Explosion at Boston Marathon *NSFW IMAGES*

The point being... this was plotted with military precision. I'll be very surprised to hear some average

Joe put this together. (Bomb-making skills aside. I'm only talking about the execution of the plan.)

There was only 10 seconds between the two bombs and the distance was such that people escaping the first explosion wouldn't have reached the second explosion (based on the footage I saw of the two explosions). Anybody going to the effort of planning such an attack could put together something similar. That's ignoring the possibility that the bombs were meant to go off simultaneously.

security failed BIG on this one.

how aren't there sweeps being done all throughout the event?

It depends when the bombs were planted. There very likely would have been checks along the entire route prior to the marathon but when there are lots of people around it's impossible to monitor every possible location. The winners had passed the line three hours prior to the explosions and there would have been a lot of foot traffic. People aren't going to panic because a bag is left unattended, especially when their attention is focused on the runners.

There really isn't much that can be done without massive public vigilance (i.e. living in a state of constant fear). These sorts of attacks are incredibly infrequent and rarely is the same location targeted numerous times. It remains to be seen whether intelligence services like the CIA and FBI had any indications that an attack was possible / likely, though you would have to assume they didn't.

Anyone who's played a modern shooting game or read a Clancy book knows basic tactics for bombings :\

The internet isn't exactly devoid of such information either. Suggesting it's military precision is kind of pants..

There was an interview with the guy who's running alongside the man with his leg blown off in the wheel chair. Guy is thoroughly shell shocked and wearing a fair amount of blood.

Pretty rough in all :\

Or watched Homeland or 24.

I don't blame "security" on this. You're talking about a relatively small force

trying to cover a HUGE area... to include trashcans and stuff. That's a LOT

to watch/search. As I said before, though, I do find it odd that no-one (the public)

saw anything. While the explosions weren't huge, they were big enough to suggest

a fairly odd package for someone to just be dumping off in trashcans.

(IE: Not a coffee cup or something)

Two bombs placed on the runners route, someone screwed up big and you can bet on some heads rolling over this. Just because you dont blame security in no way equates to thats how others see.

Two bombs placed on the runners route, someone screwed up big and you can bet on some heads rolling over this. Just because you dont blame security in no way equates to thats how others see.

No one is perfect, no plan is perfect, no security is perfect. Place blame on the suspect(s) who initiated this attack, not on someone for not being able to prevent it. This is no one's fault besides the people who caused this.

Anyone who's played a modern shooting game or read a Clancy book knows basic tactics for bombings :\

The internet isn't exactly devoid of such information. Suggesting it's military precision is kind of pants..

True, but would a first time bomber go that far? Personally, I highly doubt it.

Some of these comments on the news are ridiculous. It's a public event, how can you honestly expect to check every inch of everyone AND the surrounding area? Short of everyone being in a bullet-proof box, these things will continue to happen. Some people are just sick in the head...

• Like 2

Yes, except it's not so simple as all that. a blast that big could be generated with a shoe box sized device.

There are dozens of chemicals and compounds which aren't detected by sniffer dogs, so it's not like it's as simple as just sending in the dogs.

Whilst security missed it, I don't think it's right to suggest that it was "their fault". It was the fault of the **** off who blew it up..

• Like 2

No one is perfect, no plan is perfect, no security is perfect. Place blame on the suspect(s) who initiated this attack, not on someone for not being able to prevent it. This is no one's fault besides the people who caused this.

Im not disputing that, just saying, people will be calling for heads over this. People blame others when a nut case with a gun goes on a shoot spree. You can expect more so when law enforcement had a job to do that in the eyes of many will be seen as a failure. That just comes with the territory.

While the blame obviously lies with the perpetrators of the attack that doesn't mean others are without fault. For instance, there may have been shortcomings with the security preparations or with national security intelligence - that's information we likely won't know for many days, weeks or months.

