How I Talked My Son Out Of An iPhone

I'm an AT&T sales rep and we talk as many people as we can out of getting iphones lol. We make hardly any commission on them (made $1 yesterday on one -__- ) and recommend an android alternative instead. We have the Focus S (or Flash?) on display but it's not a live demo, so I've never gotten to play with one. Since I've worked there, I don't think I've sold a single windows phone, mainly because we never get them in and we don't even know how to sell them. One of our regional managers has one and says he loves it and prefers it to android by far. Hopefully we'll get some in eventually.

lmao so your against iPhone because you don't make commission on them... you talk them down for that reason.... wow...

I really am thankful i don't like commissioned based sales. If someone came in and wanted an iPhone, ill find out why. If i can get them something better and cheaper (especially for younger kids, etc) then I will, but if they have an iPhone or have tried android / wp7 and want iPhone, then ill let them have it, not pull the "well its gotten better now, give it a try" **** so i can make commission off it..

Regardless, People need to choose what they want because THEY want it. Ive had an iPhone since the 3GS. I am very interested in WP7 and have played with it enough but its not where it needs to be for me to love it yet. Android is for techies, and as much as I like to tinker, with my phone I want a stable experience, even If i jailbreak my iPhone, as long as I don't alpha un trustable apps, i won't ruin the experience of pulling it out of my pocket and using it. Any android phone I've had, CM has been the most stable but I want the out of box experience to be that good before i even think of rooting it.

i have both andriod 2.3.3 and ios 5. ios feels and seems years ahead of driod. Ios5 is very polished and streamlined and does everything that i have tried better. Not saying IOS5 is better for you, but its drastically more enjoyable for me. If someone asks me, i recommend IOS5.

thank you

Or you could simply tell him no.

OT. Parents telling a child of today 'no', priceless :)

More like the phone talked him out of getting an iPhone.

• Like 1

Wow what a surprise he writes an article gushing over how amazing Windows Phone is after getting a free WP7.5 device from Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!

+1

Whahaha kinda funny but yeah, iphone is getting outdated small changes and is going to walk behind other devices :/

Makes me laugh when people confuse buying the best smartphone on the market for "going with the crowd", theres a reason people buy it, APPS!!!!!!!!

Windows Phone Marketplace just broke the 50,000 Apps barrier. I think, that's more than sufficient for everyone.

• Like 2

Wow what a surprise he writes an article gushing over how amazing Windows Phone is after getting a free WP7.5 device from Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!

These reviewers are not paid to write a positive a article. They are not paid at all.

Nor is the device 'given' to them.

They only get it for a fixed amount of time, after which they have to return it to Microsoft. Microsoft can in no way influence his opinion.

That's the norm, for reviewers and companies.

• Like 2

Windows Phone Marketplace just broke the 50,000 Apps barrier. I think, that's more than sufficient for everyone.

Not really... we're looking a a huge majority of entirely crap feed readers, ebooks, or other useless junk. Microsoft really need to go ahead and ban those templated RSS readers... And even then, most of the big apps tend to be "phoned in" and generally just suck - i.e. Facebook, Twitter, eBay, etc, or half finished, like Kindle, Amazon (which didn't even make it out of the US), IMDB, Skydrive, etc. They're not being made by people with experience and passion, they're being made by people who got a cheque to get something out in 2 months, and although it appears to "bolster" the platform, it still rather sucks.

Granted most marketplaces are full of junk too, but atleast on iPhone, there's a large collection of high quality apps. The worst part is is that with the metro design language, people forget that it's actually a "DESIGN language", and not a "get rid of everything and put frick all effort into design" paradigm, so we end up with a whole bunch of super ugly ones too :p

And then something like over 5,000 of those 50,000 have been delisted or removed at some point, and they're not all available in all regions, etc.

And then something like over 5,000 of those 50,000 have been delisted or removed at some point, and they're not all available in all regions, etc.

iOS has that problem too. Even an App as simple as Bing, isn't available outside USA.

But that problem has more to do with the developer, than the corporation.

lmao so your against iPhone because you don't make commission on them... you talk them down for that reason.... wow...

