Windows 8, enough after about 2 hours

I'd have to disagree with this, the new UI is not intuitive. for instance in windows 95 they introduced the start menu. For new users it was fairly obvious, click start and then be greeted by Programs, Documents, Settings, Help and Shutdown. Not too hard to figure out really. Now with Windows 8 UI you have this screen with "apps" that load things like facebook fairly well, great for those who use there computer for the solely for the internet, but click explorer and your back to the desktop, press start and your back to metro, click opera or any old style application, word, paint, photoshop, media player, and your back to the desktop.

You want pictures for instance, you press start, you press photos, you have the option to open local photos or facebook, you open local photos, you have to zoom out to see your large collection , you find the photo, you want to edit it in photoshop and ... you press "win+e" cause you can't open with in "metro" because they've mutilated the best feature that separated windows from macs ... right click

I referenced NT4 for that precise reason - if you had been running NT 3.5/3.51, how intuitive would the NT4 UI (despite being identical to that of Windows 95) be to NT 3.x users (which still had the old UI of Windows 3.x)?

The only time I have used Windows NT in an enterprise situation was in the middle of a changeover (from NT4 to 2000 Professional). Despite the UI not changing one bit, even Windows 2000 had folks scratching their heads; the only reason I wasn't was because I had been running the same OS *at home* since it launched. All the changes in 2000 Professional from NT4 were in the underpinnings - the UI didn't change at all. Yet even that took getting used to.

Yet you (and others) ran back to Windows 7 as if you had suddenly been confronted with a Mac - and you gave it two hours - or less?

Further, the right-click paradigm has been in Windows *since* 9x/NT4 - it's far from a new feature. Macs normally don't *have* a right mouse button - the standard mouse with Macs has just a single button.

Google tells the truth , (I searched expressions exactly, quoted) :

"windows 8 sucks" -> 790,000 results

"windows 8 is great" -> 12700 results

"windows 7 sucks" -> 74,100 results

"windows 7 is great" -> 542,000 results

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 3

I'm finding it more annoying since you have to switch to a full screen start screen instead of keeping what you have open on the screen and just using a menu to select what you need next... people who multitask a lot will hate this... and you can say pin it to the taskbar all you want, but when you use a lot of apps, the taskbar gets filled fast and some people do hate that clutter

The annoyance will disappear and you'll get used to the Start Screen. Who knows, you might even learn to appreciate the fact that it gives you more scope to group and order your favourite apps so they're easier to access.

However, if (for some bizarre reason) you really never get used to it then you can add folders of apps to your taskbar that will appear as menus. That will leave your taskbar working the way you want and allow you to avoid the clutter of too many app icons. There are always plenty of ways to do things in Windows and Windows 8 is no exception.

I honestly can't see any reason why people who multitask a lot will be any worse off. People will object to the fact that they have to do things differently but they'll only be worse off if they refuse to adapt.

Having played with this for a couple of days, here are my thoughts:

On the plus side, the refinements to the desktop are much appreciated; I love the ribbon in Explorer, everything seems very fast and fluid, boot times are improved, integration of MSSE in the form of the new Windows Defender and File History offers a decent backup solution, if perhaps a little too simple.

I?ve tried to like it, really I have and I?m not that bothered about the omission of the Start Menu, as I rarely used it. I?ve used every version of Windows since 3.1 and have enjoyed using each one, so I?m not adverse to change, I can assure you.

The Metro UI, oh dear God; what are Microsoft thinking? My PC is now a simplified consumer electronics device! Apps look absolutely ridiculous on my high resolution 27? display, taking up the whole screen with so much wasted real estate.

I can see Metro working on a tablet or similar device but keep it the hell away from my PC. I want rich applications and decent multi-tasking, damn it! Microsoft are pandering the casual computer market and dumbing things down for people who only use their computer for Facebook and YouTube etc.

Made me smile at the amount of people posting keyboard shortcuts, a decent UI wouldn?t need so many!

• Like 3

... boot times are improved ...

The Metro UI, oh dear God; what are Microsoft thinking? My PC is now a simplified consumer electronics device! Apps look absolutely ridiculous on my high resolution 27? display, taking up the whole screen with so much wasted real estate.

I can see Metro working on a tablet or similar device but keep it the hell away from my PC. I want rich applications and decent multi-tasking, damn it! Microsoft are pandering the casual computer market and dumbing things down for people who only use their computer for Facebook and YouTube etc.

Don't know what you will do with an extra 12 seconds from the boot times.

