Handcuffed Girl, 20, In A Coma After being Tased. Police not Charged

I find it funny how cops in America just taze people for running away, over here they have to be posing a danger to your life before you can use that level of force. Not "Oh I really cannot be bothered to run after that person, I'll taze them"

she should have run at first place and this wouldnt had happen. If she would escape and run over one of you family member, then you would complain about police not doing their job. Give me a break...

See, this is where I expect the police officers to use their logical reasoning skills. She has her hands cuffed behind her back. She can barely even open a door for herself. How exactly do you think this 20 year old girl is going to manage to escape multiple trained police officers without any arms? I dunno, I feel like some of you have the kind of thinking that will ultimately end up with us in a police state. What I was trying to ask was what would police do prior to having a taser? Would they have chased her, or would they have shot her dead right there for running? I highly doubt the situation would have called for murdering the suspect, in which case, it equally should not call for tasing.

The other side of the argument... If you don't want to be tased, or even handcuffed, then don't do the crime. And if you do commit a crime, don't run from the cops! It's very sad, but it's not wholly the officer's fault.

here's another thing to consider, though. what if youre NOT committing a crime, but the officer just gets ****ed off and tazes you?

the fact is, tasers are dangerous and are used WAY too much and WAY too liberally. being that i have a heart condition, i could get tazed and die. what if im screaming at the police "dont! i have a heart condition!" and the officer just doesnt care? i die.

For every action, there is a reaction.

Someone said that police are here to protect and serve it citizens...Well, in this case it is my opinion, and my opinion ONLY that the officer did.

Here is what I know from some of the articles I have read about this story and comments.

Woman was in the process of being arrested after causing two accidents (two hits and run).

Woman was high on drugs, which probably impaired her judgment.

Woman tried to escape while in custody, and was running away from police personnel.

Woman was tassered, and during fall suffers brain damage.

So, here goes the what if's.

If the woman had not had two hits and run she should not have been arrested.

If the woman had not been high on drugs perhaps she would not have crashed or tried to escape.

If the woman fled the scene she could have cause another accident while running from police, possibly endangering the life of other citizens.

So, while I totally agree that the user of tassers should be a last resort, if you look at the data/facts, the officer actually acted in the best interest of the citizens. Now, like someone else said, if she felt her rights were being abused, simply take the beating, get legal counsel and then get a sh$#$%$ load of money from a lawsuit.

Sad ending indeed, and I don?t think anyone can deny that, but I fail to see where the officer is the guilty person here.

• Like 1

You think police always act right and that those tased, pepper sprayed, beaten, and other forms of abuse are all guilty and deserving??? Ok, you apparently have shown no knowledge of real world events, and thus, negated yourself from having a proper discussion. Again, learn what a police officer is supposed to do. They are not supposed to judge you. They can not determine if you are guilty. EVERYONE IS INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY IN A COURT OF LAW. What part about that does EVERYONE just not understand, and then they give the reason that police should be abusive and act like a person is guilty, before even judged.? Just baffles me how many do not even get the first concept of our justice system.

chris-tucker-quote.jpg?cda6c1

"Have mistakes been made? Yes. But not nearly enough of those incidents were caused by pure negligence or corruption to warrant me being fearful of the Police or to feel that my rights and freedoms are being violated in any way. The vast majority of cases, people resist and generally act like idiots."

here's another thing to consider, though. what if youre NOT committing a crime, but the officer just gets ****ed off and tazes you?

the fact is, tasers are dangerous and are used WAY too much and WAY too liberally. being that i have a heart condition, i could get tazed and die. what if im screaming at the police "dont! i have a heart condition!" and the officer just doesnt care? i die.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your argument is that Tazers should be restricted because one day a bored Police officer could randomly select you to be his bitch and taze you, resulting in you having a heart attack and dying?

Okay then. Well, the above situation aside, perhaps you should consider your heart condition and think about what you're doing before putting yourself in a realistic situation where you might be tazed by Police.

chris-tucker-quote.jpg?cda6c1

"Have mistakes been made? Yes. But not nearly enough of those incidents were caused by pure negligence or corruption to warrant me being fearful of the Police or to feel that my rights and freedoms are being violated in any way. The vast majority of cases, people resist and generally act like idiots."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your argument is that Tazers should be restricted because one day a bored Police officer could randomly select you to be his bitch and taze you, resulting in you having a heart attack and dying?

Okay then. Well, the above situation aside, perhaps you should consider your heart condition and think about what you're doing before putting yourself in a realistic situation where you might be tazed by Police.

Acting as you say, "like an idiot" is not grounds for killing a person. If you don't value human life that much, you probably shouldn't have an opinion about human rights.

Here are some quotes that everyone should remember.....

All concerns of men go wrong when they wish to cure evil with evil.

The evil that is in the world almost always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack understanding.

