I chose for my Witcher to burn both Yen and Triss, them women dumping Geralt at the end.

Are there any chances even if you chose differently , to meet them again after you completed the main story line? Kaer Morhen.. Novigrad? Anywhere?

It's sold 4 million in 2 weeks. A breakdown would be interesting but I'll go back to the earlier points made that like it or not, the console versions will have helped greatly financially.

I don't see how people can be completing their 2nd or 3rd play through already.  I doubt they are listening to the dialog or doing a lot of the quests if they are.  I have just gotten to Skellig after doing all the quests I could in Velen/Novigrad/White Orchard and discovering most of the locations.

I think lots rush through games like this.  I like to take my time and enjoy it.

Few things I dont like....

To much crafting components.  I find myself salvaging/selling a lot.  Gets annoying and even tho crafting material does not take up that much storage space, when you have a ton of it it adds up quickly.  Get storage saddles if you can early on.  There are even ones that expand the weight you can store by 100.

Still do not like the damn horse.  Appears to have a mind of its own.

Still have a treasure hunt quest from White Orchard I cannot complete since it is glitched.  Says read a book but I have nothing to read.

Gwent...hate it.  Getting used to it but still, do not like it.  Had to run around to a crap ton of NPCs to get cards in order to win a few rounds.  Then some NPCs are ridiculous in the cards they get.  May get easier once I figure things out some more.

Quest levels are silly.  Velen quests that require, or recommend, level 28 when you are at level 19. Quest level are in red so they are diff to beat. 

I haven't been following the thread, but is anyone playing this on a PS4? How is the performance? How is the text on a TV while you're sitting at typical couch distance?

I confirmed with my brother that I will NOT be getting for my birthday this Saturday.  :pinch: So I think I'm going to stop at Target on my way home today and pick it up. :woot: ...if the PS4 version isn't sh--.

(I would totally get the PC version for obvious reasons, but I don't have a PC that can run it.)

edit: the game seems to have had several patches already and still seems to be spotty. Is it worth picking up yet, or should I just wait for more patches?

edit #2: I just noticed that Target is currently selling the game for $41.99. lol

edit: the game seems to have had several patches already and still seems to be spotty. Is it worth picking up yet, or should I just wait for more patches?

I haven't had any perf problems on X1 so I can't imagine PS4 is much worse.

I haven't had any perf problems on X1 so I can't imagine PS4 is much worse.

Good to know. I have a One as well, so if the PS4 is especially bad I may pick it up for the One instead.

I think I'm going to pick up the game regardless of the answers to my questions above. (though I'd still like to know the answers if anyone can comment on them) For $41, you can't go wrong with what is quite obviously a great game with lots of content. CDPR has been pretty good about patches so far, so I would imagine/hope that any remaining performance issues or graphical glitches will be fixed in due time.

I haven't been following the thread, but is anyone playing this on a PS4? How is the performance? How is the text on a TV while you're sitting at typical couch distance?

I confirmed with my brother that I will NOT be getting for my birthday this Saturday.  :pinch: So I think I'm going to stop at Target on my way home today and pick it up. :woot: ...if the PS4 version isn't sh--.

(I would totally get the PC version for obvious reasons, but I don't have a PC that can run it.)

edit #2: I just noticed that Target is currently selling the game for $41.99. lol

The recent patch increase text size on consoles. PS4 has some strange issues in some cutscenes with FPS, but outside of that it is fine. Nowhere near the realm of being classed as s__t.

I'm almost finished now, really sad :( Absolutely amazing game. Have no idea how people do 2 playthroughs so quickly. Outside of some JRPGs I think it's the longest game I've played in a long time.

I don't see how people can be completing their 2nd or 3rd play through already.  I doubt they are listening to the dialog or doing a lot of the quests if they are.  I have just gotten to Skellig after doing all the quests I could in Velen/Novigrad/White Orchard and discovering most of the locations.

I think lots rush through games like this.  I like to take my time and enjoy it.

Few things I dont like....

To much crafting components.  I find myself salvaging/selling a lot.  Gets annoying and even tho crafting material does not take up that much storage space, when you have a ton of it it adds up quickly.  Get storage saddles if you can early on.  There are even ones that expand the weight you can store by 100.

Still do not like the damn horse.  Appears to have a mind of its own.

Still have a treasure hunt quest from White Orchard I cannot complete since it is glitched.  Says read a book but I have nothing to read.

Gwent...hate it.  Getting used to it but still, do not like it.  Had to run around to a crap ton of NPCs to get cards in order to win a few rounds.  Then some NPCs are ridiculous in the cards they get.  May get easier once I figure things out some more.

Quest levels are silly.  Velen quests that require, or recommend, level 28 when you are at level 19. Quest level are in red so they are diff to beat. 

