What do you expect (not hope) to see in Windows 9?

I did not like the metro tiles and that caused me to dump Windows on my handset for Android. Now, it has sent me from Windows to OS X. Although I have a number of Windows PCs, the last 4 I have purchase over the last year have been Macs. The thing is, I love Windows 7 as much as I loathe Windows 8. I still renewed my Technet subscription, but not cheerfully.

The Charms Bar doesn't take up any more space on the desktop than the Start Menu did.

Sure, I understand that some functions can be quite complex, but there is always room for improvement. After all, the mouse isn't going to be around forever, but these types of apps will. One way or another, they'll adapt to new technologies on the market.

My issue is with it being accidentally tiggered, which happens quite a lot unfortunately.

Believe it or not but the fact is that MS has in their mind to force the people to get rid of Mouse. At present people are so friendly (I will say addicted to it) to mouse with windows OS that people will become handicapped if mouse is not given to them.

The use of mouse has paralysed the feasibility and viability of other input method. Development of any product/technic will be successful only when its marketing/sales become successful as funding (development cost) is done to get good returns.

So let?s start thinking what would be the best replacement of Mouse and you will get the answer why the windows 8 is in its present state.

Believe it or not but the fact is that MS has in their mind to force the people to get rid of Mouse. At present people are so friendly (I will say addicted to it) to mouse with windows OS that people will become handicapped if mouse is not given to them.

The use of mouse has paralysed the feasibility and viability of other input method. Development of any product/technic will be successful only when its marketing/sales become successful as funding (development cost) is done to get good returns.

So let?s start thinking what would be the best replacement of Mouse and you will get the answer why the windows 8 is in its present state.

The best replacement for the mouse is not touch... is the mind itself, whoever creates a device that can read mind thoughts accurately for moving a pointer... then thay day you will see real perfection.

Why do they have to move? Can you imagine what touch would do to some of these programs? How much easier it would be with AutoCAD and the like using an inclined multi-touch screen and a stylus to manipulate objects rather than a mouse? How about having a nice 30 inch screen embedded into a desk to work with and draw on like I do a piece of paper? There's nothing, nothing, saying engineering programs can't work with touch.

You say Autocad, as only the things that draw can actually be somehow "metro-ified" but other than that you lack arguments against pretty much all coding/programming and anything that relies on mouse but doesn't draw (Labview... and some others come to mind)

I understand that. But they don't need to strip out features to make way for new features. We can have both and you can use whichever you prefer. You know that right? If all Microsoft heard as feedback was that everyone wants more OPTIONS* then they would be compelled to add those options and in the process make everyone happy. And please. You are trying to make out like there won't be security vulnerabilities in Windows 8.

You draw some funny conclusions. I'm all for change if I think the change is better. My opinion is that the direction MS is taking Windows 8 with the metro garbage is not change for the better though. If I'm afraid of change then you're afraid of having options, which I find really odd.

*Capitalized, bold, italicized, and underlined to emphasize the importance of the word.

Only a SMALL vocal minority want these outdated legacy options, MS doesn't care about the minority, they care about making a great computing experience for the majority of users, you choose to be in the minority, good for you, but don't expect companies to bend over backwards because you yell the loudest, it's not going to happen, you really need to realize that change is happening, adjust to it or become extinct

• Like 2

You say Autocad, as only the things that draw can actually be somehow "metro-ified" but other than that you lack arguments against pretty much all coding/programming and anything that relies on mouse but doesn't draw (Labview... and some others come to mind)

That's where the radial menu comes into play.... that radial menu is what makes complex apps work on a touchscreen once they iterate on it for a few versions. Even the fine granularity is possible with the drag a line out of the radial menu (shown off in the pixel sense demo's).

I expect the people crying about Windows 8 to finally have moved on to something else so we don't have to hear it every other post.

I suspect we'll see an even further disconnect from the traditional desktop.

I also suspect we will instead start to see Windows 8.1, Windows 8.2, etc... with further improvements that are more than service packs, but not quite full releases.

• Like 2

Only a SMALL vocal minority want these outdated legacy options, MS doesn't care about the minority, they care about making a great computing experience for the majority of users, you choose to be in the minority, good for you, but don't expect companies to bend over backwards because you yell the loudest, it's not going to happen, you really need to realize that change is happening, adjust to it or become extinct

It is attitude like this that really gets me. "adjust to it or become extinct". Really? Guess what, the majority of people only get on their computer for email and facebook (web browser lets say). Let's make Windows 9 ONLY do that. Gamers are not the majority of computer users, so let's stop with the graphics enhancements.

As I said before, I do not have time to adjust and change every one of my habits. I have had basically the same habits since I was 8 years old with Windows 95. I know the start menu like the back of my hand. Every setting can be found there in ONE menu. It takes two clicks (and in the same menu) to shut down.

