Neowin Digital Gallery - Yearly Edition 2013

crazzy88ss

There you go :p

Need to either convert my camera to IR or buy an already converted one, quality is not the best using a phone and a 3"x3" filter held to the lens

Simple tripod works, too. I had an IR filter... never really got into it. Was sure neat, though.

Detection

Simple tripod works, too. I had an IR filter... never really got into it. Was sure neat, though.

I think I'm going to invest in an entry level DSLR, found a couple for ?280, the NIKON D3100 looks fairly nice

Nashy

892842_10151815440034338_451640883_o.jpg

I don't have the EXIF data handy. I did a little bit of work in Lightroom.

Nikon D5100.

crazzy88ss

I wonder how many of us have the classic "train tracks fading into the DOF distance" shot? :)

Chasethebase

I think I'm going to invest in an entry level DSLR, found a couple for ?280, the NIKON D3100 looks fairly nice

For a little more (or a similar price) you can get yourself a 40D, jump in at the deep end and you'll have a better quality camera for when you get better. Also ensure that you give each camera a go, if you can find your local camera stores, go in and ask to try some of the cameras out, you'll get a feel for which you like and which you don't. In the end this is what made my decision between Canon and Nikon.

• Like 1
crazzy88ss

Being a longtime Nikon shooter and working for a company that shoots with every Canon product made in the last 10 years, here's what I've found:

1.) Canon has marginally better lenses (in terms of selection, quality and pricing).

2.) Nikon has marginally better bodies (in terms of performance/ease of use).

Because of this, I think Nikon's (marginally) easier to start with.

Similar to Canon's 40D, Nikon has: D5100 D5000 D7000 D90 D300 at various price ranges.

Bottom line: They both get the job done effectively, and you'll likely be happy either way. As Chase said, go play with them in the store if you're stuck.

Draconian Guppy

Being a longtime Nikon shooter and working for a company that shoots with every Canon product made in the last 10 years, here's what I've found:

1.) Canon has marginally better lenses (in terms of selection, quality and pricing).

2.) Nikon has marginally better bodies (in terms of performance/ease of use).

Because of this, I think Nikon's (marginally) easier to start with.

Similar to Canon's 40D, Nikon has: D5100 D5000 D7000 D90 D300 at various price ranges.

Bottom line: They both get the job done effectively, and you'll likely be happy either way. As Chase said, go play with them in the store if you're stuck.

While I haven't handled as much Canon bodies as much a you, every single model i've used feels "flimsy" and a bit "lesser" construction wise ( 7d, mark II, rebel, xt and xs).

Though on the lens selection, wouldn't nikon have more if you count old F mounts? ( Which do work, just won't autofocus on entry level bodies)? And Canon bodies EF will not mount on EF-S without an adapter?

crazzy88ss

The bodies seem to be built plenty strong to me. No high-tech equipment is designed to be dropped, though :p

For lens selection, I'm specifically referring to the current line up, but yea old lenses work too.

Nikon's F mount has been around for 50+ years, and Canon's EF mount has been around for over 25 years. I think 25 years is plenty sufficient time to build up a large selection of older lenses. It's very rare for people to use lenses more than 10 years old on mid to upper range bodies (which is what I listed) because the differences in quality will become too apparent. That is, unless you don't care about image quality at a technical level.

Sentron

What great pictures of cute and interesting animals, amazing job!

abysal

These were from the other week when I was in downtown Philly.

Canon 550d w/ Sigma 30mm f1.4

8608184122_68e1d548d1_c.jpg

8608184420_a5a0099baf_c.jpg

8607079957_21cd0a2d8a_c.jpg

8607080187_f23a97b873_c.jpg

8608185092_84c0b3f3a1_c.jpg

Draconian Guppy

Love the first one, really makes you "feel" you're right there!

Draconian Guppy

the "vespa" has oversharpening though

TAZMINATOR

The first photo... tell south street officials that they should add "park" to that... so it should display like this: South Park Street.

:-P

The second photo, next time you go to take picture like that, use a tripod because I noticed the car lights go wavy.

Good photos, though.

Draconian Guppy

The second photo, next time you go to take picture like that, use a tripod because I noticed the car lights go wavy.

Good photos, though.

