Windows 8, enough after about 2 hours

I really don't like it either. I gave it a chance, but it just doesn't work as good as the 'classic' Windows interface does with a mouse and keyboard.

Metro apps are incredibly dumbed down, very counter-intuitive with a mouse and keyboard and just look out of place.

I have a 13" notebook with a 1600x900 display, so everything is already relatively small in Windows 7 because of the high DPI. In Windows 8, however, everything looks HUGE. Really HUGE. I went for a high resolution because my efficiency is just much higher when I have more pixels available, on Windows 8 it just didn't provide any improvements.

If the final version won't contain a registry key to go back to the classic UI I'll be sticking with Windows 7.

I disagree. It never really made much sense to display search results in the Start Menu and the new Start Screen corrects that issue. Additionally, it made no sense to have gadgets on the desktop where they were obscured by running applications but the Start Screen fixes that by replacing gadgets with live tiles. The Start Menu only offered limited scope to pin and group apps and the Start Screen gives you a lot more screen real estate to do this properly.

I too agree with both things that you said... I never use gadgets on the desktop and rarely search in the start menu. But even with your statement MS should/could evolve the start menu, what they have now is too large of a space for simple functionality that requires me to scan the whole 30" desktop and mouse around on this real estate. The idea of the start menu was much more efficient.

Also with all this attention to the Metro look (I have a Samsung Focus which I love) MS has not looked at improving the functionality of most of the core applications and their interfaces. (fonts, images, videos, icon representations, etc.) I feel MS got 'off-track'.

I am what be termed a silver surfer, I am well on the wrong side of sixty, I enjoy new tech now as much as ever, I do own a windows phone, so am used to tiles, I have a 22" touch screen, have had it for a couple of years now, I am now making more use of the "touch" though after umpty years using a mouse it is still difficult to use touch to it's full, but after twenty four hours I am finding my way around Windows 8 and am enjoying the experience, I loved windows 7, I thought windows 3.1 was good, at the time, I would hate to use it now, I think I will buy windows 8 when the time comes, by then I will really have found out what it can or can't do, I installed Links 2003 golf game and it runs fine, that's a game that came out 2002, just give it time. Jim ; )

made it about one day with it (well less then that) already frustrated with it... it's not fluid, its too single task oriented when you are immersive mode... and having to switch back and forth to do things is annoying... MS needs to make a FULL immersive OS for phones and consumer tablets.. and a full desktop for workstation users that only multitask all day and the ability to switch between the two or a mixture depending on preference...

some stuff that I use to be able to do in two clicks are taking me way too much time now... go from a second of time to multiples of that to do the same task isn't an improvement...

The Metro UI could so easily have been, like active desktop where the tiles are overlayed on desktop itself instead of having separate screen.

Obviously Windows 8 wasn't your idea. Too bad because that would have been a better implementation.

• Like 2

i dunno, been playing with it for about 8 hours total, and initially i didn't like - but once i wrapped my head around the 'flow' of things [mostly using the start button on kb] this thing is starting grow on me... let's see in another 8 hours...

I honestly don't understand; this UI seems very intuitive. You don't need to learn any keyboard shortcuts to navigate around at all. You can get to anywhere you want by simply clicking on the top and bottom edges of the screen. Most of my time is still spent in the browser but the only difference me is email checking which is done in the email app now instead of Hotmail's website.

Compare all of this complianing to what we heard during the transition to Windows 95 and the Start Menu that you all are so fond of. When 95 came out, the world was ending for a lot of people.

I'm not sure what you're remembering but the Windows 95 launch was a huge success. It made computers drastically more usable compared to Windows 3.1, whereas Metro seems more like a clumsy step back to the Windows 1.x days. I don't see Windows 8 being successful at all if it launches like this.

Compare all of this complianing to what we heard during the transition to Windows 95 and the Start Menu that you all are so fond of. When 95 came out, the world was ending for a lot of people. The sort of research and design decisions that went into the Start Screen concept really hinge a lot on repeated use and wearing footpaths to things you use. Calm down and give it the time it deserves. It's not easy to make a big paradigm switch overnight. Roll with it and as time passes, you will not only become more comfortable with the Start Screen, but you will definitely appreciate it when you have to go to another machine and go back to using the Start Menu. Two hours is not enough. Two days is not enough. Work through the pains of change for a couple weeks in order to appreciate what's been done here.

