Rate the Windows 8 Consumer Preview

405 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Windows 8 Consumer preview

• 1 - Utter failure.
    • 10 - Perfect.

also, it literally took me 10 minutes on first use to figure out how to shut down. i had to actually go to the internet to figure it out. why? dumb.

Exactly! I've let my Mom my Dad and my friend use my Windows 8 laptop. For all of them I say "Ok now tell the laptop to restart! It should be easy right? pretty common thing" All of them tried for over 2 mins, sometimes longer in the end couldn't figure it out and asked me to to do it."

And now you know where it is... you won't have that much trouble again.

That's not the point. The point is, a basic task like shut down or restart is confusing a lot of people.

How many people have done phone support with customers that couldn't locate a button, labeled right in front of their face? How will these people be Find buttons that you actually have to touch the side of the screen to make appear?

• Like 2

Contrary to some others, I love the new UI as a desktop interface. I'm glad they finally introduced new UI features, controls and paradigms and it's unfortunate not everyone gets used to it. I LOVE some of the apps, they're a joy to use,

I'd give it an... 8 :laugh: It's good but I agree it needs some touch-ups like an easy way to shut things down, horizontal mouse scrolling everywhere, and I would've wished some of the default apps were just a little more polished but there's always the feedback tool.

Also, get over the dissapearance of the start button, it's a good thing it's gone. Some people really sound like it's useless on a desktop, I got to say it multitasking & Charms works super fast once you get used to it, using the corners is really cool.

Contrary to some others, I love the new UI as a desktop interface. I'm glad they finally introduced new UI features, controls and paradigms and it's unfortunate not everyone gets used to it. I LOVE some of the apps, they're a joy to use,

I'd give it an... 8 :laugh: It's good but I agree it needs some touch-ups like an easy way to shut things down, horizontal mouse scrolling everywhere, and I would've wished some of the default apps were just a little more polished but there's always the feedback tool.

Also, get over the dissapearance of the start button, it's a good thing it's gone. Some people really sound like it's useless on a desktop, I got to say it multitasking & Charms works super fast once you get used to it, using the corners is really cool.

I agree. I too, have rated an 8. I really like it. As for being on a low-end computer that's over nine years old, Windows 8 works really well, of course not everything is perfect for the beta, but as for day to day things I normally do with Windows 7, it's better. I'm very happy to see that they let aero on for low-end PCs, and letting us choose how to control it a bit better in managing the windows. Metro is cool to me, never had a problem since the 29th, but beyond the looks, it works smooth, I look forward to getting Windows 8.

also, it literally took me 10 minutes on first use to figure out how to shut down. i had to actually go to the internet to figure it out. why? dumb.

Same here! :s

if i could find a workaround for this pathetic marvel adapter controller bug i might actually be able to install it and try it out :/

I ran it for little over a day and I hated it to its core. If they do not do something fast this will be an epic fail unlike anything ever seen in the tech/OS world..

I ran it for little over a day and I hated it to its core. If they do not do something fast this will be an epic fail unlike anything ever seen in the tech/OS world..

It's looking that way.

I rate it 7/10. Good overall considering some amazing features which makes our life easier like unified copy dialogues, push button reset, fast boot times, speed, security, etc...But its not without some controversies regarding the two interfaces.

This reminds me of when Vista came out. It was loathed because people had to change the way they did things because of UAC, the prevalence of search, libraries, superfetch, etc. Now they've gone and done it again by changing the Start menu into something where you can run apps.

It is a solid OS. For most parts, save for the start screen. I never like to browse my list of apps. I pin the ones I need the most. And the taskbar provdes an easily accessible list that for most parts, is out of the way. For others, I use search. The start menu search too provides a mechanism that doesn't get in the way much. But the start screen throws the list of my apps in my face and I cannot bear that. Plus, its too big and contains too much information. Don't like that at all. Give me a search bar in the taskbar or even a Quicksilver like app and I will happily forget that start screen is even there. Otherwise, I don't think I will upgrade.

Happened to me in Dev Preview. Thankfully, the power button defaults to shutting down. And in the new bootloader, half-booting an OS just to switch OSs is screaming DUMB (I know I can change it to the 7 loader, but the point is it should never have been designed this way)!.

I gave it a 7. I don't mind using it, as i mostly just play games and it had no real impact on that. I can see where others have concerns, though. I love Metro, i own a Zune HD, use Zune for my music, and want to get a Windows Phone; but i don't understand some of their design choices. I would have been happier with a implementation of Zune much like how Omnimo did it. I find Omnimo to be a much more pleasing implementation of the Metro style. Instead of giving us a whole seperate Metro interface (which works fine for tablets) allow us to place the tiles on the desktop, that way we can get the best of both worlds. I'll upgrade as I always do, but i'm kinda hoping they have something up their sleeve - or that they see the concerns of the users.

