Has Apple Lost The Plot?

Novo 7 tablet. 7" screen, 2160p. Point invalid.

If Apple were to use Corning gorilla glass, their devices' screens wouldn't crack when dropped or scratch as easily as they do. I see an iPod touch or iPhone with a destroyed screen way too often to believe they use gorilla glass.

All the tests I've seen from Corning show the glass under bending stress. Blunt impact is a different thing.

While I agree that the iPad annoucement was a little underwhelming and expected, people forget that these decisions and designs were not done just after Steve Jobs died. This iPad has been in the pipeline for probably at least a year. Whether Apple really screw up might not be seen for another year or so.

All the tests I've seen from Corning show the glass under bending stress. Blunt impact is a different thing.

And, Apple actually replaces scratched screens and sometimes even cracked screens at their Apple Store. No Android tablet OEM is going to offer that kind of service or support.

At the end of the day, people love Apple products because they've been impressed by the quality of the product and the service Apple provides. Nothing anybody says in this thread is going to change my mind about it, because some random anonymous people ranting on-and-on won't ever come close to the level of my personal experiences with the products.

And on the other side of that, nothing I or any other "Apple fanboy" says is going to change people who dislike Apple as a company or dislike the way their products work. Nobody is changing anyones mind here, just bickering back and forth relentlessly for no purpose and to no end.

Novo 7 tablet. 7" screen, 2160p. Point invalid.

:laugh: Like Neo said, that tablet has a 800x480 screen. You're confused because it can decode up to 2160p video (I'm not even sure why that's a selling point considering it has such a small screen).

So...point still valid.

My Zune Hd has been deliberately thrown (as hard as I could muster) against the road to make a point to my friends with various iDevices. Not one scratch on the screen (the body however took a few nicks). Lets see an iPod touch do that.

My Zune Hd has been deliberately thrown (as hard as I could muster) against the road to make a point to my friends with various iDevices. Not one scratch on the screen (the body however took a few nicks). Lets see an iPod touch do that.

Nice one? Were the dents in the casing worth it? Lol? Anyway, I dropped my 2008 iPod touch more times than I can count. Especially when going out and it even slipped a few times out of my hand while riding my bike through central Amsterdam hitting the asphalt with speed. The screen survived it all.

Btw, did it come across that the 7-inch tablet you mentioned earlier does't actually have a 2160p screen?

first Gen iPod Touch to a cobble Stone Patio. nick on frame, no issue with glass. but it landed on its edge bounced then glass down

If Apple were to use Corning gorilla glass, their devices' screens wouldn't crack when dropped or scratch as easily as they do. I see an iPod touch or iPhone with a destroyed screen way too often to believe they use gorilla glass.

I left the screen of both my iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 1st gen (that I sold 2 years ago) and they don?t have any scratches. Also dropped my iPod Touch 1st gen when riding a bike, it fell from my pocket on the ground while I was going 25 km/h and nothing broke on it (I had a rubber case around it though). If you?re being minimally careful about your products, and put a rubber case on them (not hard plastic), they?ll never break.

At the end of the day, glass is glass, may it be Gorilla or not.

Were alcohol and/or drugs involved in this experiment?

• Like 2

You're mixing things up, the iPhone was released before the iPod touch and the whole point was for it to be an iPhone sans mobile network capabilities. That's what people wanted since day one and that's what Apple gave them.

Actually the iPad was in concept before the iPhone even existed. AT the time it was thought to be unmarketable and was shelved. Instead a smaller version which would be able to call or be used just as an iPod was created. Have you ever looked at how iPad looks like iPhone?

At the time Bill Gates was stongly advocating that we would go the tablet route and there was actually a tablet PC. In an interview with both Gates and Jobs which you can find on YouTube he talks about this and you can see Jobs go 'Oh ****' and do his best to change the topic....

Which means it still performs better than most (if not all) of the competition.
Actually it barely performs on par with iPad2 and summing up all the fancy numbers is well and good, but forgetting to mention you will eat all that extra power just to maintain your previous perfomance level (if that) is just silly IMO

Actually the iPad was in concept before the iPhone even existed. AT the time it was thought to be unmarketable and was shelved. Instead a smaller version which would be able to call or be used just as an iPod was created.?