We "IT" guys normally we aren't against new things because simply not, when enjoy playing with new things indeed. The problem here is non optional removal of a key feature, please note, non optional. The mighty Start Menu, that iconic thing that made windows so popular. If people want touch features so badly, so be it, let them have them even on "default mode" but allow us to have or very simple yet very efficient full fledged desktop option in the OS.

Compare all of this complianing to what we heard during the transition to Windows 95 and the Start Menu that you all are so fond of. When 95 came out, the world was ending for a lot of people.

Rubbish, I know it was a long time ago but that isn't what happened at all. Windows 95 was incredibly popular and well received. Seems like some of you need to rewrite history to make Metro seem like not a big deal.

• Like 2

I have to say, Microsoft, are seriously upping their game, I dump Android and an iPhone for Windows Phone 7, and I love it. With windows 8 yes there is a big change, which will require a learning curve, and I'm growing to like it. Although I'm a techy I find it easy to look at new products in this way, however I'm thinking of the normal home user, and I think Microsoft are playing a risky one.

Having said that, if we don't approach new ideas with open minds we'll never advance, look at Windows 3.11 compared to Windows 95 massive difference, nearly 20 years later we're stuck with the same old thing (to a certain extent), Windows 8 is taking another revolutionary step. It's like moving from a Automatic car to a manual, we'll curse the gears up and down, but we grow to love the control.

I've used 8 now for nearly 24 hours, a fair chance for the massive change, and yes I like it :-)

I hope they bring the start menu back. I believe they said metro will be disabled by default for desktops and non-touch screen laptops, so people can transition into it.

Well see though. I hear way too many requests to bring back the start menu.

I hadn't heard this, but that would definitely be preferable... I really want to like Windows 8 and for a tablet I'm in love with it, but I cannot imagine using it on my desktop for extended periods...

Totally, I was expecting it much more 'fluid' but I felt like I had to hard learn how to do weird mouse gestures just to go around my desktop, it's stressing.

I feel the same way. It's rather weird with a mouse...

I hadn't heard this, but that would definitely be preferable... I really want to like Windows 8 and for a tablet I'm in love with it, but I cannot imagine using it on my desktop for extended periods...

I feel the same way. It's rather weird with a mouse...

yeah it's too weird with a mouse, I find myself trying to do touch gestures with a mouse and it not doing them, but I bet if I had a touch screen they'd work fine... this whole two or more ways to do the same thing but depending on what you have is a bit of an annoyance... and I would go nuts with a desktop touch screen, my arms would be killing me after a day using them in the air to do what I do with a mouse in a day... its being made too touch like for the sake of being touch like

played around a bit on my friends touch screen laptop... like everyone says here.. the Start > Metro UI is just effing annoying. The metro apps such as music etc are soo superbasic that it almost seems lke a joke.

Metro implementation on Win8 might be 'fast and fluid' but it is not pretty.. The Metro UI could so easily have been, like active desktop where the tiles are overlayed on desktop itself instead of having separate screen.

IE10 is nice, fast but still no word on extension system. anyway, i think MS messed this one up royally :(

So I'd have to minimise all my open apps every time I want to access a live tile? That would be a complete disaster. As I said previously, gadgets already failed to take off because they sit on the desktop, sticking live tiles there would simply be unworkable.

I too agree with both things that you said... I never use gadgets on the desktop and rarely search in the start menu. But even with your statement MS should/could evolve the start menu, what they have now is too large of a space for simple functionality that requires me to scan the whole 30" desktop and mouse around on this real estate. The idea of the start menu was much more efficient.

Taking up less space on the screen doesn't automatically make the Start menu efficient. In the case of search it makes it inefficient and in the case of the full app list it borders on unworkable at the moment as you're forced to navigate through a tree in a narrow, tiny area of the screen. If you've got 30 inches to use why not use it rather than trying to squeeze a whole lot of information (badly) into a small corner of the screen? I rarely use the Start menu these days (I probably only use it a few seconds a day) but I could see myself using the Start Screen more often because it's now more useful.