Haha, yeah, I guess partly. But I honestly recommend the Galaxy S 2 over the iPhone either way. Usually once I mention the iphone's weak durability, lack of expandable storage, and no 4g support, they're wanting to hear more about android anyway. But if they want an iphone, then that's what I'll give them. I've sold so many that they no longer count as actual sales. Our store can only sell like 15% iphone / go phones before they don't count as a comissioned-based sale for us.

With that said, I like the iphone's UI and style, but that's about it. The other employees here are legitimately unhappy iphone users, so they recommend alternatives as well. But yeah. I'm actually at work right now and we've got two Focus S's in our stock, but no live demos. Wish we could have some out on display; they seem like interesting devices.

Apart from games.

Now, now. WP7 has Angry Birds, and some of the other popular games too. I've found out, this is my opinion now, that the iOS version of a game runs at a better frame rate and look better graphically than their WP7 counterpart. This is subjective, obviously. When I made a quick tweet about it, someone who ran a WP7 fan site thought the opposite.

With that said, I like the iphone's UI and style, but that's about it. The other employees here are legitimately unhappy iphone users, so they recommend alternatives as well. But yeah. I'm actually at work right now and we've got two Focus S's in our stock, but no live demos. Wish we could have some out on display; they seem like interesting devices.

That's what bugs me about phones. I've been looking all over town for a live Galaxy Nexus, but I keep running into dummy phones. The only live phones I see are iPhones.

A live display of the Focus helped me decided on it for my work phone.

For me it is about the eco system. My kids have iPod Touch's and robust iTunes libraries. They will get iPhones when they are ready. Not because I make them (I have Android) but because it is economically smart. Why have to buy all that stuff again? They are digging my Gallaxy S II LTE and may jump ship, only time will tell.

I have had an Android since the G1 was released. G1, myTouch, Galaxy S, and now the Galaxy Nexus. So I went Android BEFORE it was popular and had the biggest market share. Theres a difference. :)

No difference to the people who bought an original iPhone then? but I'm guessing they were 'sheep' when they bought a phone which had zero market share at the time, whereas you were some sort of rebel for buying an Android phone?

Nobody outside of the geek scene cares about the politics, they just want a phone that works, impresses them and enriches their lives - and for many people the first phone that did that was an iPhone so calling people sheep because they continue with a device which has served them brilliantly in the past isn't as dumb as you make it sound..

• Like 2

No difference to the people who bought an original iPhone then? but I'm guessing they were 'sheep' when they bought a phone which had zero market share at the time, whereas you were some sort of rebel for buying an Android phone?

I meant people buying a different product or wanting a product because someone else has it. Like some who has a dumb phone or never had a smart phone/tablet product and buying it because they followed the crowd. I have been with Android for a long time, since the beginning, but periodically look into other devices as well. I don't like Apple as a company but have said many times they have good products...they just are not for me same as WP7.

And I never used the term sheep...so nice try. Some people hear what the want to hear I guess. :) If you have an iPhone from the start and continue down that road, great...it suits you.

Well it is certainly not hard to figure out who the fan boys are. I mean a lot of the arguments I see here in favor of the iPhone have been posted by someone else and just put in your own words. The main one I see if based around "i like massive amounts of apps that I never really use, but because iOS has so many apps I think it is the best phone.."

The WP7 is a true competitor and the only reason, and this is my opinion, but supported by factual information, it is not as 'popular' as the other OS is because of poor marketing. People need to remove their two cents when selling a product unless asked for it.

I went into bestbuy mobile to get a new phone and right away this guy started saying how I should get this new iPhone because of all this 'new' stuff they added. Surprise, Surprise, who had an iPhone? The seller.

I personally prefer the WP7 phones. Why? Because it is clean, simple to use, and it is not lagged down by an over glorified UI. The phone has great apps and they all, in a way, feel right at home in the phone because of their metro build. I have used every phone OS and still if I try to use any other phone besides the WP7 it just feels weird.

As for you people saying that this is a junk post or stupid or say that she is posting this to promote MS, you are an idiot. What I got from this is the kid is smart and is using a phone that he likes and is comfortable with. fan boys, deal with it and stfu. Thanks. :)

• Like 2

I talked myself out of a WP by.. going back to my old job and trying one out.

How bad of a vibe did I get from WP? Bad enough to stick to my old Symbian phone.

