Windows 8, enough after about 2 hours

What about a balance between both kind of users? Have the startscreen pop up covering the full screen, but leave the taskbar uncovered when the Desktop is opened? Hence desktop users will be able to see what applications they have been running when pressing the Windows button (ala Windows 7), while tablet users will go on ahead with the current interface (as they probably will not be using Desktop much).

After all, there is so much screen estate left unused at the top and bottom and the horizontal pixels can be used more effectively by leaving the taskbar (with the icons and the notification area) still visible for Desktop users.

Where are you finding extra clicks? Starting apps should take fewer, not more. One to open Start (no matter where you are), and one to launch the app. On a desktop monitor you can fit many dozens of apps without scrolling (and can scroll very easily without clicking), whereas the old menu could only fit a few unless you added more clicks and scrolling in the All Programs list.

Are you kidding? In Windows 7, I click start, move the mouse a little bit to the right and click shutdown. If you don't have the shutdown option directly on the start menu, you just hover above the arrow for half a second and then click shutdown. In Windows 8, I have to move my mouse to the top right corner, then move it way down, to open the charms bar, click settings, click power and then shutdown. You should move power options to the profile menu, where the logout is. And why do we need two different control panels? And one more question: why did you keep the aero style on the classic desktop? You should go full metro instead. Right now, it's completely inconsistent. Like you're using two different operating systems. Windows 8 is a UX and UI nightmare. Plus, the metro side looks totally "flat". Look at the Zune software or the X360 dashboard. They're both metro, but they're beautiful. Windows 8 metro looks like it was made in Paint by a child.

EDIT: Oh and could anyone please explain, why is the right sidebar called "charms"? I know the true meaning of the word, but English is not my first language, so I'm a little bit confused.

2 hours is not enough time to judge an entire operating system. On the Developer preview I didn't really like it for the first 48 hours, but once I got used to how the OS worked and learned the gestures, I began to catch on and really enjoy the experience. Although my time is spent mostly in the desktop UI, the Metro apps really are much nicer than the apps that were around before. For example the mail app is much, much faster than Windows Live mail and the live tiles make it worth the switch.

2 hours is WAY more than enough time if it's something that is supposed to some what similar, but maybe slightly different!

Man, this Windows 8 is enough to make me :x

Dang, sure hope the final is MUCH different than this! No wonder I'm not even remotely excited about this!! :(

Windows 8 is a UX and UI nightmare. Plus, the metro side looks totally "flat". Look at the Zune software or the X360 dashboard. They're both metro, but they're beautiful. Windows 8 metro looks like it was made in Paint by a child.

believe it or not, i spoke to MS rep who was part of Metro design team. he was saying the exact same thing. he was bemoaning the fact that Win8 team went WP7 team for their Metro ideas instead of XBOX team that the Metro design team wanted them to get their ideas from.

Julie Larson Green should be fired for messing up Win8 with the bland UI and superbad UX

• Like 2

believe it or not, i spoke to MS rep who was part of Metro design team. he was saying the exact same thing. he was bemoaning the fact that Win8 team went WP7 team for their Metro ideas instead of XBOX team that the Metro design team wanted them to get their ideas from.

Julie Larson Green should be fired for messing up Win8 with the bland UI and superbad UX

Oh I believe you. And I agree with you, whoever was/is responsible for this abomination should be fired. I mean seriously, what were they thinking? IIRC, Metro is a design language and its principals are usability, accessibility, ease of use, simplicity, etc. Metro in Windows 8 is none of those things. I'm speaking about the desktop experience (mouse + keyboard), it's probably much more usable on tablets.

• Like 2

@The Stark

Oh and could anyone please explain, why is the right sidebar called "charms"?

Because it is disenchanting.

why did you keep the aero style on the classic desktop? You should go full metro instead.

I'd prefer full aero.

Oh I believe you. And I agree with you, whoever was/is responsible for this abomination should be fired.

How hard it is for Microsoft to hire a professional designer , and makes things look neater ... ? Perhaps windows 8 doesn't need much to become an enjoyable experience, but I'd think it's not ready.

Coming from a guy who would pick a fight in the name of Windows...

Just not worth it as a Desktop OS. Unless they find a solution to the 2 interface annoyance this will be a collossal failure.

• Like 2

Well, from what I understood , they want to replace the start menu with the metro start screen, I'd say why not, but this need some serious reworking at the current state.

One of the main problems I have, since I lack a touch screen on any of my computers, is the inconsistency between scrolling behavior on the Start screen and other apps. Wile I can understand the problem with implementing something consistent with a single-touch trackpad or a standard mouse, there should be some type of extra options for those of us with multitouch capable trackpads. Perhaps even some way of emulating a multitouch screen with a multitouch trackpad?? Maybe we will get lucky and some developer, or even Microsoft themselves, will implement a driver that does this.

edit: it looks as if Synaptics is working on it, but I'm not sure if it will work with older trackpads: http://www.winrumors...perience-video/

Now THAT is how Windows 8 should work with a multitouch trackpad by default!!