Evil is done without effort, naturally, it is the working of fate; good is always the product of an art.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

The creed of evil has been, since the beginnings of highly industrialized society, not only a precursor of barbarism but a mask of good. The worth of the latter was transferred to the evil that drew to itself all the hatred and resentment of an order which drummed good into its adherents so that it could with impunity be evil.

Apathy and evil. The two work hand in hand. They are the same, really.... Evil wills it. Apathy allows it. Evil hates the innocent and the defenseless most of all. Apathy doesn't care as long as it's not personally inconvenienced.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

The small man thinks that small acts of goodness are of no benefit, and does not do them; and that small deeds of evil do no harm, and does not refrain from them. Hence, his wickedness becomes so great that it cannot be concealed, and his guilt so great that it cannot be pardoned.

Those who choose not to empathize enable real monsters, for without ever committing an act of outright evil ourselves we collude with it through our apathy.

I can't believe the posts here. It's like a bunch of kids making pointless statements. I saw lols, HER FAULT, his fat... WTH!!!??? There is human being in coma. A living person in coma because of a cop with a teaser gun that lead it to get hit on the head in a parking lot floor. She is only 20. Drugs, or no drugs, driving with or without a license, charge by hit and run. None of that does it matter.

She maybe was a sad person without her parents.

People, please be a human being too.

I can't believe the posts here. It's like a bunch of kids making pointless statements. I saw lols, HER FAULT, his fat... WTH!!!??? There is human being in coma. A living person in coma because of a cop with a teaser gun that lead it to get hit on the head in a parking lot floor. She is only 20. Drugs, or no drugs, driving with or without a license, charge by hit and run. None of that does it matter.

The thing is, you, like a few others, are actually thinking about another person. Too many people nowadays are too self centered. They believe that since their lives are so easy and non complicated, everyone elses are. They believe that since they spend all day on the computer and never run into any problems with the law, that no one else , unless they are a criminal, would. Their view on the world and people is so narrow, that it only encompasses them.

that fat pig cop should at least get charged with man slaughter

We must be watching different videos. I see a cop wearing a freaking vest - which makes it appear they have 50-60 extra body pounds.

I thought it was just common knowledge that if you are going to try to run from a cop you should wear a helmet! :rofl:

Soon we will just have to expect a beating due to having the cop have to do his job :p

FYI: PRESSTV is the propaganda arm of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, so expecting anything close to balanced US coverage from them might be a tad unreasonable.

Context is everything and the OP has none. Someone's pre-conceived notions are showing.

This woman was originally arrested for two hit-and-run auto accidents and driving without a license - very serious stuff. She had slipped out of her cuffs (skinny) in the prowl car, they were re-applied, then she was taken into the station. Before she could be taken to the secure area she made a run for it (charge #4 - felony escape) and was tasered in the lot.

Sorry, but with an escaping prisoner who is younger & faster than the cop for whatever reason he has both the right and responsibility to apprehend her under the Fleeing Felon Rule. The taser is an appropriate option at so close a range since the injury rate from them is only 0.3%, far lower that a firearm or other more aggressive means including tackling.

Now - did the taser injure her? Not really. The cause of her coma was falling and striking her head on concrete (the lot), which could have happened anyhow because of her being cuffed while attempting to run during her escape attempt (off balance.) She could have just as easily hit her head being tackled, but either way this was HER FAULT!!

http://www.baynews9....-handcuffs.html

Taser did not injure? Let's have you consciously electrocuted (in non-lethal volts of course and ask you how it feels. Tickles right?

Which is precisely how it was used! Guess he should have just shot her :p

The secondary effect that she fell and hit her head happened because she was running in an unbalanced condition (handcuffed) - HER FAULT! He could have used a bolas, thrown a nightstick at her feet or whatever, the result wiuld likely have been the same. Not to mention she was stoned out of her mind & heading for a freeway.

Jeezzz.... Just when do you start to invoke personal responsibility on her part?

While I agree with you mostly, I don't totally

My reference to shooting her was sarcasm re: your comment, hence the tongue smiley. Sheesh.

Look - if she managed to get to the freeway she'd have put others at risk, and anything of reduced lethality including her own running could well have ended up the same way: going head-first into the pavement.

Kobayashi Maru

Let's see, she was high as a kite on cocaine and Oxycontin and had just been arrested for leaving the scene of two hit and runs, then she tried to run out of the police station while running towards traffic. It's very unfortunate that she fell and hit her head but you know, cry me a river. One less crackhead endangering us and our families on the highways. That said the cop was a tub of lard and our police force should be in better physical condition than that. He did nothing wrong however, the consequences were of her own making.

It's called manslaughter for a reason,

Her own damn fault. Police shouldnt have to chase down a suspect and i am sure she was given a warning to stop. What happened before while they were off camera?

