gog galaxy is downloading the patch (300mb) but instead of 30 seconds, it looks like it will take 5 minutes.

not too shabby, though, i can see the speeds jump from slow to medium to super slow :)

hopefully nothing messes up, and i have time to refresh on the important choices, as i don't have witcher 2 saves on this pc,

and i am betting there are completely different quests like they were in witcher 2, depending on your choices.

W3choices

apparently it unlocks in a half hour on the x1 o.O cmon already I'm dying here hahaha

ugh I think I gotta pass out so I can actually be awake enough to enjoy the game heh :)

Downloaded 304mb patch on Steam now. And I'm ready for the game!

Called in sick and pulling a all nighter for it.

edit: Unlocked earlier it seems.

UR5SthQ.png

Arnold,

If you miss work again tomorrow, I'm going to show Mr Griffin this forum post.  One more write-up and we both know what's going to happen...

• Like 1

well, on pc, it looks great and crap at the same time.     i put everything on high, and the trees and the grass are a JOKE.   really.    come on now.   it looks like a 5 year old game.  

or like a indie developer borrowing free assets!

other things look much better, and i like the atmosphere. and i will enjoy it.    but they took some serious downgrading....   not "polishing, or adapting" to make the trees and grass look SO BAD.

i did not want to believe it, but on my PC, other games look much better.     my only hope is modding or official EE version.       for now i will just bite the bullet and go on

(it REALLY seems that Witcher 2 EE that i played a year ago had much better looking nature and run better on same spec'ed PC  -     it really did...)

why does it run so bad on ultra, if it does not look great even on high, and ultra adds barely nothing.   

challenging the PC without any reason to?   

ok, rant over, back to game.    but those reports of downgrading were ######ing correct, as much as i did not want to believe them, or found excuses for the developers

if the actual gameplay was affected it would be a ###### storm.  graphics,  i can deal with it.   maybe play with my glasses off.  so it will all look the same :rofl:

• Like 1

After over three hours in game, the game just froze after my first visit to the inventory menu and I had to shut it down. No idea what was the cause and luckily, the saves weren't corrupted so didn't lose much. But good thing the game froze. Needed the break.

So far enjoying the game a lot and it doesn't look bad. Still disappointed that it could have looked better and it doesn't, though. Left fraps running taking screenshots every 45 seconds. Went thought them quickly to remove the bad ones (some tutorial screen and shop menu shots) and uploaded the rest: http://imgur.com/a/ED0UC

Back to the game now.

well, on pc, it looks great and crap at the same time.     i put everything on high, and the trees and the grass are a JOKE.   really.    come on now.   it looks like a 5 year old game.  

or like a indie developer borrowing free assets!

other things look much better, and i like the atmosphere. and i will enjoy it.    but they took some serious downgrading....   not "polishing, or adapting" to make the trees and grass look SO BAD.

i did not want to believe it, but on my PC, other games look much better.     my only hope is modding or official EE version.       for now i will just bite the bullet and go on

(it REALLY seems that Witcher 2 EE that i played a year ago had much better looking nature and run better on same spec'ed PC  -     it really did...)

why does it run so bad on ultra, if it does not look great even on high, and ultra adds barely nothing.   

challenging the PC without any reason to?   

ok, rant over, back to game.    but those reports of downgrading were ######ing correct, as much as i did not want to believe them, or found excuses for the developers

if the actual gameplay was affected it would be a ###### storm.  graphics,  i can deal with it.   maybe play with my glasses off.  so it will all look the same :rofl:

I feel like maybe you're being a little too nitpicky. From everything I've seen the game looks more than fine.

Maybe provide some screen shots of what you're talking about and these other games you're claiming look so much better?

After over three hours in game, the game just froze after my first visit to the inventory menu and I had to shut it down. No idea what was the cause and luckily, the saves weren't corrupted so didn't lose much. But good thing the game froze. Needed the break.

So far enjoying the game a lot and it doesn't look bad. Still disappointed that it could have look better and it doesn't, though. Left fraps running taking screenshots every 45 seconds. Went thought them quickly to remove the bad ones (some tutorial screen and shop menu shots) and uploaded the rest: http://imgur.com/a/ED0UC

Back to the game now.

i have i7 3770K, 16gb ram, SSD, gtx680.     i had to play on less then high.       and yes parts of it look great, and i mean great, but it is more about the visual design, not technical.

if the game looks the same and runs perfectly smooth, i should have being playing it on console.     however i sold both ps4 and xone. 

do you have a better PC, did you play witcher 2?     i am 2 hours in, and i still have the naggin feeling, that the controls on mouse and keyboard were better in witcher 2 too.   i guess it is because they made them good for controller.

