Battlefield 3 Cracked To Run Without Origin, EA Sheds A Tear

What?

It happens all the time, cracked games get updates all the time, they dont have to release the official installer they can just stick all the updated files in an archive and release that.

For games the company releases patches to the public. That will not be the case here, they will be automatic through Origin only.

For games the company releases patches to the public. That will not be the case here, they will be automatic through Origin only.

Wrong, they do it for Steam games. BF3 is installed like any regular game, they can just check which files have been modified by the date on the files and put them in an archive.

if they have removed origin from the mix , then you dont have to reinstall anything , as the group who cracked the game will release the patches and the dlc from there the end user will just extract them to where ever and go play. most if not all ripping groups these days release patch packs and dlc if they release a game. its common practice with ripped steam games.

I do not think anyone actually understands how this works. BF3 will auto update through Origin. No files to download, no files available on EAs server, all through Origin. The only way to get them without Origin is to somehow intercept the download to your PC from EA, through Origin to your game. So unless the Hackers/crackers or whomever does this, how timely? What happens when they don't? You do not play, you do not get DLC or free stuff through codes.

Wrong, they do it for Steam games. BF3 is installed like any regular game, they can just check which files have been modified by the date on the files and put them in an archive.

, Sorry you are miss informed. BF3 patch files will only come through Origin, period. Without it you will not get timely updates if at all.

On a side note, calling Razor1911 "Torrent-natives" just shows naivety on the authors part. Scene groups hate it when their stuff gets spread on torrent or any P2P network.

I think what he is pointing out is their naivety in thinking this will not go viral and that only "owners" will use it. They opened a door that may be difficult to close.

Sorry you are miss informed. BF3 patch files will only come through Origin, period. Without it you will not get timely updates if at all.

I don't think you get what I'm talking about, I know the patches will only be downloaded through Origin.

Battlefield 3 is installed to a directory like any other game, once a patch is downloaded via origin it is then applied to the files, all you need to do is search for files modified by date and it will show up every file that has been patched, then you can just zip them up and distribute.

It might not be as quick as patching through Origin but many Steamworks games have had their updates released through torrents for people who use illegitimate version.

With steam.

/thread.

How? Unless this becomes a legit Steam game, ALL content, including updates will require Origin. Even if the crackers figure out a way to extract the patches from Origin, how timely will they release them?

How? Unless this becomes a legit Steam game, ALL content, including updates will require Origin. Even if the crackers figure out a way to extract the patches from Origin, how timely will they release them?

They wont release the patches, they will look at the files in the installation directory, christ.

I think what he is pointing out is their naivety in thinking this will not go viral and that only "owners" will use it. They opened a door that may be difficult to close.

ok, fair enough.

ok, fair enough.

I have nothing against EA or their methods but I do think they should have given the user the "Option" of installing and using Origin. They shouldn't force that in the user's face. I don't think a game should require such a program to run. I think its absurd. My BF3 just crashed and I bet you anything is that damn Origin application causing it.

Thats the point, we want it to be a legit steam game, ignore all the people who will pirate it, I haven't bought it yet, but to even protest even more, I don't want the piracy numbers to be high either. I want EA to realize that I wont put the effort of even pirating their game as long as they keep their crappy tactics.

If they 'must' (which we know is a lie now because of this crack) keep origin they could atleast scale it down to a mini client like GFWL, that way it could be patched internally and the game can be released without the main client, that way it could be sold and distributed on Steam.

NOW BEFORE ALL YOU SAY HEY WHAT ABOUT VALVE! Valve should also put a mini version of steam on their steamworks only games, so that they could be put on other DD system without a main client. ZOMG WIN WIN FOR THE CUSTOMER AND THE COMPANIES, NO ONE HAS EVER THOUGHT OF THIS.... well maybe Microsoft but that doesn't count apparently.

The one issue I have with origin is it is tied to the browser you first launch from, in my case I use Fx and Chrome, yet I have to run the game from Fx as it doesn't understand I use two browsers and will only set the files up for the default browser, changing the default browser to chrome stops Fx from launching the game and vice versa :(

They wont release the patches, they will look at the files in the installation directory, christ.

exactly they are just going to use a program to find which files were edited and pack them up and release them it simple. and origin patches the same way steam does and patches for steam still get out. and these are the same people who can dissassemble an exe and modify it so you dont need origin i think they can find the files origin moddifed.

However, I do not like having to wait an extra 20 seconds for Origin to start to play my game, when it does literally nothing but update. Battlelog will tell me if my game is out of date. Why do I need to use Origin 24/7, again? It's useless, in the presence of Steam with its own overlay - so quite simply, I do not use it.

Well first off, by that logic Microsoft shouldn't have released Windows 1.0 because in the presence of *nix and the upcoming Mac OS, Windows was useless. I know it's flawed logic, but so is yours. Your logic is flawed because you could say the same thing for any Steam game. I have 99% of my friends on MSN, why do I need to use Steam for Steam games? OMFG I SHOULD BE ABLE TO LAUNCH STEAM GAMES WITHOUT STEAM!

Also, please stop contradicting yourself. If you use Origin 24/7, you are not asked to wait 20 seconds for it to start between each playthrough :)

If you close Origin after each match, then you will be asked to wait for it to log you in before playing, but then that's also quite dumb.

PS: Origin also has cloud save sync, which I use (I sometimes play at my mate's house as he's better at FPS games than I am, so he can give me pointers of what I'm doing wrong). Sure, Steam does that too, but its overlay does not :)

With that, I conclude that it's not a matter of whether or not I like using Origin. It's simply that I do not like being forced to use Origin. Why should I have to use Origin when I'm already happy with its better counterpart? It only complicates things and makes me angry more than anything.

