Battlefield 3 Cracked To Run Without Origin, EA Sheds A Tear

Do they need an announcement to put it on a digital platform? Files for BF3 have been found in Steam. A community manager that I spoke with said "not at launch, but after" when I asked whether Steam would have it at launch. Valve and EA are confirmed to be in talks about BF3 and future company relations.

It's coming to Steam, and you'd better believe it.

And like I said, I force myself to play this game in the state that it is in. I haven't ragequit only because my community has some servers in it.

I don't even understand the point of your question. You're not addressing the point with that question, you're just providing a red herring. If they haven't announced it, it means that at this point in time, it is not coming to Steam. EA and Valve have been working together to resolve their differences, but that doesn't mean they will. I wouldn't trust a community manager's word on anything, either, to be blunt. They're not the ones making the decisions, and sometimes they're not even fully employed by the company.

It may be coming to Steam, and I have no reason to believe that it will, for a fact. I have reason to believe it may come to Steam, which at the end of the day really means nothing. Nothing more.

Honestly Origin isn't that bad. You don't even have to manually launch it when you play, it will do it automatically.

People just like to complain IMO.

Can you be more specific, please?

Every other server lags to hell and back a few times over, a problem spawn by EA's attitude toward server hosts. If we could run our own server on our own box, we'd be the sole ones responsible for the performance. Instead, we're stuck with some host that is using too many servers on the same box.

There are so many bugs that annoy me on a quite regular basis. Off the top of my head, let's take grenades disappearing after you die for one. Often enough, you die while throwing grenades because you can't whip out your weapon in time. Now what if that nade could have very well caught 5 RPG spammers off guard and opened up a chokepoint for your team? Nope, grenade is magically gone. Same happens with RPGs.

Now what about that bug where if you try to spawn on your teammate and they die, you spawn back at base? That's a 1 minute drive or a five minute walk depending on the vehicles there. It costs you valuable support to your team.

How about the netcode inefficiencies where you're far behind cover and you're still getting shot at? Maybe there is no fix for latency, but I've seen other games handle this far better. Even TF2 with its harsh lag compensation doesn't give you many instances of headshot-behind-cover unless the sniper has 400 ping. In BF3 it's like everyone has 400 ping.

Speaking of, there are also many instances I can recount of being shot through walls, either due to my prone legs clipping or just plain bs.

Let's not forget the game's inability to save your loadout.

Those are just a few off the top of my head that make it hard to play. But there are many random glitches and unfair gameplay antics that **** me off far more than these examples ever have.

Ever experienced mortards on Seine Crossing? Running around, I still get hit by them, and the mortards ALWAYS come out on top of their team for doing nothing but sitting in spawn.

There's also a huge lack of vehicles in the main spawn, so half the team is stuck walking usually.

Lack of squads makes it hard to group up with friends in a full 64 man server.

You may think I'm just nitpicking, but all of these quarks really add up to a buggy and incomplete feeling gameplay experience. There are many more that I cannot think of right now. These are just some bugs that are so prominent that I've taken note of them specifically. This whole game is filled to the brim with bull****.

Every other server lags to hell and back a few times over, a problem spawn by EA's attitude toward server hosts. If we could run our own server on our own box, we'd be the sole ones responsible for the performance. Instead, we're stuck with some host that is using too many servers on the same box.

There are so many bugs that annoy me on a quite regular basis. Off the top of my head, let's take grenades disappearing after you die for one. Often enough, you die while throwing grenades because you can't whip out your weapon in time. Now what if that nade could have very well caught 5 RPG spammers off guard and opened up a chokepoint for your team? Nope, grenade is magically gone. Same happens with RPGs.

Now what about that bug where if you try to spawn on your teammate and they die, you spawn back at base? That's a 1 minute drive or a five minute walk depending on the vehicles there. It costs you valuable support to your team.

