Windows 8, enough after about 2 hours

I don't understand the complaint about the tiles... once more apps use live tiles the start screen will be basically like a screen full of widgets and shortcuts.... not unlike a lot of Windows 7 setups. I'm looking forward to a Metro Facebook app, maybe a Steam app. I think those two will work well in the new environment. I will admit, not having more than 1 screen.. Windows 8 might not be as good for people using multi-monitor setups. I installed it on my netbook but ZERO of the metro apps will run in 1024x600, so I've just unpinned them all and added regular high use shortcuts. I spend all my time in Desktop. Literally no dramas after I made sure photos, videos, and music didn't try to open in their respective metro apps.

Most of the users like me don't complain about the tiles, we complain about the removal of the start menu orb and the impossibility to customize if the tiles are going to appear or not, or in which position of the screen like xLauncher.

I agree with the comments about Win8 lacking overview.. one of the first things I noticed in the Dev Preview about Metro IE10, was that I couldn't see if I was being facebook messaged because the tabs are hidden.

Some of these sort of things I assume will be addressed when Firefox/Chrome/Opera do metro versions, they will address the IEmetro deficiencies.

It will be interesting to see how Win8 handles multiple displays, multiple metro apps open on individual screens etc.

i dunno, been playing with it for about 8 hours total, and initially i didn't like - but once i wrapped my head around the 'flow' of things [mostly using the start button on kb] this thing is starting grow on me... let's see in another 8 hours...

You shouldn't have to even touch the keyboard though to do simple tasks that you could do without it before.. I am seeing a lot of stuff like this that is 2 steps backwards.

Reminds me of powershell and Exchange 2007/2010, when they removed a BUNCH of options from the GUI and you have to use powershell to do simple crap..

I agree with the comments about Win8 lacking overview.. one of the first things I noticed in the Dev Preview about Metro IE10, was that I couldn't see if I was being facebook messaged because the tabs are hidden.

Some of these sort of things I assume will be addressed when Firefox/Chrome/Opera do metro versions, they will address the IEmetro deficiencies.

It will be interesting to see how Win8 handles multiple displays, multiple metro apps open on individual screens etc.

That's another thing.. I don't need the weather open on my 30"inch 2560x1600 LCD full screen... if something drastic doesn't change.. there's going to be a fall out from this.

I first installed Win8 CP over the top of Win7 on my Acer W500 tablet. I liked it, but some weird behaviors came out as a result of having my generic local account tied to my Microsoft ID. I decided to reimage with a clean install and I have to say I love it on my tablet.

Yes, learning the new items is kind of difficult at times. But I am getting more fluent with it every time I turn my tablet on. On a tablet, I rarely ever enter the desktop. Most of what I do on this device is fine in Metro. I'll get around to loading my time-killers this weekend, which are sure to snap me back to the desktop more frequently (Plants vs. Zombies and Angry Birds).

You shouldn't have to even touch the keyboard though to do simple tasks that you could do without it before.. I am seeing a lot of stuff like this that is 2 steps backwards.

Can you name some? I bet people are willing to discover and show people who to get around unfamiliarities.

One example is Right click on the bottom left corner and you will see a context menu that has short cuts to lots of things people are looking for.

Reminds me of powershell and Exchange 2007/2010, when they removed a BUNCH of options from the GUI and you have to use powershell to do simple crap..

Powershell was the best thing to happen to exchange!

That's another thing.. I don't need the weather open on my 30"inch 2560x1600 LCD full screen... if something drastic doesn't change.. there's going to be a fall out from this.

These are just preview apps.. I'm willing to bet there will be a sweet weather app that displays so much crap that it will look simply beautiful on your 30" screen. Beyond that, I expect MS will only improve the large screen support in windows and scale things or afford more snap estate or split screen views.

Anyone else go right back to Windows 7 after playing with 8 for a little while? I think it's kind of a mess and definitely not ready for prime time.

I didn't particually like it... It's like using a MAC feeling on a Windows machine, performance comparison with Windows 7 was good, boot time was reduced by 7 seconds which ins't much but it's enough to get to the desktop faster.

Thankfully I have an old computer I use as a Beta Machine, I'm not totally sold yet, there is still a long way to go yet, lets see what the feedback is like from the Pro's and the E-Users.

Start>Windows Explorer>Right Click on Computer>Manage... that's something I never do but I was able to figure out in under 30 seconds.

In windows 8, just right click on the left most bottom corner and voila. (where you see the preview window pop out, just right click)

yeah, and what happened later? they had to add a lot of that back in to the UI via service packs and feature packs after everyone complained we took something that took 10 seconds and made it into a script that you have to understand and have a knowladge of all the commands that could take your hours to learn and figure out... they need to stop taking stuff away for the sake of forcing people to use something else and give you a choice

Powershell was the best thing to happen to exchange!

no one is saying its bad, we're saying don't take away UI features for the sake of forcing people to use powershell... making a system scriptable is great, but we dont want to have to write a script for everything, say for example get a list of everyones mailbox, and message count with usage... use to be able to do that fine in exchange 2003, 2010 what we use to use vanished and the solution from MS support was "write a PS script"

I don't have to touch my keyboard at all to navigate around just fine

I'd hate to be using this in a windowed VM however, considering it's reliance on the edge-of-screen pixels :p

In windows 8, just right click on the left most bottom corner and voila. (where you see the preview window pop out, just right click)

handy, thanks :p

I only have 1 question to ask.. Where is Microsoft taking us? Are they imagining a future where both desktop and touch apps would be the same? If not, then why force apps with reduced functionality to desktop users (even the regular ones)?

