- how does money work? I picked up a ton of orens and other types of money, but the only one I can use to pay for things is crowns? Is it worth even picking up the other types? How long until I can exchange it for useful money? (is there a use for the other types?)

Also, NPCs have a limit of how much money they have to give to you for items you sell.  You have to wait, or meditate, for 5 days in order for the NPCs to have more money.

I haven't been following the thread, but is anyone playing this on a PS4? How is the performance? How is the text on a TV while you're sitting at typical couch distance?

I confirmed with my brother that I will NOT be getting for my birthday this Saturday.  :pinch: So I think I'm going to stop at Target on my way home today and pick it up. :woot: ...if the PS4 version isn't sh--.

(I would totally get the PC version for obvious reasons, but I don't have a PC that can run it.)

edit: the game seems to have had several patches already and still seems to be spotty. Is it worth picking up yet, or should I just wait for more patches?

edit #2: I just noticed that Target is currently selling the game for $41.99. lol

I see you picked it up already but I am playing it on the PS4 and it seems fine and dandy. I did not start playing it until a few days ago, so I started after all the latest patches were released.

I like the game a lot, my only problem with it is there is too much to do. I know for many that is a selling point, unfortunately for myself these days it is somewhat of a detraction. I feel like I do not get a whole lot accomplished when I do play an hour here and an hour there.

Which leads me to my first question in the thread...

I have

to fight the Griffin

and I am only a Level 2. Should I do as the game suggested and take on some side quests first to get my level up? I also did a side quest,

the one where you look at a cart then realize the dude was guilty himself.

Basically I just started playing. I did win a hand of Gwent already though. :punk: Lost my first hand, won the second once I realized it was about conservation.

Larry, in regards to your level-up question, I would suggest investigating the question marks south of the first village. (around where the noon wraith's ruined village is) I don't know if you actually get experience for clearing them, but I found some good upgrades clearing out those particular ones. (I haven't gotten to the other "?"s in the zone yet)

I can't say with any certainty, but if you're pressed for time you could always do the main missions first and only do side-missions if you need the experience. From what I read, people that did most/all of the side missions became over leveled. To me, that makes it sound like if you stick to the main missions you should be leveled appropriately. Unfortunately, while that should help speed up your play through, I understand that a typical first run takes dozens of hours. Even CDPR's QA testers took 25 hours to do the whole game, knowing exactly where to go, what to do, AND skipping all of the dialogue....it's gonna be a long game.

I beat AB could get more specifics though.

With a game like this, I do a lot of the side quests and explore.  Helps to lvl up and to get money.  When you can, get a saddle for the horse that increases storage.  Costs a little but helps reduce trips to NPCs to sell.

I can't say with any certainty, but if you're pressed for time you could always do the main missions first and only do side-missions if you need the experience. From what I read, people that did most/all of the side missions became over leveled. To me, that makes it sound like if you stick to the main missions you should be leveled appropriately. U

I have done a lot of the side quests but am still only lvl 21. I  still have many quests that are in red that recommends up level 20s in order to complete.

I have

to fight the Griffin

and I am only a Level 2. Should I do as the game suggested and take on some side quests first to get my level up? I also did a side quest,

the one where you look at a cart then realize the dude was guilty himself.

not sure if you can handle the fight yet, but on medium difficulty i found it very easy.  

the guilty guy, if it is the cart, just keep the merchandise to yourself, you need it for a quest and you save a lot of time.   otherwise i would not care about it.

:laugh:

The thing I don't like (don't understand?) about Gwent is that the first round of every game always devolves into "keep playing cards until the NPC passes". Then you're left with little to no cards to continue playing and lose. I beat the professor NPC in the first inn that teaches you about the game, but only after several tries. I don't like the whole passing mechanic being required for a round to end. I feel like the only two options for the first round are "keep playing cards until you win the round" or "concede early and go to the next round". I just don't get it.

