If Halo 5 is a good game, I think sales will be fine. Good AAA games tend to sell well even if other AAA titles are around. COD vs BF4, etc, etc. Sure it can get crowded, so we will see when MS decides to release. They probably want to space out AAA X1 releases so I would bet they do not load up September. Let Destiny be the big X1 AAA title for Sept and have Halo sometime after.

If Halo 5 is a bad game, well it won't matter when its released.

True, but the trouble is they have an uphill struggle now that Bungie isn't developing it (a huge deal for Halo fans), and their first attempt wasn't great or supported well. Compared to other games I don't think Halo will ever get overlooked. It has an established fan base and following, but it doesn't mean it's invincible. Just look at the reaction to BF4 this year and opinions changing.

September or November, it doesn't matter. If I had to pick, I think I'd go up against CoD in November assuming Acti don't skip a year for next-gen progression, which I think is a high probability with 2 AAA FPS a few short months apart. Q4 FPS releases are getting pretty crowded these days, worst case scenario is Halo gets squeezed out of the quarter all together and sales dip due to that.

I think halo 5 will be fine, I liked 4s SP actually and since I'm not a big MP player I didn't have a issue with it, I never used the loadouts so I don't know what problems people had with it or the boosts you got for doing things. Anyways, if the fans are as vocal an out things as they tend to be then 343i will make the changes it needs to. I hope Spartan Ops is still around though, I liked that idea a lot.

Loadouts weren't even the biggest issue concerning MP, which just goes to show how badly handled it was. You may not care for it, but when it comes to CoD, BF, Halo etc we all know that a majority of the sales are for MP. If you can't get it right, you're in trouble. Not sure if this was posted on Neowin at the time, but it has a lot of detail to the life of Halo 4 MP:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697

• 3 months later...
Destiny gets new screens & details, beta content discussed, new footage ?soon?

Monday, 7th April 2014 13:52 GMT By Dave Cook

Destiny has receive a new round of screens out of Bungie?s latest Mailsack blog post, along with new details on the lack of AI friendlies, loot and crafting.

It follows Bungie?s teasing of a Destiny collector?s edition, which is due to be revealed this week.

Destiny_2.jpg

The images are below, while the blog touches on the issue of NPC companions. Basically, there aren?t any.

?Why would you want to recruit a Non-Player Character, when the world of Destiny is populated with Guardians?? Bungie asks. ?Every hero from the last safe city on Earth will be driven by a living, thinking player with a racing pulse and an itchy trigger finger. You?ll come across characters bound to the software, of course, but your allies will be the other players who join you on your adventures.?

On the shooter?s beta phase, Bungie said it would consist of, ?Enough to tell us what we need to know, but not so much that you?ll be left with no more worlds to conquer. Ever served Bungie as a beta tester? This will be the biggest proving grounds we?ve ever opened up to you before we were go for final launch.?

?The Tower will be a place where you can restore and upgrade your weapons and gear,? Bungie replied when asked about crafting. ?Some of the loot you capture on your missions will be items that you can equip or wield. Other treasures that you reap from the action you sow will be raw materials that you need to upgrade your inventory. The best thing is that your rewards will be pre-destined. The fates know what you need, and your fortunes will favor the brave.?

Lastly; when asked if there will be more Destiny footage, the team simply replied, ?Yes. Soon.?

We?ll have more on Destiny soon.

Via OXM.

Destiny_5-156x87.jpg Destiny_1-156x87.jpg Destiny_2-156x87.jpg Destiny_3-156x87.jpg Destiny_4-156x87.jpg

http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/07/destiny-gets-new-screens-details-beta-content-discussed-new-footage-soon/

http://www.totalxbox.com/74652/new-destiny-details-and-screenshots-no-ai-pets-pvp-inventory-options/#

• Like 1

Halo 5 should not release alongside Destiny. Forget sales, it will feel like spite. MS and Bungie may not be working directly together but i don't think there's any major issues between them. If Halo 5 comes out in Nov it will be fine.