How about the netcode inefficiencies where you're far behind cover and you're still getting shot at? Maybe there is no fix for latency, but I've seen other games handle this far better. Even TF2 with its harsh lag compensation doesn't give you many instances of headshot-behind-cover unless the sniper has 400 ping. In BF3 it's like everyone has 400 ping.

Speaking of, there are also many instances I can recount of being shot through walls, either due to my prone legs clipping or just plain bs.

Let's not forget the game's inability to save your loadout.

Those are just a few off the top of my head that make it hard to play. But there are many random glitches and unfair gameplay antics that **** me off far more than these examples ever have.

Ever experienced mortards on Seine Crossing? Running around, I still get hit by them, and the mortards ALWAYS come out on top of their team for doing nothing but sitting in spawn.

There's also a huge lack of vehicles in the main spawn, so half the team is stuck walking usually.

Lack of squads makes it hard to group up with friends in a full 64 man server.

You may think I'm just nitpicking, but all of these quarks really add up to a buggy and incomplete feeling gameplay experience. There are many more that I cannot think of right now. These are just some bugs that are so prominent that I've taken note of them specifically. This whole game is filled to the brim with bull****.

1. Yes this is annoying, should really kick back to spawn screen.

2. Yeah, this is because BF3 moved from server-side hit detection to client-side hit detection. Really can't be completely avoided, but feels much better than in the beta. Not bothering me too much.

2. my loadouts save fine...

2. Yeah, this is because BF3 moved from server-side hit detection to client-side hit detection. Really can't be completely avoided, but feels much better than in the beta. Not bothering me too much.

2. my loadouts save fine...

You're absolutely right - it does feel better than Beta by a long shot, when I was shooting people only to have the damage not register when I die. It's still not what I'd expect from a triple A game developer. Few games have given me so much crap with the netcode. The other have all been indie with amateur engines.

When I change only a scope, it does not save. I have to go thru the process of changing to the right scope, spawning with another weapon entirely, then switching back to the scope equipped weapon to make it save. Camouflage never saves.

Only saw three problems in your post ((1)lags, (2)grenades disappearing after death, "bad netcode" (back to lags), (3)"buggy" spawn system, shot through walls (again referring to bad netcode and lags), and the non-existing problem of the game unabling to save your loadout) . The majority of the problems you have (lags, "bad netcode" and you being shot far behind cover), are the result of the same problem that you were talking about; Some of servers are hosted on boxes that host multiple other servers, resulting in all of them lagging because the box is not powerful enough to run so many servers. To solve that, is really easy. Just join a different server. Preferably one that pings under 50 for you. I'm playing on servers that ping 12 to me, and have never experienced any lag problems. Some servers are even taking the matter into their own hands, and lowering the number of player for maps. Saw some servers that couldn't handle 64 players maps, so they lowered it to 54. Lowered the load for them and made the game playable for the players too.

Now I agree about the disappearing grenades after deaths. It's an annoyance, and doesn't really have to happen. Multiple times I died in a tank after just survived for long enough to make the last shot, and kill the other vehicle before he killed me. Resulting in both of us dying, and destroying both of each other's vehicle. The same with sniper kills, from a large distance. Happened that both me and the one I was aiming at, died when we both hit eatch other's head upon exchanging SVS rounds. Don't know why the same can't happen when you exchange [rocket propelled] grenades too.

And the third "bug", is not really a bug (it's like I'm talking to Rooster69 all over again). When you use the auto spawn system on a target that is re-captured or killed, it can't be used to spawn on it. So the game switches your spawn point to the safest one for you; your base. Now if it selected the next spawn point on the list and it was filled with enemies capturing the point or enemies that just finished gang raping one of your squad members, then you would say it's a buggy spawn system because it gets you killed. What you need to do, it just don't use the auto spawn system on a capture point that gets recaptured (it blinks for your own warning), or a squad member that is under heavy fire (he's surrounded by bullets flying around him). Just wait until the spawn counter finishes counting and then select the best target to spawn on. No need to hurry, and then later complain that the spawn system is "buggy".