Maybe it's supposed to be hard at the beginning because you don't have any cards, but since it's a card game I feel like it should fairly even. But that's not the impression I got in my few games yesterday.

False. The first round is to bait as much from them as you can. Typically I play spy cards only in the first round. Once they win the first round they usually immediately pass in the second or only play 1 card.

From there it's really pretty easy. Granted this strategy can be hard to achieve until you've got some better cards in your deck. But the key point here is that you don't need to win the first round every time.

Basically your goal is efficiency.

Another tip is you don't necessarily need to have every single card you own in your deck. That waters it down and makes it hard to get the ones you really want. For example with the northern alliance starting deck you have a bunch of 1 strength cards that increase in strength when placed next to cards with the same name. These cards are pretty much trash and I removed them as soon as I could and still be above the card cap of 22. 

But don't misunderstand me. Later you'll get some similar cards that have 4 and 5 strength and those ones can be god tier with the war horn. Being able to get them up past 30+ strength.

Also depending on the strategy the person you're playing against is using you don't need to keep a weather card of every type in your deck, too. I'm a bit further into the game and I don't use any weather cards at all, in fact. I prefer scorch, training dummy, and war horn for my special cards.

Which brings up another point. Training dummy is good to use to bait cards from the enemy. Very important especially when spy cards are being used on you.

finally got to meet yennefer, and now i got the key to her place.

the description says:

yennefer's key

common item

donno, but i found it funny

i guess yennefer's being around while i was away

good thing i picked triss anyhow :shifty:

finally got to meet yennefer, and now i got the key to her place.

the description says:

yennefer's key

common item

donno, but i found it funny

i guess yennefer's being around while i was away

good thing i picked triss anyhow :shifty:

Yea, I picked Triss to.  She seemed to actually care about Geralt and did a lot to help him...and suffered doing so.  Yen just seemed to not are to much and is cold.  Of course, have not finished the game yet so shall see how Yen acts later on.

I chose Triss because I liked her from the previous 2 games. And Yennefer never bothered to try finding Geralt even though she knew he was still alive and had amnesia. And Yennefer just seems bitchy to me.

Slight spoilers there for those who haven't played the first 2 games.  :huh:

Maybe I would feel different if I had read the books. Who knows.

• Like 2

Found a neat little graphics tweak. It turns off the blur while using your witcher senses which I hate.

Go to where you have your game installed and then the \bin\config\base folder. You're looking for the gameplay.ini file. Edit it with your favorite text editor.

You want to change:

MotionSicknessFocusMode=false

to

MotionSicknessFocusMode=true

Funny that they gave that setting such a name. Sorry to the console players who can't do this.
  • Like 1

False. The first round is to bait as much from them as you can. Typically I play spy cards only in the first round. Once they win the first round they usually immediately pass in the second or only play 1 card.

From there it's really pretty easy. Granted this strategy can be hard to achieve until you've got some better cards in your deck. But the key point here is that you don't need to win the first round every time.

Basically your goal is efficiency.

Another tip is you don't necessarily need to have every single card you own in your deck. That waters it down and makes it hard to get the ones you really want. For example with the northern alliance starting deck you have a bunch of 1 strength cards that increase in strength when placed next to cards with the same name. These cards are pretty much trash and I removed them as soon as I could and still be above the card cap of 22. 

But don't misunderstand me. Later you'll get some similar cards that have 4 and 5 strength and those ones can be god tier with the war horn. Being able to get them up past 30+ strength.

Also depending on the strategy the person you're playing against is using you don't need to keep a weather card of every type in your deck, too. I'm a bit further into the game and I don't use any weather cards at all, in fact. I prefer scorch, training dummy, and war horn for my special cards.

Which brings up another point. Training dummy is good to use to bait cards from the enemy. Very important especially when spy cards are being used on you.

Thanks. I'll keep your suggestions in mind next time I play.