(dragon age inqusitions had that problem, it was designed for controller, and so PC controls felt weird)    witcher 2 did not feel like that.    yeah, i had to learn a lot, but running around felt normal on k&m, but in W3 it feels weird.

and the reveiws says it is finally great on controller.     

why can't it be both? when you select the controller, why cannot it not adjust key bindings, but adjust the whole control scheme to better match you equipment?

Maybe provide some screen shots of what you're talking about and these other games you're claiming look so much better?

do you play on PC?       look at comparison videos posted before in this thread to see.   you will know what i am talking about.  they turned out to be true.

i am not going to go hurt for other screenshots, but if you played any recent AAA titles what have grass and trees in them, then just pick one, and compare how it looks.

back to the game now.   i keep getting distracted with stuff.  now there are massive fireworks in front of my windows! 

i have i7 3770K, 16gb ram, SSD, gtx680.     i had to play on less then high.       and yes parts of it look great, and i mean great, but it is more about the visual design, not technical.

if the game looks the same and runs perfectly smooth, i should have being playing it on console.     however i sold both ps4 and xone. 

do you have a better PC, did you play witcher 2?     i am 2 hours in, and i still have the naggin feeling, that the controls on mouse and keyboard were better in witcher 2 too.   i guess it is because they made them good for controller.

(dragon age inqusitions had that problem, it was designed for controller, and so PC controls felt weird)    witcher 2 did not feel like that.    yeah, i had to learn a lot, but running around felt normal on k&m, but in W3 it feels weird.

and the reveiws says it is finally great on controller.     

why can't it be both? when you select the controller, why cannot it not adjust key bindings, but adjust the whole control scheme to better match you equipment?

do you play on PC?       look at comparison videos posted before in this thread to see.   you will know what i am talking about.  they turned out to be true.

i am not going to go hurt for other screenshots, but if you played any recent AAA titles what have grass and trees in them, then just pick one, and compare how it looks.

back to the game now.   i keep getting distracted with stuff.  now there are massive fireworks in front of my windows! 

I don't have the game yet. I'm not getting it until there is a complete version.

I've seen the older game play trailers and I've watched the comparisons and I don't see how this game looks worse than a 5 year old game (your claim).

Well, it's nvidia crapwork bundle again. It's a terrible port especially for Nvidia GPU. :/  

A little bit of advise, stay away from Nvidia if you don't want to get screw or lie because they have gone too far. When will majority of people wake up and understand it's bad for consumer as a whole. 

I don't see how this game looks worse than a 5 year old game (your claim).

maybe i did not phrase it correctly.    the character models even on secondary NPCs look time.      Trees and grass looks bad.  Again, if you are a PC gamer, you should see it in screenshot posted all over the place.

as much as i hate using Crysis in an argument, Crysis 3 trees and grass looked so much better, it actually looked almost real, not plasic trees from a school kids project.
the game was out 2+ years ago and run smooth as butter on my rig at high settings. and that was before the dx patch.

it is not like cd projekt red does not have a money to make it better on PC. 

maybe i did not phrase it correctly.    the character models even on secondary NPCs look time.      Trees and grass looks bad.  Again, if you are a PC gamer, you should see it in screenshot posted all over the place.

as much as i hate using Crysis in an argument, Crysis 3 trees and grass looked so much better, it actually looked almost real, not plasic trees from a school kids project.
the game was out 2+ years ago and run smooth as butter on my rig at high settings. and that was before the dx patch.

it is not like cd projekt red does not have a money to make it better on PC. 

You've got an old GPU what do you expect from a high end game?

I'm not getting it until there is a complete version.

well then, you might have a much better experience then as they are likely to adjust for PC.

why are you doubting my claims then?  nothing better to do?    i am playing it now (due to my add i like to take a short break every 30 min) and i can see the truth in the videos posted before. 

you can crearly see the quality of grass and trees there.

but since you are not playing it (and keep ignoring others videos) you should not even have an opinion now!

You've got an old GPU what do you expect from a high end game?

to look high end?  not only on character models?

it does not look like it should even on ULTRA.    and, so far, there is no indications that your GPU will change that.

might run smooth and fast, but the looks are great on parts but terrible on others.

even though it was unplayable, i can totally see what it looks like on ULTRA.    and it still looks similar in the environment.  as pointed in the videos posted before!

FFS, what is you point?   i am not expecting miracles from 2 gen past top end card, but i expect more then this.    how is this even better then witcher 2?  ohh character models...!  at the cost of everything else?

Then get a high end modern GPU.

Look. ###### and moan all you want. Your GPU sucks. End of story. 

Then get a high end modern GPU.