Some people don't go after everything on purpose. So every new play through they have new things to do and see. That's what I've learned. It seems strange to me but who I am to judge.

As for Gwent. It's really easy once you get spy cards. Having 2 or 3 spy cards in the first round can give you a huge card advantage.

Speaking of GWENT,

Notice a complete lack of dice pocker in the W3 world. I feel somewhat sad about that - granted I hate dice poker.

Also, 50 hours in still did not find the lion cub. Game is huge and not boring huge but fun huge.

So I did pick up this game on my way home yesterday, for $41 at Target. And it is really great. The one thing that kept me from playing the first two games in the series for longer than an hour or two, the combat, is finally good in this one. So I will most definitely try to see it through to the end. There are still some things I don't like about the combat, but it is much more fluid and entertaining this time around.

The story, the voice acting, and the quests are really, really awesome so far. I played a good 3 or 4 hours last night, which is something I almost never do during the week due to work hours, girlfriend, chores, etc. Before I knew it, it was one in the morning! Even then, I had to force myself to stop.

Exploring all of the "?" around White Orchard is rewarding and fun, because each one was something a bit different. (so far) Bandit camps, places of power, smuggler's caches, shipwrecks guarded by monsters; it was just plain fun clearing the map.

I also did the "Devil in the Well" quest, which is one I saw in pre-release videos; specifically the Angry Joe demo playthrough at the CDPR press event. So I kind of knew how the fight would go, but that didn't take away from the fight at all. I really love how CDPR took a page out of Arkham Origins' playbook with the detective-mode, clue-finding mechanics. It made it truly feel like you're an actual monster hunter. I read the beastiary entry for noon wraiths, despite knowing how the end battle would go, and I really love how the it clearly marks weaknesses of monsters and possible strategies in fighting them. Overall, that side quest was so much better than even some main quests from other games. So satisfying already. Please, please tell me other side quests are just as good.

Geralt doesn't react immediately when I try to dodge or roll in combat, which caused me to get hit (and die) more than I'm used to for such a game. It probably happened because I'm used to Bloodborne's animation cancelling and/or Wild Hunt's combat is deliberately slower to get a more "tactical" feel. Whatever the reason, I'm hoping I get used to it, because it was super frustrating.

Another thing that frustrated me was trying to cast signs in combat and not realizing my stamina hadn't recharged yet. I didn't notice if there was an indicator/noise that lets you know it's ready, but I got hit/died a lot because I would go to cast a sign and nothing would happen. I also don't like having to do: hold L1, select Quen, release L1, press R2, hold L1, select igni/aard, release L1, continue fighting in every fight. (usually multiple times because Quen only seems to absorb one hit) It really kills the flow. I wish there was an easier way to cast multiple signs in combat.

And holy crap does this game not bode well for my self-diagnosed OCD. I have an urge to harvest every plant I see, loot anything and everything, and clear every question mark. I don't know if I'll ever finish this game.

Also, Gwent is awful.

So I did pick up this game on my way home yesterday, for $41 at Target. And it is really great. The one thing that kept me from playing the first two games in the series for longer than an hour or two, the combat, is finally good in this one. So I will most definitely try to see it through to the end. There are still some things I don't like about the combat, but it is much more fluid and entertaining this time around.

The story, the voice acting, and the quests are really, really awesome so far. I played a good 3 or 4 hours last night, which is something I almost never do during the week due to work hours, girlfriend, chores, etc. Before I knew it, it was one in the morning! Even then, I had to force myself to stop.

Exploring all of the "?" around White Orchard is rewarding and fun, because each one was something a bit different. (so far) Bandit camps, places of power, smuggler's caches, shipwrecks guarded by monsters; it was just plain fun clearing the map.

I also did the "Devil in the Well" quest, which is one I saw in pre-release videos; specifically the Angry Joe demo playthrough at the CDPR press event. So I kind of knew how the fight would go, but that didn't take away from the fight at all. I really love how CDPR took a page out of Arkham Origins' playbook with the detective-mode, clue-finding mechanics. It made it truly feel like you're an actual monster hunter. I read the beastiary entry for noon wraiths, despite knowing how the end battle would go, and I really love how the it clearly marks weaknesses of monsters and possible strategies in fighting them. Overall, that side quest was so much better than even some main quests from other games. So satisfying already. Please, please tell me other side quests are just as good.

Geralt doesn't react immediately when I try to dodge or roll in combat, which caused me to get hit (and die) more than I'm used to for such a game. It probably happened because I'm used to Bloodborne's animation cancelling and/or Wild Hunt's combat is deliberately slower to get a more "tactical" feel. Whatever the reason, I'm hoping I get used to it, because it was super frustrating.

