Do you use any Modern Apps?

182 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use any Modern Apps on a Desktop PC?

• Yes
    • No

nope, i only use the start screen to search for the apps I rarely use that are not pinned to my task bar. I hate how much screen they waste and the lack of functionality in the majority.

IE, Mail, Skype, Teamviewer, One Note, music, videos and tunein radio. Weather, cnn, sky news and the regular news app for the live tile updates. If there's a modern app version of something I use, I decided to use that version. I'm liking it.

Hum, on 30 Aug 2013 - 13:57, said:Hum, on 30 Aug 2013 - 13:57, said:Hum, on 30 Aug 2013 - 13:57, said:Hum, on 30 Aug 2013 - 13:57, said:

What makes an app 'Modern' ?

I know that was kind of sarcasm, but it's the name. Since Metro was a trademark, Microsoft decided for "Modern UI".

I use a few apps. Mail, Skype, Xbox Smartglass (I have my Xbox right next to my desktop) and a few others.

I do tend to use more Modern UI apps in my convertible PC. But Windows 8.1 does improve the experience on the desktop, especially with multi-monitor setups..

Anyway, I find it amusing that while most replies say they don't use Modern UI apps, the poll gives a lead to "Yes". People are more vocal when they are negative. 

And I have to say. If you can't find a single app to use, you're really not giving the Modern UI a chance... You're just putting your fingers in your ears and saying "lalalalalalala"...

I know that was kind of sarcasm, but it's the name. Since Metro was a trademark, Microsoft decided for "Modern UI".

^ No -- that was a question.

As long as a program does what I want, it is modern to me. :p

I don't use any modern apps. I would use them if they opened like any normal desktop apps which could be minimized/maximized/resized. They should minimize on the taskbar. Even in Windows 8.1, the Modern apps are completely unusable. 

• Like 3

Hum, on 30 Aug 2013 - 14:30, said:Hum, on 30 Aug 2013 - 14:30, said:Hum, on 30 Aug 2013 - 14:30, said:

^ No -- that was a question.

As long as a program does what I want, it is modern to me. :p

You totally lost me there by your post count! The "Modern UI" designation is so commonly used in Windows 8 news/threads, I assumed you knew.

sanke1, on 30 Aug 2013 - 14:32, said:sanke1, on 30 Aug 2013 - 14:32, said:

I don't use any modern apps. I would use them if they opened like any normal desktop apps which could be minimized/maximized/resized. They should minimize on the taskbar. Even in Windows 8.1, the Modern apps are completely unusable. 

Have to disagree on 8.1. Resizing is much better and you can minimize apps even in Windows 8, they're on the multitasking menu to the left...

Yes

• Lync (Most Excellent)
  • Package Tracker
  • Remote Desktop
  • Netflix
  • Xbox Video (for my Investigation Discovery Crime TV fix)
  • Internet Explroer (rarely)
  • Several Games (the Harvest, Halo: Spartan Assault, Pinball FX2, Cut the Rope, the Core games)
  • Might switch to using the Mail App in 8.1 for either Outlook.com or my corporate Outlook. Don't like having both in 2013, send from wrong account too often.)

Yes... I use the following regularly on the desktop:

Khan Academy (a great app), SkyScanner, a password manager app (KeePass compatible), Craigslist+ (unlike the web site, it gives you previews for all items), Weather Bug

On tablets, several more.

For the record, Microsoft only used the term "Modern"  temporarily. They then started to refer to Metro applications as "Windows Store apps" or "Windows 8 apps" which use the "Microsoft design language"

You totally lost me there by your post count! The "Modern UI" designation is so commonly used in Windows 8 news/threads, I assumed you knew.

I use Classic Windows 7 :p

For the record, Microsoft only used the term "Modern"  temporarily. They then started to refer to Metro applications as "Windows Store apps" or "Windows 8 apps" which use the "Microsoft design language"

Oh Microsoft...

I do:

• Weatherbug
  • Jetpack Joyride
  • News
  • TrackSeries
  • Mail (not for my primary account; I have Outlook for that)

I was really trying to force myself to use modern apps in the beginning (beginning = "testing" Win8 from consumer preview) up until a few months ago, but i just couldn't anymore even though i am a big fan of metro/modern.

The functionality is not there and most of them lack major features when compared to their desktop equivalent. Simply put, the majority of them is rubbish.

They have nice design though.

Oh Microsoft...

To be fair to them, Metro was the perfect name for the design language. Easy to remember and it described the design perfectly.  That and the fact that they'd been using the name for so many years with Windows Phone must have lead to a fair amount of confusion when they were forced to find a new name.  I know I find it difficult to call it anything but Metro.

• Like 3

Some list Skydrive when its integrated IN Explorer?

Not a one for me, though I can understand Skype for some.  I use quite a few on my slate however.  Different tools...

Many being overly liberal with 'use' is why the poll numbers are high.

Some list Skydrive when its integrated IN Explorer?

Not a one for me, though I can understand Skype for some.  I use quite a few on my slate however.  Different tools...

Skydrive is only integrated into Explorer if you have the desktop app installed or are running 8.1.

SigFig, ScriptCop, NextGen Reader, Kindle, Bing Sports

I'm curious, if you have Windows 8 installed on a PC and not a Tablet, do you use any of the Modern Apps?

Since I installed the Windows 8.1 Preview I've had the weather app pinned to my start screen for eye candy, that's it.

I used to play the Jetpack Joyride and Shark Dash games when I first upgraded to Windows 8. I also had installed a fair few apps over the months but never found the need to use any of them.

Just curious as to what Modern Apps other people find useful on an actual PC?

Yes I use metro apps though most for notifications and some for basic use like reading, tweeting, etc.. Others make my start menu look 'productive'... well to fill up the startscreen anyway :P The ones I use are Skype, Mail, Weather, Weatherflow, Asparion Clock, News App, News Bento, SocialNV, Twitter, LINE, Metrotube, Onenote and the Xbox Games App. For games Jetpack Joyride, Gravity Guy, Fruit Ninja and Majong. 

Yes I use metro apps though most for notifications and some for basic use like reading, tweeting, etc.. Others make my start menu look 'productive'... well to fill up the startscreen anyway :p The ones I use are Skype, Mail, Weather, Weatherflow, Asparion Clock, News App, News Bento, SocialNV, Twitter, LINE, Metrotube, Onenote and the Xbox Games App. For games Jetpack Joyride, Gravity Guy, Fruit Ninja and Majong. 

How do you play Fruit Ninja on a desktop/laptop?