Reminder: Stupid political/debate posts can and will be removed without notice. This topic is for discussion of the news topic, not to debate your political views on any specific news channel, view of guns/bombs/drones etc.

Keep the topic to updates/developing info on the story please.

While the blame obviously lies with the perpetrators of the attack that doesn't mean others are without fault. For instance, there may have been shortcomings with the security preparations or with national security intelligence - that's information we likely won't know for many days, weeks or months.

Ah, you're one of those "Well, she shouldn't have been wearing a short skirt" advocates in sexual abuse cases, aren't you?

Poor people, my heart goes out to them.

Yes, except it's not so simple as all that. a blast that big could be generated with a shoe box sized device.

There are dozens of chemicals and compounds which aren't detected by sniffer dogs, so it's not like it's as simple as just sending in the dogs.

Whilst security missed it, I don't think it's right to suggest that it was "their fault". It was the fault of the **** off who blew it up..

Again I dont disagree with what you say, just pointing out that it's human nature to point and blame. If these devices were placed on the street and not in some store front, then this person got it through security. Whether or not they did it today or a few days in the past thats still one of the questions. The thing is, you have to pass through security to get to those spots, maybe even multiple check points depending on exactly where they were placed. Yes in reality security can never be perfect, that doesn't change human nature in wanting and placing blame for that laps in letting 2 bombs get through.

I've been following this all afternoon, very sad! :( I am supposed to goto Boston this weekend to catch up with high school friends.

Ah, you're one of those "Well, she shouldn't have been wearing a short skirt" advocates in sexual abuse cases, aren't you?

Absolutely not. If somebody failed to do their job properly (i.e. not following security regulations, ignoring intelligence information, etc) and that could have prevented or mitigated the severity of the attack then they bear some responsibility for the event, depending on the scale of the failure. That in no way compares to somebody dressing provocatively, as people should be able to walk around naked without the fear of being raped.

Apparently these bombs were small enough to fit into trash containers, or at least that is what the news is reporting. If that is indeed the case, to the people saying how could this get past security, do you really think it is so hard to fathom a unassuming person just going up and looking like they are throwing trash out? Would you even think to look twice at someone disposing of trash at a huge outdoor event? IF I were to look at someone throwing out trash, my first reaction would probably be "good for them, throwing it where it belongs and not on the street."

My point being is it is super easy to sit behind a monitor and criticize the powers that be for having a lapse in security, but hell I have played enough video games and watched enough movies to know it is not nearly as hard to pull off as we may imagine it to be. All you need is the individual(s) willing to do it. THAT (unfortunately) is the hard part.

• Like 5

I watched for about 10 minutes of the news coverage before I got tired of all the crap from analysts and crap. Had to find out what happened through the web. I'm going to avoid the news, not because I don't want to know, but because I want to avoid the circus the press seems to make everything.

That's what I thought too.

Me too.

A large-ish car bomb for example will generally wreck an entire block. Eg Omagh Bombing which was basically 1/4 tonne of fertilizer.

Videos seem to suggest in this case it was confined to the front of one building. Didn't even knock runners off their feet who were maybe 15-20 metres away.

I am watching NBC here. They stated that the bombs were home made and contained shrapnel composed of BB's, lead balls, bolts. They also stated that the design of these bombs is not new and has been widely used by domestic neo-Nazi groups.

Me too.

A large-ish car bomb for example will generally wreck an entire block. Eg Omagh Bombing which was basically 1/4 tonne of fertilizer.

Videos seem to suggest in this case it was confined to the front of one building. Didn't even knock runners off their feet who were maybe 15-20 metres away.

OKC bomb was fertilizer too, planted in a Ryder truck.

Wow, local channels are still saying that there was a related explosion at the JFK library..

If someone with "military" training was involved in the attacks, they obviously have no idea why the described tactic works against convoys. It is very clear that the same tactic would not work against pedestrians especially within such close timing, in every video you can see people basically just staring and even running towards the first explosion when the second bomb goes off.

• Like 1