Walmart refuses to sell shotgun to woman

Because you think it could never happen to you, otherwise you'd prepare yourself for the worst even if it never happens.

to me having a gun is not the solution for our family. Sorry.

I am not scared of guns. I was in the military, deployed and actually used my weapon during it. Just because you have a gun in the house, and shoot it at the range mean you can actually shoot someone with it. I seen soldiers even freeze up and that can be costly.

Anything can happen at any time. An airplane can fall on my house. I will not move underground.

As I said. I feel safe in my neighborhood. when I was single I lived in shady parts of town where it was less safe. I do not keep the doors open at night or when I leave the house ( well sometimes when i just go to 7-11).

If I didn't feel safe I would move.

I know people love their guns here. A few of my friends love to go to the range. It just not my thing. for fun or safety. Personally I do not find it a good deterrent. For others it is. That what choice is about. But I can disagree with it.

to me having a gun is not the solution for our family. Sorry.

I am not scared of guns. I was in the military, deployed and actually used my weapon during it. Just because you have a gun in the house, and shoot it at the range mean you can actually shoot someone with it. I seen soldiers even freeze up and that can be costly.

Anything can happen at any time. An airplane can fall on my house. I will not move underground.

As I said. I feel safe in my neighborhood. when I was single I lived in shady parts of town where it was less safe. I do not keep the doors open at night or when I leave the house ( well sometimes when i just go to 7-11).

If I didn't feel safe I would move.

I know people love their guns here. A few of my friends love to go to the range. It just not my thing. for fun or safety. Personally I do not find it a good deterrent. For others it is. That what choice is about. But I can disagree with it.

I never implied that just because you have a gun, that means you can shoot someone. Having a gun and training go hand and hand. To you what is a good deterrent?

No sane person should be buying a shotgun at Walmart as it is, so in the long run if they go to a reputable gun shop, not only will they get a better deal, but will also know exactly where to go for any modifications or adjustments they might end up needing

Better deal... no.

But don't kid yourself, it is fear.

Do you wear a condom every time you have sex? If you do, you're scared. You're just scared you'll get an STD. So stop using condoms and show us how to live our lives without fear of anything.

Seeing as I have a fiancee and don't sleep with random meaningless women just for sex, no I don't use condoms as I don't have any fears of such things.

You probably have at some point in your life. Its all about preventive action. Wear a condom to keep from getting someone pregnant, buy a gun to keep from being killed. Is either 100%? No but not having one makes the odds against you a lot greater.

What I was implying was that a different weapon could be used, not a shot gun. If you're loved ones were in the house would you really let off a shot gun - how much control do you have over the spread of one of those things? What about an riffle? Shoot them, make sure you hit them, minimal damage to your property and most importantly, minimal damage to innocent victims around you. If we're going to defend ourselves with lethal force it should be in a manner in which we ourselves do not become the criminals.

Thanks for proving you have NO idea what you are talking about. The spread of a shotgun at the ranges you are talking about is minimal at best. A shotgun won't generally penetrate outside your own walls while a rifle can EASILY go through your wall and hit someone in the street or in the next house, etc.

:laugh:

I am sure the screams of people getting stabbed wouldn't scare anyone away.

You don't think it's possible to kill someone with a knife and have them be silent?

Sorry but a shotgun isn't for protection, it's designed to kill someone.

Having a shotgun is clearly intent to kill and you're basically a murderer, killing for your own interests when it's not necessary.

Look another idiot.

Shotguns weren't designed to kill people. No gun was designed to kill people. Guns are designed to accelerate a projectile, the people using the gun decides what that projectile hits.

God you people are ridiculous.

Can someone answer these questions for me? How is it any concern of people in Europe or the UK if Americans have the right to own guns? And how is it that people who have likely never even used a gun somehow consider themselves experts on how they are used?

Warning shots? Shooting to wound or disable (usually by shooting in the limbs)? Hitting an intruder with a frying pan or baseball bat? A shotgun being more dangerous to use in a house than a rifle?

Seriously, where in the hell do these ignorant ideas come from? People seem to get WAY too much of their "knowledge" about guns from movies and TV.

Can someone answer these questions for me? How is it any concern of people in Europe or the UK if Americans have the right to own guns?

For many Europeans, it is not 'normal' to have guns -- so they do not understand our viewpoint.

It all comes down to one's beliefs.

Thanks for proving you have NO idea what you are talking about. The spread of a shotgun at the ranges you are talking about is minimal at best. A shotgun won't generally penetrate outside your own walls while a rifle can EASILY go through your wall and hit someone in the street or in the next house, etc.

