Man of Steel sequel to feature Batman (and others) (2016)

Errr this was announced years ago?

Has no one seen "I am Legend" in a scene Will smith walks past a building which displays a possible Batman/superman cross over film. At the time I assumed this to be fictional, but with this news I can see I was wrong.

Christan Bale and Henry Cavil have to be the heroes.  ....... if its someone else ...

*gets torches and pitchforks ready*

I saw it, and got excited, but at the time it was known that a Batman/Superman movie was planned.  I'm pretty sure that project was canned, though, and what we're getting now is not the same movie they had intended when I Am Legend was released.  That doesn't make me any less excited that they're finally doing it, though.

Huh? Man of Steel, like it or not is gonna make over $700 Million worldwide. How is it Superman can't carry his own film?

Maybe so, a lot of bad films still generate money. Ive just never been impressed with a Superman film - Superman has never hit the heights that it should have, first thing i think of when it comes to a Superman film? Absolute cheese.

Superman has never hit the heights that it should have, first thing i think of when it comes to a Superman film? Absolute cheese

Were you around for the original Reeves movie?

Maybe so, a lot of bad films still generate money. Ive just never been impressed with a Superman film - Superman has never hit the heights that it should have, first thing i think of when it comes to a Superman film? Absolute cheese.

It's your opinion that the movies are bad though, not the general public's opinion that whent and see the movie ;) The new one clearly did hit the heights that it deserved.

Still really excited about this film. I think I'm going to make a wallpaper of the logo with my own touch. Here's a little preview of the one that I made of Batman's New 52 logo last week:

Screenshot-on-2013-07-23-at-17.23.12.png

And one of Nolan's trilogy that isn't finished yet:

Screenshot-on-2013-07-23-at-17.24.10.png

1978? I wasnt, i was born in 1986 but ive still seen them - couldnt get along with them at all.

OK, I asked because I didn't want to seem patronising if you hadn't.

When Donner's Superman came out in 1978 it was well received like Nolans Batman was.  The context of our superhero's changes with the times.  Now it looks dated and cheesy in places, obviously, but just as Donner's vision has aged, Nolans will also.  I think you being born mid 80's suggests you never got to see a Superman movie in context before?

It's your opinion that the movies are bad though, not the general public's opinion that whent and see the movie ;) The new one clearly did hit the heights that it deserved.

Still really excited about this film. I think I'm going to make a wallpaper of the logo with my own touch. Here's a little preview of the one that I made of Batman's New 52 logo last week:

Screenshot-on-2013-07-23-at-17.23.12.png

And one of Nolan's trilogy that isn't finished yet:

Screenshot-on-2013-07-23-at-17.24.10.png

I need that Nolan wallpaper :p (when your done ;) )

It's your opinion that the movies are bad though, not the general public's opinion that whent and see the movie ;)

Yes correct its my opinion, what is your point exactly? Was i speaking for the masses cryptically or something?

OK, I asked because I didn't want to seem patronising if you hadn't.

When Donner's Superman came out in 1978 it was well received like Nolans Batman was.  The context of our superhero's changes with the times.  Now it looks dated and cheesy in places, obviously, but just as Donner's vision has aged, Nolans will also.  I think you being born mid 80's suggests you never got to see a Superman movie in context before?

I completely understand your point, maybe my time of birth and the movies i was brought up with have had an effect on my judgment of what a good movie is - take away the special effects, take away the fact is was made before my time, the story and the acting still doesnt cut it. Ive seen movies from that year and years before that blow it out of the water. For me, in my opinion, Superman has never hit the heights it should have.

Yes correct its my opinion, what is your point exactly? Was i speaking for the masses cryptically or something?

Saying "Maybe so, a lot of bad films still generate money." made it sound like you meant it as a fact :p

Re-read it myself just now and never mind the whole thing :)

Well, while Man of Steel did do good, overall, it did show one thing that WB did take into account, and that was that it had a pretty big drop-off after the first week when you compare it to things like Batman and Iron Man which so far, outside of the original Spiderman, are the only ones who top the $400million domestic box office bar.   That points to the possibility that fewer people would end up seeing a MoS2 sequel, those who didn't like the first etc.  The odds of that could've been as high as 50% but now, and this is honestly the right thing to do for WBs endgame, with having batman in it you've just insured that you're sequel will do even better than the first.  You don't just get the people who liked the MoS movie, you also grab all the batman fans, and he has more, that might have not liked MoS enough to see MoS2 but will now go to see it for sure just because batman is in it.

Also as far as the endgame goes, you needed to start this hero cross-over with them as a lead up to the future JL movie.  There's just no other way to go about it.

@GP007: You're making some pretty solid points.

+1 That gold one is GOLD!

What's wrong with gold? :p

Also as far as the endgame goes, you needed to start this hero cross-over with them as a lead up to the future JL movie.  There's just no other way to go about it.

Not everyone is a fan of Superman, just like not everyone is a fan of Batman. Having both in one film would be a mega hit. And it helps tie in JL, like you said.

Not to mention, Batman had 3 movies to go through (the last series of course) and Superman had what, Superman Returns and then 20+ years in between movies. Now I enjoyed Superman Returns, mainly because I'm a huge fan of the original Donner movie(s) and I loved that it was a continuation of that story (more or less). But in reality most people didn't really enjoy Returns all that much apparently, So other than the people looking forward to a new Superman flick, and the people looking forward to a Zack Synder Superman film (thought two aren't mutually equal mind you) there wasn't quite as much to go on like with the Batman films.

Still, I just don't get why people say a Superman film can't stand on it's own merit. I'm pretty sure if the next movie (with or without Batman) was Superman vs. Darkseid or Doomsday or some other big villain (you know, like the one who killed him, kinda) people would go crazy for that. The fact that Batman is involved is just a plus in my opinion that adds to the overall mythos of the next film.

^True that. Also Doomsday was the one who killed Superman :p

That's the thing though, the enemies that would be good for a superman only movie are those two and Luthor.  I'd use Darkseid in a future Justice League movie because he can bring a army into the mix for scale and that's what you need for a good JL movie.  That means i'd save doomsday for a final MoS movie, go out with a bang and all that.

Well the problem with most Superman villains is they can't really stand toe to toe with him in the end. Sure Doomsday could, and Darkseid is stronger than Superman. Luthor isn't anything like Superman, but his intelligence is his greatest weapon. There are other villains they could use though, some on par with Superman, and some not even from "supermans rogue gallery". What about Bizzaro? Brainiac? How about Black Adam? Anti-Monitor? Sure some of those are a little far fetched for a more "realistic" DC universe that they created with MoS, but still.

I feel like DC's animated movies are doing a better job than the live action stuff. Batman still feels like he is a detective instead of just showing up or having the villain just tell him in a message. Superman is still boring but its the villains that can go toe-to-toe with him that makes it watchable. Two of my favorites are Batman: Year One and Justice League: The New Frontier.

Heck even some of the games seem to portray the DC world better than live action movies. I cant see Arkham Asylum or Arkham City as movies because trying to cram in all the villains in a 2+ hour movie will seem rushed but I can see one hour episodes AMC or another cable station that can do it justice if they didn't come out as games.