A look at the new PS4 design

I hope that with the smaller size and the internal power that there's no massive Yellow, uh, Stripe of Death.

Yeah, heat could be a real problem.

The Xb1 with it's much larger form factor should have zero heat problems.

I don't get how people think XBOX ONE looks like a VCR.

I grew up in the 70's and 80's. It looks very much like the VCRs we had. That display particularly!

• Like 2

It will be overlooked at this point, but including an HDMI cable is a small but nice touch. I know you can get them cheap via amazon and ebay, but for those that may be new to the HDMI world, it's nice to not have to worry about going out and buying one and maybe getting screwed by a box store.

TBH, at this point it should be standard. Did the Super Slim include an HDMI?

I'm sorta preferring the xbone design simply because I *do* want a anonymous looking box under the TV. Next to my anonymous looking receiver and HTPC.

Some of us are married and need it to pass the WAF test y'know..

Neither box is stunning - but then, it's a box. Perhaps I'm too pragmatic.

That black glossy piece looks like a nice dust attractor.

I take this will be the gen of the fugly consoles :(

Yup **** gloss. Trying to make myself feel better about it by saying its only on 1/4 on the device.

Solution - clean your house more and it wont be a problem :p. (cleaning includes dusting too, i'd rather see there is dust build up to clean it than sit there thinking it's all great!).

Current matte Xbox360 Slim gets cleaned once a week anyways, I have glass entertainment tops anyways so dust shows up right away no matter what. If i'm cleaning those then i'll be cleaning everything else. Dysons do a good job of it :p

I don't get how people think XBOX ONE looks like a VCR. Not even remotely close. Looks like a HD Cable PVR if anything, and that's a lot of what it is too, an entertainment system, not a toy.

Also, how does size matter? That makes no sense at all. Is there a specific reason a device like that needs to be small?

Look how big stereo amplifiers are, and they don't even really do anything. Personally I think the XBOX ONE design is the best design out of anything.

And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the PS4, as I think finally it's looking more like something that belongs in a TV stand with other TV/Audio/Video equipment.

As someone who grew up when VCR's were around, when they revealed what the XboxOne looked like, VCR was the first thing that jumped to mind.

It's the same box shape, with media on the left, and power button on the right, same as just about every VCR.

I prefer the aesthetics of the PS4 over the XboxOne, however I don't think the XboxOne design is bad.

That being said, both companies have shown that they will change their designs with future hardware revisions.

Solution - clean your house more and it wont be a problem :p.

It's always is a problem with glossy surfaces, unless you mean I should be cleaning and dusting the whole house every single day... which is still not a perfect solution as light will easily show a few dust particles comfortably laying on your otherwise immaculate surface just a few hours after cleaning it all.

And then there are the fingerprints and the scratches.

I'd rather settle with matte stuff, thanks.

no USB? how do you connect an external harddrive/SDcard for media (movies, pron, music, transfer files)?

DLNA? Wifi direct?

Aren't there 2 USB ports on the front of the system?

Aren't there 2 USB ports on the front of the system?

ok, just went back and look, 2 is there. but in the front tho? would look a bit weird if things are plugged in. anyways, at least they're there.

There are 3 USB ports, 1 in back and 2 in front (well that's all I saw so far).

I'm guessing those would facilitate the use of playing games while charging the controller too otherwise it would be cumbersome to be all the way in the back.

I'm guessing those would facilitate the use of playing games while charging the controller too otherwise it would be cumbersome to be all the way in the back.

The port at the back is AUX, not USB. So there are only 2x USB 3.0 ports at the front.

there's no usb in the back. 1 hdmi out, 1 obitical out, 1 land, 1 power and the other connection (not a usb) looks like it's for the ps eye i'm guessing.

I'm sorta preferring the xbone design simply because I *do* want a anonymous looking box under the TV. Next to my anonymous looking receiver and HTPC.

Some of us are married and need it to pass the WAF test y'know..

Neither box is stunning - but then, it's a box. Perhaps I'm too pragmatic.

nope... domesticated... LOL!!

The port at the back is AUX, not USB. So there are only 2x USB 3.0 ports at the front.

there's no usb in the back. 1 hdmi out, 1 obitical out, 1 land, 1 power and the other connection (not a usb) looks like it's for the ps eye i'm guessing.

Yup, you guys are right. the other image I saw wasn't as clear as the one above. Thanks for that.

Prolly like Anaron in getting Playstation (my first) maybe for Christmas next year though...

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18qfzg5dfaqs3jpg/original.jpg (kinda large, didn't want to hot link)

Even clearer!

I wonder if having an internal power supply will increase the possibility of overheating problems. My PS3 hasn't had any issues with it with its internal PS, but we're talking about a serious upgrade in horsepower here, which means more heat. I'm confident they'll have it figured out by then, just thinking out loud.

I wonder if having an internal power supply will increase the possibility of overheating problems. My PS3 hasn't had any issues with it with its internal PS, but we're talking about a serious upgrade in horsepower here, which means more heat. I'm confident they'll have it figured out by then, just thinking out loud.

I thought the same thing, with it being smaller than X1, I hope there's no "yellow line of death" fiasco (assuming that blue line is a power light).

I thought the same thing, with it being smaller than X1, I hope there's no "yellow line of death" fiasco (assuming that blue line is a power light).

It being a standard PC, I think it should be safe.

Well remember, it's an APU, more 'mobility' part, so heat and Power usage is way down 'normal pc parts'. APU from AMD are really cool, i use to have a 'workstation' with a A10 and sometime, while at desktop, the fan on the CPU cooler just stopped running and i was at 30C.. LOL

As far as design goes, I do like it a bit better than the Xbox One. From what I heard from the people at E3, it is smaller and supposedly lighter than the X1. What gets me though is how it can be smaller, lighter, not need nearly as much venting as the X1, faster (on paper), not have a giant power brick supposedly, and yet at a $399 price point. I mean, I'm definitely not complaining, but that's quite an engineering feat. And I guess if you can even remove and upgrade the hard drive just as you could before, that functionality of not being so limited is pretty cool too.

I'm not too concerned with Bluetooth or how many USB ports it actually has.

As far as looks go, I think it looks quite nice when standing up. A bit less attractive laying down. The design reminds me of futuristic buildings. This was my first thought actually:

ExlsKvIl.jpg