When I change only a scope, it does not save. I have to go thru the process of changing to the right scope, spawning with another weapon entirely, then switching back to the scope equipped weapon to make it save. Camouflage never saves.

First time I hear about that problem. And I've read a lot of whining on the official forums.

Have you tried creating a post on the official troubleshooting forums?

edit: Wait, just noticed the "spawning with another weapon entirely" part. Each faction, got a different set of weapons.

When you switch sides, you also switch the loadouts for the kits, too. Maybe that's what you're talking about?

Only saw three problems in your post ((1)lags, (2)grenades disappearing after death, "bad netcode" (back to lags), (3)"buggy" spawn system, shot through walls (again referring to bad netcode and lags), and a the non-existing problem of the game unabling to save your loadout) . The majority of the problems you have (lags, "bad netcode" and you being shot far behind cover), are the result of the same problem that you were talking about; Some of servers are hosted on boxes that host multiple other servers, resulting in all of them lagging because the box is not powerful enough to run so many servers. To solve that, is really easy. Just join a different server. Preferably one that pings under 50 for you. I'm playing on servers that ping 12 to me, and have never experienced any lag problems. Some servers are even taking the matter into their own hands, and lowering the number of player for maps. Saw some servers that couldn't handle 64 players maps, so they lowered it to 54. Lowered the load for them and made the game playable for the players too.

Now I agree about the disappearing grenades after deaths. It's an annoyance, and doesn't really have to happen. Multiple times I died in a tank after just survived for long enough to make the last shot, and kill the other vehicle before he killed me. Resulting in both of us dying, and destroying both of each other's vehicle. The same with sniper kills, from a large distance. Happened that both me and the one I was aiming at, died when we both hit eatch other's head upon exchanging SVS rounds. Don't know why the same can't happen when you exchange [rocket propelled] grenades too.

And the third "bug", is not really a bug (it's like I'm talking to Rooster69 all over again). When you use the auto spawn system on a target that is re-captured or killed, it can't be used to spawn on it. So the game switches your spawn point to the safest one for you; your base. Now if it selected the next spawn point on the list and it was filled with enemies capturing the point or enemies that just finished gang raping one of your squad members, then you would say it's a buggy spawn system because it gets you killed. What you need to do, it just don't use the auto spawn system on a capture point that gets recaptured (it blinks for your own warning), or a squad member that is under heavy fire (he's surrounded by bullets flying around him). Just wait until the spawn counter finishes counting and then select the best target to spawn on. No need to hurry, and then later complain that the spawn system is "buggy".

First time I hear about that problem. And I've read a lot of whining on the official forums.

Have you tried creating a post on the official troubleshooting forums?

I have a few friends that experience the exact same loadout problems as I. I'm pretty sure at least one of them has brought it up on the forums to no avail already.

As for the servers, I've stated multiple times that the only reason I stick around this game is because of my gaming clan and community. We pay for two dedicated boxes with remote desktop, which results in a hefty bill each month. We have more than enough CPU time to run a 64 man conquest on our own box, yet EA does not let us do this.

EA does not want to release its server files, mod files, or anything that would allow any bit of player control over their game. The result is that we are stuck with a "trusted EA partner" host that scammed us out of 125$ for two servers that lag all the time. At such a premium, we could have dedicated our entire second rented box to them for the same price. EA won't let us do that, though.

@Spawns: If it's really a feature, why does it seem like a bug? Ask yourself. Wouldn't it be more intuitive to simply disable the auto-spawn and force you to choose another point than immediately spawning you at the base you do not want to go to?

^ Looks like you missed my edit. And I saw plenty of modded servers, so you're not really locked by the EA/DICE to anything.

Hell, servers are so modded right now, that it's practically cheating. There are servers that you can reach the maximum rank, from a single round. Some servers are open, only for others to learn to fly the jets (game starts after there's only one player on the server).

