A look at the new PS4 design

Sony has some serious quality engineers. Last year they managed to put a full-voltage Sandy Bridge quadcore in a 13" super-thin ultrabook (barely as high as a VGA port). I think they can pull off the PS4 design easily without getting thermal issues.

I actually really like the design! Looks a lot like the old PS2 which I thought was a good design. Sony kind of going back to their roots. The thing I hated about the PS3 was that it wasn't flat so you couldn't rest anything on top of it! lol I'm glad the PS4 appears to be flat because of this! haha

The Xbone design isn't bad either imo, I think it's a good looking console.

I'd probably say it's a tie between the two :)

I think if any console has thermal issues this time around, they should be hung out to dry. They dogged the last generation and lessons should have been learned!

• Like 1

Not sure how accurate this is, but a rough idea in size comparisons of the PS4 and X1.

n3bWtwW.jpg

Another size comparison: http://www.psmania.net/2013/05/sizing-up-the-console-war-xbox-one-dimensions-revealed/

Also, I'm rocking a laptop with an A10 and 7660G and this thing gets up into the low 80's © and hasn't shut down yet. And my laptop is roughly 3/4" thick. Judging from the size of the PS4, they should have plenty of cooling options in there. As for the design, it's still a bit bulky, but then again, it's roughly the same size as the PS3 Slim, but looks MUCH better. I'm not a huge fan of the gloss, but it's a small amount compared to the rest of the console, and even less when compared to the Xbox One.

And at $399, I was sold :D

Now that is what a games console should look like :D and all the heat escapes from the back of the console, which is a better design idea than the VCR from the 80's err I mean Xbox one which has a massive vents on the top, the back and the sides.

I think MS are anticpating more RROD's or the equivalent on the Xbox one :D

So yeah. all the heat escapes out the back... BUT where does it get cold air in ? the tiny little gap at the bottom ? both in and out at the back(yeah that's a great design)

The heat design on this has some severe issues. unless this is on a final design and there will be vents added to the sides for air intake.

Another little think. the Xbox One is designed to let the hot air out the top, the most efficient way to do it, it's also designed with a massive fan (seems bigger than 120) which means, silent fan. at 5 cm tall, this thing will require a row of 4-4,5 cm fans out the back. as anyone already knows. smaller fans need to go faster, faster means louder. this thing will with that design be very loud.

also it's still a box ;)

So yeah. all the heat escapes out the back... BUT where does it get cold air in ? the tiny little gap at the bottom ? both in and out at the back(yeah that's a great design)

The heat design on this has some severe issues. unless this is on a final design and there will be vents added to the sides for air intake.

Another little think. the Xbox One is designed to let the hot air out the top, the most efficient way to do it, it's also designed with a massive fan (seems bigger than 120) which means, silent fan. at 5 cm tall, this thing will require a row of 4-4,5 cm fans out the back. as anyone already knows. smaller fans need to go faster, faster means louder. this thing will with that design be very loud.

also it's still a box ;)

I'm glad you worked on the PS4 engineering team and are able to alert us to this.

I'm glad you worked on the PS4 engineering team and are able to alert us to this.

Last time I heard overhating was something famous for MS not sony...

So you can't see the very obvious problem of venting air out but no air coming in ? come on, you can't be that blindly loyal that you refuse to see obvious design issues.

the only place this design currently can pull in air is from the bottom which they haven't shown. with the height of the feet as they currently stand that's out of the questions. so either they're adding high feed or they're adding intakes on the sides. As it is right now. it's going to overheat. It's case design 101. you can't vent heat without pulling cool air in, and you can't vent hot air out the back and take cool air in the back both either.

Take your laptop. start a looping benchmark, and cover the intakes. See how long until it shuts down. that's what happens when you have exhaust vents but no intakes.

So you can't see the very obvious problem of venting air out but no air coming in ? come on, you can't be that blindly loyal that you refuse to see obvious design issues.

the only place this design currently can pull in air is from the bottom which they haven't shown. with the height of the feet as they currently stand that's out of the questions. so either they're adding high feed or they're adding intakes on the sides. As it is right now. it's going to overheat. It's case design 101. you can't vent heat without pulling cool air in, and you can't vent hot air out the back and take cool air in the back both either.

Take your laptop. start a looping benchmark, and cover the intakes. See how long until it shuts down. that's what happens when you have exhaust vents but no intakes.

I refuse to make a sweeping statement about a team of engineers who've obviously spent years creating this design. Companies do not make products to purposely fail.

There's a difference between me saying

"I do not know how they've done it from my experience with hardware, I have some questions/concerns, let's see how the internals look"

and

"The heat design on this has some severe issues"

I refuse to make a sweeping statement about a team of engineers who've obviously spent years creating this design. Companies do not make products to purposely fail.

There's a difference between me saying

"I do not know how they've done it from my experience with hardware, I have some questions/concerns, let's see how the internals look"

and

"The heat design on this has some severe issues"

really.... cause you've been doing quite a bit of unsubstantiated sweeping statements in that other forum.

That doesn't however change the fact that as the design is right now, it CAN'T be cooled. it has NOWHERE to pull in cold air from. you don't have to be rocket scientists to know you need air intake to cool something not just exhaust. And the only place they can pull in air with this design is the bottom, that they haven't shown, and then it needs bigger feet.

really.... cause you've been doing quite a bit of unsubstantiated sweeping statements in that other forum.

That doesn't however change the fact that as the design is right now, it CAN'T be cooled. it has NOWHERE to pull in cold air from. you don't have to be rocket scientists to know you need air intake to cool something not just exhaust. And the only place they can pull in air with this design is the bottom, that they haven't shown, and then it needs bigger feet.

So you genuinely believe Sony have made a console that cannot be cooled?

So you genuinely believe Sony have made a console that cannot be cooled?

Funny how he calls everyone out on making assumptions but when he does it he can't possibly be wrong.

yeah, they have vent slits in the horizontal parts of the sides. which may be enough though it's not very optimal for the airflow. but with a powerful fan it should work, and if they use the same fan type as they shower earlier, those are great for it. though not the most effective at 90 degree airflows. but that can be overcome.

I grew up in the 70's and 80's. It looks very much like the VCRs we had. That display particularly!

What display? I wasn't aware it had one.