Later, he took me aside for a serious conversation. ?I don?t want an iPhone,? he said. ?I want one like that ?.? He pointed to the Focus Flash in my hand. But he looked troubled ? breaking with his friends was giving him pause. I assured him that he should get what he wanted not what other kids wanted. He nodded, scratched out the one item on his wish list, wrote in ?phone like yours,? and handed it to me, grinning.

How old is this kid? 7? Why do such young children need a smart phone for?

I talked myself out of a WP by.. going back to my old job and trying one out.

How bad of a vibe did I get from WP? Bad enough to stick to my old Symbian phone.

Saying that Symbian is better than Windows Phone 7 is ridiculous.

• Like 3

For me it is about the eco system. My kids have iPod Touch's and robust iTunes libraries. They will get iPhones when they are ready. Not because I make them (I have Android) but because it is economically smart. Why have to buy all that stuff again? They are digging my Gallaxy S II LTE and may jump ship, only time will tell.

Apple has a good eco system. I like how the kids don't need a credit card to buy things on their iPod touch or even setup an iTunes account. I know that Apple isn't the first to do this, but it was frustrating setting up the Kindle Fire for the first time and its persistence about keeping a CC on file...

Nobody outside of the geek scene cares about the politics, they just want a phone that works, impresses them and enriches their lives - and for many people the first phone that did that was an iPhone so calling people sheep because they continue with a device which has served them brilliantly in the past isn't as dumb as you make it sound..

Well said (Y)

Saying that Symbian is better than Windows Phone 7 is ridiculous.

One gets 10h+ use time, the other one doesn't. Guess which one does.

Also the WP UI is just f*cking abysmal - the guys at my old workplace call it "diarrhea" and they have to actually program for it. It is the worst user interface I have ever seen on a phone and for gods sake I've used Ericsson phones in the 90s.

Makes me laugh when people confuse buying the best smartphone on the market for "going with the crowd", theres a reason people buy it, APPS!!!!!!!!

Quantity != Quality

You realize these two posts simply refute each other. Funny how that's the only way you can convince people.

You also realize that someone who wants "APPS!!!!" would go with Android? Many companies make their applications free on Android and paid on iOS.

This guy sounds like a douchbag. He is basically saying that he refused to get his son the present he actually wanted [a iPhone] because he for whatever reason has something against it. He then admits to only getting the son a present when the son decided to get a Windows phone, just like he did.

Reading comprehension not yoru strong suit ?

I really am thankful i don't like commissioned based sales. If someone came in and wanted an iPhone, ill find out why. If i can get them something better and cheaper (especially for younger kids, etc) then I will, but if they have an iPhone or have tried android / wp7 and want iPhone, then ill let them have it, not pull the "well its gotten better now, give it a try" **** so i can make commission off it..

Regardless, People need to choose what they want because THEY want it. Ive had an iPhone since the 3GS. I am very interested in WP7 and have played with it enough but its not where it needs to be for me to love it yet. Android is for techies, and as much as I like to tinker, with my phone I want a stable experience, even If i jailbreak my iPhone, as long as I don't alpha un trustable apps, i won't ruin the experience of pulling it out of my pocket and using it. Any android phone I've had, CM has been the most stable but I want the out of box experience to be that good before i even think of rooting it.

of course they don't want to sell something they don't make any money on. at my store we don't sell iPhone's at all, for this very simple reason, we don't make any money on them, Apple illegally requires extra training to be allowed to sell them, which you have to pay for(at this point we're now losing money), and they have ridiculous requirements of reporting your iPhone stock to them every day(now we're losing even more money due to extra work).

Generally I will sell the customer what he needs. but if we're not makign money on it, then we're not selling it at all. losing money means the shop can't afford to hire people. meaning no job.

100 million fart/guns/girls in swimwear apps, that's enough to make me switch to iCAMP.... /s

You keep telling yourself that son.

One gets 10h+ use time, the other one doesn't. Guess which one does.

Also the WP UI is just f*cking abysmal - the guys at my old workplace call it "diarrhea" and they have to actually program for it. It is the worst user interface I have ever seen on a phone and for gods sake I've used Ericsson phones in the 90s.

WP7 is the smart phone with the longest battery time I've seen and used. and my HTC Trophy with a crappy htc battery gives close to 10 hours and lasts over two days with use without charging if I need it to. that's over twice as long as any other smartphone.

But I don't see how battery time is a problem as long as it lasts a full day anyway.

• Like 1