And they're not forcing the auto-spawn system on you. It's you that turn it on, by clicking on the timer. It doesn't turn itself on by itself.

Surely they can make the server browser in-game, no? And make other Steamworks features optional.

Regarding Steam's offline mode, well, there have been plenty of complaints of it not working. Not as overblown as the whole Origin thing though, of course not.

No they can't :) Others feature like the patch system, VAC, friend list and so one are very important when it comes to a MP game.

Anybody wanna elaborate why some people call Origin "trojan" or "spyware"?

Keep in mind that I don't care if it sends back my hardware configuration and/or IP address to their servers, I always click accept for those things anyway.

Any light on this matter would be appreciated :)

This is hilarious. Origin is the worst thing that EA has ever forced on their customers.

...because...?

I honestly think people complain to complain. I have zero issue with Origin or the Battlelog, I am a very longtime gamer and the Battlelog was a major change for me but have gotten uses to it. As for EA servers, that's the way I like it. Tired of all the people in past games hacking their servers and max out rank and weapons. You can not do that when the servers are not yours. I honestly think the only people complaining ARE the ones that want to be able to hack up the game tom cheat and boost.

Also, can someone provide any actual proof that Origin is spyware or any different than Steam?

This is hilarious.??Origin is the worst thing that EA has ever forced on their customers.

Other than your opinion, why? Also, what is your gamer name for BF3? Would be embarrassing if you never even used Origin.

This is hilarious. Origin is the worst thing that EA has ever forced on their customers.

I agree. There is absolutely NO need for this garbage to run on the background for the game to play but yet they force you to run it otherwise the game won't run. This is ridiculous and very disrespectful to the user. The Xbox and PS3 version does not use Origin in any way, shape or form, why stick that crap up our noses on the PC version? Origin is a resource hog and it has absolutely NO business running.

Origin is just like Steam (though less mature), and while I would rather have BF3 on Steam, I don't see what the problem is.

The problem is very simple: It is using resources. When you are playing a game such as BF3, your PC needs all the resources it can get. This game is no joke on the system. It requires a lot of power and memory to run perfectly. When you have this Origin garbage running in the background along with Internet Explorer (what a joke), guess what? Now the PC has to divert resources to those applications as well.

i honestly think that most of the crashes on BF3 are caused by that Origin piece of shi.....

I agree. There is absolutely NO need for this garbage to run on the background for the game to play but yet they force you to run it otherwise the game won't run. This is ridiculous and very disrespectful to the user. The Xbox and PS3 version does not use Origin in any way, shape or form, why stick that crap up our noses on the PC version? Origin is a resource hog and it has absolutely NO business running.

The problem is very simple: It is using resources. When you are playing a game such as BF3, your PC needs all the resources it can get. This game is no joke on the system. It requires a lot of power and memory to run perfectly. When you have this Origin garbage running in the background along with Internet Explorer (what a joke), guess what? Now the PC has to divert resources to those applications as well.

i honestly think that most of the crashes on BF3 are caused by that Origin piece of shi.....

Your FUD is ridiculous. Origin uses very little resources at all. Also, Tom's hardware has a really good article, BF3 is GPU dependent not CPU so the few cycles Origin and your browser take up is miniscule. And if someone's computer can not play this game simply because of Origin and an Internet browser running it's time to upgrade.

Your FUD is ridiculous. Origin uses very little resources at all. Also, Tom's hardware has a really good article, BF3 is GPU dependent not CPU so the few cycles Origin and your browser take up is miniscule. And if someone's computer can not play this game simply because of Origin and an Internet browser running it's time to upgrade.

The point is: THERE IS NO NEED FOR ORIGIN.