Has boot time really been a problem over the years ? Not here.

And as for Metro, I think Microsoft is pandering to the increasingly dumb people who toy with computers. :laugh:

I love change. It is exciting, fresh and sometimes much needed. But I seriously don't like Metro. At least on Desktops and Laptops. I'm sure it will be wonderful on a Tablet though. People (Microsoft included) can say anything, but Windows 8 in it's current form is much better suited to a Tablet. Not even touch enabled displays.

Here are some of my thoughts on the whole thing.

The negative:

Metro SCREAMS for attention!

The tiles are huge and distracting.

Practically the whole rainbow of colours is on Metro!

HUGE amounts of wasted space. I'm all for minimalism, but this is just ridiculous!

Navigation is clunky. A lot of things are not immediately apparent, which can be frustrating, especially for novice users.*

There is no uniformity in the UI elements. Some elements like fonts are massive, others like buttons are tiny.

Some Metro apps are poor in quality. I have come across 3 apps now which don't support scrolling with a mouse! Microsoft needs to have stricter app submission guidelines so that such things don't happen.

The positive:

The new Task Manager.

The Ribbon bar in Explorer.

Minor but welcome changes in file operations like copying or moving.

Storage Spaces

Windows to Go

PC Refresh & Reset

OS level Skydrive integration

And many others.

* Things like 2 sets of settings. Why couldn't they have just integrated everything from Control Panel into Metro? They want you to be in Metro as much as possible. It is pretty obvious that over time, this switching back and forth between Metro and the Classic Desktop is going to reduce more and more as apps are designed/updated keeping Metro in mind. Also, individual app settings should be accessible from the bottom bar that comes up when you right click in the app. That you need to click Settings in the Charms bar to access them is not immediately apparent.

I seriously think they should allow users to choose either Metro or the Classic Desktop right after Setup. In my opinion, since they have such a huge user base, they really shouldn't force such drastic changes upon everyone!

• Like 2

I referenced NT4 for that precise reason - if you had been running NT 3.5/3.51, how intuitive would the NT4 UI (despite being identical to that of Windows 95) be to NT 3.x users (which still had the old UI of Windows 3.x)?

Just as intuitive as Windows 95 was to Windows 3.1 users. Very. Sorry but your comparison fails, Metro is nothing like 3.1 to 95.

I seriously think they should allow users to choose either Metro or the Classic Desktop right after Setup. In my opinion, since they have such a huge user base, they really shouldn't force such drastic changes upon everyone!

My god -- common sense. :happy:

• Like 1

My god -- common sense. :happy:

Yes, I know. I was just being polite by saying "In my opinion"! :)

Google tells the truth , (I searched expressions exactly, quoted) :

"windows 8 sucks" -> 790,000 results

"windows 8 is great" -> 12700 results

"windows 7 sucks" -> 74,100 results

"windows 7 is great" -> 542,000 results

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Haha, this made me laugh.

The annoyance will disappear and you'll get used to the Start Screen. Who knows, you might even learn to appreciate the fact that it gives you more scope to group and order your favourite apps so they're easier to access.

However, if (for some bizarre reason) you really never get used to it then you can add folders of apps to your taskbar that will appear as menus. That will leave your taskbar working the way you want and allow you to avoid the clutter of too many app icons. There are always plenty of ways to do things in Windows and Windows 8 is no exception.

I honestly can't see any reason why people who multitask a lot will be any worse off. People will object to the fact that they have to do things differently but they'll only be worse off if they refuse to adapt.

and it takes how long to get use to it?I've been using it as long as it's been first out, still hate it and still find it annoying works great for a phone or tablet, sucks ass for a desktop

and it takes how long to get use to it?I've been using it as long as it's been first out, still hate it and still find it annoying works great for a phone or tablet, sucks ass for a desktop

It took me a few seconds to get used to it, if that. I've had no problems adapting to the new multitasking concept or the new Windows 8 Metro experience at all.

It took me a few seconds to get used to it, if that. I've had no problems adapting to the new multitasking concept or the new Windows 8 Metro experience at all.

it's not adapting that is the problem, its the workflow idea that is the annoyance if you are working in windowd applications you shouldn't have to go to a full screen menu to start your next windowed application.. it makes sense in a metro app only world but it makes no sense in a windowed world

phones and tablets this makes sense, you do one thing at a time on the entire screen.... in a windowed environment you are using full screen to put a break in the windowed environment workflow... if they have us something like a start menu that was on the left of the screen using the tiles, sure that would work, but using the entire screen no

Don't know what you will do with an extra 12 seconds from the boot times.