Another thing that frustrated me was trying to cast signs in combat and not realizing my stamina hadn't recharged yet. I didn't notice if there was an indicator/noise that lets you know it's ready, but I got hit/died a lot because I would go to cast a sign and nothing would happen. I also don't like having to do: hold L1, select Quen, release L1, press R2, hold L1, select igni/aard, release L1, continue fighting in every fight. (usually multiple times because Quen only seems to absorb one hit) It really kills the flow. I wish there was an easier way to cast multiple signs in combat.

And holy crap does this game not bode well for my self-diagnosed OCD. I have an urge to harvest every plant I see, loot anything and everything, and clear every question mark. I don't know if I'll ever finish this game.

Also, Gwent is awful.

Away with you! Gwent <3 Although by end game when you have a load of hero cards you're unstoppable.

Yeah my OCD gave up, almost finished the game and there's a boat load of ? marks. I mostly just hunted down the craftable witcher armor.

Theres some amazing side quests, on a tier that beats even main quests from other games. The bloody baron quest line is great, and interweaves with another in the bog with the witches. Who are disgustingly beautifully done.

well don't start the quests that are more then 5 levels above you.  they're there for their :D info, for you to be aware of them

i did complete a couple quest that are 5 levels above, but i am not playing on hard, and it took me 5 lengthy attempt before i finally got the strategy down and was able to survive the encounter.

also, it is almost pointless to do side quests that are more the 5 level below you, as you get no reward, and i only do them if the story sounds interesting. 

in general it is good idea to stick withing this range and don't leave the quest to go 5 levels lower.  hold on to the story and do side quest now, rather then later, if you want to do them at all.

ohh and Gwent...  i hate it to, so i am not wasting time on it at all.   unless you are a competitionist and collect achievements, i see no point to play it, unless you find it fun (some people love it)

well don't start the quests that are more then 5 levels above you.  they're there for their :D info, for you to be aware of them

i did complete a couple quest that are 5 levels above, but i am not playing on hard, and it took me 5 lengthy attempt before i finally got the strategy down and was able to survive the encounter.

also, it is almost pointless to do side quests that are more the 5 level below you, as you get no reward, and i only do them if the story sounds interesting. 

in general it is good idea to stick withing this range and don't leave the quest to go 5 levels lower.  hold on to the story and do side quest now, rather then later, if you want to do them at all.

ohh and Gwent...  i hate it to, so i am not wasting time on it at all.   unless you are a competitionist and collect achievements, i see no point to play it, unless you find it fun (some people love it)

I don't do quests that are marked RED and to high a level for me.  I dont care if the quests are lower than my level.  I Just dont like seeing a bunch of extra quests in my list and most take a few min to complete.

Gwent is easier if you go around to the various shops and collect/buy the cards before you start playing the NPCs.  But I still dont like it.

is there a NPC to actually play your first game of gwent with thats a easy win? I put it off for ages, and have a quest where i gotta win cards after getting some info from the Baron, but the guy by the boat demoilshes me every time. 

is there a NPC to actually play your first game of gwent with thats a easy win? I put it off for ages, and have a quest where i gotta win cards after getting some info from the Baron, but the guy by the boat demoilshes me every time.

Nearly every general merchant sells cards for your deck and can be played against to win a card. They usually have fairly low level decks.

Away with you! Gwent <3 Although by end game when you have a load of hero cards you're unstoppable.

:laugh:

The thing I don't like (don't understand?) about Gwent is that the first round of every game always devolves into "keep playing cards until the NPC passes". Then you're left with little to no cards to continue playing and lose. I beat the professor NPC in the first inn that teaches you about the game, but only after several tries. I don't like the whole passing mechanic being required for a round to end. I feel like the only two options for the first round are "keep playing cards until you win the round" or "concede early and go to the next round". I just don't get it.

Maybe it's supposed to be hard at the beginning because you don't have any cards, but since it's a card game I feel like it should fairly even. But that's not the impression I got in my few games yesterday.

I think this post from reddit, bet sums up how awesome gwent is:

Honestly when I compare witcher 3 to its competitors. (Magic the gathering. Hearthstone. Yu-Gi-Oh.) I can see why it's so successful. On top of the base card game. They added an entire rpg to play in between matches of gwent.
  • Like 2

:laugh:

The thing I don't like (don't understand?) about Gwent is that the first round of every game always devolves into "keep playing cards until the NPC passes". Then you're left with little to no cards to continue playing and lose. I beat the professor NPC in the first inn that teaches you about the game, but only after several tries. I don't like the whole passing mechanic being required for a round to end. I feel like the only two options for the first round are "keep playing cards until you win the round" or "concede early and go to the next round". I just don't get it.