Norton uses the same amount of resources as MSE nowadays. Do I want to install it? NO! Just because Origin uses X amount of ram less than Steam does NOT mean that I want to run and use it. Listen to yourselves. Do you all install worthless software with no purpose just because it runs on less ram than its leading competitor?

So there's no real performance impact in running Origin. Cool. I still don't want another tray icon and more crap cluttering my desktop.

This crack proves that Origin has no purpose. There is literally no technical reason we cannot simply download the patch files from a web server or torrent and do it without Origin. Tell me again, why should I use Origin?

<p>

The point is: THERE IS NO NEED FOR ORIGIN.

The point is:??WHO CARES!??It effects NOTHING. What it did do was enable me to play the beta 2 days early, pre-load BF3 and play the second it was live and restored a few of my store bought games I could no longer find. So if I can get all that from a program that has ZERO impact on my PC and can be minimized and never touched again while playing, so be it.

Norton uses the same amount of resources as MSE nowadays. Do I want to install it? NO! Just because Origin uses X amount of ram less than Steam does NOT mean that I want to run and use it. Listen to yourselves. Do you all install worthless software with no purpose just because it runs on less ram than its leading competitor?

This crack proves that Origin has no practical purpose. Tell me again, why should I use Origin?

It brings allot of added functionality to my games. Pre-loads for one. No standing inline for me on release day. Just fire my PC up 1 sec after midnight and I was playing. That alone is worth the cost of admission, which happens to be nothing.

Hey Scorbin and Reacon, do you even USE Origin???If so, what is your BF3 name???I have a suspicious feeling you guys do not even use the program you condemn.

I think this is the same hate as when Valve released Steam, but Steam is great now, and EA wants to do the same with Origin. Personally other than the fact that I couldn't get BF3 working for 3 days, Origin's just there running in the background. Everything else is handled on Battlelog.

<p>

The point is: WHO CARES! It effects NOTHING. What it did do was enable me to play the beta 2 days early, pre-load BF3 and play the second it was live and restored a few of my store bought games I could no longer find. So if I can get all that from a program that has ZERO impact on my PC and can be minimized and never touched again while playing, so be it.

It brings allot of added functionality to my games. Pre-loads for one. No standing inline for me on release day. Just fire my PC up 1 sec after midnight and I was playing. That alone is worth the cost of admission, which happens to be nothing.

Hey Scorbin and Reacon, do you even USE Origin? If so, what is your BF3 name? I have a suspicious feeling you guys do not even use the program you condemn.

We'll the very fact that EA says it is required, and that it would be impossible to offer the level of service they need, with another client is a lie, I don't see why it cannot be for both Steam and origin. Other than greed ofcourse.

Still, before anyone says anything, I think all games should be client free, except for that of a mini client such as gfwl.

Hey Scorbin and Reacon, do you even USE Origin? If so, what is your BF3 name? I have a suspicious feeling you guys do not even use the program you condemn.

Seriously? How do you think I'm playing BF3 if I haven't used Origin before? Origin name is Reacon4 (the "4" is the product of terrible EA account systems, which didn't allow me to pick names I have used in the past ON THE SAME ACCOUNT). I used it to install, but I am no longer online on it because of the patch Razor1911 was so generous to provide me with. I play BF3 quite frequently, however. Add me on Battlelog.

Pre loading could have been done just as easily as letting people who have bought the game download the files. Since, you know, you still have to login to Battlelog and all. Don't open Battlelog until release and there you have it. A pre-load.

All the functionality that Origin "added" to my game I replaced by simply adding my portable Chrome instance into Steam to get the overlay in BF3. Works flawlessly, and doesn't destroy my FPS.

Hmm. My 2 cents is Origin acts as an anti-piracy measure, because you have to use a legit key to activate the game that game is then tied to that account. As far as I know there is no otherway to "Redeem Product Key" on their website. thus Origin is required to ACTIVATE, not play. So in the end, Origin is required.just not all the time.

For all you idiots saying stuff about pirating it, as it states you needa legit key.