Are Americans really this prude?!?

How's this one for criticizing your country? Kiwis are a bunch of sheep ****ers and savage cannibal warriors. Is that a pretty good stereotype? It is about as accurate as stating that Americans can't find another country on a map or that they are offended by bare boobs.

Hmm... I just realised how hard it is to respond to something like this without sounding defensive or attacking you.

I guess I'll just say that we haven't eaten anyone in about 100 years. I can't speak for the sheep ****ers though. :rofl:

Hit a nerve have they?

No, I just live in a different time-zone to you, plus I was up until 3AM last night and only got up at about midday, so that's why I took a long time to reply.

Edit: (I assumed you were talking about me, if I was mistaken then just ignore this)

Typical from someone who seems to think all Americans are dumb - i actually went to a school where we learned every country on every continent. Go ahead and try me since you think i'm of lower intellect. I'm pretty sure i said nothing about your country much less addressed you it was for the Europeans who seem to think that we're a bunch of prude people who don't care to see some of this stuff that gets tossed around the news.

I don't think you're of lower intellect, it's just a common stereotype of Americans that they don't know very much outside of their own country, and I thought I'd see what reaction it got.

I don't think you're of lower intellect, it's just a common stereotype of Americans that they don't know very much outside of their own country.

You are greatly mistaken. Many Americans have been all over the world. Some have even made it to New Zealand. That being said this topic is really dealing with a Grown Women being naked in front of a child. It is not being a prude to believe that this is wrong. There is a time and place for everything and to be naked and filmed in front of a child is just wrong.

Grown ups being naked in front of children happens every day for parents. Take your opposite sex kid to a swimming lesson and I'm sure you'll bring them into your gender's change room rather than let them go in the change room for their gender all by themselves. If for no other reason that they would take all day and you wouldn't be able to go get them and bring them out.

Wow, a little upset are you? The reaction was far more than "a few hundred people bitching to the FCC". I'm sorry but I just don't believe what you're saying. I think if a poll were placed on a prominent home page like Yahoo, etc, asking if nudity and profanity should be allowed on TV, I don't think you'd see anywhere near a minority saying no. I think it would definitely be a majority no. If a large majority of the people didn't care, then we wouldn't be catering to a few whiners. The reality is that it's not a tiny minority like you make it sound.

I don't think a huge amount of people were necessarily insulted by the Janet Jackson thing, but I think that aside from the really hardcore anti-nudity people, most people understood that it was an accident, but I still don't think most people would have accepted it if it were a planned part of the show. I've been here all my life and never once gotten the impression that the majority of people wouldn't care if nudity and stronger language were allowed on TV.

Regardless, to say that the US is just as accepting of all of that as European countries would be absolutely ridiculous to say. It's not even close. We are all about shielding everyone, especially children, from anything that could be "bad". In a lot of other more tolerant countries, kids grow up learning how the world actually works. That's why we have ratings systems on every form of entertainment.

I dunno, I haven't seen anywhere where a poll like that has been done, so I can't say for sure how many people side one way or another, but the impression I get from the country is not that of a very small minority.

Na, your wrong. It IS only a few hundred people, but the problem is that few hundred people have a few hundred million in the bank apiece, and can control what the us deems as "upsetting" Money runs everything, and you can pretty much lobby anything. Im almost positive that if I had the $$$ to do it, I could lobby congress to change all of the science books to say that the sky is really pink, and birds are really unicorns. Thats what ****es me off.

Grown ups being naked in front of children happens every day for parents. Take your opposite sex kid to a swimming lesson and I'm sure you'll bring them into your gender's change room rather than let them go in the change room for their gender all by themselves. If for no other reason that they would take all day and you wouldn't be able to go get them and bring them out.

This is true but the photographs are not plastered over the Net.

Typical idiots over-reacting... I really hate the direction this country is going, totally not what our founding fathers wanted. Wish I could create my own country for tech geeks and gamers and be done with all of this politically correct BS! :p

• Like 2

Typical idiots over-reacting... I really hate the direction this country is going, totally not what our founding fathers wanted. Wish I could create my own country for tech geeks and gamers and be done with all of this politically correct BS! :p

Read some of the comments in the OP. Many are not over-reacting. I would not have even known about this if I did not see it in this forum.

I think that it is very strange for most of the Americans to say such things because the cartoons that are shown to kids these days are, in my opinion, a lot more disturbing. Secondly, I really do not see a problem here. I mean do you see people attacking the nudists no. Just because someone is a celeb we feel the need to nitpick at every little thing.

I think that it is very strange for most of the Americans to say such things because the cartoons that are shown to kids these days are, in my opinion, a lot more disturbing. Secondly, I really do not see a problem here. I mean do you see people attacking the nudists no. Just because someone is a celeb we feel the need to nitpick at every little thing.

This is true, you have to look at the source. TMZ is like an online version of The National Enquirer.

This is true but the photographs are not plastered over the Net.

Well, the post was not about showing your t*ts on the internet but about being naked in front of your child.

And I still don't see the issue with that

This is true, you have to look at the source. TMZ is like an online version of The National Enquirer.

I do not think that TMZ is a source of anything, I mean yes it provides the information and the announcer people (yes I seriously forget what they are called right now lol) do infact provide their opinion, but it is not really the source of anything. People in the USA are just so hypocritical and they like to find fault in every little thing. I'm from the USA and I think most of the people here are bloody idiots lol. People just need to stop taking trivial things so seriously and just need to relax. I just find it amusing that we are supposed to be a country of great acceptence, however, if you are not with the norm or in the status quoe then you are looked down at. Another example of the hypocritical nature of the USA. :D

*snip*

I just find it amusing that we are supposed to be a country of great acceptence, however, if you are not with the norm or in the status quoe then you are looked down at. Another example of the hypocritical nature of the USA. :D

Most people who claim to be tolerant are the same way, though--they expect others to accept their views, but don't accept those that are different than their own. It's odd.

