Walmart refuses to sell shotgun to woman

You are, on all counts. A shotgun is FAR more effective for home defense than a pistol.

So true. A shotgun fires in a scattering pattern so all you have to do is to shoot in the general direction and you have a decent chance of hitting something. A pistol actually needs someone who is a decent shot.

I think she should carry a 'sawn off' shotgun, that would have the desired effect and would be easier to conceal.

Generally shortened shotguns are not legal in most states or at least without proper paperwork and fees which are hard to get.

When talking about home protection, concealability is not a consideration, when confronting an intruder, you WANT him to be scared and leave or suffer the consequences, a full size shotgun leaves no mistake of your intention.

Generally shortened shotguns are not legal in most states or at least without proper paperwork and fees which are hard to get.

When talking about home protection, concealability is not a consideration, when confronting an intruder, you WANT him to be scared and leave or suffer the consequences, a full size shotgun leaves no mistake of your intention.

the paperwork isn't really hard to get. Just time consuming.

Surely a shotgun would ruin the inside of a house if used in defence there. You'd end up cleaning blood and plastering over holes, possibly destroying appliances... The appliances they were probably coming in to take!

What happened to smacking them round the head with a pan? Now its all about shooting people so they bleed out on your carpet.

She should be able to buy it, but realy, a shot gun for "protection"?

yeah I do not get this. Maybe move to a better location if you do not feel safe.

Does everyone in the US live their life in fear like this? what a horrible way of life you have.

I like this! Why live somewhere you do not feel safe.

So true. A shotgun fires in a scattering pattern so all you have to do is to shoot in the general direction and you have a decent chance of hitting something. A pistol actually needs someone who is a decent shot.

Lol really, I hope you're being sarcastic. The closer the shot the tighter the group even at greater distances its not a scatter weapon.

yeah I do not get this. Maybe move to a better location if you do not feel safe.

I like this! Why live somewhere you do not feel safe.

I have news for you, unless you live in the middle of no where, you're not safe. There are horrible people every where pretty much and horrible people do harm to others. I don't live in a fish bowl where I think i'm totally safe all the time. The worst may never happen but if it does I have something to defend myself with. I don't see a problem with being able to protect yourself from horrible people..

I have news for you, unless you live in the middle of no where, you're not safe. There are horrible people every where pretty much and horrible people do harm to others. I don't live in a fish bowl where I think i'm totally safe all the time. The worst may never happen but if it does I have something to defend myself with. I don't see a problem with being able to protect yourself from horrible people..

That might be true in the USA, but it's not true for much of western Europe. We just don't NEED to go to bed with a gun under our pillows...

That said, my wife, who had never shot a pistol in her life before, managed about a 6 inch grouping of 10 shots from about 20 feet after about 20 minutes of training from me. And that was with a low end pistol known for accuracy problems. Certainly accurate enough to hit any intruder. I guess the training I got in the Navy allowed me to train her pretty well (or she's just a natural, not sure). As far as the point I was making though, a shotgun is better for home defense mainly because it has a lower chance of going through a wall into a neighbor's house or hitting someone outside.

It's also called premeditated murder, purchased for the sole purpose of using against another human.

But don't kid yourself, it is fear.

LOL, you CLEARLY don't understand the concept of premeditated murder or castle doctrine. Do yourself a favor and stay out of threads like this before you start sounding like a moron.

LOL, you CLEARLY don't understand the concept of premeditated murder or castle doctrine. Do yourself a favor and stay out of threads like this before you start sounding like a moron.

Actually, it depends on the country.

Take this incident from the UK, for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)

Guy gets a gun so he can use it defend his home from yet another intruder. Guy shoots burglar. Guy goes to prison.

Sure, in the US you'd get away with that; but not many other places.

Surely a shotgun would ruin the inside of a house if used in defence there. You'd end up cleaning blood and plastering over holes, possibly destroying appliances... The appliances they were probably coming in to take!

Thanks for proving that you have no idea what you are talking about. Yeah, you might have to patch up a few holes in the wall, but that's certainly a better option than having to bury your loved ones.

What happened to smacking them round the head with a pan? Now its all about shooting people so they bleed out on your carpet.

Smacking someone with a pan requires 1. that you can sneak up behind the perp and 2. that you are within arm's reach of the perp. Neither are realistic options during a home invasion or burglary.

Actually, it depends on the country.

Take this incident from the UK, for example.

http://en.wikipedia....Martin_(farmer)

Guy gets a gun so he can use it defend his home from yet another intruder. Guy shoots burglar. Guy goes to prison.

Sure, in the US you'd get away with that; but not many other places.

Since the article being discussed here is about the US, I was speaking from the US perspective. But thanks for that link which proves just how moronic UK gun laws have become. The idea that a man living on a farm (so obviously not near a police station that would be able to get help to him in a reasonable time frame) would be tried for murder for defending his life and property is utterly stupid.

Since the article being discussed here is about the US, I was speaking from the US perspective.

Sure, but haven't you noticed that most of the folks decrying guns in this thread aren't actually FROM the US? You've got to allow for different perspectives on things. Most of us in the EU will just never really understand the average American's love of their guns, and we really don't see the need for them in our (mostly) safe societies.

I'm not one to say you should give them up, mind you. But your love of the things IS primarily the reason why so many of you feel you need them...

Also, what that other person said.. Buying guns in a SUPERMARKET?!? O.o

Since the article being discussed here is about the US, I was speaking from the US perspective. But thanks for that link which proves just how moronic UK gun laws have become. The idea that a man living on a farm (so obviously not near a police station that would be able to get help to him in a reasonable time frame) would be tried for murder for defending his life and property is utterly stupid.

Point is, if I lived in so much fear I had to haver a gun in the house to feel safe. I'd move to another country.

Sure, but haven't you noticed that most of the folks decrying guns in this thread aren't actually FROM the US?

which is precisely why those people shouldn't even be commenting on something that they clearly don't understand.

Also, what that other person said.. Buying guns in a SUPERMARKET?!? O.o

Walmart isn't just a supermarket. It sells all sorts of items, including sporting goods, clothes, etc. The people who work in the sporting goods department are trained the same way they would be if they worked in any sporting goods store that sells guns, and they have to use the same procedures to sell the guns that would be used at any gun shop or other store that sells them.