Yep, downgrade for the lowest common denominator confirmed.

...did you even read the article? Your "PC master race" BS is unnecessary, and your over-simplification is flat-out wrong.

• Like 3

Did you?

"If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is," answers Marcin Iwinski, definitively. "We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world.

"Developing only for the PC: yes, probably we could get more [in terms of graphics] as there would be nothing else - they would be so focused, like if we would develop only on Xbox One or PlayStation 4. But then we cannot afford such a game."

"It was captured PC footage, not pre-rendered, Badowski confirms, but a lot had to change."

This is not PC Master Race BS, this is plain fact. They'll claim complex technical reasons behind it and that it runs optimized on consoles (LOLNO), but it is what it is.

VEtroKq.gif

IAzbpax.gif

I really hope we get the first one back with the enhanced edition. Doesn't matter if it kills my PC, it's a beautiful vision.

You going to fund some of the development costs?

You going to fund some of the development costs?

fund? the sales of the Witcher 3 should easily fund Witcher 3 EE.  And they will.

• Like 1

fund? the sales of the Witcher 3 should easily fund Witcher 3 EE.  And they will.

Let's hope so. It would be a waste of all those assets otherwise.

Did you?

"If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is," answers Marcin Iwinski, definitively. "We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world.

"Developing only for the PC: yes, probably we could get more [in terms of graphics] as there would be nothing else - they would be so focused, like if we would develop only on Xbox One or PlayStation 4. But then we cannot afford such a game."

"It was captured PC footage, not pre-rendered, Badowski confirms, but a lot had to change."

This is not PC Master Race BS, this is plain fact. They'll claim complex technical reasons behind it and that it runs optimized on consoles (LOLNO), but it is what it is.

The whole point of the article was that if it weren't for consoles, Wild Hunt wouldn't exist as it is today. I mean, the part you quoted literally says that. No one but CDPR knows the exact implications of applying their 2013 vertical slice to the entire game world they wanted to make. They even gave you examples of why they made the changes they did. Everything they said is completely plausible, especially if you work in software development. So you have no reason to doubt them, other than your "PC master race" crap.

If you want to go to extremes, yeah sure you could create a fully realized open-world game using their vertical slice as a 100% representation of gameplay, along with the "5000 doors" they talk about, and the additional NPCs, and mechanics they've added since it was revealed, AND have it perform well. But now you're talking about an extremely demanding game that could only be played using bleeding-edge PCs. (maybe) Does that sound like a good business plan for a company with finite money and time? (i.e. any company in the real world) There are way, way more factors at play when decided to make compromises than just "consoles are the lowest common denominator".

It isn't PC Master Race "crap", the visual difference is there and they admitted to it. There was no CG rendering in the VGX footage, it was running on PC systems.

Their choosing between 2 rendering systems and it ending up looking like this basically proves it all.

I bet you that it would have been funded within 24-48 hours by the PC community if that had been the case on a Kickstarter.

There are so many more PC gamers out there than on consoles, it's hypocrisy at its finest and they grew BECAUSE the PC community backed them in the first place.

And how sincere are they now? They've had ample opportunity to be honest with the community and those who had pre-ordered the game but chose not to do so.
First it was YouTube compression, then there wasn't any downgrading and now the cat's out of the bag they're suddently telling the truth?

People calling this The Witcher 3: Wild Dogs have every right to.

• Like 1

After looking at this controversy it's clear they downgraded the game to fit the consoles. I kind of disagree with them about if was consoles there would be no witcher 3.  Especially since witcher series started out on a PC.  But model they chose to fund the game led to out-come that happened. Its not bad game but it could have been better.  If you look at other games such as star citizen it started out as one thing and it is turning into something else.  It shows there ways to create a high fidelity experience for PC users.  

• Like 1

I wish I had a PC so I could act like I was better than everybody else. FML

It's vastly overrated.  You get the same games with absolutely horseshit optimization so unless you've got a $1200+ new PC your mileage will vary.

DX12 will change everything though.

It's vastly overrated.  You get the same games with absolutely horseshit optimization so unless you've got a $1200+ new PC your mileage will vary.

