So how much of the Witcher series typical "jank" is there? I've been trying (and failing) to keep up with the GAF thread on the game, and it seems like a lot of people aren't keen on the stiff animations and clunkiness of the controls.

Also, is the text font size really as bad on a TV as people are saying? Reading lore entries and beastiaries are an absolute must for me when playing an RPG. If I can't even read the text while sitting on my couch then that's an automatic skip for me, despite how much I want to play the game.

So how much of the Witcher series typical "jank" is there? I've been trying (and failing) to keep up with the GAF thread on the game, and it seems like a lot of people aren't keen on the stiff animations and clunkiness of the controls.

Also, is the text font size really as bad on a TV as people are saying? Reading lore entries and beastiaries are an absolute must for me when playing an RPG. If I can't even read the text while sitting on my couch then that's an automatic skip for me, despite how much I want to play the game.

There been a few times, I had to get a little closer to the screen to read, 43" Plasma, 720p. 

Have you checked out Satellite Reign and Shadowrun Returns?

I backed both on Kickstarter because I love the genre as well.  Shadowrun is a bit weird with the addition of fantasy elements and has a cartoony art style but it's a fun game and Satellite Reign is more pure Cyberpunk, it's the spiritual successor to the Syndicate series.

thanks, i will look into them

(if they have turn based combat, i will skip, because i don't like turn based RPGs at all)

Text can be a little bit small for sure. I'm getting more used to the controls as I thought I would.

By jank do you mean what we refer to as Euro RPGs lol? Like Gothic. Nowhere near on the scale of that, but it does keep some of the humour we love in such games.

I haven't had any issues with text size. I am running with a 60" LCD, Xbox One version running at 1080p up-scaled. I am doing it from my couch, about 5-6 feet in front of me is the TV screen.

Easiest way I can describe the feeling. Not saying its actually input lag as it's technically measured. I have come off of playing over 100 hours of Bloodborne, and about the same with Scholar of the first sin (Dark Souls 2). That doesn't help the perception. A day or two more of playing this and I'll have gotten used to it. Still think the camera and fluidity of movement could be better.

Yep. It may not be input lag, but it feels like the camera needs some time to start moving after which then the character needs some additional time to start moving.

The Xbox One version has Kinect support for casting spells and such, but I don't know if you can just tell it to SAVE or not? I could test that tonight. It really is too bad that they set aside the Kinect resources for this game instead of using those extra resources for improved performance or graphics. Not that it does look good as it is, but honestly Kinect is a waste IMO.

I would assume that Kinect takes about a day or two of development time, no more. Really, you are just mapping a successful voice pattern detection to an event handler, it would only be slightly more work compared to adding a second button for casting signs.

Like adding a shortcut for an UI button control. Not science fiction.

Yep. It may not be input lag, but it feels like the camera needs some time to start moving after which then the character needs some additional time to start moving.

I would assume that Kinect takes about a day or two of development time, no more. Really, you are just mapping a successful voice pattern detection to an event handler, it would only be slightly more work compared to adding a second button for casting signs.

Like adding a shortcut for an UI button control. Not science fiction.

Sorry, I was talking about the console resources, not labor resources. Here nor there, it is voice only, no skeletal commands, so they had freed up GPU resources anyway.

By jank do you mean what we refer to as Euro RPGs lol? Like Gothic. Nowhere near on the scale of that, but it does keep some of the humour we love in such games.

Yeah, I guess. Like combat and movement in The Witcher (1) was awful. It was a little better in 2, but still not great compared to other 3rd person games.

I haven't had any issues with text size. I am running with a 60" LCD, Xbox One version running at 1080p up-scaled. I am doing it from my couch, about 5-6 feet in front of me is the TV screen.

Hmm, that's very close to what my setup is like, maybe the text won't be too bad...

Hmm, that's very close to what my setup is like, maybe the text won't be too bad...

10ft away, it can be a bit small.  Wish it was a bigger font or font size.  I normally play at this distance and never had an issue with text size before.

I don't mind the combat as much this time, it's pretty smooth (though hard at first.)  Wasn't a huge fan of it in 1 or 2.

Still getting used to things.  Trying to level up.  I am level 3 and it seems a of the level recommendations for quests are 5, 7, or 10 right now.  So I have explored a lot of the first map and got those power up shrines that give you skill points.  They have helped so it does pay to explore.

10ft away, it can be a bit small.  Wish it was a bigger font or font size.  I normally play at this distance and never had an issue with text size before.

