European carriers: Lumia phones are 'not good enough' to compete

Care to list them here?

There are few apps still missing from this list but i have found alternative apps but would still would like those apps in wp7

HBO Go

Viber

Words with Friends.

Audible

Cut the Rope

Pandora

Mint

goog voice

DropBox -- Dont trust third party app for this

Perfect app protector-- No alternative either

rebtal

Zinio

PayPal

TeamViewer

Firefox

etrade

US Bank app

Hulu

Dolphin HD

Tumblr

doubleTwist

Asphalt

Dont say some have are alternatives... I need officials app.. I dont trust third party

These are the app i have not installed before and i am missing since all my friends use these

Instagram

Draw Something

Temple run

angry bird space

Qantas came in wp7 recently so thats covered

Dont say some have are alternatives... I need officials app.. I dont trust third party

Wait, let me get this straight... so you don't trust the WP Marketplace, where submissions are professionally screened, but you're perfectly fine with downloading from Google Play where apps are published with no checks for quality or security, where anyone can masquerade as anyone else, where malware after malware keeps getting discovered, where apps with zero access permissions can upload your personal data from your SD card to anyone over the Internet, etc etc etc?

You might want to sit back and review your priorities instead of just blindly trusting that tinfoil hat to keep you safe.

I don't even own an Android phone mate. I have an iPhone 4S. If anything Android threatens iPhone so as an iPhone user it would be illogical for me to stick up for Android. I'm just using such good logic you can't refute it so all you can say is I don't make sense. Like a robot unable to understand a command. Windows Phone can't be bad or your tiny head will explode.

Only thing Windows Phone is going to threaten is Nokias survival.

Why do you care about Nokias survival, you own an iPhone 4S?

Wait, let me get this straight... so you don't trust the WP Marketplace, where submissions are professionally screened

Fair point, but even with Microsoft's quality screening, there's no way in hell I'd use a third party app for my Dropbox, PayPal, Facebook, Gmail, TeamViewer, etc.

you're perfectly fine with downloading from Google Play where apps are published with no checks for quality or security

Yep. People assume that Google Play is screened because the App store and WPMP are. In comparison Google Play is a wild west, and people have to treat is as such. People downloading free apps all over the place are going to have a BAD TIME, this is as true of Android as it is of desktop operating systems.

where anyone can masquerade as anyone else

Android basically applies the same filters for developers as the other app stores do. Most, if not all the big name brands are marked as "top developers" on Google Play and are obviously marked when downloading an app.

where malware after malware keeps getting discovered,

See above.

where apps with zero access permissions can upload your personal data from your SD card to anyone over the Internet, etc etc etc?

Can't defend that one, it's pretty bad, but AGAIN, your point revolves around the idea that people just download any old crap. People have to get smart about Android apps, but then these are the same people that NEED virus scanners on their PCs.

You might want to sit back and review your priorities instead of just blindly trusting that tinfoil hat to keep you safe.

I'd say he has his priorities in order. He/she wants apps, and he/she doesn't have them. Saying that "blind trust" is a bad thing is sort of hypocritical, since that's what you do when you put faith in Apple or Microsoft. After all, Nobody's perfect all the time

At the end of the day, Android's ecosystem is open with a low barrier to entry, just like a desktop OS, and as a result it's up to the user to use their intelligence and separate the wheat from the chaff. I like that I can download open source apps, and I like that I can disable settings to install apps not on the market. If you want a non-marketplace app on WP or iOS, you're basically SOL. I'm not saying its necessarily a bad thing to be restricted (except that to me, it is), it's just nice to have the freedom to do non-approved stuff with Android.

professionally screened? did you see all those I Am Rich spam apps for $499?

I suppose those are essential apps you have to install?

Don't get me started on spam apps, Android has way more of them than WP anyway.

Why do you care about Nokias survival, you own an iPhone 4S?

Because this is a discussion forum where people post their thoughts and opinions. I have no vested interest in any company I discuss on here.

You know how forums work right?

Wait, let me get this straight... so you don't trust the WP Marketplace, where submissions are professionally screened, but you're perfectly fine with downloading from Google Play where apps are published with no checks for quality or security, where anyone can masquerade as anyone else, where malware after malware keeps getting discovered, where apps with zero access permissions can upload your personal data from your SD card to anyone over the Internet, etc etc etc?

errr... facepalm... I dont trust entering my bank Id to a third party app.

or entering my login credential to paypals third party app.

I have no vested interest in any company I discuss on here.

So why are you trying to argue a point when you don't have any interest in any company you discuss on here? Bit of a waste of time eh?

So why are you trying to argue a point when you don't have any interest in any company you discuss on here? Bit of a waste of time eh?

You haven't been on the internet long, have you...

• Like 1

You haven't been on the internet long, have you...

56k dial up take a while to load pages I admit.

I can't believe people still don't get this. This is a forum. A forum is where people discuss things. Do you own stock in Microsoft or Nokia? No? Then what are you doing in this thread? Posting your thoughts and opinions? Well guess what that is the whole point of a forum.

I can't believe people still don't get this. This is a forum. A forum is where people discuss things. Do you own stock in Microsoft or Nokia? No? Then what are you doing in this thread? Posting your thoughts and opinions? Well guess what that is the whole point of a forum.

I'm in this thread because I do think Windows Phone is good enough to compete with Android and iOS. Just Microsoft needs to stop relying on the carriers for advertising them. Let alone supporting for phone updates. That needs to be like iOS where it updates via iTunes or when you check for them.

Apple have the luxury of not really having to advertise much since their products easily sell themselves. They have brand recognition sorted. Android is found of every other smart phone, so naturally there's 100000 Android phones sitting there. Microsoft are in the corner not really being promoted. Just there if someone randomly stumbles upon them.

I like competition. I own an iPhone, it does everything I want. I like Windows Phone 7.5, it's alternative and fun. I don't mind Android, but I wouldn't buy an Android phone.