And personally thought Halo 4 was much better than Reach, but still not as good as Halo 3 and of course the underrated ODST.

Every location in Destiny is "more or less the size of Halo: Reach"

Bungie leaves plenty of room for crowds

Posted on Friday 11-Apr-2014 3:46 PM GMT   By Edwin Evans-Thirlwell, Deputy Editor for OXM

Big, meet bigger. Bungie software engineer Christian Diefenbach has revealed that each major location in the forthcoming Destiny is "more or less the same size" as an entire game - Halo Reach, to be specific.

Speaking to Brazilian website Jogos, Diefenbach also revealed that there are over 500 people working on Destiny, where 130 people worked on the original Halo.

image_39545_fit_620.jpgimage_38477_fit_620.jpg

image_38476_fit_620.jpgimage_38387_fit_620.jpg

image_38474_fit_620.jpgimage_37057_fit_620.jpg

image_37054_fit_620.jpgimage_35490_fit_620.jpg

As you hopefully know by now, the game casts players as Guardians, and sees you exploring the wreckage of a human solar empire for secrets, ancient weapons and things to blow up or run away from. According to Diefenbach, Destiny employs two perspectives: you'll fight in first person while out and about, but exploration of social areas (where you'll meet other players and choose missions) takes place in third person, the better to appreciate your costume and loadout.

I've attached a gallery of the game's locations - it'll take us to the Moon, Mars and Venus, among other planets. Read more about how the developer is constructing a universe here. Care to watch 12 minutes of gameplay footage from last year's E3?

http://www.totalxbox.com/74976/every-location-in-destiny-is-more-or-less-the-size-of-halo-reach/

• Like 2

This game looks awesome and seems like it will have awesome story. But I'm kinda losing interest in it since it appears to be more and more pure MMOFPS which I just can't stand, they don't work. For FPS games I would rather have a good singleplayer story and more focused smaller scale multiplayer.

Oh well, can't tell until it's out or there a proper beta or something. But there's lots of other things to look forward to so.

While it's true that this is basically a MMOFPS I don't see, or remember reading about, any PvP.  So it should be more or less story/event driven PvE which is fine with me.    That means I can take my time and mind my own business unless I want to do some co-op or go to one of the community event areas that they talked about.  

There's definitely PvP multiplayer, we just don't know in what form, like if it'll be limited to it's own mode or not. From the following quote, that sounds like it's the case:

There are dedicated PvP areas, and "these maps are specifically designed 100% from the ground up to be awesome for competitive multiplayer".

There's definitely PvP multiplayer, we just don't know in what form, like if it'll be limited to it's own mode or not. From the following quote, that sounds like it's the case:

That's better, if you know where they are, like a specific part of the world/town or w/e and you can go there when you want or if you want.  I have no issue dropping in for some MP PvP like any other FPS but only when I feel like it, I'd rather the rest of the game be different, more SP like yet with the world being up online and so on.

has there been anymore word on a pc release?

Nothing yet, but very likely considering this is an Activision product. Who knows, they never released COD3 on PC, so it's possible Destiny will skip it as well.

Nothing yet, but very likely considering this is an Activision product. Who knows, they never released COD3 on PC, so it's possible Destiny will skip it as well.

Shame, I don't plan to get any of the new consoles anytime soon, so PC is where I'm playing games right now.

Shame, I don't plan to get any of the new consoles anytime soon, so PC is where I'm playing games right now.

There's plenty other stuff to enjoy, so if you choose to be PC-only just ignore Destiny. You won't lack for enjoyment with everything else that's coming out or already available, and Destiny itself may still make a PC showing: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/destiny-devs-talk-space-travel-pc-and-microtransactions

Not sure if that's the latest word, but none of the official materials mention PC, and Bungie haven't really worked on PC commercially in ages, so it could go either way (Activision can always outsource the port, not a problem).

