F1 World Championship 2012 Thread

it was kind of boring, was hoping for rain.

great race from Ferrari & RBR.

MGP really have find something to make their car quick, they are getting overtaken by Sauber :\

Indian ESPN commentator was saying "Massa is BACK" & "now Button is McLarens' Massa" :p

anyways, i think its clear that RBR are the team to beat now.

Maldonado again, how many cars is he going to knock out of the race before the FIA do something about him, I hope he loses his seat next year.

Next year? They need to pull his Super License like they did with Yuji Ide.

haha Vettle: "Champagne is a girls drink...it only tastes good on the podium!"

DC "spoken like a true German"

:rofl:

What a joke:-

Kamui Kobayashi and Pastor Maldonado have been fined by Silverstone race stewards for their wayward driving in the British Grand Prix.

Sauber driver Kobayashi was hit with a ?25,000 fine for knocking over three of his team's pit crew entering his box on lap 37 after braking too late and locking his car's front brakes

Meanwhile, in a separate investigation, stewards handed Williams driver Maldonado his third different penalty in four races after he was again found to be at fault for causing a collision, which for the second time in those races involved Sauber's Sergio Perez.

Stewards, however, again found Maldonado in the wrong and gave him the double penalty of a ?10,000 and a reprimand.

I guess money does talk, I am disgusted that this clearly talentless twunt who is only driving because of his wealthy father (who coincidentally bailed Maldonado out when he ignored red lights and paralysed a marshall while he was driving in Formula Renault) gets to keep his seat.

I had a chat with a mate and I floated the idea of having a cap on how much a 'paid driver' can bring into a team, maybe it would stop the talentless people like Maldonado throwing millions at a team to buy a racing seat. Then people would get taken on based on merit alone not how much money daddy can bribe them with.

Why was Kobayashi fined? I don't understand that at all?

And by the Silverstone race stewards? Do they mean the FIA race stewards?

The Maldonado incident to me again looked like a copy of the Hamilton incident from Valencia where there is a deliberate turn into the other car, in this case Perez.

Kick him out.

A pretty abysmal race for the Brits on the grid but I don't think you can be too harsh on teams choosing the wrong strategy. They had barely any dry practice and no one could have said which combination of tyres would be fastest - who would have thought the difference between a HHS and a SHH strategy could be so significant?

The problem wasnt the strategy, I think Ferrari took the S too early in the race to make it work...Alonso's tyres were not that bad and could do another 4/5 laps.

Anyway, about Maldonaldo didnt he give a tyre bump in Valencia to someone? And in the first couple of laps who pushed Kimi out of the track?

Why was Kobayashi fined? I don't understand that at all?

He ran over his own pit crew because (by his own admission) he approached the pit box too quickly and locked his front wheels. That's very dangerous driving and the injuries could have been a lot worse considering the cars are approaching at 60mph.

I saw what happened, but it was a complete accident which of course he would not want to happen? I see no need what so ever to fine him for crashing into his own pit crew? He's going to be mortified already!

I saw what happened, but it was a complete accident which of course he would not want to happen? I see no need what so ever to fine him for crashing into his own pit crew? He's going to be mortified already!

I think the FIA (and the world) expects Formula 1 drivers to be able to park their car up safely. They have to send a message that it's unacceptable behaviour.

How would you feel if all accidents went unpenalised?

You really have to be careful if you're starting on the grid near Dildonado. If you think his accidents so far are bad, you haven't seen anything yet. He's a disaster waiting to happen.

Didn't really enjoy that one although I was happy to see Webber rather than Alonso or Vettel winning.

And McLaren's lack of pace is alarming at the moment. It seems they really are falling way behind. And +1 on your comment with Maldonado, the guy's a liability. I agreed with Sergio, he has no respect for other competitors.

Perez on Maldonado: ?He?s just a very stupid driver??

Pastor Maldonado was fined ?10,000 and given a reprimand by the FIA after his contact with Sergio Perez at Silverstone.

Both drivers had just made their pit stops when they collided as the Sauber tried to go around the outside of the Williams. Perez retired on the spot.

There has long been some tension between the two Latin American drivers, and Perez added to it in the aftermath of his retirement, saying of Maldonado ?he has no respect for other drivers? and ?he is just a very stupid driver.?

Maldonado insisted that he has simply lost control on cold tyres.

?I was on the inside of the corner, so the corner was mine at that moment,? he said. ?He tried to close on me a bit, we were side-by-side, so close, and at that moment I lost the rear of my car and I just touched him.?

Asked about Perez?s comments, he said: ?He?s always crying. In Monaco it was a normal incident. I think we need to value where it?s intentional and where it?s not. For sure it was clear it was not intentional.

?I?m looking forward to the next race and he can say whatever he wants. We are racing, you know, both of us were trying to do our best in the track. I was trying to defend a position, he was trying to gain the position, and this is racing you know. Otherwise everyone can race with the safety car, and it?s safer.?

I didn't think I could detest Maldonado any more than I already did, he has contempt for everyone, its never his fault its always someone else.

Self entitled, rich, daddys boy, he needs to be slapped down a peg or two before he kills someone.

Well, I somehow managed to get out from the campsite!! It was proper muddy :(

Got some photos of my weekend, not any good ones of F1 cars though as I only have my phone, which I'll post up a bit later if anyone interested.

Maldonado is a case of overtake with caution. Unlike most drivers who will give room he just drives his line regardless. I also put Massa in this category. Personally I think this is lack of skill. I still love that shot in Valencia at the start of the race on board with Alonso. He reacts so quickly to a can he's about to go into the back of.

