How I Talked My Son Out Of An iPhone

For full article

How I Talked My Son Out Of An iPhone

Samsung-Focus-Flash-165x300.jpg

My son?s desire for an iPhone reached an almost belligerent state of desperation this year.

He was so determined to get one that he winnowed his wish list down to this single item so I

would not be distracted by socks or video games when shopping for him. My husband and I

had decided to relent and get him one. I wasn?t buying the ?all the other kids have one?

argument (though a lot do). But I was hoping that Cole would find an app to help him keep

track of school assignments. Then a funny thing happened.

Microsoft?s PR department asked me if I would like to try out a new Windows 7.5 (code-named

Mango) phone. I said yes out of a sense of professional obligation. I had given up ? years ago

? on seeing a Windows mobile operating system that I would want to live with. I?d been hearing

good things about the new Windows mobile but wasn?t really buying in. A box arrived containing

a Samsung Focus Flash. And within a few days I found myself so dependent on it that I forgot

where my own phone was. One day, I left it on the counter in the kitchen. And my son picked it

up and played with it.

Later, he took me aside for a serious conversation. ?I don?t want an iPhone,? he said. ?I want one

like that ?.? He pointed to the Focus Flash in my hand. But he looked troubled ? breaking with

his friends was giving him pause. I assured him that he should get what he wanted not what other

kids wanted. He nodded, scratched out the one item on his wish list, wrote in ?phone like yours,?

and handed it to me, grinning.

I love my Focus. I bet if more people would actually pick up a WP7 and play with it, they'd be sold on them too.

• Like 3

I'm an AT&T sales rep and we talk as many people as we can out of getting iphones lol. We make hardly any commission on them (made $1 yesterday on one -__- ) and recommend an android alternative instead. We have the Focus S (or Flash?) on display but it's not a live demo, so I've never gotten to play with one. Since I've worked there, I don't think I've sold a single windows phone, mainly because we never get them in and we don't even know how to sell them. One of our regional managers has one and says he loves it and prefers it to android by far. Hopefully we'll get some in eventually.

I love my Focus. I bet if more people would actually pick up a WP7 and play with it, they'd be sold on them too.

I had an HD7 for a while, and grew tired of its limitations (the fact that it was on T-Mobile which has terrible 3G coverage around me didn't help matters either). Got rid of it for (at first) a G2, but of course I still had the 3G coverage issue. I finally dumped T-Mobile altogether for a Milestone X (same phone as a Droid X) on CSpire and couldn't be happier!

Makes me laugh when people confuse buying the best smartphone on the market for "going with the crowd", theres a reason people buy it, APPS!!!!!!!!

Smart people who do research on the product and then buy it because they do their research to make sure it suits there needs buy things. All other people are dumb and buy it because of mega advertising or because thats what their friends have. I lost count on how many people buy things because its cool or because their friend/family/neighbor/coworker has one.

I recommend Android...but like I told my brother in-law the other day who is looking to get an iPad2, do your research on the products available before you buy a tablet. Otherwise you are dumb.

I'm an AT&T sales rep and we talk as many people as we can out of getting iphones lol. We make hardly any commission on them (made $1 yesterday on one -__- ) and recommend an android alternative instead. We have the Focus S (or Flash?) on display but it's not a live demo, so I've never gotten to play with one. Since I've worked there, I don't think I've sold a single windows phone, mainly because we never get them in and we don't even know how to sell them. One of our regional managers has one and says he loves it and prefers it to android by far. Hopefully we'll get some in eventually.

that seems to be the problem with the WP7 marketing at the moment.

erm, seeing how Android has the biggest market share YOU DID GO WITH THE CROWD lol

I have had an Android since the G1 was released. G1, myTouch, Galaxy S, and now the Galaxy Nexus. So I went Android BEFORE it was popular and had the biggest market share. Theres a difference. :)

• Like 3

Hopefully most people are smart enough to go with what they want then to a salesman who's only interested in lining their own pockets.

• Like 3

This guy sounds like a douchbag. He is basically saying that he refused to get his son the present he actually wanted [a iPhone] because he for whatever reason has something against it. He then admits to only getting the son a present when the son decided to get a Windows phone, just like he did.

i have both andriod 2.3.3 and ios 5. ios feels and seems years ahead of driod. Ios5 is very polished and streamlined and does everything that i have tried better. Not saying IOS5 is better for you, but its drastically more enjoyable for me. If someone asks me, i recommend IOS5.

lol how do i get into a program for testing it like that, i have tested many things for microsoft in the past just never a phone.

Makes me laugh when people confuse buying the best smartphone on the market for "going with the crowd", theres a reason people buy it, APPS!!!!!!!!

Most of the apps people actually use/need are on WP7.

• Like 2

This guy sounds like a douchbag. He is basically saying that he refused to get his son the present he actually wanted [a iPhone] because he for whatever reason has something against it. He then admits to only getting the son a present when the son decided to get a Windows phone, just like he did.

why is "she" a douchebag? The iPhone costs a whopping $198.01 more than the $0.99 Focus Flash. Isn't that a factor anymore? (assuming her son wanted latest & greatest iPhone)

• Like 2

lol how do i get into a program for testing it like that, i have tested many things for microsoft in the past just never a phone.

Get into their advertising team.

BTW what a poor attempt by Microsoft :(

Ahh where does it say that they refused to get him an iPhone?

Because i read this:

My husband and I

had decided to relent and get him one.

Kids shouldn't have expensive cell phones to begin with.

• Like 4