I think the second release will have PC support, as mentioned in the article they're currently targeting 360+Xbone+PS3+PS4, all of them taking development time, while the release after probably won't have PS3/360 releases, and also has the benefit of having the engine foundation in place (So instead of spending time making the engine work, they're spending time making the game work)

• Like 1

There's plenty other stuff to enjoy, so if you choose to be PC-only just ignore Destiny. You won't lack for enjoyment with everything else that's coming out or already available, and Destiny itself may still make a PC showing: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/destiny-devs-talk-space-travel-pc-and-microtransactions

Not sure if that's the latest word, but none of the official materials mention PC, and Bungie haven't really worked on PC commercially in ages, so it could go either way (Activision can always outsource the port, not a problem).

Oh I know, I have a few games on my wish list right now and am just waiting for their prices to drop a bit before I pick them up.  Also just finished AC4 a few days ago.

That was an excellent experience, really liked it!

I think the second release will have PC support, as mentioned in the article they're currently targeting 360+Xbone+PS3+PS4, all of them taking development time, while the release after probably won't have PS3/360 releases, and also has the benefit of having the engine foundation in place (So instead of spending time making the engine work, they're spending time making the game work)

That is a possible scenario, the PC version could be delayed due to focusing on 360/PS3 still.

• 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to this, when they said some of the missions will take place on Mars they had me, even if it's just a small part of the experience

New Kotaku preview really lays the smackdown on the hype. It's a long read and I won't cut quotes out of context, but it reflects all the worries I've had about the game from E3, videos, etc.

New Kotaku preview really lays the smackdown on the hype. It's a long read and I won't cut quotes out of context, but it reflects all the worries I've had about the game from E3, videos, etc.

Indeed it does. I read it earlier today at work, and it is not really the best preview.

However the author has written some suspect articles in the past imho, and apparently I am not alone in believing this, so not sure how much weight I hold in her words.

With that said, I might be among the minority here, but I am not a big fan of MMO-FPS hybrid games to begin with. I barely played Borderlands for example.

While I get the reason they appeal to a lot of people, it is those same reasons they do not appeal to myself. So I cannot say Destiny was ever really made for me to begin with. I have read they have made the game with people like myself in mind, where it can be played in short increments on one can still get something out of the experience, however I cannot help but believe they very structure of a game like this means this is not really true, even if they say it is. Games like these historically have required time and persistence for them to really pay off. Two commodities I am short on these days.

Indeed it does. I read it earlier today at work, and it is not really the best preview.

However the author has written some suspect articles in the past imho, and apparently I am not alone in believing this, so not sure how much weight I hold in her words.

With that said, I might be among the minority here, but I am not a big fan of MMO-FPS hybrid games to begin with. I barely played Borderlands for example.

While I get the reason they appeal to a lot of people, it is those same reasons they do not appeal to myself. So I cannot say Destiny was ever really made for me to begin with. I have read they have made the game with people like myself in mind, where it can be played in short increments on one can still get something out of the experience, however I cannot help but believe they very structure of a game like this means this is not really true, even if they say it is. Games like these historically have required time and persistence for them to really pay off. Two commodities I am short on these days.

All due respect to Patricia, "boring" is not a critcism i'd worry about too much. From a quick scan the article doesn't seem to mention any glaring technical issues save for dumb AI, which is normal in games sadly and may still be upgraded before the release. Otherwise sounds like just a matter of taste. Some people thought Stanley Parable was the most amazing thing ever, i thought it was a "oh so witty with a touch of British accent" waste of $15. Let's not even start talking about stuff like Euro Truck Simulator :rofl:

We knew Destiny was going to be like Borderlands and Defiance, that was pretty obvious from the get go. Sounds like Patricia didn't like the demo because it didn't fit any genre neatly: it's in first person but it's not an FPS, it's like an MMO, but it's not an MMO. That does not make it a bad experience.