Look. ###### and moan all you want. Your GPU sucks. End of story. 

thanks for that helpful comment.    did not realize that it sucked until you so kindly pointed it out, as my PC was top of the line before, and manages pretty well to this day.

but the GPU is not the biggest issue on PC.

the point i am making, was that i can play on top settings, (even though the frame per second will be unplayable, i can see that it looks like)

and environment still look crap.

if you are on PC and have a high end new GPU, and don't have an excuse to blame the old GPU...

post a screenshot when you are in a forest for me to see.   i will gladly be corrected!

but i bet the trees and grass will look just as bad.... since i now believe what i see in the comparison videos, having experienced it first hand.

also, if would be awesome if you can show me a video (because in motion this trees look much worse then in still pictures, since they are thin and spare in the branches)

where it looks great on a TOP OF THE LINE, CURRENT GPU.       but, until there are some mods, you cannot possibly find it, or make it yourself. because it still looks ###### on ultra on 980 gpu.

well then, you might have a much better experience then as they are likely to adjust for PC.

why are you doubting my claims then?  nothing better to do?    i am playing it now (due to my add i like to take a short break every 30 min) and i can see the truth in the videos posted before. 

you can crearly see the quality of grass and trees there.

but since you are not playing it (and keep ignoring others videos) you should not even have an opinion now!

it does not look like it should even on ULTRA.    and, so far, there is no indications that your GPU will change that.

might run smooth and fast, but the looks are great on parts but terrible on others.

even though it was unplayable, i can totally see what it looks like on ULTRA.    and it still looks similar in the environment.  as pointed in the videos posted before!

FFS, what is you point?   i am not expecting miracles from 2 gen past top end card, but i expect more then this.    how is this even better then witcher 2?  ohh character models...!  at the cost of everything else?

I doubt your claim because I can watch the videos too and see that it really doesn't look as bad as a 5 year old game.

I think perhaps that you may have expected too much and are also focused on things that are relatively unimportant.

Does the game look good? Yes.

Does it look as good as it could? No.

Is the game still good? Definitely yes (from what I've seen).

Does it matter that it doesn't look as good as it could? No.

It seems to me that you've come to the answer to your problems without realizing it. If they made the game look as good as it did in the earlier trailers then the performance would be much worse. And you're already complaining about the performance so... it's a no win situation.

Either they ratchet up the graphics and you bitch and moan about poor performance or they turn down the graphics (and still have an amazing looking game) and you bitch and moan about the game not looking as good as the trailers. Keep in mind that the earlier trailers all said they were alpha/beta state and did not represent the final game.

I think they went with the lesser or the two evils.

I doubt your claim because I can watch the videos too and see that it really doesn't look as bad as a 5 year old game. 

i explained already?     the trees and grass look like a five year old game.    not the whole game.  part of it look brilliant, parts crap.

It seems to me that you've come to the answer to your problems without realizing it. If they made the game look as good as it did in the earlier trailers then the performance impact would be much worse. And you're already complaining about the performance so... it's a no win situation.

so you are saying engine is worse?     or the parts that look better then witcher 2, they had to cut down on everything else?

i guess we will never know, until there is an enhanced edition, or some mods that will make it look better without making it run slower.

either way, the grass and tree look like shite.  which they should not.  but whatever.  i am droping it now.

so you are saying engine is worse?     or the parts that look better then witcher 2, they had to cut down on everything else?

i guess we will never know, until there is an enhanced edition, or some mods that will make it look better without making it run slower.

either way, the grass and tree look like shite.  which they should not.  but whatever.  i am droping it now.

No. I'm saying your expectations didn't meet reality. And that is your problem alone.

I had no expectations so it's impossible for me to be disappointed.

No. I'm saying your expectations didn't meet reality. And that is your problem alone.

how is that a problem, when it is advertised as such?

how is that a problem, when it is advertised as such?

it wasn't advertised as such. The footage in those trailers was all alpha/beta game play and thus subject to change.

it wasn't advertised as such. The footage in those trailers was all alpha/beta game play and thus subject to change.

hmm, but it did show a gameplay, and i bet is they focus on PC they would have delivered.   

and i bet some mods WILL deliver, without any much extra taxing on the GPU

anyway this talk is starting to remind me of

and-mcdonalds-angus-third-pounder.jpg

tastes like it, but surely don't look like it.

Honestly the game on ultra looks very good. Not necessarily better than other great looking games but it looks very good. On my computer there's definitely a difference between high and ultra for some settings. I'm not able to put everything at ultra but most of the important settings are at ultra and it's playable so far. Might have to tune it down later but for now it's okay. fps would not be great enough for an online shooter but for an rpg it's perfectly fine.

What is holding back the gfx is that atrocious AA. It's evil. It's the mother of all evil. It's definitely a post-processing AA and it should be in the post-processing effect options. Calling this AA is borderline a sin. Because of that some games having MSAA or SSAA are more pleasant for the eyes. I'll get used to it like i got used to that imitation of AA Blizzard introduced with the new WoW xpack but it wont make it looks better at all.

• Like 1

The grass needs more polygons. It is effectively just a few squares with transparency sticking from the ground so looking at it from the top makes it look bad.

I think I will play this by end of week.