A look at the new PS4 design

I wanna see what's inside it, it's a lot thinner than I thought it was going to be, not sure about the parallelogram shape.

I believe these should be correct; someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. The vid said they weren't allowed to show the vents but I found a pic, I think? :huh:

h6-noscale.jpg

7236_10151720403246803_638973331_n.jpg

970741_10151720403256803_1709608719_n.jpg

945588_10151720403781803_151201669_n.jpg

65% smaller than the Xbone with no power brick either. Dont think it looks spectacular to be honest, but at least it doesnt look like a VCR.

• Like 2

I like it, smaller than I was expecting.

I like the design of the Xbox One slightly more.

Holy crap at those vents.

It looks like a harmonica! I guess the IGN video was being taped prior to the press release PDFs and only what was shown at the conference was allowed.

At least its venting out the back, vents anywhere else look tacky.

Now that is what a games console should look like :D and all the heat escapes from the back of the console, which is a better design idea than the VCR from the 80's err I mean Xbox one which has a massive vents on the top, the back and the sides.

I think MS are anticpating more RROD's or the equivalent on the Xbox one :D

I don't get how people think XBOX ONE looks like a VCR. Not even remotely close. Looks like a HD Cable PVR if anything, and that's a lot of what it is too, an entertainment system, not a toy.

Also, how does size matter? That makes no sense at all. Is there a specific reason a device like that needs to be small?

Look how big stereo amplifiers are, and they don't even really do anything. Personally I think the XBOX ONE design is the best design out of anything.

And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the PS4, as I think finally it's looking more like something that belongs in a TV stand with other TV/Audio/Video equipment.

That black glossy piece looks like a nice dust attractor.

I take this will be the gen of the fugly consoles :(

Yup **** gloss. Trying to make myself feel better about it by saying its only on 1/4 on the device.

The PS4 color is to dark I can't find where they put the disc drive slot.

Am I going blind? :/

Looking at front , left portion of the console, in between

from the looks of the back of the thing its not that they could not show you then vents, its that if they showed you the back they couldn't not show you the vents, its all vents back there.

I wouldn't say it's a beautiful design, but it's definitely better than the Xbox One. Not a fan of either console's 2 tone design: the matte/gloss of PS4 and the gloss/grated look of Xbox One.

Switching back to the DS4 is going to be a real struggle personally after being so used to the Xbox controllers for the past 10 years. I just hope the new design is bulkier.

At first I was convinced the PS4 didn't have any exhaust fans ala PS3 first uneviling, but the back is balls to brains in them :laugh:

Edit: woah woah woah, BT 2.1 only?! Not cool.

I thought it kind of looked like a smaller italic version of the Xbox.

I think I maybe slightly biased as I prefer Xbox to PS but despite its size i still think of the two the Xbox is better looking.

Both consoles don't look that great. The dual tone gloss/matte finishes really is lame and tacky. I don't understand why their designers would think it looks good.

I share your sentiments about the controller, DrunknMonkey. I love love love the 360 controller, and I find the DS design passable at best. I hope the slight redesign makes it more comfortable.

It will be overlooked at this point, but including an HDMI cable is a small but nice touch. I know you can get them cheap via amazon and ebay, but for those that may be new to the HDMI world, it's nice to not have to worry about going out and buying one and maybe getting screwed by a box store.

• Like 1