That doesn't change the fact that the products were released in the following order:

Early 2007 iPhone | Late 2007 iPod touch | 2010 iPad

Have you ever looked at how iPad looks like iPhone?

No, never noticed it until this very moment?

Well that's not exactly true, but okay.

What I meant is, I understand there?s superior and stronger glass, but unbreakable is a strong word. Such glass does not exist. Glass WILL crack if you?re not careful.

Was the road made of pillows? I dropped my Zune HD about 5 or 6 feet on concrete and the screen cracked up a storm. I promptly purchased a new one...

Gorilla Glass helps with scratches and certain kinds of impact (basically non-corner impact), but it is still glass and can break as such (especially when a corner is hit).

Besides, Apple already uses Gorilla Glass on their products...

What I meant is, I understand there?s superior and stronger glass, but unbreakable is a strong word. Such glass does not exist. Glass WILL crack if you?re not careful.

With our current level of technology we can produce a sheet of glass that will withstand a bomb explosion. To say "glass is glass" is just plain nonsense.

Besides, Apple already uses Gorilla Glass on their products...

There's no definitive answer to that question one way or the other. Apple is however using aluminosilicate glass, which is the technical term for "Gorilla Glass". Whether its actual Gorilla Glass no one can say for sure. Apparently there are companies out there that make something similar. It's a all a bit vague and both companies refuse to give a straight answer. :/

Were alcohol and/or drugs involved in this experiment?

Who wants to know?

Nice one? Were the dents in the casing worth it? Lol? Anyway, I dropped my 2008 iPod touch more times than I can count. Especially when going out and it even slipped a few times out of my hand while riding my bike through central Amsterdam hitting the asphalt with speed. The screen survived it all.

Btw, did it come across that the 7-inch tablet you mentioned earlier does't actually have a 2160p screen?

My girlfriend got an iPod touch 4th gen for Christmas last year and the top right of the screen has cracks webbing out of it. (and the nicks aren't noticeable when I slip the case I got shortly after around my zune, so it was kinda worth it.)

Who wants to know?

Smashing a pricey piece of kit with, as you claim, a lot of force onto the road just to prove a point isn't really considered normal behavior. If any of my friends did that I'd walk away thinking either "what a retard" or "you had one too many".

My girlfriend got an iPod touch 4th gen for Christmas last year and the top right of the screen has cracks webbing out of it. (and the nicks aren't noticeable when I slip the case I got shortly after around my zune, so it was kinda worth it.)

Was the road made of pillows? I dropped my Zune HD about 5 or 6 feet on concrete and the screen cracked up a storm. I promptly purchased a new one...

Where does that leave you?

PS It's funny how you ignore every bit of text showing you wrong and/or another side of the story. (Y)

Reading the discussion above, God forbid we TRY to treat our devices with a little more care...

Accidents do happen, sure. So protect it with a case instead of hoping your device came with indestructible materials.

PS It's funny how you ignore every bit of text showing you wrong and/or another side of the story. (Y)

With a new Zune HD. I'm not sure what your point is. Are you attempting to say I didn't crack my Zune HD screen?

Smashing a pricey piece of kit with, as you claim, a lot of force onto the road just to prove a point isn't really considered normal behavior. If any of my friends did that I'd walk away thinking either "what a retard" or "you had one too many".

Well, we were all a little floaty, but it did win in a collision test. Either way, I believe it's time for me to depart from this thread as I've clearly brought nothing constructive to the table and you've proven me wrong more than once. With that, I bid you adieu.

With a new Zune HD. I'm not sure what your point is. Are you attempting to say I didn't crack my Zune HD screen?

What Stetson said, it wasn't directed at you. I should have added your quote before satukoro's, sorry about that.

I think he was just showing satukoro that anecdotal evidence can go both ways.

Bingo!

Well, we were all a little floaty, but it did win in a collision test. Either way, I believe it's time for me to depart from this thread as I've clearly brought nothing constructive to the table and you've proven me wrong more than once. With that, I bid you adieu.

Ciao. Be sure to let us know if you ever find that tablet with 2160p screen though! ;)

Wait till the iPhone 5 to decide whether Apple is dying. There's pretty much nothing the iPad could offer already, other than faster and upgraded performance in many of its key areas.

Besides, the next iPhone iteration is said to have the last touches of Jobs.