Has boot time really been a problem over the years ? Not here.

You'll have to forgive me, as I was really struggling to think of some positives. No need to get so butt hurt about it :laugh:

Two hours is about how long I lasted on the Developer Preview.

But I've been using the Consumer Preview (on the Build tablet) since as soon as I got it downloaded and installed on Wednesday. I haven't even used my home desktop or laptop since. Obviously it needs more apps to be released (Kindle, where are you?!? twitter client, etc) but its smooth and slick for me.

it's not adapting that is the problem, its the workflow idea that is the annoyance if you are working in windowd applications you shouldn't have to go to a full screen menu to start your next windowed application.. it makes sense in a metro app only world but it makes no sense in a windowed world

Sorry but this is a non-argument. You're talking about an interface that you will only spend seconds per day looking at when launching apps. How could any workflow possibly broken under those circumstances? In it's simplest form the start screen is just a big start menu that does everything the start menu has always done and it won't stop you multitasking or interacting with your windowed apps in the same way you always have.

Sorry but this is a non-argument. You're talking about an interface that you will only spend seconds per day looking at when launching apps. How could any workflow possibly broken under those circumstances? In it's simplest form the start screen is just a big start menu that does everything the start menu has always done and it won't stop you multitasking or interacting with your windowed apps in the same way you always have.

the start screen is just the start, what happens when a version or two from now half the applications are full screen only apps? And they dont want you using more then one app at a time, or having split screen or multiple monitors? This is the path Apple is starting to take us, now MS is going that way also, look at everything they've done in the past with new ideas, the start screen is just grooming people into using single applications at once.. but a small break in the desktop workflow with a start screen (the break comes from the fact you are switching from two differnt ideas, anytime you do that you break a workflow)... to someday soon probably office is all full screen apps, but half your other programs are windowed apps... we are already seeing this in a sense with some of the WinRT applications... eventually windows wont be windows anymore it will be Microsoft Walls... you have one at a time can't see through it, cant do anything else but what it does... and now we are back at windows 1.0 design wise... one thing at a time

It's way too early to talk about giving up on Windwos 8. The whole point in downloading the Consumer Preview is to test it and send feedback (as much as you possibly can) back to Microsoft in hopes that your contribution helps to make the final better than the Consumer Preview.

So, no I have not had enough although I am finding it a bit frustrating trying to get used to navigation but overall, I like what Win8 has to offer.

Way too early to say much... I'm on Windows 8 now and it's working amazingly for me... btw for quick chatting via the Messaging app, just "Right-Click" on the tile and "Snap Right"... you lose a little screen real-estate, but it works, and still looks good.

So far, it's been like 12 hours since I've had it installed, and I think my work flow has become easier for me, I can get around just as fast as I did in Windows 7.

So I think, for the most part... You're using it wrong. (<--Thank you Steve Jobs!)

The bad (in NO order),

(*) Graphical glitches, some stability issues.

(*) AMD dropped support for anything below 5000 series for W8.

(*) NVIDIA drivers seem are bad for W8.

(*) Metro Apps are NOT instant - slow to load.

(*) When signing in via live, without internet access, login takes longer

(*) IE10 still has some issues

(*) Right click doesn't work in many places (THIS they copied from Ubuntu 11)

(*) The Lite Desktop Theme (which looks METRO) should look more METRO

(*) Control Panel, Administrative Tools, are NOT METRO

(*) 3D Pinball seems either like shareware or unfinished

(*) Metro Apps UNLOAD themselves

(**) opening METRO apps the second time takes as long as the first time

(**) Metro Apps unload when in background effectively killing off multitasking

(**) Scrolling Photos in METRO at normal-gamer-speed results in grey boxes for images

(**) Generally Metro Apps have a tendency to display nothing and load long time as if designed by inbreeds

(*) I don't see a way to sync folder with Skydive - WTF

(*) If neither have a touchscreen or a keyboard - METRO will **** you off

The good (in NO order),

(*) Login/Lock Screen is SEX

(*) Metro Animation Fluidity is SEX

(*) New Task Manager is SEX

(*) New Windows Explorer is SEX

(*) New Start Menu is SEX

(*) New OS selection menu is SEX

(*) Refresh feature is SEX

(*) Some of the METRO Apps are SEX

(*) New Interface works great with Keyboard Shortcuts and Mouse

(*) New Search is Awesome

(*) IE10 is like Chrome if Chrome was native, had good hardware acceleration, and was meant to be pleasant to use

(*) The simple thing of having the same account with the same desktop background is awesome

(*) It feels snappier, then again so does a fresh install of W7, but the non-Metro seems snappier

(*) New file management / copy / paste features are awesome

(*) Eject-Hardware (that little icon near the battery icon) is INSTANT. In W7, you had to wait for it to pop up with the USB stick you wanted to remove, not anymore.