:rofl: police should not have to chase down a psychologically influenced individual. Oh that is funny. It's explained. While i agree with THIS case's outcome, I DON'T agree with tasering. It should be illegal and hurts like .... well i'd choose childbirth first.

DocM nailed it on the head: don't put yourself in a position that you have to be handcuffed. Stop committing criminal acts. End of list.

Sorry but that is assanine.

I'll restate my point. You are using your opinion whether what they were doing was wrong or not. Don't put yourself in that gray area.

If you feel your rights are being violated, calm yourself and let it all sort out. Arguing with police officers will get you absolutely nowhere. If you have a complaint after it's all done, seek legal council. Trying to fight your way through it in the heat of the moment will get you into that gray area you don't want to be.

Running from the police when you have handcuffs on is definitely not a gray area.

While you are right, its called heat of the moment for a reason. People don't think 'reasonably' in these moments.

What if it was the hulk... What if they had a gun.... Let's not do what ifs, and go off of facts.

Fact - Was a woman. Fact - Hands handcuffed behind back. Fact - Cops are trained in many ways to subdue a person and should be physically fit to chase a suspect down. Fact - this cop did not even bother to chase, and instead, went directly for a less lethal form of subdueing, which has now caused her to be in a coma, over a non violent offense.

You think police always act right and that those tased, pepper sprayed, beaten, and other forms of abuse are all guilty and deserving??? Ok, you apparently have shown no knowledge of real world events, and thus, negated yourself from having a proper discussion. Again, learn what a police officer is supposed to do. They are not supposed to judge you. They can not determine if you are guilty. EVERYONE IS INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY IN A COURT OF LAW. What part about that does EVERYONE just not understand, and then they give the reason that police should be abusive and act like a person is guilty, before even judged.? Just baffles me how many do not even get the first concept of our justice system.

ALMOST QFT, but lets also be real, it is JUSTICE IS BLIND and everyone SHOULD BE INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY IN A COURT OF LAW.

NO! The amount of worthlessness for human dignity on this site and irl is disgusting. so what if she dies? So what if he died that would be a tragedy then. and cries of afoul would run loud. also being 'sad' doesn't justify her actions. the drugs explain it not justify it. He should at least be removed from the force.

Soon we will just have to expect a beating due to having the cop have to do his job :p

yea really. All this post 9/11 hysteria is nuts in itself.

:rofl: police should not have to chase down a psychologically influenced individual. Oh that is funny. It's explained. While i agree with THIS case's outcome, I DON'T agree with tasering. It should be illegal and hurts like .... well i'd choose childbirth first.

So, we should just use bullets instead of tasers then.....

And yes cops shouldnt have to chase down criminals but they do since people are not always compliant. That girl would still be walking and talking now if she would of just stayed put and did as she was told.

And whats funny is what would of happened if that girl ran out into traffic while she was hopped up on drugs and was killed? The cops would of probably been blamed as well for not handling the situation properly.

Maybe her parents should of raised her better.

And yes cops shouldnt have to chase down criminals but they do since people are not always compliant. That girl would still be walking and talking now if she would of just stayed put and did as she was told.

And whats funny is what would of happened if that girl ran out into traffic while she was hopped up on drugs and was killed? The cops would of probably been blamed as well for not handling the situation properly.

welll as long as it is not a head shot.. chances are survival is higher in her situatuation.

that is bs. oh you murdered somebody please get in my police car so i can book you and you may go to jail. There is no good way to handle it I'm judge jury executioner. Lets taser you! you slept with an unmarried woman. arrrrgh

Are you in law enforcement/politics?

Cops shouldn't have to chase down speeders either then. Just shoot the car with a rocket launcher and case closed. Hell, Police shouldn't even have to deal with any type of person. Any time a person commits a crime, police should just dispose of them right there.

The girl would still be perfectly fine if they would have chased her more than 5 feet out the door. Instead, cops are getting lazy, and looking for the easiest way out. You don't become a cop looking for a easy job. You don't become a cop because " it might be a hassle ". But sadly, people let this stuff fly, and when you do that, you are only opening the door for more of it to happen to others.

Police brutality reports are on the rise right now. More of it is happening than ever before. And sadly, a lot of people are just fine with it, because it hasn't involved them in it specificly, or anyone they know. But again, letting cops get away with it will ultimately lead it to you sooner or later.

welll as long as it is not a head shot.. chances are survival is higher in her situatuation.

Ok, you'll have to explain this one. How is shooting someone in the torso less dangerous than tasing them?

It was the fall that killed her, not the Taser. She could have fallen after being shot as well. And let's not forget the whole bleeding to death thing.

Ok, you'll have to explain this one. How is shooting someone in the torso less dangerous than tasing them?

It was the fall that killed her, not the Taser. She could have fallen after being shot as well. And let's not forget the whole bleeding to death thing.