Still getting used to things.  Trying to level up.  I am level 3 and it seems a of the level recommendations for quests are 5, 7, or 10 right now.  So I have explored a lot of the first map and got those power up shrines that give you skill points.  They have helped so it does pay to explore.

Unless I haven't seen the text they are talking about? The smallest text I have seen are the notes on the bulletin boards, but I can read them fine. 

The HairWorks saga continues. This is hilarious especially since I don't see a way to block AMD users from using this without patching the game and that would bring a lot of backlash CDPR's way which hasn't really been criticised in the media for going with GameWorks.

Good article speaking with CDPR about the downgrade

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-19-cd-projekt-red-tackles-the-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

Highlights

• Consoles give them access to make a bigger better game, simple as that.
  • Game world and design changed between that (2013) trailer and final product that impacted what was going to work
  • Mention of Direct X 12 (makes me think a DX12 EE will happen)
  • They misjudged the storm that this would cause so they didn't get ahead of it. 
  • Big patch coming in next 5-7 days
  • ini file access for PC coming so they can change some of those more detailed settings
  • More pc changes planned they just need time.

It is true being on consoles will bring in a lot more money. The game will sell more on PS4 and Xbox combined than PC alone. So for all of those complaining about graphics, you may not have had a game on this scale and length if you'd had it your way (PC only).

I just bought it though Galaxy because ###### Steam.

Will be playing tomorrow.

"Sure." As believable as everything else that they've said so far to twist words and poo. As in, not at all.

Really?

Consoles have a higher RRP for a start. The game might do around say 5 million over both consoles? That's a huge chunk of money.

Like it or not putting the game on consoles will be massively lucrative. This will not have been a cheap game to make, and it's not as if the studio pump out yearly titles in order to fund the bigger projects.

It is true being on consoles will bring in a lot more money. The game will sell more on PS4 and Xbox combined than PC alone. So for all of those complaining about graphics, you may not have had a game on this scale and length if you'd had it your way (PC only).

So you think the console sales will exceed Steam sales of the game? It seems hard to believe since the PC market is so saturated, but I tend to think consoles will outsell the PC version as well.

Really?

Consoles have a higher RRP for a start. The game might do around say 5 million over both consoles? That's a huge chunk of money.

Like it or not putting the game on consoles will be massively lucrative. This will not have been a cheap game to make, and it's not as if the studio pump out yearly titles in order to fund the bigger projects.

No, no, I was referring to the part where he said something about the game not happening if it is not on consoles.

Good article speaking with CDPR about the downgrade

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-19-cd-projekt-red-tackles-the-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

Highlights

• Consoles give them access to make a bigger better game, simple as that.
  • Game world and design changed between that (2013) trailer and final product that impacted what was going to work
  • Mention of Direct X 12 (makes me think a DX12 EE will happen)
  • They misjudged the storm that this would cause so they didn't get ahead of it. 
  • Big patch coming in next 5-7 days
  • ini file access for PC coming so they can change some of those more detailed settings
  • More pc changes planned they just need time.

Sales wise yes, but the article is damning hard on the consoles technology wise and the performance analysis proves the same.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-witcher-3-wild-hunt-performance-analysis

Nowhere will I say it's a bad game, I didn't cancel it in the end and am currently enjoying it on my PC with everything maxed out.

So you think the console sales will exceed Steam sales of the game? It seems hard to believe since the PC market is so saturated, but I tend to think consoles will outsell the PC version as well.

With such a massive downgrade and the PC only folk being such an online centered affair I wouldn't be surprised, word got round fast. They'll wait for the enhanced edition will all those high end assets in place or mods.

Sales wise yes, but the article is damning hard on the consoles technology wise and the performance analysis proves the same.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-witcher-3-wild-hunt-performance-analysis

Nowhere will I say it's a bad game, I didn't cancel it in the end and am currently enjoying it on my PC with everything maxed out.

With such a massive downgrade and the PC only folk being such an online centered affair I wouldn't be surprised, word got round fast. They'll wait for the enhanced edition will all those high end assets in place or mods.

Can't argue with that.

• Like 1

I really hope we get the first one back with the enhanced edition. Doesn't matter if it kills my PC, it's a beautiful vision.

"If you're looking at the development process," Iwinski begins, "we do a certain build for a tradeshow and you pack it, it works, it looks amazing. And you are extremely far away from completing the game. Then you put it in the open-world, regardless of the platform, and it's like 'oh ######, it doesn't really work'.

There it is, from the horse's mouth.