I must say I never really rated Alonso but after watching him more closely this season that guy really is the best on track.

The other 20odd cars can manage to drive safely, Maldonado is the only driver who consistently drives like a petulant child, "oh you pushed me off, well here I am ramming into the side of you", you shouldnt have to make provisions or special rules to avoid other drivers, they should have the skill and "race craft" to drive and pass in a safe manner.

Even if the other driver is at fault and you get pushed off the track you dont then put your foot down and continue on your line.

• Like 2

Agreed. The FIA need to clamp down on it. They seemed to have no problem with penalising Montoya for his stunts so why is Maldonado getting away with it?

FIA to disable use of DRS under yellow flag situations during F1 races

Formula 1 drivers will no longer have the ability to use DRS under yellow flag conditions from now on, AUTOSPORT has learned, after the FIA acted to clear up the controversy around Michael Schumacher's final lap in Valencia.

Schumacher had to see the stewards after finishing on the podium in the European Grand Prix, when Red Bull Racing claimed he had used DRS after yellow flags had been shown.

The stewards decided not to take action, however, because they judged that Schumacher had slowed down for the warning signals - even if he had used DRS for a short period of time before turning it off.

With that situation prompting discussion among drivers - especially after Sebastian Vettel and Felipe Massa were punished for using DRS under yellow flags at the Spanish Grand Prix - FIA race director Charlie Whiting agreed to look into the matter over the Silverstone weekend.

It is understood that Whiting informed the drivers before the race about how behaviour under yellow flags would be treated by stewards going forward.

He informed them that from now on, drivers would primarily have to 'demonstrate' that they slowed down sufficiently - with the use of KERS or DRS of secondary importance.

However, to limit the possibility of any confusion about the use of DRS in such a situation, the FIA said from now on it would disable the use of the overtaking aid whenever there was a yellow warning flag displayed in the DRS zone at each race.

The new ban on the use DRS during yellow flag periods was implemented for the first time at the British Grand Prix in the wake of the collision between Pastor Maldonado and Sergio Perez.

Before that ruling was laid down, Schumacher had said that he was always under the impression that as long as drivers slowed down for yellow flags then there should not be a problem.

"There are two basics to this one [yellow flags and DRS] and people seem to mix them up," he said. "There is no rule that says if you use DRS in a yellow zone that you automatically will be penalised. Depending on when it happens, you can prove that where the accident is you go slow and you significantly reduce your speed. Whether you use DRS or don't use DRS, that is another story.

"But obviously if you use DRS from points A to point B, and you use 100% DRS, then it is likely that you have not slowed down and therefore you get a penalty."

Source: Autosport

Glad they have finally decided to step in and use some common sense. I'm surprised they didn't consider disabling DRS under yellow flag scenarios before :/

Glad they have finally decided to step in and use some common sense. I'm surprised they didn't consider disabling DRS under yellow flag scenarios before :/

Yeah I'm surprised this wasn't already the rule. Wow.

Webber will stay with Red Bull Racing for the 2013 Formula 1 season

Mark Webber will stay with Red Bull Racing for the 2013 Formula 1 season, the team has announced, ending speculation that the Australian could be in line for a move to Ferrari.

Webber has been on year-by-year deals with Red Bull for several seasons, and had been linked with a switch to Ferrari to partner Fernando Alonso in 2013.

But the reigning champion team has now completed a contract extension with the British Grand Prix winner, who said staying put alongside Sebastian Vettel was the most logical option.

"I've been with Red Bull Racing since 2007 and have achieved nine grand prix wins during that time," said Webber.

"I'm high on confidence at the moment and firing on all cylinders. I know the team well and I'm very comfortable here; we have grown together over the years and it feels like absolutely the right thing to stay with Red Bull for another season.

"The team is constantly working hard to improve in all areas and we've shown that together we can win races.

"It's great to be able to make this announcement off the back of the win in Silverstone at the weekend and I'm looking forward to competing on the edge and pushing myself in every race again next season."

Team boss Christian Horner added: "Mark has driven very well in the first nine races of this season and his performance has been impressive. Much of his Formula 1 success has been during his time with Red Bull Racing and together we have achieved 10 poles, nine wins and 31 podiums.

"As there was a strong desire from both sides to continue the partnership, it was a logical decision to extend our relationship and it is with great pleasure that we confirm Mark will drive for us in 2013."

Webber joined Red Bull at the start of the 2007 season. The 35-year-old Australian has finished third in the championship for the past two seasons, and was a long-time points leader in 2010. Webber is currently Alonso's main rival for the 2012 title, closing to within 13 points of the Spaniard when he beat him at Silverstone.

Source: Autosport

Interesting choice considering how much he was sidelined in 2011. He is doing well this year though I'm happy for him, realistically there was nowhere else for him to go anyway, I think only Massa's seat is going to be up for grabs next year though Ferrari may just settle for him if the McLaren boys don't want to move.

The two main variables in the driver market for 2013 now are Felipe Massa and Michael Schumacher. I can't imagine the former keeping his cockpit, which begs the question: Which good driver is willing to play #2 to Fernando Alonso? Sergio Perez maybe?

Schumacher is motivated and enjoying himself now he has a reasonably competitive car. He will race on for another year.

As to Lewis Hamilton, imho he has no alternative but to stay at McLaren. He sure isn't going to join Alonso at Ferrari, and all other top cockpits are occupied for 2013.

I think it is good news. Webber has had a good season so far and is exciting to watch. When he is fighting further down field he is always fun to watch. Also really who is there to take his seat? The only driver you could think of would be Hamilton but i can't see him leaving Mclaren.