I cant believe it how easy it is to use.

I REALLY........... i mean REALLY hated WDP, But I still gave WCP a try. On the first day i felt that i lost my dear start menu.. but then after 2 - 3 days i really loved this OS

The only issues: it crashed 2 times, but it was due to software incompatibility and another thing is : FireFOX is so buggy... otherwise Great OS

I gave it a 3. I love the lock screen. Big clock and a wallpaper is nice. But someone should have informed Microsoft that draging that screen up to unlock is not a desktop like thing to do. It is acceptable for a tablet or a phone. It seems that Microsoft put too much effort in designing an OS for a tablet. Too bad because the iPad will be king for the forseeable future. Microsoft designed something at the expense of what Windows was meant to be used for, the desktop PC.

Although I hate the tiles and think the removal of the Start Menu was incredibly dumb, I gave the a 3 for the attempted effort on changing the look and feel of Windows. Hopefuly they will have better luck with Windows 9. Goid knows I will not be upgrading to that crap.

This reminds me of when Vista came out. It was loathed because people had to change the way they did things because of UAC, the prevalence of search, libraries, superfetch, etc. Now they've gone and done it again by changing the Start menu into something where you can run apps.

But if you also remeber, Vista did poorely. Windows 7 corrected the utter failness of Windows Vista. Just as I am sure of what Windows 9 will do to Windows 8.

Windows Vista was loathed because it initially was supposed to be released October 2003, Microsoft promised people the world feature-wise, was released to the general public in 2007 with Windows XP way past its prime, ended up being only a fraction of what was intended, then the third-party driver disaster and customers being screwed over by the whole "Vista Capable PC"-thing where many didn't even support Windows Aero.

I love Windows 8 so far. I have it installed on my Samsung Series 7 slate PC and on my laptop. I have no issue using it with the laptop's trackpad and since the CP, it is much easier to navigate around the OS.

A couple of things I hope change by RTM is:

1. Having a personal picture as the Start Screen wallpaper and just let the metro icons scroll over the top of it. (so the picture never moves). Also just more colour customization (No doubt MS will add more options closing in on RTM).

2. The on-screen keyboard does not automatically pop up when going to enter text on the desktop side. Will check settings later this might be already available.

3. Having a much easier way to add custom app icons to the Start Screen.

4. Better screen usage of Metro apps.

Apart from that, the OS is rock solid for me and performance is definitely much better than Windows 7 on the same system. I think people will get used to the Start Screen eventually, just give it some time.

faster than windows 7 and its easier than windows 7 once you know everything about it

give it one day to two days for judgement

I gave it a 7. I really like the explorer, copy, and process manager changes. Still not warming up to the metro full-screen start panel. Also ran into some driver issues and networking issues.

And finally, the upgrade path failed miserably for me.

But as I said, I really like the desktop. Glad the rounded corners are gone on borders, love the copy info., love the process manager, and I am one of the people who really does like the ribbon on explorer.

can't edit my post so i'll post again

i like this feature on windows8: 1 click will take me to metro to see all the apps metro apps or desktop apps and pick one app or manage / sort the apps in the way i want

and pressing win key + f to search for app or music or data or just go to charm bar to find anything i want

The Metro UI is terrible for desktops. This is the 1st time I am considering leaving Windows and using another OS.

Sad but true. If it stays in this form, i might migrate to the Cat family..

If it wasn't for iTunes I would be using linux already. When Windows 7 gets to long in the tooth I'll probably jump ship than use Windows 8.

Enterprises won't stand for it. Although I believe that Metro is being forced for the CP. While rummaging around in gpedit, I've found things like "force classic start menu," which doesn't work at this point. Because of that, I haven't lost all hope.

I'm not going judge until I see a final product....

Some interface changes I can't stand on Aero desktop which look great in Metro btw:

Network Connection UI and AutoPlay dialog

UI for Open With, Windows Update restart prompt and Error Reporting

While on the desktop, the dialogs shown should be strictly Aero style and while in Metro, the Metro version should be shown. Mixing Aero and Metro makes me wanna never touch this OS because it looks very very ugly.

It's probably going to be good on a tablet but for that I'm staying loyal to our google overlords. Doesn't work brilliantly with a keyboard and mouse and I'm still not sure where the shutdown button is. I'll be sticking with windows 7 for a bit.