After reading everything. I have concluded Stoffel is a troll. And you all are feeding into exactly what he wanted.

WHAT?????

I just wanted to know what people here on Neowin thought about being naked in front of your kids.

That's exactly what i asked in my original post

Most people who claim to be tolerant are the same way, though--they expect others to accept their views, but don't accept those that are different than their own. It's odd.

No, it's just American. ;)

Well, the post was not about showing your t*ts on the internet but about being naked in front of your child.

And I still don't see the issue with that

There is no problem with walking around your house naked. Hell, when I get out of the shower I will walk around naked to get something before I go in my room and dress. I can put a bet that a lot of us have walked around in our houses or flats naked once or twice.

Now if she were doing something to herself or posing in a sexual manner with her son in the area, yeah there would be an issue with that.

You are COMPLETELY WRONG. Come here to NYC and say that again

Lets see. I am in a suburb of long island. I get my breakfast and lunch from a deli owner who is 1st gen South Korean, I get my coffee from a crepe place who the owner is from turkey and wife is russian (1st gen) , MY friend at work is First gen equadorian, I get my sometimes eat at a sandwich shop who's owner is from afghanistan, and I help people at work who are from haiti and all over south and central american. All 1st generation.

This is only whats here by me at work. I can come up with more if people like.

My mom came to the US when she was 16 and had me at age 24 she's from Poland. I'm 1st gen. american. I grew up in a small town and got hated and abused and crap becuase of that. ****ed me off. That's why i became a bully in school.

I do not think that TMZ is a source of anything, I mean yes it provides the information and the announcer people (yes I seriously forget what they are called right now lol) do infact provide their opinion, but it is not really the source of anything. People in the USA are just so hypocritical and they like to find fault in every little thing. I'm from the USA and I think most of the people here are bloody idiots lol. People just need to stop taking trivial things so seriously and just need to relax. I just find it amusing that we are supposed to be a country of great acceptence, however, if you are not with the norm or in the status quoe then you are looked down at. Another example of the hypocritical nature of the USA. :D

As does The National Enquirer. I would not Equate TMZ as a valid source of information as I would say NBC News, CNN. At best TMZ is a source of gossip at best. Without the Net, it would not exist. :) I also would not say that the USA is hypocritical by nature. :)

My mom came to the US when she was 16 and had me at age 24 she's from Poland. I'm 1st gen. american. I grew up in a small town and got hated and abused and crap becuase of that. ****ed me off. That's why i became a bully in school.

I am second generation and had some of the same treatment as you did.

Why am I not surprised to see people here painting all 300 million + Americans as being the same. Newsflash: Americans are far more diverse than people of any other single country on Earth. Now stop generalizing about everyone here. :rolleyes:

Thank you for saying exactly what i thought as i read the topic title. (Y)

Na, your wrong. It IS only a few hundred people, but the problem is that few hundred people have a few hundred million in the bank apiece, and can control what the us deems as "upsetting" Money runs everything, and you can pretty much lobby anything. Im almost positive that if I had the $$$ to do it, I could lobby congress to change all of the science books to say that the sky is really pink, and birds are really unicorns. Thats what ****es me off.

So can you blame us for having the perception that a lot of Americans are kinda prud(ish, i'm still not sure when to use what)

After reading everything. I have concluded Stoffel is a troll. And you all are feeding into exactly what he wanted.

I'm actually quiet offended by this.

What do you base your conclusion on?

I just wanted to see what other people thought about the reactions on that post and how they feel about being naked in front of there kids

The attitude towards nudity varies in the US depending on city vs. rural, ethnicity, religion, politics, and the local culture, but overriding all of this is an endemic political correctness that enforces not offending anyone.

Example: taking artistic nude photos of women in public areas will enrage not only very religious folks but the very liberal feminists because it "makes women into sex objects." See the documentary Naked in America for the troubles involved.

When I was a kid on the farm we all went skinny dipping in the back-40 ponds from childhood to high school, just as our parents had. All very religious, all very traditional folks and most all 3-4 generations removed from Europe; Swedes, Poles, Norwegians, Finns, Germans, Netherlanders, Greeks etc. We're talking a time when most of us didn't have city water, just a well and an outhouse with 3 holes, so you took baths in the kitchen in a tin tub brought in from the shed. Privacy? What's that? :p

Now - does that mean I want my grandkids to happen across some Occupy-X types having sex in front of Baskin-Robbins? Some bimbo gratuitously exposing herself on TV with no valid context? No way in Hell.

Would I let them watch a legit film like Meredeth Baxter Birney's TV film My Breast about a woman breast cancer, which included nudity? Yup. Watch a film with a small amount of non-grossout nudity? Depends on the film.

I live in the rural South and people here are ultra prude. Even the mere mention of sex is enough for a lot of them to break out in hives. It's sort of funny, because behind closed doors they do all sort of weird things.

hahaha!!! thats funny! :)

My parents used to be "naturalists" when i was a kid... we all used to walk around nekkid..! gets u a good tan! nothing wrong with it, but some of the comments on that site were fantastic!!! :)

seems more people wigged out by what the boobs look like, and the kids pimple ...! heck... the kid saw and fed off of them for the first part of his life..! and that was up close n personal..!

i dont think saying all 'mericans are prudes, but my old lady lives in the US now, and even she said that it is quite a majority of narrow mindedness she experienced in her travels around the country! i think the whole bloody world needs to just learn to relax... i mean, take the UK and its obsession with health and safety...!!! now that is quite stupidly ridiculous!!!

just my 5c :rofl: