A look at the new PS4 design

yeah, they have vent slits in the horizontal parts of the sides. which may be enough though it's not very optimal for the airflow. but with a powerful fan it should work, and if they use the same fan type as they shower earlier, those are great for it. though not the most effective at 90 degree airflows. but that can be overcome.

You talk like you know everything about everything.

I'm pretty sure Sony has a massive team of R&D designers and engineers who have tested all this stuff, give it a rest.

really.... cause you've been doing quite a bit of unsubstantiated sweeping statements in that other forum.

That doesn't however change the fact that as the design is right now, it CAN'T be cooled. it has NOWHERE to pull in cold air from. you don't have to be rocket scientists to know you need air intake to cool something not just exhaust. And the only place they can pull in air with this design is the bottom, that they haven't shown, and then it needs bigger feet.

http://farm4.staticf...6b07f9612_h.jpg

You can clearly see the intakes on the side, right in the ridge. They were just smart enough to not make them hugely visible. And this also makes them harder to cover accidentally.

Made the image a bit brighter:

8Hj4jIe.jpg

• Like 3

I think your brain has nowhere to pull in air from either.

http://farm4.staticf...6b07f9612_h.jpg

You can clearly see the intakes on the side, right in the ridge. They were just smart enough to not make them hugely visible. And this also makes them harder to cover accidentally.

I had to turn the brightness and contrast on my monitor to max, to be able to see that.

Also, there are no vents or feet on the bottom, like I thought there might be...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3717/9011261187_7f6f466699_h.jpg

They're all disgusting - we've got a VCR and this:

...parallelogram shape.

The controller looks vile and seems to have regressed stylistically on the PS - I don't recall much about the 360 controller, it just looked like a minor update.

I refuse to make a sweeping statement about a team of engineers who've obviously spent years creating this design. Companies do not make products to purposely fail.

There's a difference between me saying

"I do not know how they've done it from my experience with hardware, I have some questions/concerns, let's see how the internals look"

and

"The heat design on this has some severe issues"

I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to make anything fail, but sometimes things are overdesigned and under-engineered. The MacBook Pro comes to mind. It's stylish but mine idles at 79 C. Not saying that's the case with the PS4, just saying it happens (like the original X360's heat issues).

really.... cause you've been doing quite a bit of unsubstantiated sweeping statements in that other forum.

That doesn't however change the fact that as the design is right now, it CAN'T be cooled. it has NOWHERE to pull in cold air from. you don't have to be rocket scientists to know you need air intake to cool something not just exhaust. And the only place they can pull in air with this design is the bottom, that they haven't shown, and then it needs bigger feet.

:laugh:

There have been thousands and thousands of devices designed with a processor that has a fan on top that directly vents out of the unit without any air intake.

That said, I don't know if you've ever looked a laptop, but there are plenty of side intake designs that are cooling processors that are a) much faster than the Xbone/PS4 APU, and b) in an even smaller case.

Not to mention Sony has it's own ultra-thin laptop line, but yer' right, they probably done screwed this all up.

I had to turn the brightness and contrast on my monitor to max, to be able to see that.

Also, there are no vents or feet on the bottom, like I thought there might be...

http://farm4.staticf...f6f466699_h.jpg

Vents on the bottom are always a bit risky if you ask me. When the feet are gone you're basically blocking them off.

And I'll just repeat this again:

Sony can put a full-power Sandy Bridge quadcore in an ultrabook thinner than a MacBook Air with only an intake on the bottom and a relatively small vent on the side. I think they'll be fine with a comparatively gigantic box like the PS4. They have some of the best hardware engineers in the world.

• Like 3

I don't think cooling will be a problem with PS4, only possible -ve point might be the fan noise. I guess you can't pass judgement on the noise part until there is a tear down or PS4 is in people's homes.

Vents on the bottom are always a bit risky if you ask me. When the feet are gone you're basically blocking them off.

And I'll just repeat this again:

Sony can put a full-power Sandy Bridge quadcore in an ultrabook thinner than a MacBook Air with only an intake on the bottom and a relatively small vent on the side. I think they'll be fine with a comparatively gigantic box like the PS4. They have some of the best hardware engineers in the world.

Ultrabook GPUs are nowhere near as powerful as this one. I might be wrong but the GDDR5 will be adding substantially to the heat load. I am just saying PS4 to Ultrabook is not a valid comparison.

Ultrabook GPUs are nowhere near as powerful as this one. I might be wrong but the GDDR5 will be adding substantially to the heat load. I am just saying PS4 to Ultrabook is not a valid comparison.

Jaguar and a Core i5 mobile are essentially in the same TDP range, it's a valid comparison. Certainly a Core i7 laptop would be a valid comparison, and even in normal laptop form factor, would be smaller than the consoles.

I noticed the optical port. Well spotted with the vents. So obvious, yet I totally missed them.

I wouldn't read too much into it. There isn't a marketing image on earth that doesn't pass through Photoshop these days.

Sony always uses renders for product images, and they differ from the actual product from time to time.

This is the real thing:

DSC09772.jpg

• Like 3

The optical port probably looks off because it's straight in relation to the bottom, not to the slanted back of the console. Not really an issue, it is the back after all.

The optical port probably looks off because it's straight in relation to the bottom, not to the slanted back of the console. Not really an issue, it is the back after all.

very interesting. Normal it's flat on the back.

I thought the whole debate over esthetics starting with the X1 was silly. They both look ok to me.

As others have said, I like how the ps4 reminds me of the ps2, just slanted.

The one thing I hate is the two tone glossy look. Why did both consoles adopt that? Its really weird to see separate design teams come to the same choices, as if two tone glossy is the new 'thing' in fashion lol. Not to mention that both went with striking corners instead of any rounded edges.

So this gen was the 'rounded' era and next gen is the 'squared' era lol.

Was it confirmed that the ps4 has a built in power supply or not? I thought it was said the X1 did, but I didn't see anything for the ps4.

I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to make anything fail, but sometimes things are overdesigned and under-engineered. The MacBook Pro comes to mind. It's stylish but mine idles at 79 C. Not saying that's the case with the PS4, just saying it happens (like the original X360's heat issues).

Apple laptops have always had heat issues. PowerBooks had severe heat issues. MacBooks have severe heat issues.

My PowerBook would get so hot where the lid connected to the base that I could burn myself.

Apple laptops have always had heat issues. PowerBooks had severe heat issues. MacBooks have severe heat issues.

My PowerBook would get so hot where the lid connected to the base that I could burn myself.

I once made eggs on my iBook G4...it used to be that hot.

So long as both consoles plays games without any issue, I don't really care one way or the other how they look.

With that said I hate glossy black, all Matte is so much better (clean my apartment weekly and it's still dusty).

I once made eggs on my iBook G4...it used to be that hot.

Yeah no kidding. Even my Macbook Pro gets ridiculously hot, you could easily burn yourself if you weren't careful.

I wonder if having an internal power supply will increase the possibility of overheating problems. My PS3 hasn't had any issues with it with its internal PS, but we're talking about a serious upgrade in horsepower here,

Current CPUs and GPUs actually run cooler than the ones of the 360 and PS3 era.