Maybe it's supposed to be hard at the beginning because you don't have any cards, but since it's a card game I feel like it should fairly even. But that's not the impression I got in my few games yesterday.

As your deck grows the first round can turn into trying to bait your opponent to play their best cards while you throw down crappy ones and then pass yourself. Mop them up round 2/3. Sometimes it's just best to fold a round.

Never go all in on round 1. Also weather cards are a bit meh, don't have multiples in your playing hand.

So, I'm sitting here at work, daydreaming about the game and I figured I would ask a few questions.

- How does the notice board papers work? When I was playing last night, the first notice you find in White Orchard had "Devil in the Well", "Missing in Action" (?), and I think one other quest, but also several other notes. I would read these "other" notes, take the paper off the wall, and then I couldn't find them in my inventory anywhere. I also didn't see anything new in my quest log. Are they just fluff (world-building, immersion stuff) or was it a glitch? If they are just there for ambiance, is there a way to tell the quest-papers from the ambient ones? They're fun to read, but with so many things to do in this game, I feel like reading every last notice board paper will take a ton of time.

- How does potoin crafting work exactly? I made Swallow, Tawny Owl, and the Necrophage (spelling?) oil last night, but once I made them the crafting menu said "You already have this item" underneath them. Does this mean I never have to spend mats to make then again? I know that the equipped ones refill automatically when you mediate, as long as you have extra alcohol on you. Do oils auto-refill? Do the same mats needed to make the potion the first time get consumed along with the alcohol? If so, is it inefficient to mediate before using every use of the potions you currently have? Or does the materials requirement adjust based on the number of uses you need to restore?

- I noticed the few merchants I've run across so far (the woman at the first inn, the guy you rescued from the griffin, the dwarven blacksmith) all offer different prices for the same items in your inventory. Should I bother trying to sell items and just dismantle everything? I'm short on money, so I can't disenchant a ton of stuff, and money is hard to come by but I also don't want to sell items to a vendor for cheap because I feel like there is another vendor just around the corner that might give a better price. Does that make sense?

- how does money work? I picked up a ton of orens and other types of money, but the only one I can use to pay for things is crowns? Is it worth even picking up the other types? How long until I can exchange it for useful money? (is there a use for the other types?)

So, I'm sitting here at work, daydreaming about the game and I figured I would ask a few questions.

- How does the notice board papers work? When I was playing last night, the first notice you find in White Orchard had "Devil in the Well", "Missing in Action" (?), and I think one other quest, but also several other notes. I would read these "other" notes, take the paper off the wall, and then I couldn't find them in my inventory anywhere. I also didn't see anything new in my quest log. Are they just fluff (world-building, immersion stuff) or was it a glitch? If they are just there for ambiance, is there a way to tell the quest-papers from the ambient ones? They're fun to read, but with so many things to do in this game, I feel like reading every last notice board paper will take a ton of time.

Notice boards, when read, add them as quests. Not a readable item. Notes picked up that you must read to start a quest is in the Quest Items section in the inventory.  If items are not in the quest inventory section, then you can safely sell them and they are not important to the story/quest line.

- How does potoin crafting work exactly? I made Swallow, Tawny Owl, and the Necrophage (spelling?) oil last night, but once I made them the crafting menu said "You already have this item" underneath them. Does this mean I never have to spend mats to make then again? I know that the equipped ones refill automatically when you mediate, as long as you have extra alcohol on you. Do oils auto-refill? Do the same mats needed to make the potion the first time get consumed along with the alcohol? If so, is it inefficient to mediate before using every use of the potions you currently have? Or does the materials requirement adjust based on the number of uses you need to restore?

Potions refill when you meditate. You will get the message saying you already have hte item if you already crafted from the craft menu.  Not 100 percent of what happens to the materials you have when potions are refilled.  Never paid attention.

- I noticed the few merchants I've run across so far (the woman at the first inn, the guy you rescued from the griffin, the dwarven blacksmith) all offer different prices for the same items in your inventory. Should I bother trying to sell items and just dismantle everything? I'm short on money, so I can't disenchant a ton of stuff, and money is hard to come by but I also don't want to sell items to a vendor for cheap because I feel like there is another vendor just around the corner that might give a better price. Does that make sense?

Certain NPCs offer better prices depending on what you are selling. Sell armor/swords to a blacksmith or armorer.  Money is easier to come by when you progress through the game.

- how does money work? I picked up a ton of orens and other types of money, but the only one I can use to pay for things is crowns? Is it worth even picking up the other types? How long until I can exchange it for useful money? (is there a use for the other types?)

There are a few currencys and you need to exchange the ones you find for usable money. Novigrad has an exchange merchant.