Couldn't the same argument be made for Steam? Is the only reason you like Steam the fact that you have more friends using it so you have more chatting options during gameplay? AFAIK, everything else they do is 100% identical.

Well unless you count the fact that sometimes, games can take up to a minute to get through the "Preparing to launch X" step on Steam (unsure if it's been fixed in the latest Steam Client update(s) or not).

Origin + IE (the Internet's #1 Virus Magnet) = Unnecessary waste of resources

Why are you using IE to launch the game? I know for a fact it works on Fx 8.0 Beta, and my mate uses Chrome.

Also, reference my previous post in this topic for why "waste of resources" is a useless and dumb argument.

BF3 crashes quite a bit. What makes you think it's not Origin making it crash?

Just tried to join 2 servers and look.

Next time it crashes, please click "View problem details" and paste the details here. If there's any mention of Origin in the error message (beyond the "Origin Games" install directory) then we will concede to this point. Otherwise, you're just conveniently blaming Origin for DICE's ****ty programming.

PS: Whoever said in this topic that grenades vanish when you die: This is untrue. Last night I got killed after a grenade was thrown, I got the guy and the kill points :)

exactly they are just going to use a program to find which files were edited and pack them up and release them it simple. and origin patches the same way steam does and patches for steam still get out. and these are the same people who can dissassemble an exe and modify it so you dont need origin i think they can find the files origin moddifed.

Then where is the launch day patch from these guys? The crack is only 8MB so it does not contain a patch, where is it?

I don't think you get what I'm talking about, I know the patches will only be downloaded through Origin.

Battlefield 3 is installed to a directory like any other game, once a patch is downloaded via origin it is then applied to the files, all you need to do is search for files modified by date and it will show up every file that has been patched, then you can just zip them up and distribute.

It might not be as quick as patching through Origin but many Steamworks games have had their updates released through torrents for people who use illegitimate version.

Then where is the launch day patch from these guys? The crack is only 8MB so it does not contain a patch, where is it?

Bottomline I am not risking my PC, my game or my EA purchases to circumvent the system. A - God know what else is being issued with these "cracks", sheeple are so quick to jump on a solution these hackers will quickly take advantage of this and completely compromise your system. B - Origin has zero impact on a modern PC. If your PC is having all these problems because of Origin then you need to rethink if you can even play this game, save your money and upgrade. C - EA will not take this lying down, they will start implementing ways to kill this meaning each time EA makes a change, your game will no longer work until the basement dwellers decide to release a "crack", again, not worth it. D - Again, you will now be at the whim of some basement dweller to keep your game up to date, have fun with that. Even the highly organized, highly motivated iOS jailbreaking crowd take a few days, a few days I do not want to have to wait to play my game.

I have nothing against EA or their methods but I do think they should have given the user the "Option" of installing and using Origin. They shouldn't force that in the user's face. I don't think a game should require such a program to run. I think its absurd. My BF3 just crashed and I bet you anything is that damn Origin application causing it.

You need to upgrade or atleast reload. I have had ZERO game related crashes since launch.

As I said before, it is completely illegal to take a companies software, repackage it and redistribute it. You agree to that when you sign into Origin and Battlelog, it will simply be a matter of time before EA does a quick system check for Origin, then ban those that have circumvented the program all with your approval. Not worth it.

As I said before, it is completely illegal to take a companies software, repackage it and redistribute it.

Against EA's EULA, maybe, but not illegal. In fact, many EULA's state it's fine to redistribute their stuff.

Besides, against the EULA and illegal aren't the same thing - the police won't come around to your house and arrest you for breaking an EULA.

Against EA's EULA, maybe, but not illegal. In fact, many EULA's state it's fine to redistribute their stuff.

Besides, against the EULA and illegal aren't the same thing - the police won't come around to your house and arrest you for breaking an EULA.

It is illegal. If I took MS Office, made some changes and then redistributed it with out some form of agreement with MS, I will be in serious trouble. Same with movies, music or anything else that does not belong to you. It may not be criminal but it can land you in hot water. Same way that company that used to make hackintosh computers. The legally purchased copies of OSX, built computers that it would run on and then sell them. They were sued into oblivion by Apple. Same exact concept here, taking someone else's software and redistributing it in a manner they did not intend.

Oh, but the game is so worth the money! Activision is next I'm sure, people seem to forget how hated and despised Steam was when it launched.

It might be the best game in the universe, but to me at least, no game is worth either $60 or intrusive monitoring software on my PC. If I ever get it, I'll wait until it's in the budget bin. :p

It might be the best game in the universe, but to me at least, no game is worth either $60 or intrusive monitoring software on my PC. If I ever get it, I'll wait until it's in the budget bin. :p

It's 34.95? here with shipping so I don't know where you're getting the 60$ from (I order my stuff from a VAT free off shore merchant)

It's 34.95? here with shipping so I don't know where you're getting the 60$ from (I order my stuff from a VAT free off shore merchant)

Well, seeing as a lot of folks in this thread (and the guy I was responding to) seem to be from the US, I figured it was easier if I just quoted the US $ price. ;) It's actually 40 pounds here, which is still way too much for a game as far as I'm concerned. I don't pay more than ?30 tops for games, ever, especially considering these days you'd be lucky to get more than 8 hours SP play from them...

they are not doing this for the pirates , this is for the ligit users who dont want origin since this crack came out after the release date and since you need origin to install would be pointless to release something all users have already patched too.

i agree that people shouldnt use this i barely notice origin but it is possible to update without origin.

they are not doing this for the pirates , this is for the ligit users who dont want origin since this crack came out after the release date and since you need origin to install would be pointless to release something all users have already patched too.

Ok, then what happens when EA patches the game again?