Didn't notice teh wavy, you know what they say about wavy hands! :shifty:

Hole in the earth

8638284911_4c071e8081_z.jpg

Date Taken: 2013-04-10 17:14:33

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION

Camera Model: NIKON D600

Lens: 50.0 mm f/1.8

Focal Length: 50 mm

Mode: Aperture-priority AE

Aperture: f/1.8

Exposure Time: 0.001 sec (1/2000)

ISO: 640

Forgotten toy

8638284841_1c8a9b656c_z.jpg

Date Taken: 2013-04-10 17:07:45

Exposure Time: 1/4000 sec

ISO: 400

Phobos tongue

8638284751_27d2c6226d_z.jpg

Date Taken: 2013-04-10 17:03:54

ISO: 360

Happy Phobos

8639386714_55a50787e2_z.jpg

Date Taken: 2013-04-10 17:03:54

Rawr

8639386664_114023af41_z.jpg

Date Taken: 2013-04-10 17:03:35

ISO: 320

Dat ball!

8638284571_2d1d4c49bd_z.jpg

Date Taken: 2013-04-10 17:00:25

ISO: 400

Fun with nincompooch

8639386568_4b87ef4646_z.jpg

Date Taken: 2013-04-10 17:00:13

ISO: 160

Flying Puppeh

8639386498_72d8c09d49_z.jpg

Date Taken: 2013-04-10 17:00:13

ISO: 160

Mine mine Mine!

8638284393_f4649db3fa_z.jpg

Date Taken: 2013-04-10 16:59:27

ISO: 140

Finally mine

8639386384_625def0fb6_z.jpg

Date Taken: 2013-04-10 16:58:48

Dem crooked earz!

8639386314_ebe5f0b80d_z.jpg

Date Taken: 2013-04-10 16:58:34

ISO: 110

TAZMINATOR

^ Great photos.

abysal

The first photo... tell south street officials that they should add "park" to that... so it should display like this: South Park Street.

:-P

Good photos, though.

Yeah that was hand held and balanced on a friends shoulder for a longer exposure :p

Draconian Guppy

^ Great photos.

Thank you sir, but teh puppeh deserves all the credit! :p

crazzy88ss

whoa, when'd you get the D600 guppy?

I ORDERED MINE YESTERDAY! WOOT

Draconian Guppy

whoa, when'd you get the D600 guppy?

I ORDERED MINE YESTERDAY! WOOT

December sale/price reduction! Right about when you started coming back :p had to bite! free kit, free 64 sdhc sandisk extreme, crappy polarizer and field filters( ND and UV), el cheapo batteries and some other free crap it was more of had to :p Can't believe I waited this long to get FX !

So does this mean you're going to post more often as promised! :angry: Congradz and get posting! i'm too lazy to click on flickr :p

ccoltmanm

I'd like to see more original and post pictures. I love seeing how you guys work!

crazzy88ss

December sale/price reduction! Right about when you started coming back :p had to bite! free kit, free 64 sdhc sandisk extreme, crappy polarizer and field filters( ND and UV), el cheapo batteries and some other free crap it was more of had to :p Can't believe I waited this long to get FX !

So does this mean you're going to post more often as promised! :angry: Congradz and get posting! i'm too lazy to click on flickr :p

I'm posting more, but I never promised more pictures :p

I need free time to shoot... I'll try shooting more now that I'm getting back into microstock after a long hiatus.

I got it refurbed from B&H for $1599 + grip/extra battery/8gb SD card. Shipped all for under $1975.

Draconian Guppy

I'm posting more, but I never promised more pictures :p

I need free time to shoot... I'll try shooting more now that I'm getting back into microstock after a long hiatus.

I got it refurbed from B&H for $1599 + grip/extra battery/8gb SD card. Shipped all for under $1975.

Man! Sweet deal! The refurbs were at $100 less :/ when I got it, so there was no point in buying refurb :angry:

So you wanna play lawyer now huh? :angry:

Draconian Guppy

What's with the exif info on the photos? watermark ? :p

Pretty good, though i'm guessing anti-nikon fans won't like it :p

TAZMINATOR

EXIF info are pulled from the photo and placed it on the photo via variables... for example: ($d) for date, etc.. Easier for me... That way, I don't have to write them down and then write them on the post all over again.... so the EXIF are already on the photo... save time.