spenser.d

I saw Engadget's description and watched the gameplay vid released today and it looks kinda like Mass Effect to me.  Which is totally fine.  I'm definitely going to get it. I'm sure the gameplay won't live up to the hype some people have (their own fault), but I have faith in their ability to tell a story and that's where I'm definitely sold.

• Like 2
sanctified

You're completely wrong. Halo doesn't have iron sights :rofl:

My God, its true! Totally different game then :p

• Like 1
neoadorable

I saw Engadget's description and watched the gameplay vid released today and it looks kinda like Mass Effect to me.  Which is totally fine.  I'm definitely going to get it. I'm sure the gameplay won't live up to the hype some people have (their own fault), but I have faith in their ability to tell a story and that's where I'm definitely sold.

As i say often, day one purchase if i'm still kicking. At my aged state you come to not expect too much, so unless a game really sucks big time, i have my fun and get something out of it. Have a sneaking suspicion Destiny will be good, not sure what people expect but it seems like a big and deep experience. I don't expect it to be overly original, otherwise all good.

Thomas the Tank Engine

I don't want to read through 6 pages, but has there now been an official announcement about a PC version?

ensiform

I don't want to read through 6 pages, but has there now been an official announcement about a PC version?

Yes there was.  And there isn't going to be one because they're console devs instead of porting to consoles.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-28-bungie-explains-why-theres-still-no-pc-version-of-destiny

They apparently missed the memo about http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1211091-pc-games-have-surpassed-console-games-globally

The_Decryptor

My only hype is that it's made by Bungie, they're pretty good at making a nice story. The environments also look pretty interesting (And varied enough that it lets them do different takes)

The actual mechanics at this point are pretty hard to get wrong, pretty much every FPS plays the same way (Not a bad thing, if they've got a story to back them up)

neoadorable

They did not say there won't be a PC version, the guy specifically said they're all PC gamers and that it is not a simple port. Nowhere did he say there will never be a PC version.

George P

What's the deal with the whole PvP bits?  Is there select areas just for it or does it happen anywhere like other MMOs etc?   I don't have either of the new consoles yet and I'm not going to get this for my 360 so I'll either wait for a PC version later or play this game way late.

Showan

This seems like a game, that if none of your friends are online, you'd never play it.  This game seems dependent on friends playing it together.  People probably wouldn't even bother playing with strangers, unless you manage to get someone that you can coordinate time frames with to play together.

trooper11

This seems like a game, that if none of your friends are online, you'd never play it.  This game seems dependent on friends playing it together.  People probably wouldn't even bother playing with strangers, unless you manage to get someone that you can coordinate time frames with to play together.

That's a problem I have with about any mmo. I have a real hard time getting into such games unless I have a nice group of friends that want to jump on and play.

neoadorable

What's the deal with the whole PvP bits?  Is there select areas just for it or does it happen anywhere like other MMOs etc?   I don't have either of the new consoles yet and I'm not going to get this for my 360 so I'll either wait for a PC version later or play this game way late.

It looks like this is going to be exactly like Defiance, which is not bad save for the goofy graphics, iffy story, and clunky mechanics :|

Done right, something like this could work amazingly well. It's not really much different than the Souls games, which everyone raves about. Looks like Destiny will be single player and multiplayer, up to you. You enter the world and do whaterver. There will be single player missions, there will be multiplayer missions, and combinations. Probably lots of missions that you could do on your own and others that would be nearly impossible solo. So basically like any other open world game, maybe even like GTA online. With good graphics, stable servers, and a well-designed world this could be awesome.

• Like 1
:: Lyon ::

I was late to the party and only bothered to look at what this game is all about today.

I got turned off completely when I know that it won't be coming to PC :( oh well

neoadorable

Why are people suddenly so against it? It looks great to me! And it'll have the moon, Mars, and Venus as playable areas. What were you guys expecting exactly? :unsure:

Brendeth

Why are people suddenly so against it? It looks great to me! And it'll have the moon, Mars, and Venus as playable areas. What were you guys expecting exactly? :unsure:

I think people are a little taken aback purely because of the marketing, it has been nothing but "the future of gaming" "the next billion dollar franchise" "awesome wow great new stuff" and then they go and show us Halolands Online. It would be pretty discouraging, but at the same time at least it looks pretty and well it's Bungie, they might not be innovating but my lord do they understand how to polish.

• Like 1
The_Decryptor

I'm not sure what people expect from the marketing, of course they're going to promote the product, that's the point.

I noticed that in the Polygon article, the author seemed to find it strange that he heard marketing at a marketing event.

• Like 2
Brendeth

I'm not sure what people expect from the marketing, of course they're going to promote the product, that's the point.

I noticed that in the Polygon article, the author seemed to find it strange that he heard marketing at a marketing event.

That Polygon article could have been a bullet-point list:

- Oh cool an event

- Look at these marketing people doing marketing, lame.