I think laptops with touch screens will be the standard if Microsoft sticks to their plan, but I don't think it's practical to have touch screens for traditional desktop use. It just doesn't make sense to use a vertical screen for some apps and then go back to your keyboard and mouse. It's just messed up.

Not sure what all the complaining is about. Yea, it is different but took me only 5 minutes to figure out where everything is at. Hardest part was getting the damn VM working in VMWARE.

ok, let me predict future:

* First microsoft try to impose new habits to users, and even remove the regular start menu just to be sure that the user

experiment with the new metro junk

* Second, regular user bash the absence of start menu. Window 8 get bad publicity, and lot of people are discouraged from even trying it.

* Third, microsoft re-introduce the start menu on windows 9. Everyone is praising window 9... or not.

Oh, and by the way , I find metro interface ugly as hell. We got some sweet eye candy by going from XP to Vista, but now it's really a step backward. In comparison, I find the design of android OS much more attractive , so even for tablets, I'm not sure windows 8 would be a success.

The task manager is great, I admit, but that's all :rolleyes: . I really don't care for the ribbon interface on explorer , as soon as I manage to hide it and forget it.

Ok, Microsoft, thanks for the good laugh...

• Like 3

These native metro apps seemed a little too half baked for a "consumer" preview IMHO. I've loaded Win8 on another laptop and facing the same issues, They crash back to the 'Metrotop" more often than not and some aren't even usable outside the US. Hoping the release candidate address A LOT of these issues.

The Windows store apps are doing a better job albeit with some graphic glitches here and there.

I think Microsoft should put back start button for sake of not confusing people.

To be open, straight forward, putting aside all fanboism,

I really loved Windows 8. It's metro desktop/apps are slightly hard to take it at first use (desktop/laptop).

However, after a while, and understanding features and controls, I am really liking it.

In Simple, after giving walkthrough, I feel Windows 8 will be more successful than Windows 7 and it just need some time to understand and I believe it's not big deal

Hi there, I don't comment much on the forums (I generally stick to the newsposts.) Maybe I should more...

Anyway, to those saying 'I shouldn't have to learn keyboard shortcuts' - you don't. Everything you can do via keyboard, you can do via the mouse. It's just, the shortcuts sometimes provide a faster way of doing it (thus the name 'shortcuts'.)

Now not being able to print in IE10 Metro? Again, what are you (is she) smoking? Ever heard of CTRL + P for print? You know, the print shortcut key in use in windows since the dawn of time?

Now, I have not attempted to print anything, but I don't think we can honestly expect the average user to use shortcuts... You and I may, but I would argue most don't. If there is no way within the UI to print, as far as the average user is concerned, it cannot print...

You don't have to use Ctrl+P. Bring up the Charms menu, click Devices, and then click the name of the printer you want to print to.

So I'd have to minimise all my open apps every time I want to access a live tile? That would be a complete disaster. As I said previously, gadgets already failed to take off because they sit on the desktop, sticking live tiles there would simply be unworkable.

huh.

There is show desktop button now that minimizes all open windows..The 'start' / Windows Key could well act as 'show desktop' along with bringing up the tiles overlayed on desktop wallpaper. Its just so annoying to go to 'another' screen just to open another app.

Top-left hand corner should really not be used for switching between apps. Now when I'm in Desktop mode, when trying to click on the "Firefox" icon, or perhaps in other Microsoft tools with a quick access bar, the top leftmost button is now rendered useless thanks to this app switcher appearing. IMO they should just integrate it with the bottom left corner where the ninja Start button is. Also, the Charms bar shouldn't appear whenever I'm trying to close a maximised window...

And, I must re-iterate, I really, really hope Microsoft comes up with a non-fullscreen Start Screen, if only for launching applications. I don't need all the tiles BS when I'm trying to quick-launch an app. What I want is similar to the Search option in the Charms Bar in Internet Explorer, where it only opens up on the right hand side of the screen. Make it so that we can search for any local programs/apps and it'll be a much better experience for all. WHen watching YouTube and I wanna launch a program, I don't need any full-screen monstrosity appearing in my face, stealing my attention.

huh.

There is show desktop button now that minimizes all open windows..The 'start' / Windows Key could well act as 'show desktop' along with bringing up the tiles overlayed on desktop wallpaper. Its just so annoying to go to 'another' screen just to open another app.

Live tiles are more than just gadgets, they're also app icons that can be clicked so you would need to minimise all running apps to access them on the desktop. Just showing the desktop would be pointless.

Opening the start screen to start an app is no more annoying or difficult than opening the start menu to start an app.

Live tiles are more than just gadgets, they're also app icons that can be clicked so you would need to minimise all running apps to access them on the desktop. Just showing the desktop would be pointless.

Opening the start screen to start an app is no more annoying or difficult than opening the start menu to start an app.

I'm finding it more annoying since you have to switch to a full screen start screen instead of keeping what you have open on the screen and just using a menu to select what you need next... people who multitask a lot will hate this... and you can say pin it to the taskbar all you want, but when you use a lot of apps, the taskbar gets filled fast and some people do hate that clutter

• Like 1

I like the live tiles but perhaps if they'd simply used them on the desktop, sort of like an desktop gadgets mk2, rather than a separate screen, then you'd have the best of both worlds? Don't see the need for more than one screen for anything larger than a tablet and it would remove all this toing and froing. I know they going for a unified feel but that doesn't mean it works well on the desktop.

Also, as it is, why is shutdown, restart, sleep hidden away, why isn't it just in the menu you get when you click on your avatar, sign out is there.