Busted!

A new twist in my being busted. A friend of mine pointed out that the email to Cableone says I was d/l ing Jackass on the 26th. The movie was in my folders on the 26th but I didn't start using Bit Torrent till the 28th, so how was I downloading on the 26th. Hmmm, makes me wonder if they had me or someone else on Cableone mixed up. Kinda makes me think I got shut off for someones elses download. But at least I got my Cable back. Either way Bit is gone.

Cody

It seems to my that your spineless cable ISP was all to quick to act on the initial request from baytsp. I'd look around for a DSL provider that wasn't so quick to act as an agent of the RIAA.

just wondering......they can only do that in the US right? If i've read enough...the RIAA has no jurisdiction or whatver you wanna call it (power) outside the US?

or have u heard of any case that happened outside the US?

International copyright / intellectual property conventions have existed at least since the days of videotapes, and would generally be the responsibility of Interpol to enforce. They are technically recognized by most governments, I believe.

It is currently easiest for the RIAA to experiment with enforcement, etc., within the U.S. (rather than deal with foreign travel / courts / law enforcement, etc.), but they certainly do have enforcement power virtually globally at such time they may decide to start enforcing things for some reason, just as operations in other countries can enforce copyright within the U.S.

At least for the time being, the RIAA is most likely to get itself and various policies sorted out within the U.S. before it decides it's worthwhile to pursue things (with all their complications and diplomacy, etc.) in other countries, as much as they can indeed do so.

you know... if you can't download anything except demos and freeware then having Cable and DSL is pretty much pointless. 56K is enough for browsing:)LOL

It's quite common to receive such letters from your ISP now... It's more common place out in the Western U.S. than in the central states or Eastern states. I have several friends in California and Arizona that have been serviced actual documents and not electronic copies.

More than likely such an e-mail was legal, but to be quite honest, it's complete bull****... I would switch ISPs... why?? because what your ISP is doing is basically trying to scare you into submission so that the company which contacted them will not take any further legal action on the ISP. Switch to an ISP that clearly states in the contract that they will not divulge any personal material unless subpoened [sp].

My landlord got servered with actual papers re: downloading the Hulk on his ADSL line. This is in the UK. Now he wants to get rid of his ADSL line and connect up to my router and use my cable connection. I think not ;)

It is not entrapment because they are not offering the file for download.

Finally they can complain to any country under the ISP's local AUP and local laws; but if they were to take you to court they would have to do so in your country.

I'm so glad that we Dutch people don't have to worrie bout this... I even think it's illegal here for ISPs to give out private info, at least dutch ISPs were like protesting when the government ordered every ISP to track or store or whatever ever bit and byte you download in like THREE YEARS. They all thought it was absurd and it never happened.

Anyways, I think it's really stupid what them american companies do and such. What gives them the right to see what you're doing. Like you could think they can check out your creditcard numbers too and such. I'd just go paranoid and sue them.

(luckily our RIAA (Stichting BREIN) sucks at tracking stuff and they sued like, 1 person which got so many donations on his blog that he didn't even pay a cent, I think he actually made profit of it..)

I fell sorry for you guys... I couldn't live without warez :D I mean... come on which person is going to pay fux0ring 400 bucks or so to buy Photoshop... screw them, I go to some russian site and download it...

Have a friend at work who got caught downloading Johnny English using bit torrent. They informed his ISP and he was banned for 48 hours and had to fax an apology and agree to stick to their terms and conditions before is account was reactivated again.

okay you spelt it wrong but you made it seem as thought you copied and pasted it. Well whatever dude. Should teach you a lesson i guess.. be legal.. unless there is no other option :devil:

The RIAA isnt looking for downloaders near as much as they are looking for sharers. If you share files, then theres the problem. I just download stuff occasionally when im broke. I never share my files. If you dont share em, then I dont think they would care. Same thing with Bit Torrent im sure.

Correct me if im wrong,

Josh

Infringed Work: How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days

Infringing FileName:

How.to.Lose.a.Guy.in.10.Days.(DVDRip.DivX.Rus).KAMO.ShareReactor.ru.avi

Infringing FileSize: 734806016

Protocol: eDonkey

Infringers IP Address: 24.**.**.**

Infringer's User Name: None

Infringement Timestamp:

lol its bad enough that you got busted, its even worse that it was for leeching a russian rip.

I take it you were hoping for en;)ish ;)

Infringed Work: How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days

Infringing FileName:

How.to.Lose.a.Guy.in.10.Days.(DVDRip.DivX.Rus).KAMO.ShareReactor.ru.avi

Infringing FileSize: 734806016

Protocol: eDonkey

Infringers IP Address: 24.**.**.**

Infringer's User Name: None

Infringement Timestamp:

lol its bad enough that you got busted, its even worse that it was for leeching a russian rip.

I take it you were hoping for en;)ish ;)

What makes it worse then the fact that it's Russian, is the fact of the movie he was gett:ninja:ninja:

i didn't copy and paste. i had a print out. I just spelled it wrong. I was on my computer at work my home unit couldn't get online. No one said I c/p just someone ask if I did.

Cody

Strange, my cable company doesn't seem to care what its users do... My friends have used Cox for a while, downloading and sharing like mad (I mean... 24/7)... They've even went over the bandwidth limit many times... No warnings, no overusage charges -- nothing.

I'm still waiting for them to be thrown in jail, though :D

i agree, anyone whos anyone can see what your downloading, wether it's the warez server it's self, RIAA, your ISP, i woulnt even gamble it.
you are very very wrong. useing private trackers with encyrpted info hash's means that they cannot tell what you ared ownloading. they just see numbers flying around the net. there is on way of telling unless they are also downloading