Windows 8 severely breaks my workflow. I do not have hours and days to "get used to it" because clients and people are waiting for my content/service. The start screen is a giant mess and I do not have the time to organize it. The start menu never got messy like the start screen does.

It is attitude like this that really gets me. "adjust to it or become extinct". Really? Guess what, the majority of people only get on their computer for email and facebook (web browser lets say). Let's make Windows 9 ONLY do that. Gamers are not the majority of computer users, so let's stop with the graphics enhancements.

As I said before, I do not have time to adjust and change every one of my habits. I have had basically the same habits since I was 8 years old with Windows 95. I know the start menu like the back of my hand. Every setting can be found there in ONE menu. It takes two clicks (and in the same menu) to shut down.

Windows 8 severely breaks my workflow. I do not have hours and days to "get used to it" because clients and people are waiting for my content/service. The start screen is a giant mess and I do not have the time to organize it. The start menu never got messy like the start screen does.

You must be pretty bad at using computers if it takes you that long to adjust to Win8

It's all still there. It works pretty much the same as Win7 except for a larger start menu

You must be pretty bad at using computers if it takes you that long to adjust to Win8

It's all still there. It works pretty much the same as Win7 except for a larger start menu

Oh thanks for telling me I am bad at computers. I know how to use Windows 95 up to Windows 7 very well. I was in a part time helpdesk position while in college for years, and I always knew how to do something. So do not tell me I am bad at using computers. Ok?

I do not even have an hour anymore to get used to a new system. I have a full time job and a part time job on top of that. Clients are waiting for me to release stuff for them and provide services. Back when I was in college I could spend all the time I wanted to get used to a new system. I know how to use OS X, Windows, and Ubuntu. I probably could not learn how to use those now.

I agree. In a forum full of computer nerds/geeks, it's disturbing to think I may be one of the most computer literate people here (hint: I'm not). My point is... the it breaks my workflow because I have to jump back and forth and so on, doesn't really hold water. I'm not saying it isn't true for YOU. But, I choose to spend most of my time with some element of Metro be that Snap View, IE10, reading news or whatever. So, I can spend hours on the Metro side.

Then I can switch at any point when it's time for me to get to work. Last night for example, I spent a good 5 hours on the desktop. I never saw the Start Screen in that entire time. And, egads! I don't see the Start Screen unless I want to. Guess where all of my most used programs on the desktop are? That's right, the taskbar.

When I'm in the desktop, guess how I search for things? You'll never guess. I'll just tell ya. I pull up the Charms bar, or just Win+Q and type what I'm looking for. I never see the Start Screen in these instances and it takes the "two clicks" that most people claim the old Start Menu took.

So, I'm utterly amazed that somehow I fly through Win 8 and the Start Screen, which I enjoy, doesn't get in my way. It never rears its "ugly" head if I don't want it to. I don't HAVE to search for anything from the Start Screen if I don't want to. In fact... I can compute for hours and hours and hours and NEVER EVER SEE IT. Ya know how I know? I do it on a near daily basis.

So... let me raise a glass to all of us really super-dee-duper-dee smarty computer users that have managed to maintain the exact same or better workflow in Windows 8. Hooray us!

P.S. If you have a $49,000 PC with Windows 8 on it, it DOES NOT ACT LIKE A TABLET. Let me repeat that. Windows 8 DOES NOT make your computer act like a tablet. It makes your computer, in most instances, act like a more efficient and faster computing device. You know? That old archaic desktop thingy that's hanging out over there that I was talking about spending hours and hours on above? It's better now.

P.P.S. This thread is so horribly off-topic. The engineer is dead, people. Denzel Washington and Chris Pine cannot save us.

• Like 3

The best replacement for the mouse is not touch... is the mind itself, whoever creates a device that can read mind thoughts accurately for moving a pointer... then thay day you will see real perfection.

I never said the touch is the best replacement. there are many others but that is not in the question. windows 8 is just the first step to get rid of mouse keeping in mind the present feasible popular replacement.

technic with habitude does not incorporate happily a quantum jump in innovation/invention but in step by step in proportion and windows 8 is just a first step. first step to curtail the use of mouse.

I love the claim that since we don't like it, it surely means we need to be educated, can't adjust, or are bad at computers (Mods - you wonder why people get so ****ed here - there you go). We can use it just fine, we just don't prefer it. Its annoying. Especially when a couple small tweaks would do wonders.

MS changed the default UAC behavior in Win7 compared to Vista (because it was bloody annoying), I do think we will see the same trends with Win9 and Metro.

You can't search in Win8 without invoking a full screen puke session.

• Like 3

We can use it just fine, we just don't prefer it. Its annoying.

Preference is one thing. Which is subjective. I can certainly understand this and begrudge no one their stated preferences.