I switched off the music completely after about 10-15 hours,  and since then i have being enjoying the experience and the atmosphere much more. 

only cutscenes benefit from music in my opinion, but i did not switch it on even then (forgot)

Really works well, as music can be distracting, and could really not be so intense all the time.

Just the tip someone advised that worked really well for me.

I usually just tune the music and sound effects to 50% while keeping voice at 100%. It allows you to hear them, but they don't drown out dialogue.

The music in this game is really great, so I don't think I'll be turning it off completely.

• Like 1

I usually just tune the music and sound effects to 50% while keeping voice at 100%. It allows you to hear them, but they don't drown out dialogue.

The music in this game is really great, so I don't think I'll be turning it off completely.

you know what, after i posted, i decided to check it up myself again to make sure, and the music in the islands is much better.  i usually do 50% too.  but it did not help in early areas of witcher.

i will pay more attention and switch it off when i don't like it, and on again when i move to new area / event.

still, the game is pretty awesome without it too.  riding the horse to a monster den or any other quest seems really real at sufficient volume

Are we not supposed to get bombs for a long time at the beginning? I found a few monster nests, but I can't destroy them because I don't have any bombs. And I can't craft any because I don't have some of the mats, like calcium equim, despite me harvesting literally every node I find.

Are we not supposed to get bombs for a long time at the beginning? I found a few monster nests, but I can't destroy them because I don't have any bombs. And I can't craft any because I don't have some of the mats, like calcium equim, despite me harvesting literally every node I find.

Alchemists sell some basic materials, and only them. Once you've crafted a bomb the first time you never need to do it again. Bombs replenish with meditation, not crafting them again. Same goes for potions. All you need mats for next is the upgrade stages for each bomb/potion (enhanced stronger versions). Then again with them it's the same, craft once, have forever.

Another tip, some general merchants and most blacksmiths/armoursmiths sell a capacity upgrade of +70, which gets put on your horse. Really recommend getting one asap. If only they sold an IQ upgrade for Roach, as he's dumb as bricks.

Thanks. I bought the +30 saddlebags from the dwarven blacksmith in the first village last night. I haven't met an alchemist yet, though I haven't gone to any other major villages yet. I got Vesemir and Geralt to the inn, got the next objective for the Yennifer quest, then immediately started doing side-quests and clearing ?s. Maybe I should go to the next village or two and find an alchemist before doing any more exploring....but it's so hard to stop.

Thanks. I bought the +30 saddlebags from the dwarven blacksmith in the first village last night. I haven't met an alchemist yet, though I haven't gone to any other major villages yet. I got Vesemir and Geralt to the inn, got the next objective for the Yennifer quest, then immediately started doing side-quests and clearing ?s. Maybe I should go to the next village or two and find an alchemist before doing any more exploring....but it's so hard to stop.

There's an alchemist in the first village, but I think a quest might unlock them.

There's an alchemist in the first village, but I think a quest might unlock them.

Do more side-quests open up after finishing the initial ones? I think I finished all of the side-quests I got from the notice board.  :pinch:

Though I did find the Viper school treasure quest last night, that was pretty cool. 

Found a neat little graphics tweak. It turns off the blur while using your witcher senses which I hate.

Go to where you have your game installed and then the \bin\config\base folder. You're looking for the gameplay.ini file. Edit it with your favorite text editor.

You want to change:

MotionSicknessFocusMode=false

to

MotionSicknessFocusMode=true

Funny that they gave that setting such a name. Sorry to the console players who can't do this.

cool, worked without even quitting the game

did you try ColorblindFocusMode?   i did, and i see no difference.

Another tip, some general merchants and most blacksmiths/armoursmiths sell a capacity upgrade of +70, which gets put on your horse. Really recommend getting one asap. If only they sold an IQ upgrade for Roach, as he's dumb as bricks.

Some merchants have a +100 capacity as well.  Think that is the max.

http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/increase-inventory-space-with-saddlebags/

http://thewitcher3.wiki.fextralife.com/Saddlebags