(*) Don't like METRO? You can pin NORMAL programs to Start Menu, effectively making your Start Menu be a normal Start Menu

(*) In W7, if you opened a folder w. 5000 images and two folders, W7 would load those images first and then show you the folders (loading 5000 image thumbnails FOR THE FAIL) - W8 doesn't do something that dumb.

phones and tablets this makes sense, you do one thing at a time on the entire screen.... in a windowed environment you are using full screen to put a break in the windowed environment workflow... if they have us something like a start menu that was on the left of the screen using the tiles, sure that would work, but using the entire screen no

I disagree, as I enjoy the fact elements such as the Start screen and the File Open screen take up the entire monitor. It's merely a matter of taste, and it's a shame so many people appear to dislike this.

I disagree, as I enjoy the fact elements such as the Start screen and the File Open screen take up the entire monitor. It's merely a matter of taste, and it's a shame so many people appear to dislike this.

then why even have a full desktop OS? if we are going to move everything to full screen then make a tablet OS that is just that, that the user could pick as their desktop OS if they want it.. I rember when Windows 2 introduced overlapping windows and everyone was like OMG! now we are going back to whats the point of even having that we we dont have windows..

• Like 2

A Multitasking Concept does not exist with Windows 8 Metro

• Like 2

The bad (in NO order),

(*) Graphical glitches, some stability issues.

(*) AMD dropped support for anything below 5000 series for W8.

(*) NVIDIA drivers seem are bad for W8.

(*) Metro Apps are NOT instant - slow to load.

(*) When signing in via live, without internet access, login takes longer

(*) IE10 still has some issues

(*) Right click doesn't work in many places (THIS they copied from Ubuntu 11)

(*) The Lite Desktop Theme (which looks METRO) should look more METRO

(*) Control Panel, Administrative Tools, are NOT METRO

(*) 3D Pinball seems either like shareware or unfinished

(*) Metro Apps UNLOAD themselves

(**) opening METRO apps the second time takes as long as the first time

(**) Metro Apps unload when in background effectively killing off multitasking

(**) Scrolling Photos in METRO at normal-gamer-speed results in grey boxes for images

(**) Generally Metro Apps have a tendency to display nothing and load long time as if designed by inbreeds

(*) I don't see a way to sync folder with Skydive - WTF

(*) If neither have a touchscreen or a keyboard - METRO will **** you off

The good (in NO order),

(*) Login/Lock Screen is SEX

(*) Metro Animation Fluidity is SEX

(*) New Task Manager is SEX

(*) New Windows Explorer is SEX

(*) New Start Menu is SEX

(*) New OS selection menu is SEX

(*) Refresh feature is SEX

(*) Some of the METRO Apps are SEX

(*) New Interface works great with Keyboard Shortcuts and Mouse

(*) New Search is Awesome

(*) IE10 is like Chrome if Chrome was native, had good hardware acceleration, and was meant to be pleasant to use

(*) The simple thing of having the same account with the same desktop background is awesome

(*) It feels snappier, then again so does a fresh install of W7, but the non-Metro seems snappier

(*) New file management / copy / paste features are awesome

(*) Eject-Hardware (that little icon near the battery icon) is INSTANT. In W7, you had to wait for it to pop up with the USB stick you wanted to remove, not anymore.

(*) Don't like METRO? You can pin NORMAL programs to Start Menu, effectively making your Start Menu be a normal Start Menu

(*) In W7, if you opened a folder w. 5000 images and two folders, W7 would load those images first and then show you the folders (loading 5000 image thumbnails FOR THE FAIL) - W8 doesn't do something that dumb.

For all that, I've got two words for you:

It's beta.

As far as some of the stuff you pointed out as "bad," the driver things have nothing to do with the OS itself: Microsoft doesn't write drivers, blame the hardware manufacturers for not getting up to speed just yet.

As for someone not having a touchscreen or keyboard, I don't even... that would make it basically impossible to install the OS in the first place since you're required to input the Product Key to get even the Consumer Preview installed so so so... ;)