@roadwarrior

Windows 8 looks more exciting, after watching this video.

Yep, and I can't think of even ONE reason that Microsoft shouldn't implement this functionality out of the box. That appears to be running on a current Samsung netbook, not some new prototype, so it probably will work with older Synaptics trackpads (multitouch ones at least). Maybe there's some hope yet for this to work on my Aspire One 722, which I think has the same trackpad as the Samsung.

We need new "touchpad" devices, so that they can be combined with regular desktop use.

Something completely replacing the mouse perhaps.

It's out of the question to replace my 24 inch IPS screen, with something tactile.

No one ever said it was.

Then why is Microsoft treating the PC as a phone? Swipe to unlock? Really?

We don't need nor want this dumbed-down crap.

All you Metrovangelists need to open your eyes.

Then why is Microsoft treating the PC as a phone? Swipe to unlock? Really?

We don't need nor want this dumbed-down crap.

All you Metrovangelists need to open your eyes.

I don't "swipe to unlock" on the PC...? In windows 8, all you have to do is hit Enter or the Spacebar, and the login screen appears.

I think that windows 8 would be an utter failure (at least in short term), but until windows 9 , the market would evolve, and hopefully Microsoft would get things sorted.

And I don't see how would windows 8 help to use regular pc application on tablet, such like photoshop for instance.

So I'm tempted to say , that people that are used to ipad, or android, won't switch to windows 8.

Where are you finding extra clicks? Starting apps should take fewer, not more. One to open Start (no matter where you are), and one to launch the app. On a desktop monitor you can fit many dozens of apps without scrolling (and can scroll very easily without clicking), whereas the old menu could only fit a few unless you added more clicks and scrolling in the All Programs list.

I think that what most people aren't getting about the Start screen is that it's customizable. People are taking that "first glance" aspect and thinking "OH GOD WHAT IS THIS CRAP..." and never taking a second thought along the lines of "Oh, ok, so I can customize this and get my most commonly used apps right here on the Start screen where I can find them with a single tap of the Windows key or a single click of the mouse in the lower left hand corner."

It'll take time for people to adjust. As I stated in a previous post, people can't stand change, but it'll happen as time goes by.

Once they come to the defacto realization that YES YOU CAN CHANGE THINGS (including yourself and those pesky first glance opinions) that all this hoopla will die down and before most folks know it they'll be zipping along as expected.

People will adapt. Or they'll stick with Windows 7... :shifty:

Yep, and I can't think of even ONE reason that Microsoft shouldn't implement this functionality out of the box. That appears to be running on a current Samsung netbook, not some new prototype, so it probably will work with older Synaptics trackpads (multitouch ones at least). Maybe there's some hope yet for this to work on my Aspire One 722, which I think has the same trackpad as the Samsung.

Because there's no mouse pointer movement anymore :p It maps the touchpad directly as a touchscreen input - which means you need to visualise your screen as if it were shrunk and down and overlaid on your touchpad. Fine for big gestures, sucky for actually clicking on buttons or pointing at things.

I think that what most people aren't getting about the Start screen is that it's customizable

Nope for me. How that it helps to get over the facts that it looks ugly.

I think that what most people aren't getting about the Start screen is that it's customizable. People are taking that "first glance" aspect and thinking "OH GOD WHAT IS THIS CRAP..." and never taking a second thought along the lines of "Oh, ok, so I can customize this and get my most commonly used apps right here on the Start screen where I can find them with a single tap of the Windows key or a single click of the mouse in the lower left hand corner."

It'll take time for people to adjust. As I stated in a previous post, people can't stand change, but it'll happen as time goes by.

Once they come to the defacto realization that YES YOU CAN CHANGE THINGS (including yourself and those pesky first glance opinions) that all this hoopla will die down and before most folks know it they'll be zipping along as expected.

People will adapt. Or they'll stick with Windows 7... :shifty:

It's not JUST about start screen customization, FFS. It's about the whole UX. UI, or better, BOTH UIs are ugly and inconsistent. You have to switch constantly back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. Full screen metro apps look retarded on my 24" monitor.

• Like 3

Because there's no mouse pointer movement anymore :p It maps the touchpad directly as a touchscreen input - which means you need to visualise your screen as if it were shrunk and down and overlaid on your touchpad. Fine for big gestures, sucky for actually clicking on buttons or pointing at things.

I'm pretty sure that Synaptics would have thought of that. And I'm also pretty sure that there was a mouse pointer visible on that screen in the video. Mapping trackpad gestures to touchscreen gestures doesn't necessarily mean getting rid of the mouse pointer.