DX12 will change everything though.

It maybe vastly overrated but I want to act like I'm better than the rest of the world. That's all.

I have a laptop with an i7 vPro in it - will that do?

It maybe vastly overrated but I want to act like I'm better than the rest of the world. That's all.

I have a laptop with an i7 vPro in it - will that do?

Depends on the GPU in it :D

Carry on then.  Personally I have too much invested in PC to stay away from it, but I'm waiting for DX12 gaming to really get back into it.

I wish I had a PC so I could act like I was better than everybody else. FML

FYL!

but seriously, it is not about "better then everyone else"  and this is damn annoying that many people here are throwing "pc master race" comments.

it is about communication and trust. a traditionally "for pc" deleloper clearly created a console game port to pc, after showing the pc gamers what it could have being...

then denied that they did until release date, when it became plainly obvious. 

they went with this strategy, because there is more money that way.    but they lost a lot of goodwill with pc users.    they are promising lots of patches to improve it, and get back some of goodwill.

• Like 1

you mean acting like a bit of an arse? i don't think you need a gaming PC to do it :p you are managing just fine.

you mean acting like a bit of an arse? i don't think you need a gaming PC to do it [emoji14] you are managing just fine.

Why thank you [emoji3]

Oddly enough, in the history of my gaming (back to Pong), I have yet to see a single game look like the concept. I guess that is why I never am left disappointed. Every game is downgrade from its reveal. Not only that, know that hundreds of millions of consoles are being sold now along side computers, I have accepted the fact long ago that multiplatform games will always be impacted by the lowest common denominator. I also know that the goal of a business is to be as profitable as possible.

I'm not bothered by the drop in visual quality. I had a feeling about what they showed back in 2013. It looked too good to be true. And I had a feeling they'd be faced with a choice. Good graphics at the cost of content or lots of content (e.g. open world) at the cost of slightly worse graphics. I'd take the latter over the former any day and I love good graphics.

• Like 2

I'm not bothered by the drop in visual quality. I had a feeling about what they showed back in 2013. It looked too good to be true. And I had a feeling they'd be faced with a choice. Good graphics at the cost of content or lots of content (e.g. open world) at the cost of slightly worse graphics. I'd take the latter over the former any day and I love good graphics.

Me too. I honestly don't get the complaints. It's especially odd since some of the people making the complaints can't even run the game at max settings as it is now.

it is about communication and trust. a traditionally "for pc" deleloper clearly created a console game port to pc, after showing the pc gamers what it could have being...

considering Witcher 2 was dx9 and had a pretty horrible PC launch (especially for Steam users) I'm not sure that's entirely accurate.  They've had a pretty spotty history with PC overall IMO, aside from the first one not being on consoles afaik.

FYL!

but seriously, it is not about "better then everyone else"  and this is damn annoying that many people here are throwing "pc master race" comments.

then denied that they did until release date, when it became plainly obvious. 

they went with this strategy, because there is more money that way.    but they lost a lot of goodwill with pc users.    they are promising lots of patches to improve it, and get back some of goodwill.

Did you play The Witcher 2 when it first came out vs what it is now? Not only does it run better but they added so much content to the game for free.

Witcher 3 is optimised really well. Runs buttery smooth on my aging graphics card on High/Ultra. Can't wait to see how it looks at 1440p when I get around to buying a new GPU.

After looking at this controversy it's clear they downgraded the game to fit the consoles. I kind of disagree with them about if was consoles there would be no witcher 3.  Especially since witcher series started out on a PC.  But model they chose to fund the game led to out-come that happened. Its not bad game but it could have been better.  If you look at other games such as star citizen it started out as one thing and it is turning into something else.  It shows there ways to create a high fidelity experience for PC users.  

Star citizen is the exception to the rule so far and its not even released, lets put a pin in that one and come back when they ship a full product instead of taking peoples money for sporadic ships and in game features.

Did you play The Witcher 2 when it first came out vs what it is now? Not only does it run better but they added so much content to the game for free.

yeah, so, this is what i am expecting for them to do for witcher 3, and they better deliver.

what's your point?