- They won't even tell me the entire story

- No seriously I don't want to wait until the game is released give me every detail

- Oh we played the game a little

- that marketing sheesh

- why won't they tell me more

- halo makers made a game that feels like halo

- wah

- this game needs to innovate to be good

- this game isn't changing the whole industry

- what a waste of my time

• Like 2
neoadorable

I think people are a little taken aback purely because of the marketing, it has been nothing but "the future of gaming" "the next billion dollar franchise" "awesome wow great new stuff" and then they go and show us Halolands Online. It would be pretty discouraging, but at the same time at least it looks pretty and well it's Bungie, they might not be innovating but my lord do they understand how to polish.

Halolands Online heh heh good one! For me, that's exactly the game i was expecting. Wasn't it obvious this was Halo + Borderlands + Defiance from the get go? And your summary of the Polygon article was excellent. The spoiled brat mentality that has permeated the gaming press and community is beginning to grate. Why is it wrong to market a product? Since when is showmanship a sin? It's been a human craft since neolithic times. If you believe it all hook and sinker, that's your fault, not the marketer's. If the marketer flat out lies...that's a different story.

Kotaku also had this idiotic article on the same event, if i remember correctly the main criticism was that it was both online and not online and an FPS :wacko:

Next: water blamed for being wet

Brendeth

Halolands Online heh heh good one! For me, that's exactly the game i was expecting. Wasn't it obvious this was Halo + Borderlands + Defiance from the get go? And your summary of the Polygon article was excellent. The spoiled brat mentality that has permeated the gaming press and community is beginning to grate. Why is it wrong to market a product? Since when is showmanship a sin? It's been a human craft since neolithic times. If you believe it all hook and sinker, that's your fault, not the marketer's. If the marketer flat out lies...that's a different story.

Kotaku also had this idiotic article on the same event, if i remember correctly the main criticism was that it was both online and not online and an FPS :wacko:

Next: water blamed for being wet

I think the problem with marketing stems from setting such high expectations, when someone is barraged with media for a game they would naturally assume the best and have a bigger picture in their head. Then comes along the game to play and they had their imagination running wild only to have it crushed by what is in front of them. Over-hyping something can be just as bad as not even talking about it, unfortunately it's a fine line in the marketing world.

I didn't read Kotaku's article and I don't care to, I avoid that site like the plague haha.

Xerxes

Destiny seems really fascinating to me, however, one thing I cannot seem to figure out for the life of me is what type of game this is? at first I thought it was just another MMO and lost interest in it immediately (my preference is games with a strong singleplayer campaign, MMOs don't interest me). However, with all the hype and talk of "singleplayer" it's sparking my interest again. Is this a MMO? or something like Titanfall, as in it has a campaign of sorts but you play it online with people? or is it something more like say Borderlands? where it's better with friends but can play solo if you desire? 

The_Decryptor

It's like an ?FPS RPG? with drop in multiplayer for co-op style gameplay and public events that throw you in groups of like 20 people to fight bosses.

• Like 1
Xerxes

It's like an ?FPS RPG? with drop in multiplayer for co-op style gameplay and public events that throw you in groups of like 20 people to fight bosses.

That sounds alright (Y), sounds to me like it's vaguely like Borderlands 2 but much bigger scale and additions like the public events. 

neoadorable

I think the problem with marketing stems from setting such high expectations, when someone is barraged with media for a game they would naturally assume the best and have a bigger picture in their head. Then comes along the game to play and they had their imagination running wild only to have it crushed by what is in front of them. Over-hyping something can be just as bad as not even talking about it, unfortunately it's a fine line in the marketing world.

I didn't read Kotaku's article and I don't care to, I avoid that site like the plague haha.

People should learn to chill out and mitigate their expectations...gaming isn't a new phenomenon exactly, we all know more or less what to expect just from looking at some screenshots.  But you are right, it's overblown expectations and then acting all let down. Very childish.

Destiny seems really fascinating to me, however, one thing I cannot seem to figure out for the life of me is what type of game this is? at first I thought it was just another MMO and lost interest in it immediately (my preference is games with a strong singleplayer campaign, MMOs don't interest me). However, with all the hype and talk of "singleplayer" it's sparking my interest again. Is this a MMO? or something like Titanfall, as in it has a campaign of sorts but you play it online with people? or is it something more like say Borderlands? where it's better with friends but can play solo if you desire? 

Decryptor described it very well, i also think it will be somewhere along the lines of Borderlands and Defiance, with your choice of either participating in activities with others, or going it alone. I imagine there will be NPCs, and there should definitely be a campaign with a story - and not like Titanfall's sad excuse of a campaign, which is a blight on an otherwise excellent experience.

EDIT: speaking of marketing, whenever anyone feels jaded watch this and appreciate how far we've come in less than a decade. We're all getting older, so just enjoy what we have and don't be so negative - every game you get to play is great, better than missing out on it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTs0AoaMYGA

• Like 1
GotBored

Destiny beta coming in July

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/6/5688422/destiny-beta-date-july-bungie-activision

The July window for Destiny's beta was announced during the publisher's quarterly financial call. The beta was initially slated to launch in spring 2014, but was pushed back to this summer in February. The beta will launch on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 first.

Earlier today, reports began circulating that the game took Activision $500 million to develop and promote.

Destiny will launch on Sept. 9 for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Skiver

I'm still not 100% sold on this, I love the idea of the gameplay behind it but in videos so far it just doesn't look all that good.

• Like 1