Windows 8 Release Preview Discussion

As I agree with disabling Metro is rather weird, why not stick to W7 if you remove the core component which distinguises the 2. And what? "has no idea how to fix it shouldn't have tried it in the first place, its their own fault" -> ever heard of the concept of 'experimentation', you know, taking a leap to figure out how things work by manipulating or breaking them, aka core win32 components etc. Its a testing build, so I don't see why a bit of fun hacking shouldn't poke around??

But Windows 8 is like Windows 7.In fact it really is the same as Windows 7 apart from the Metro theme. But you can just add the Windows 7 start menu with Classic Shell or other start menu software,like I have done. Andrea Borman.

Windows 8 is not really Windows 7. Similar, but there are so many improvements. The way boot is handled, shutdown is handled, the new desktop composition engine , how services are run ...

But Windows 8 is like Windows 7.In fact it really is the same as Windows 7 apart from the Metro theme. But you can just add the Windows 7 start menu with Classic Shell or other start menu software,like I have done. Andrea Borman.

If you think it's like Windows 7 then why not just use Windows 7? I don't see the point in crippling Windows 8 by disabling Metro.

wow, people really think MS have been doing nothing but making Metro since they began building Windows 8 ?

Metro is a side effect of Windows 8, the real changes are in code, you can feel how much faster 8 is even to 7.

An example, copy to my cheap 4GB flash drive from 7, I get MAX 5.4MB/s

With 8 it bounces off 7MB/s

It is an all round improvement minus Metro

What a terrible litmus of an OS's performance. A 1.6MB/s gain in write speed to slow external storage is hardly a significant gain.

not sure if serious or being sarcastic

If you think it's like Windows 7 then why not just use Windows 7? I don't see the point in crippling Windows 8 by disabling Metro.

But software like Classic Shell,Vi Start,Start Menu 7 and others DOES NOT disable the Metro theme. It just adds the start button and Windows 7 start menu to the desktop. Which a lot of people find helpful. Andrea Borman.

But software like Classic Shell,Vi Start,Start Menu 7 and others DOES NOT disable the Metro theme. It just adds the start button and Windows 7 start menu to the desktop. Which a lot of people find helpful. Andrea Borman.

Hello? Like lcg said, why don't you just use Windows 7? What do you lose by using Windows 7?

Then you would NOT need kludges like classic shell.

As a matter of fact, go back to XP. That should be heaven to you.

Hello? Like lcg said, why don't you just use Windows 7? What do you lose by using Windows 7?

Then you would NOT need kludges like classic shell.

As a matter of fact, go back to XP. That should be heaven to you.

Windows 8 brings other advancements. But Metro is so intertwined with the OS code, that disabling it all together is out of the question without breaking the OS. Pushing it to the back won't hurt anything, but deleting DLLs shouldn't be done.

Well I think my Windows 8 looks very Windows XP ish, and my Windows Explorer in Windows 8 looks like Windows Vista and Windows 7's. With the classic Windows 98 toolbar buttons,thanks to Classic Shell's,Classic Explorer.

It's no hassle at all to get the Windows XP or Windows 7 start menu and start button. You just install Classic Shell or another start menu software.And you've got it.

Yesterday I had to do reinstall Windows XP,and reinstall all my programs again. Now that WAS a hassle. Andrea Borman.

post-417173-0-62746600-1340445404_thumb.

post-417173-0-74565900-1340445424_thumb.

Isn't "Metro" the theme/style.. and the "Start Screen" the thing you all are trying to disable? You keep saying "Disable Metro" but I think you mean remove the start screen and use a "Fake" Start Button.

If that's the case, you guys need to get your terminology straight..

I have a question for the latest build of Windows 8. I couldnt stop the sharing of the /users folder from showing up on my home network. So I went into the Control Panel and disables some of the setting in Advance Sharing options. Like Network Discovery, stuff like that. A day later while in the Metro UI I noticed that apps started closing after launch. Mail, Skydrive, Photos, MSNBC,Weather and Rowi among others. Some work fine like Amazon, Sky News and the app Store. Rowi gave me an interesting message saying I was connected to the internet and to check those settings.

