Busted!

from the way I understand the law in the US, you can download with no legal consequences, but as soon as you share it, you are in legal trouble. It is a lot harder to find people downloading, because someone would have to be shareing the thing to start with and watch the queues and such. But, when you are shareing, they can just run a query and get a list of sharers.

Infringed Work: How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days

Infringing FileName:

How.to.Lose.a.Guy.in.10.Days.(DVDRip.DivX.Rus).KAMO.ShareReactor.ru.avi

Infringing FileSize: 734806016

Protocol: eDonkey

Infringers IP Address: 24.**.**.**

Infringer's User Name: None

Infringement Timestamp:

lol its bad enough that you got busted, its even worse that it was for leeching a russian rip.

I take it you were hoping for en;)ish ;)

What makes it worse then the fact that it's Russian, is the fact of the movie he was gett:ninja:ninja:

Haha, never even noticed that. I never watched it, but I recall checking out the movie for quality and I could have sworn it was in English. It's been awhile so i don't remember.

The RIAA isnt looking for downloaders near as much as they are looking for sharers.  If you share files, then theres the problem.  I just download stuff occasionally when im broke.  I never share my files.  If you dont share em, then I dont think they would care.  Same thing with Bit Torrent im sure.

Correct me if im wrong,

Josh

Yes, but if everybody stops sharing, the P2P networks will close.

• 1 month later...

I'm just wondering, couldnt the people hosting the trackers, employ a program such as peer-guardian to block the riaa,paramounts, etc. ip addresses? if they did this then they wouldnt be able to connect to the trackers and retrieve a list of the seeders. I have no idea how peer-guardian works sooo...i wanted to know if this is possible, and if any of them use it.

Strange, my cable company doesn't seem to care what its users do... My friends have used Cox for a while, downloading and sharing like mad (I mean... 24/7)... They've even went over the bandwidth limit many times... No warnings, no overusage charges -- nothing.

You/your friends were lucky. i use cox also, but I woke up to a nice copyright infringement letter after finishing downloading something in shareaza. as you know, it shares stuff automatically, and as i dont stay up all night, it began sharing and etc etc.. i dont think warner bros likes me anymore, especially since i was sharing a movie that wouldnt be out on dvd for a couple months. :p

if all they do is check filenames when they scan then whats stopping me from copying a few homemovies together to make the file size about the same as a regular movie putting some fake name on it like lets say "matrix reloaded.avi" and share it then wait to see if i get cought and they try to do something against me then i could sue their ass :rofl: or maybe that won't work :pinch:

if all they do is check filenames when they scan then whats stopping me from copying a few homemovies together to make the file size about the same as a regular movie putting some fake name on it like lets say "matrix reloaded.avi" and share it then wait to see if i get cought and they try to do something against me then i could sue their ass :rofl: or maybe that won't work :pinch:

beside filename they also collect hash of a file and it's size

and maybe they are downloading actual file to make sure that it is what they think it is...or maybe not since that would require alot of bandwidth and time.

I'm just wondering, couldnt the people hosting the trackers, employ a program such as peer-guardian to block the riaa,paramounts, etc. ip addresses? if they did this then they wouldnt be able to connect to the trackers and retrieve a list of the seeders.
do you really think that all those enteties are so stupid and are using their corporate ip address range? :rolleyes: