It's easy to assume that but when you take a look at benchmarks, it paints a different picture. The GameWorks features are just that, features. They're going to run better on NVIDIA hardware because that's what it's designed for but improving performance isn't the goal. AMD has a slight advantage now because of the next-gen consoles. Games like Ryse: Son of Rome and Far Cry 4 perform better on AMD hardware (despite the latter featuring GameWorks effects).

I hope that stays for a while because it's the logic I used in building my latest system. I got the R9 270 despite previously being a nVidia fan specifically because it's similar to what the consoles are running. 

I forgot about 14nm/16nm GPUs. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I said it'd be awhile because AMD still hasn't released their new video cards yet and we don't know what NVIDIA will bring out aside from the GTX 980 Ti. I'm currently running 2x R9 280Xs in CrossFire and I plan on running those until AMD and NVIDIA release their next next-gen cards.

AMD is supposed to launch the first card with 3D memory this year. nVidia's Pascal architecture which is 14nm/16nm and also has 3D memory is due out next year. I went cheap on my new gaming PC's GPU with the R9 270 specifically because I just wanted something "good enough" to get me through until the sub 28nm chips come out.

28nm has been around since 2012 (nVidia GeForce 600 series and AMD Radeon HD 7000 series) and that's A LONG TIME for video cards, much longer than normal. My prior gaming box wasn't going to play Witcher though so I had to get something now and I'll just upgrade the GPU later... for Star Citizen. :)

Great game so far, only a few hours in.

The movement of Geralt is pretty crappy though. Coming off of Bloodborne/Dark Souls 2 it has a weird GTA4 style floaty feeling. Wish it was tighter.

The movement of Geralt is pretty crappy though. Coming off of Bloodborne/Dark Souls 2 is has a weird GTA4 style floaty feeling. Wish it was tighter.

It is even worse than W2. How did they screw that up is beyond me. The animations and input lag is really unbearable.

AMD is supposed to launch the first card with 3D memory this year. nVidia's Pascal architecture which is 14nm/16nm and also has 3D memory is due out next year. I went cheap on my new gaming PC's GPU with the R9 270 specifically because I just wanted something "good enough" to get me through until the sub 28nm chips come out.

28nm has been around since 2012 (nVidia GeForce 600 series and AMD Radeon HD 7000 series) and that's A LONG TIME for video cards, much longer than normal. My prior gaming box wasn't going to play Witcher though so I had to get something now and I'll just upgrade the GPU later... for Star Citizen.  :)

Yeah. I upgraded from a Core2Duo/HD 4870 rig in February 2014 so I couldn't wait any longer. I gave my R9 270X to my brother and upgraded to 2x R9 280X so that I could run most games at 1080p/60 maxed out. It'll hold me out until after the release of Star Citizen and by then, I might just get another rig and pass this one down to my other younger brother.

I can't wait to see what they release in 2016. NVIDIA's Pascal architecture sounds like it'll be quite a performer. I hope AMD counters it with something sooner rather than later.

Great game so far, only a few hours in.

The movement of Geralt is pretty crappy though. Coming off of Bloodborne/Dark Souls 2 it has a weird GTA4 style floaty feeling. Wish it was tighter.

I fought the ghouls at the start and it felt better to me than The Witcher 2. I haven't played Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 though so maybe my perception of "good combat" is biased.

No Cursing or Swear Words

We encourage you to use our communities as a forum to debate topics, but please use proper adjectives to express yourself. We do not tolerate circumvention of our word filter or abuse upon another member. As stated above, we are a forum for all ages and expect posts to be family / work friendly.

Getting tired of the disrespect this rule has around here. Swearing and self censoring is not tolerated on Neowin, including text, image and audio.

I've been lenient with everyone so far, but any more disregard for the rule and I will start warning and tightening on what is posted.

I fought the ghouls at the start and it felt better to me than The Witcher 2. I haven't played Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 though so maybe my perception of "good combat" is biased.

actually, the combat was weird in witcher 2, but it was because of the way it was setup.

here, it does feel preciseness.   and i am already 5-6 hours in. and i tried xone controller too just in case.

it is not terrible by any means, it is just a little off somehow....

I hope AMD counters it with something sooner rather than later.

The 390X is due in the next few months I believe.  Using HBM instead of GDDR5....theoretically it might be friggin amazing.

I'm pretty much finished with the first map.  It's kinda dull, but then I never expect much from the intro areas heh.

I haven't played Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 though so maybe my perception of "good combat" is biased.

I haven't played DS2, but this game is by far better than Bloodborne. Game content, controls and graphics. But this game really isn't graphically that impressive anyway. Maybe for an open world it looks good, but other games look better. But that isn't important. The game is epic fun and full of content with solid controls.

Yeah. I upgraded from a Core2Duo/HD 4870 rig in February 2014 so I couldn't wait any longer. I gave my R9 270X to my brother and upgraded to 2x R9 280X so that I could run most games at 1080p/60 maxed out. It'll hold me out until after the release of Star Citizen and by then, I might just get another rig and pass this one down to my other younger brother.

I can't wait to see what they release in 2016. NVIDIA's Pascal architecture sounds like it'll be quite a performer. I hope AMD counters it with something sooner rather than later.

Just to be clear I'm in no way facing the games off against each other, very different. Souls is an action RPG with light story. This is an all out story based RPG.

Souls lives by it's combat system. The combat is actually okay so far, it's the feeling of input lag whilst controlling Geralt that is hard to get used to coming off the two Souls games. They are razor sharp precise, this as I said feels like GTA 4 with its floatiness with movement and the camera.