I've since put those Advanced Sharing setting back to where they were and rebooted. But they still dont work. I'll give it a day before I just reformat. But I'd like to know if anyone else has had similar issue's.

<<Topic Cleaned>> - Look guys, if you don't like something, that's fine, but respect other peoples opinions. What may not be right for you might be right for someone else and vice-versa.

When I first installed Windows 8 on my Virtual Machine, I had my doubts if I was going to like it at all. But after using it for the best part of a week, I have kind of grown fond of the changes to be honest. I like the fact that IE10 has a spell checker, and a bout b***** time as well. It took me the best part of an hour to work out were all the changes were. What has been changed, or renamed or relocated. It's not rocket science, some of the changes are blatant obvious; although, some people may struggle getting to grips on shutting down and/or restarting Windows 8, which I can perfectly understand from a novice point of view they are going to be sweating like a pig panicking because they cannot shutdown Windows 8. When in fact Microsoft has made it easier to shutdown your Operating System.

For a complete novice there are two easy ways to shut down and/or restart Windows 8 would be to...

1. Win +C (open the Charms Menu, click on Settings)

2. Click on Power select from the popup menu

3. Either... Sleep, Shutdown, Restart

Or even faster...

1. Win +I (open the charms submenu Settings)

When I first installed Windows 8 on my Virtual Machine, I had my doubts if I was going to like it at all. But after using it for the best part of a week, I have kind of grown fond of the changes to be honest. I like the fact that IE10 has a spell checker, and a bout b***** time as well. It took me the best part of an hour to work out were all the changes were. What has been changed, or renamed or relocated. It's not rocket science, some of the changes are blatant obvious; although, some people may struggle getting to grips on shutting down and/or restarting Windows 8, which I can perfectly understand from a novice point of view they are going to be sweating like a pig panicking because they cannot shutdown Windows 8. When in fact Microsoft has made it easier to shutdown your Operating System.

For a complete novice there are two easy ways to shut down and/or restart Windows 8 would be to...

1. Win +C (open the Charms Menu, click on Settings)

Uh, or you could just move the mouse pointer around the corner and click Settings. It's faster and easier than using the keyboard Win-C - which requires you to remember a two-fingered keyboard shortcut, then requires you to arrow down to the specific charm you want, THEN requires you to still move the mouse pointer near the bottom right ANYWAY to actually click on the Power button. If you just use the charm with the mouse, your mouse pointer will already be near where the power button is, so same amount of mouse movement with fewer extra steps.

As I agree with disabling Metro is rather weird, why not stick to W7 if you remove the core component which distinguises the 2. And what? "has no idea how to fix it shouldn't have tried it in the first place, its their own fault" -> ever heard of the concept of 'experimentation', you know, taking a leap to figure out how things work by manipulating or breaking them, aka core win32 components etc. Its a testing build, so I don't see why a bit of fun hacking shouldn't poke around??

Not really. There are other performance and UI enhancements

I just discovered those rat ******** removed the icon sizing slider and replaced it with static sizes. Thanks again MS, get me hooked on (your best) sizing yet and then pull it. Arg.

**** weasles.

I just discovered those rat ******** removed the icon sizing slider and replaced it with static sizes. Thanks again MS, get me hooked on (your best) sizing yet and then pull it. Arg.

**** weasles.

Ctrl + mouse wheel still works? :/

I would say the one of the single things in Windows 8 that annoys me is there is no Icon which takes you to "Computer". Sure you have the explorer icon on the bottom, but then you have to click on computer from there. I could make my own, but I hate the fact they don't have one.

Ok, so I see if I right click the disappearing re appearing start button and choose "explorer" that seems to work. Seeing how it takes me right to "Computer" Why don't they just call it computer? All regular people know it as "Computer" not explorer.

I would say the one of the single things in Windows 8 that annoys me is there is no Icon which takes you to "Computer". Sure you have the explorer icon on the bottom, but then you have to click on computer from there. I could make my own, but I hate the fact they don't have one.

Ok, so I see if I right click the disappearing re appearing start button and choose "explorer" that seems to work. Seeing how it takes me right to "Computer" Why don't they just call it computer? All regular people know it as "Computer" not explorer.

Win+E

• Like 3

Although it's not an icon Win + E opens Computer.