NO NEED to thank me. Surely that largely depends on the power of the riffle. I was always of the impression that a double barrel shotgun (or do people just by combat shotguns?) spreads and ruins anything in its path, not really a precise machine, and a riffle being more of a precise aim and shoot weapon. Clearly I was wrong - probably too much info from movies as you later said.

NO NEED to thank me. Surely that largely depends on the power of the riffle. I was always of the impression that a double barrel shotgun (or do people just by combat shotguns?) spreads and ruins anything in its path, not really a precise machine, and a riffle being more of a precise aim and shoot weapon. Clearly I was wrong - probably too much info from movies as you later said.

LOL combat shotgun? You really need to educate yourself so that you don't look like a bafoon.

No, a .22cal rifle "very tiny round" will go through a wall and still has enough power to kill someone standing in a street.

A shotgun is 100x better for close quarters situations because rifle rounds go too fast to cause carnage and destruction when fired on the human body in close quarters. Rifles are generally only effective at ranges of 50+ yards.

Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.

While i agree that the particular weapon in question is over powered for what she claimed it would be used for. I do not see how they could justify blocking the sale to her.

LOL combat shotgun? You really need to educate yourself so that you don't look like a bafoon.

No, a .22cal rifle "very tiny round" will go through a wall and still has enough power to kill someone standing in a street.

A shotgun is 100x better for close quarters situations because rifle rounds go too fast to cause carnage and destruction when fired on the human body in close quarters. Rifles are generally only effective at ranges of 50+ yards.

Walk quietly, but carry a big stick.

Too late. He already sounds like a bafoon (autocorrect suggestion was baboon...seems appropriate).

I never understood why people get assault rifles for "protection". Having one endangers the entire neighbourhood. The rounds can easily go through a wall...and a few walls after that.

For many Europeans, it is not 'normal' to have guns -- so they do not understand our viewpoint.

It all comes down to one's beliefs.

True. I own guns and use them for hunting occasionally but I have never aimed one at another person and hope I never have to do so. For me it's just another possession, like owning a car. No big deal.

Too late. He already sounds like a bafoon (autocorrect suggestion was baboon...seems appropriate).

I never understood why people get assault rifles for "protection". Having one endangers the entire neighbourhood. The rounds can easily go through a wall...and a few walls after that.

I think you need to read up on ballistics a bit, this statement does not match the reality of most assault rifle bullets.

Okay some quick thoughts come up when I read this and the responses.

She should be able to buy it, but realy, a shot gun for "protection"?

Would it be hard get to? At least harder than a pistol would be. A pistol seems like it'd be easier to get/equip/and fire.

but i could be wrong.

Nah I think you're right on, there... I'm sure that's why pistols are more highly regulated than long-barrel guns in pretty much any given state and a lot of countries outside the U.S. because they are easier to conceal, grip, draw, etc.

I think she should have just went for a pistol instead but it was really her choice.

To be honest, it would have looked highly suspicious that she was buying it for someone else.

She clearly did not personally know anything about the gun she was buying and was on the specific direction to buy that model gun from someone else.

It's really not that suspicious if you understand that things like this happen all the time to legitimate buyers simply for knowing of a gun.

What you are saying is misleading. She could have been looking and decided on this specific model prior to going to WalMart (on their site or something).

What I am seeing you say here is that she didn't know much about it so she can't have it. How are you going to know anything about it if you can't buy it? Therefore, she is instantly disabled from ever buying this type of gun... Not right and no offence but quite frankly this makes very little sense. Just because she didn't know how to hold it properly doesn't mean they can't take it in the desert/woods/wherever and set up some targets in front of a hill.

She was with her husband, which would look like she was under his direction (which she was).

Her husband could have easily cleared things up with the clerk since he was also there, by proving that he was eligible for gun ownership

And this, obviously she was under his direction as they stated that it was his idea, but that it was going to be with her. Also an ATF agent will be showing up to your house any time they please to check up on your purchase for inspection. If they guy didn't have a felony or mental diasbility, they should have just let the FBI get involved, it probably would have been a pain in the ass but maybe they would have cleared it up and allowed them to buy it anyways.

The reason she was denied is because she answered to quickly (makes no sense) or both the husband and her were there buying it together (also makes no sense but is kind of dumb of the buyers to do too). These things happen a lot and they instantly consider it a "straw purchase" for these two simple reasons.