Sure ya can! Now with 100% less "puke"!

bull****, your posts among others are the ones that are quite vocal about what you think of those users who don't prefer it and seek simple changes to an otherwise solid OS while Metro evolves. Not once have any of you given an ounce of empathy, instead choosing to just stir the pot. Instead you just stick your heads in the sand. The worst form of intellectual dishonesty.

Prove it.

i hope to see microsoft get off this silly metro BS and return to traditional desktops and WINDOWS, not screens.

Which im sure they will once windows 8 flops.

HURR DURR I can't read a thread title correctly!!

Please tell me that you are a poor troll and that you aren't stupid enough to really think that MS will drop Metro for Windows 9.

Don't you understand that they are offering a brand new ecosystem where you get the same experience through all your device? (pc/tablet/phone/xbox) All those devices are going to be fully synchronized and you'll be able to carry your data/settings/etc through all of them. You can even make them interact directly through new API that are secured (sandboxed) and validated by MS which will ditch a lot of crappy apps.

Don't want to use that ecosystem? Fine go elsewhere. Don't want to use Metro ? Fine you can still use the desktop and run all your legacy Windows apps on Windows 8, with many improvements only made for the Desktop.

Want to troll on a thread by posting something off topic and bragging like a child by posting non constructive comment? Don't post at all instead please! Join the loud minority of Metro-haters and have an orgy all together of hate instead of trolling around.

Herp derp power, you got it right man!

bull****, your posts among others are the ones that are quite vocal about what you think of those users who don't prefer it and seek simple changes to an otherwise solid OS while Metro evolves. Not once have any of you given an ounce of empathy, instead choosing to just stir the pot. Instead you just stick your heads in the sand. The worst form of intellectual dishonesty.

Prove it.

You prove it. I dare you to go find A SINGLE post of mine that says ANYTHING offensive, obscene, or terrible about "those users who don't prefer it". You'll find the opposite. I try to have the utmost respect for members of these forums and their opinions while also observing where those opinions differ and calling people on their "facts"

Have I said that we need to move on from how we currently use computers? Yep. Have I said that I have no issues using Windows 8 and that my workflow is unaffected? Yep. But, I've disrespected no one at any time with any of my posts and have always spoken about the subjective versus the objective.

I've used humor and some sarcasm here and there, but nothing over the top. You'll find no profanity-laced tirades from me, no name calling of any kind, or any other such nonsense from me. Again... I dare you to find one post that has any of the above. I double dare you. I triple dog dare you!

I expect to see winrt make it's way to the desktop, that would let us actually run metro apps windowed if we wanted to and not be limited to full screen. I also expect the systray to probably go in Windows 9 and to see the taskbar support live tiles.

I'm right on the Search and you know it. Instead of pretending to be so civilized, why don't you worry about the truth first?

How is that statement right ?

You are holding the one and mighty truth now? HAIL TO OUR NEW LORD!!!

It has been said already dozen of times why the new search is much more powerful than the old one. You have more results per page, it is now filtering the results per apps/settings/file (which makes it much more accurate and faster) and so on.

Go troll elsewhere plz.

• Like 2

It has been said already dozen of times why the new search is much more powerful than the old one. You have more results per page, it is now filtering the results per apps/settings/file (which makes it much more accurate and faster) and so on.

Go troll elsewhere plz.

Although the new search becomes highly unproductive and actually much slower when the end-user ends up puking every time the Start Screen comes into view. People will definitely expect that nasty side effect to be addressed in Windows 9.

PS On a more serious note: Do you really require every post to start with "In my opinion?", "It's my view that?" etc.? Get over yourself please.

How is that statement right ?

Go troll elsewhere plz.

How is it more powerful? It's pretty much the same bloody thing; except it's full screen and broken down into 3 categories; which slows searches down since you have to potentially click on a different category.

Let me come over to your point of view.

The fact is, and I will admit it, the full screen thing is subjective per user, some people don't multitask by watching multiple windows, when they go to search and run something.

If you accept that statement, then you can conclude that once in the Metro full screen, clicking on a search category to narrow things down probably isn't a big deal, since you've already hidden whatever else you were doing. The process doesn't take long either, and the switch to Metro is incredibly quick.

Also, as you said, there are more items displayed then the old start menu could display. However you also have to conclude that the more letters in your search term, the less results; potentially making the argument of more results per page null.

Congratulations, you now know how to properly make an argument, give your self a pat on the back :)

And yet Windows Phone 7 after a year in the market only has 1.9% market share. A single phone like the Samsung S III has out sold all Windows Phones shipped to date, twice over.

Are we really in the minority? And yes I have to use the Phone as an example because Windows 8 hasn't even shipped yet so to say any of us are in the minority at this early point means you must be basing that off your own opinion or on the lackluster sales of Windows Phone devices. So which is it?