It's equally dangerous. not less. :yes:

And you know the fall was not the kill because............................

let the ME determine that. um my hypothesis is that oxy+coke+electricity shocks killed her. she prolly was brain dead before hitting that pavement.

let the ME determine that. um my hypothesis is that oxy+coke+electricity shocks killed her. she prolly was brain dead before hitting that pavement.

It's a good hypothesis. One can not judge how another shall act when confronted with electrical shock.

that is bs. oh you murdered somebody please get in my police car so i can book you and you may go to jail. There is no good way to handle it I'm judge jury executioner. Lets taser you! you slept with an unmarried woman. arrrrgh

Are you in law enforcement/politics?

Cops shouldn't have to chase down speeders either then. Just shoot the car with a rocket launcher and case closed. Hell, Police shouldn't even have to deal with any type of person. Any time a person commits a crime, police should just dispose of them right there.

The girl would still be perfectly fine if they would have chased her more than 5 feet out the door. Instead, cops are getting lazy, and looking for the easiest way out. You don't become a cop looking for a easy job. You don't become a cop because " it might be a hassle ". But sadly, people let this stuff fly, and when you do that, you are only opening the door for more of it to happen to others.

Police brutality reports are on the rise right now. More of it is happening than ever before. And sadly, a lot of people are just fine with it, because it hasn't involved them in it specificly, or anyone they know. But again, letting cops get away with it will ultimately lead it to you sooner or later.

This girl was a dumbass, drugged up, committed a crime, and resisted arrest. If she wasnt so damn stupid, she would be fine. She knows how the law works and is old enough to know better. And like someone else commented earlier, the same thing could of happened if she was tackled buy the officer. But hell, I guess the cop should of let the girl run away (possibly) instead of doing anything and then maybe her next hit/run will kill someone. I feel no sympathy for her.

I always find it funny that these police brutality videos never/hardly ever shows/states what happens before the incident.

This girl was a dumbass, drugged up, committed a crime, and resisted arrest. If she wasnt so damn stupid, she would be fine. She knows how the law works and is old enough to know better. And like someone else commented earlier, the same thing could of happened if she was tackled buy the officer. But hell, I guess the cop should of let the girl run away (possibly) instead of doing anything and then maybe her next hit/run will kill someone. I feel no sympathy for her.

I always find it funny that these police brutality videos never/hardly ever shows/states what happens before the incident.

I find no law that states " If you are on drugs and run from the cops, you will be shot..." or anything like that. Looks like you live in some horrible world for that to be law. I find it sad that you condon the loss of life for such petty events and actions. I'm sure next time a cop sees you speeding, you wouldn't have any problem with him shooting a warning shot into the back of your window... you know, because you are being an idiot and breaking the law....

Did you see the video? She hit her head pretty hard and started to get back up. Then said she couldnt get up and the cop said he didnt want her to. Which is what cops tell suspects to do normally. It was a couple minutes after she hit her head that she had issues.

If the woman didnt run, she would be fine and there would of been no need to be chased/tasered. Its the girls own fault.

Did you see the video? She hit her head pretty hard and started to get back up. Then said she couldnt get up and the cop said he didnt want her to. Which is what cops tell suspects to do normally. It was a couple minutes after she hit her head that she had issues.

If the woman didnt run, she would be fine and there would of been no need to be chased/tasered. Its the girls own fault.

If the cop didn't taser her , she would still be fine... See, it works both ways. gasp.

I find no law that states " If you are on drugs and run from the cops, you will be shot..." or anything like that. Looks like you live in some horrible world for that to be law. I find it sad that you condon the loss of life for such petty events and actions. I'm sure next time a cop sees you speeding, you wouldn't have any problem with him shooting a warning shot into the back of your window... you know, because you are being an idiot and breaking the law....

Yes, because thats exactly what I said...if you are on drugs and run from the cops, you should be shot. And again, have a pity party all you want for her. It was her fault...maybe the parents should of raised her better.

And I have no worries about being shot or chased down by the police because I obey the law. And there is a difference between speeding and being arrested, charged with drugs and a hit/run.

If the cop didn't taser her , she would still be fine... See, it works both ways. gasp.

No, it doesnt. Her running started everything and how do you know she would of been fine? She was on drugs and probably out of her mind. She could of very well ran infront of a car and kill herself as well as others.

Yes, because thats exactly what I said...if you are on drugs and run from the cops, you should be shot. And again, have a pity party all you want for her. It was her fault...maybe the parents should of raised her better.

And I have no worries about being shot or chased down by the police because I obey the law. And there is a difference between speeding and being arrested, charged with drugs and a hit/run.

Wow, pretty delusional. I bet you break the law in many ways you wont admit. No one is perfect, and to expect as much from a regular citizen is outlandish. You must be on a pretty tall pedistal.