Isn't Windows 8 the start of something great?

You guys need to realize something. You are asking general users to adopt change to a new UI paradigm and way of doing things. How many of those general users have jobs? How many of those general users will be using XP/Vista/7 still at that job? Sooner or later, general users ARE forced to upgrade (their computer died and need to get a new one). NOW are are asking general users to learn two different ways of doing things "just because"?

No, I really think Windows 8 will not do so well on the DESKTOP. IT support is going to be fun once Windows 8 is released. I remember trying to help somebody on the phone for 20 minutes trying to find the start menu at the bottom left. Some people just have very difficult time working with computers.

Windows 8 is a very inconsistent OS, and I know a few people that do not want to learn two ways of doing something (work and home). Note: They were able to use Windows 8 just fine, but they did not want to remember two ways of doing things. Ever since Windows 95, things have been pretty much the same. Now they are not.

Well, yes, that is what happens when things change. But that change is needed. One way or the other, the Start Menu paradigm isn't a long term computing viability if PCs are to evolve into more mobile and encompassing machines.

My PC doesn't need to be more mobile. If I want it to be more mobile I buy a laptop or tablet. Why do you have this obsession with everything having to be the same when these devices don't perform the same functions?

• Like 1

Well, yes, that is what happens when things change. But that change is needed. One way or the other, the Start Menu paradigm isn't a long term computing viability if PCs are to evolve into more mobile and encompassing machines.

Why does my desktop PC need to evolve?

Why does an i7 3.33Ghz, 18GB of ram computer need to evolve to a more mobile and encompassing machine? If I want mobile, I will buy a $400 mobile device. Not use my $4,000 computer with 30" monitors to run full screen applications.

• Like 3

I think they're going to hurt their (originally excellent) chance of thriving with this in the mobile environment by forcing it into the desktop.

Also, I realise I am in the minority with this, but am I the only one who isn't all that impressed with live tiles? Are we all so ADD and overstimulated these days that we have to have information and animations constantly flashing at us? :huh:

• Like 3

And this vocal group are the die hard techies. Introduce Windows 8 to the average user (girlfriend, mom, uncle Fred) show them the new ways of navigating, present Windows 8 neutrally as the new OS and see the reaction. For me average folk love it. Average people will only hate Windows 8 without trying it because their "techy" friend tells them to. Much like what happened to Vista.

I showed it to a few "Average folks" and they all hated it... it's "to complex" and "hard to understand".. be it these same people think the desktop is the same way.... some of my non-tech friends find navigation confusing... a couple called it "not logical"... i duno personally I think a tablet UI on a desktop is dumb, sure its unified, but it doesn't even act the same if you use a mouse, so you get use to doing things one way, then the mouse UI interaction is different...

I think they're going to hurt their (originally excellent) chance of thriving with this in the mobile environment by forcing it into the desktop.

Also, I realise I am in the minority with this, but am I the only one who isn't all that impressed with live tiles? Are we all so ADD and overstimulated these days that we have to have information and animations constantly flashing at us? :huh:

Absolutely not. I do NOT want 20 live tiles animating and giving me a headache. I do not understand the appeal. If I want weather, I can launch a browser. I do not need to know the weather at this given second all day every day.

Outlook already notifies me with new emails with a little mini popup and a sound. I do not need live tiles to tell me that.

If I am interested in Facebook or Twitter updates, I am already on Facebook and Twitter. I also get email notifications from them.

A screen without information (or even something relaxing to see, like a loading animation or a screensaver) is a screen that's not being used. Might as well unplug the monitor.

They don't impress me either, I don't like things that are flashy and in your face. When I want to see my email I check it, when I want to know the weather I will check it. Live tiles are just a gimmick in my opinion.

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't care for them at all either. If I need to see the weather I'll either look outside or open up a tab in my web browser. My email is in an "app" tab, too. I don't need separate programs for these things and I think it's amusing that people try to use them as a selling point for the metro start screen.

I'm really starting to get tired of the app, too. Same goes for content. Those two particular words are getting really overused these days.

I like live tiles - but I'd remind those who don't to simply delete them - it's your start screen, not mine, and it's quite configurable. I'd say more the problem is that they've killed off widgets but live tiles only exist on the start screen so i can't see them from the desktop (so i'm using rainmeter)

Are the people who don't like live tiles all iOS users perchance? :)

A screen without information (or even something relaxing to see, like a loading animation or a screensaver) is a screen that's not being used. Might as well unplug the monitor.

So you are saying you might as well unplug your monitor instead of using live tiles?

I like live tiles - but I'd remind those who don't to simply delete them - it's your start screen, not mine, and it's quite configurable. I'd say more the problem is that they've killed off widgets but live tiles only exist on the start screen so i can't see them from the desktop (so i'm using rainmeter)

Again, Windows 8 just screams TABLET. Live tiles will be fine on a tablet. But on a desktop? Nope.