Also with all this attention to the Metro look (I have a Samsung Focus which I love) MS has not looked at improving the functionality of most of the core applications and their interfaces. (fonts, images, videos, icon representations, etc.) I feel MS got 'off-track'.

Again, I disagree. The Start Screen and immersive apps may be getting a lot of attention from the lets-judge-an-OS-based-on-screenshots crowd but it's clear that Microsoft have been doing a lot of work behind the scenes. The new task manager, copy and paste, storage spaces, improved networking, etc are all examples where MS are fixing and extending features in the core OS.

I don't understand; Metro doesn't hard to use at all with mouse. How is sliding up a lock screen worst then how it was prior in Windows 7? It seems rather easy to switch between apps just as it was in 7.

You don't have to slide the lock screen. Just hit a key.

You don't have to slide the lock screen. Just hit a key.

This may be a noob question but which key? I clicked my mouse and tapped my keyboard but didn't find anything to get rid of it other than dragging up!

After using it for a day, the thing that really gets me is, what was wrong with the Windows 7 desktop? What is "better" for the desktop user in Windows 8, that cannot work in Windows 7? Maybe it's just a plan to get all of us "trying" Metro, then they will divide it once people are familiar with it? I simply do not believe this is how a corporate desktop computer install of Windows 8 will act at all.

This may be a noob question but which key? I clicked my mouse and tapped my keyboard but didn't find anything to get rid of it other than dragging up!

It should be any key. I have my logon set to use a PIN and I just hit a key and type my PIN.

I'll be honest here, the search lacks functionality. When I was searching shell32.dll I wasnt able to right click it and open its location?? Thats a fail in my book. And all the pretty colors on the tiles make the metro interface look's worst than freakin' XP! They need to make the UI more professional and user friendly. The shutdown (power buttons) should be placed under the user icon whenever you click on the user icon. The point of windows 8 is to make things easier for us not complicate what we believe is obvious to do! Also the font is not smooth at all on the metro screen. It looks hafta** and lazy! I cant wait to custmize this OS to my likings. The UI just looks weak IMO and took almost to no effort to create. I surprise this OS isn't coming out much sooner. ************** :\

yeah it's too weird with a mouse, I find myself trying to do touch gestures with a mouse and it not doing them, but I bet if I had a touch screen they'd work fine... this whole two or more ways to do the same thing but depending on what you have is a bit of an annoyance... and I would go nuts with a desktop touch screen, my arms would be killing me after a day using them in the air to do what I do with a mouse in a day... its being made too touch like for the sake of being touch like

After using it for a day, the thing that really gets me is, what was wrong with the Windows 7 desktop? What is "better" for the desktop user in Windows 8, that cannot work in Windows 7? Maybe it's just a plan to get all of us "trying" Metro, then they will divide it once people are familiar with it? I simply do not believe this is how a corporate desktop computer install of Windows 8 will act at all.

I have to agree with both of these here. I just cannot imagine using this on a daily basis productively... And I shudder to even imagine trying to roll this out in a corporate environment...

I'm really disappointed. I wanted to like it so bad... lol I really hope that the post earlier in the thread that said this will be turned off on desktop by default holds true. It just seems so integrated that this would be a problem at this point. It seems an "all in" approach for Microsoft at this point and that concerns me. I just cannot imagine getting any real work done in this.

When it took 10 minutes to figure out how to restart or shutdown....

Yeah, I downloaded a picture and haven't any idea where it went... lol

Yeah, I downloaded a picture and haven't any idea where it went... lol

Lol! Yeah, that's progress for ya ;)

If I wanted my PC to look, act, or operate like an XBox or Windows 7 Phone, then I would have bought one or all of the aforementioned, apart from the PC, as it is a PC, and I own it, and want it to remain so, as in a PC, with a proper PC OS software running on it!

• Like 3

Please, tell me where were you in when Windows 95 launched, because from what I remember, it was the single biggest launch for Microsoft. Stores openned at midnight to let people buy Win95, it was simply crazy. MS never had that since then.

From what I'm seeing, not sure that MS will have close to the same success with Win8, in fact, I'm affraid it's going to be a dud like ME or Vista.

• Like 3

I absolutely love it. I'm converted on my desktop and laptop already and also running a small domain with Windows Server 8.

Yes, it's a change, however change is really good!