Do you use any Modern Apps?

182 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use any Modern Apps on a Desktop PC?

• Yes
    • No

First thing I do on any Windows 8 PC is uninstall all the Metro apps, install StartIsBack, and disable the hot corners. It's simply striking how easier this OS is to use once you strip it of all the elements Microsoft is trying to push as the "modern" way of doing stuff - and yes I initially went for a month with the Start Screen: a lesson learned, not going there again. It's really scary how delusional some people at the head of the Windows division are.

Excellent instructions on how to fix Windows 8. We just need a way to get rid of the residual Metro nonsense like the Wireless Networks and Win+P menu.

Yes.

I use Xbox Music, Calendar, Mail, News, People and a few bought games.

Sometimes I will use Modern IE for web development because it zooms right out automatically when you snap it to the side.

I use Mail for Google Mail only though.  Outlook 2013 for everything else.

I tried Skype but I went back to the desktop version because running both confused it.

Oh yeah, and the Desktop app. :shiftyninja:

yes mail , people app mainly for twitter feeds, twitter , calender, weather, bing news, skydrive, primetube, xbox music, photo app, ted, tunein, podcasts xbox games, reddhub and many more

they arent powerful as desktop apps but they are useable for simple tasks

i use metro apps for calander reminders and events it helps with the on screen popup even in desktop mode, news is good for reading whats happening but other then that i dont use many and lastly the weather app :p

Though I use a Surface Pro at work, I use it with a Type Cover, mouse, and an additional 21" 1080P display whenever I am at my desk in the office. And I am constantly using Modern apps. IE, Mail, News, RDP, Skype, SkyDrive, People, Twitter, IM+ Pro, OneNote, Nextgen Reader, YouTube RT, PRadio, Package Tracker, Calendar, and Weather are used daily.

On the desktop, I'll use IE whenever I need ActiveX (LogMeIn), LogMeIn Rescue Desktop, Office 2013, PowerShell, and my company's home grown software.

I use Mail, Music, Weather, and occasionally Calendar of the default apps.

I was using IM+ Pro, it worked well at first but now it seems very broken.  Perhaps they're building for 8.1, or they just can't be arsed, I have no idea.

Newseen.

Skulls of the Shogun is on but I rarely play it since I don't really do turn based much.  Team Crossword is cool but I'd need someone to play it with.

Skype is on mostly because I'll be using it with my Xbox One, even though I find Skype in WinRT or the desktop ugly as hell.

No,  they have no purpose for me,  I use the desktop or web based things for what i need.

IF I had a tablet,  I would use the apps.   Being on a desktop, non touchsceen, I don't need them.  I constantly click bottom left and forgetting there is no start menu there.

Yes.

1) Random Password Generator

2) Steam Tile

3) Cocktail Flow

4) XE.com

However, I have to say that I'm not a great fan of the Metro interface. It just doesn't fit in well to my daily workflow. Transitioning between desktop and Metro apps is rather awkward and tedious.

^That's idiotic. That's just blind hate.

You lose nothing in having Live Tiles showing new messages, e-mails or even something as insignificant weather conditions.

And I gain nothing either. Why would I waste CPU cycles and consume data to update tiles I don't care about?

I find myself using the Start Screen (currently on 8.1 Preview) at more of an information hub, I love the live tiles and notifications for apps like News, Weather, Mail, Skype, Reddit To Go, Nextgen Reader etc. And I use all those apps fairly regularly. Other apps I use on a less regular basis but still find really useful are things like Twitter, Reddit Filmstrip, Watchlist (which syncs with my trakt.tv account), Channel 9, HackerNews, Latermark, Wallbase, TuneIn Radio, Audials Radio, Xbox Music. I also love a few of the games such as Bejeweled Live, Halo, Rayman etc and I have all my Steam games pinned with custom tile artwork using an app called Pin Steam.

The vast majority of my usage of the machine will always remain on the desktop side of things, but the metro side is becoming a worthwhile and useful companion to that. I think the biggest problem that Microsoft and devs need to address is a) The severe lack of quality discoverable apps in the store and b) the quality in general of most metro apps is vastly below that of their counterparts on other platforms. Im not sure whether this is due to the way the WinRT platform is designed or whether its down to the developers. Until those issues are solved or at least become less of an issue, I can understand why some traditional desktop users prefer to stay away from metro stuff.

And I gain nothing either. Why would I waste CPU cycles and consume data to update tiles I don't care about?

Ok then. If you guys don't see anything useful in Live Tiles, who am I to say otherwise.

...to save "CPU cycles and consume data". Oh, the things you read about Windows 8...

If I was using one app at the time, maybe I could give Metro apps a chance, but since these apps are feature restricted compared to their desktop counterparts, and will allow for only 1 or 2 apps on the screen at the same time, I can't really see the purpose of them on desktop, especially on large high res monitors.

Sometimes I launch the mail app because it's right there when you log in. Other than that I don't think those are really usable at all even with a touchscreen monitor. Oh, I did try Skype once but it didn't ever display any notifications so I installed the desktop version.

The Calendar app is great, especially with multiple Calendars and especially snapped.

Not so far i'm always in desktop mode and using Start8.

Dual Monitors help.

Mail, Music, Skydrive, Skype, Nook.  Note that I don't use any of them very frequently; I use my phone primarily for my email now, I hardly ever Skype anybody these days, and I usually use my Nook HD+ for reading ebooks, though I like the app on my PC much better than the Android app and I might ditch the Nook if I ever get a Surface.