Some tips from GAF, wish I had known about the map shortcut from the start!

PS4 version: slide up or down on the touch pad to open map. Click on touchpad to return to game without having to hit circle twice. Hold the touchpad down to access inventory.

• Like 1

I haven't seen any input lag on the X1 version so don't know what that's about.

Easiest way I can describe the feeling. Not saying its actually input lag as it's technically measured. I have come off of playing over 100 hours of Bloodborne, and about the same with Scholar of the first sin (Dark Souls 2). That doesn't help the perception. A day or two more of playing this and I'll have gotten used to it. Still think the camera and fluidity of movement could be better.

Save often and dont rely on autosaves. You can do a bunch if side quest, discover hidden areas, only to screw up and die and having to redo a lot of stuff.

Save often and dont rely on autosaves. You can do a bunch if side quest, discover hidden areas, only to screw up and die and having to redo a lot of stuff.

yea found this out the hard way lol 

• Like 1

yea found this out the hard way lol

I always forget and feel like a damn idiot. You get caught up in the game and forget to manually save. So thought I would send out a friendly reminder...haha

Autosaves seem fine if you're doing quests though, just not when exploring.

Exploring is the problem. I dont do all the side stuff, but a lot of it since I try to get the most out of the game I want. I also had to watch a few youtube vids to refresh me memory of Witcher 2. Been a while since I played.

The Xbox One version has Kinect support for casting spells and such, but I don't know if you can just tell it to SAVE or not? I could test that tonight. It really is too bad that they set aside the Kinect resources for this game instead of using those extra resources for improved performance or graphics. Not that it does look good as it is, but honestly Kinect is a waste IMO.

Anyone knows how the DLC installation works on galaxy? When i click on them it downloads 27MB but then nothing happen i have no feedback and i don't know if they are installed or not. They really need to work on that game extras page and add feedback to know what is installed or not.

Also anyone knows what the bonus pack is?

Sorry if I missed someone elses answer (didn't see an answer in a quick skim of newer messages) but in Galaxy to get Bonus Pack you just go to the games page in your library and click the "MORE" button/menu next to the "PLAY" button.

The first option should be "CONFIGURE", click that.

This is where you can select if you want it to auto-install patches as well as pick what language you want but below those is:

"AVAILABLE CONTENT".

In mine this shows the TEMERIAN ARMOR SET and BEARD AND HAIRSTYLE SET so I just check both boxes and it installs it.

Those are the first two DLCs that are part of the "Bonus Pack" (I believe there will be 16 total but only 2 are released right now)

Hope that helps.

Yeah you can find this armor at the merchant you saved from the griffin at the start of the game. He sells it, its not very cheap hehe

Good game, been playing since it's release, want to do all stuff (so far I failed in 1 quest, no idea why, it was a side quest and out of the blue it failed :/ )

Game looks, feels brilliant, plays brilliant.

Similar to Skyrim, with a game of thrones / violence feel to it.

It's a harder, far more complex control heavy game then most are use to.

Impressed that my rig, 16gb, geforce 660ti 2gb, running i7-2600 runs it as well as it does,

Tone of features turned off but still playable, and still looks great. Slightly better then X1. 

Love the paper  insert promising 16 free dlc (all platforms), as a thank you to the players.

So psyched about there next project Cyberpunk 2077, especially how Witcher 3 turned out.

Cyberpunk 2077, especially how Witcher 3 turned out.

i have to admit, this will be my personal gaming heaven if it can be as good as witcher.   i love me some cyberpunk...

but witcher is based on the books with good writing... what is Cyberpunk 2077 based on?   since the initial teaser, i have heard nothing about it.

i have to admit, this will be my personal gaming heaven if it can be as good as witcher.   i love me some cyberpunk...

but witcher is based on the books with good writing... what is Cyberpunk 2077 based on?   since the initial teaser, i have heard nothing about it.

I believe development was put on hold to focus on Witcher.  It probably won't be coming out for 2-3 years.

Cyberpunk 2077 is based off of the pen and paper RPG Cyberpunk (v2 was called Cyberpunk 2020, and Cyberpunk v3.0) developed by Mike Pondsmith.

Besides the game resources there are multiple novels set in that world and Mike Ponsmith himself is working with CD Projekt Red on 2077.

I can't speak for how good the Cyberpunk novels are having never read them but there is a fully fleshed out setting for them to draw from.

Personally I hope they don't pick an existing character to have you play like with the Witcher and instead let you make your own.

I believe development was put on hold to focus on Witcher.  It probably won't be coming out for 2-3 years.

Cyberpunk 2077 is based off of the pen and paper RPG Cyberpunk (v2 was called Cyberpunk 2020, and Cyberpunk v3.0) developed by Mike Pondsmith.

Besides the game resources there are multiple novels set in that world and Mike Ponsmith himself is working with CD Projekt Red on 2077.

I can't speak for how good the Cyberpunk novels are having never read them but there is a fully fleshed out setting for them to draw from.

this sounds really promising :)  

i mean, i am playing an, honestly not that good, game called Dex, which has tons of bugs, some are game breaking, just because it is cyperpunk ;)      

this sounds really promising :)  

i mean, i am playing an, honestly not that good, game called Dex, which has tons of bugs, some are game breaking, just because it is cyperpunk ;)      

Have you checked out Satellite Reign and Shadowrun Returns?

I backed both on Kickstarter because I love the genre as well.  Shadowrun is a bit weird with the addition of fantasy elements and has a cartoony art style but it's a fun game and Satellite Reign is more pure Cyberpunk, it's the spiritual successor to the Syndicate series.

• Like 1