You guys need to realize something. You are asking general users to adopt change to a new UI paradigm and way of doing things. How many of those general users have jobs? How many of those general users will be using XP/Vista/7 still at that job? Sooner or later, general users ARE forced to upgrade (their computer died and need to get a new one). NOW are are asking general users to learn two different ways of doing things "just because"?

Stop being so dramatic. People adapt. No one is forcing anyone.

No, I really think Windows 8 will not do so well on the DESKTOP. IT support is going to be fun once Windows 8 is released. I remember trying to help somebody on the phone for 20 minutes trying to find the start menu at the bottom left. Some people just have very difficult time working with computers.

It took 20 minutes to explain to press the Windows key?

Windows 8 is a very inconsistent OS, and I know a few people that do not want to learn two ways of doing something (work and home). Note: They were able to use Windows 8 just fine, but they did not want to remember two ways of doing things. Ever since Windows 95, things have been pretty much the same. Now they are not.

It actually isn't very inconsistent. The problem is we learn to do things a certain way. We don't usually like change. There is more than two ways of doing things in Windows. This will not change anything in that area. You really think there is just one way of using Windows, as in the start menu? With Windows 7 you don't even need to use it anymore. With Windows 8 it will have a purpose again.

I think it will be great, eventually. The haters need to look at the big picture. Would you not want to have the same behavior on all your devices? This is the beginning of that.

Nope. Android, can't stand iOS

vista's problem was drivers not really the os itself

Yes, but it was fixed by the time it got to my country. I still like it on my notebook computer. Apart from being a bit RAM intensive it isn't too bad. I liked it straight away. Win 7 was just a publicity fix for Vista. I like Win 7 a lot, although it's a bit swings & roundabouts between Vista if you ask me. Win 7 is better overall I reckon. I just don't like Win 8 at all. I think saving up for a Macbook is going to be a potential option now. I may just wait until Win 9.

So you are saying you might as well unplug your monitor instead of using live tiles?

I'm making the argument that "if you are not using your screen for a purpose other than it to sit there, you might as well unplug it". Live tiles serve one such purpose, but you haven't stated any other, so until then: yes, in a world where your screen can show only Live Tiles, you should shut your screen off if you don't want that information. That's the wording.

Why do you have this obsession with everything having to be the same when these devices don't perform the same functions?

But, they do. Desktops and laptops are the same devices, just different forms. Now Microsoft is adding touchscreen computing and tablets to that mix.

Stop being so dramatic. People adapt. No one is forcing anyone.

Um yes they are being forced. In three years when their computer dies, and go to Dell or someplace for a new one. What will be included?

No, they do not. A desktop computer is a desktop computer. Try playing Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect 3 on a tablet. A desktop computer has absolutely no need for a tablet UI.

• Like 3

Again, Windows 8 just screams TABLET. Live tiles will be fine on a tablet. But on a desktop? Nope.

It's supposed to - that's the point of commonality across 3/4 platforms. I can't see live tiles as being particularly contentious - delete or don't use them and they're gone. One could argue they'll make a lot of sense to Android users or indeed anyone who's seen a 'widget' in their lives. It's surprising people don't point out where there are genuine problems - like the lack of folder grouping for legacy apps, or that the legacy tiles look rather poor by comparison. Adding groups with semantic zoom by hand is tedious to say the least. These things I'm keen to see something done about, not the oh-my-god-the-tiles-they're-moving-help-me stuff :)

Nope. Android, can't stand iOS

Me either, at times. Apple's UI is a block of static icons - it's stupid in 2012. Do you not use widgets on android at all? Or just configure it like iOS?

No, they do not. A desktop computer is a desktop computer. Try playing Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect 3 on a tablet. A desktop computer has absolutely no need for a tablet UI.

Seeing how I can play Halo 2 and CoD 4 on my mid range laptop, in a few years that might be possible. Just sayin.

You haven't used it much, have you?

Problem 1: If an app supports it, a desktop shortcut will be placed automatically, otherwise, you'll have to browse to the Program's folder. You can also right click on its tile in the Start Screen and pin it to the taskbar.

Problem 2: Easily solved by pressing any key on the keyboard, or clicking the mouse.

How are these steps easier than it was in Win 7? It's like going backwards. I have to go back and forth to that childish looking metro interface with these full screen applications. What Microsoft should have done was allow desktop users to have the interface optional or at least boot to a traditional desktop. I hate having to go back and forth to metro. I use WIndows Media Center for TV but guess what i can't boot directly into it. I have a stong feeling that Win 8 will not be received well by users of non touch screen devices.