"Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015

The definition of a concept car went right over your head, didn't it?

"Concept cars never go into production directly. In modern times all would have to undergo many changes before the design is finalized for the sake of practicality, safety, the meeting the burden of regulatory compliance, and cost. A "production-intent" vehicle, as opposed to a concept vehicle, serves this purpose."

Obviously, if it was mass produced, things would be reconfigured for use.

And the changes the pointing-device-driven users want is that they want their bias back.

"Concept cars never go into production directly. In modern times all would have to undergo many changes before the design is finalized for the sake of practicality, safety, the meeting the burden of regulatory compliance, and cost. A "production-intent" vehicle, as opposed to a concept vehicle, serves this purpose."

Obviously, if it was mass produced, things would be reconfigured for use. I could point out a nice BMW concept too, that doesn't have doors. The initial picture was meant to be something modern and forward looking, but this conversation went sour fast.

No no no.

This is the part where you should be telling us that doors are an old outdated concept and that climbing all over the car like a monkey is "the future of motoring".

And how anyone that prefers doors is just resistant to change.

No no no.

This is the part where you should be telling us that doors are an old outdated concept and that climbing all over the car like a monkey is "the future of motoring".

Frankly I find climbing over a car to get into it less asinine than closing a stupid Metro app by clicking the top of my screen and dragging the cursor down to the bottom.

No no no.

QFT

The poor little 90 year old grandma that can't crawl over the car like a monkey but be resistant to change :D

QFT

The poor little 90 year old grandma that can't crawl over the car like a monkey but be resistant to change :D

And why wouldn't that be true?

Those that are resistant to change are, in fact, resistant to change - never mind the why.

The why of it may be different for any particular subset OF those resisting the change; however, it makes their resistance of it no less true..

Those that are resistant to change are, in fact, resistant to change - never mind the why.

The why of it may be different for any particular subset OF those resisting the change; however, it makes their resistance of it no less true..

No they just don't like climbing over their car door like a fracking monkey! :laugh:

Governments should instate legislation banning touchscreens, and make it a legal requirement that all computing devices (I.e. Phones) have to have an attached desktop PC style keyboard and mouse.

Sounds pretty absurd right? Pfeh, doesn't matter - you're just resistant to change.

Governments should instate legislation banning touchscreens, and make it a legal requirement that all computing devices (I.e. Phones) have to have an attached desktop PC style keyboard and mouse.

Sounds pretty absurd right? Pfeh, doesn't matter - you're just resistant to change.

Athernar - most of those insisting on that pointing-device-bias would likely be in favor of exactly such a requirement, as silly as it sounds.

As much as I loathe virtual keyboards (and as indifferent as I am to touch support), I am NOT in favor of outright banning (or binning) such usage altogether - in any OS, let alone Windows.

Tell me, honestly - how is the desktop broken other than it not being biased toward pointing devices?

I haven't noticed ANY lack of usability in what desktop applications, games, etc. I use in Windows 8.1 every day - desktop applications could care less about the Start menu being missing.

I still have a pronounced skew toward desktop applications and games - therefore I'm asking that question with a straight face.

That's not what I meant. I like the Start Screen, I'm not a complainer. I mean bringing WinRT (the API) to the desktop, so Desktop apps could use better UI (promised with WPF) and can be sold through the Windows Store. In short, if they're keeping the Desktop, the Desktop needs to be modernized.

If the Desktop is truly legacy, then they should just say that but if they plan on keeping it, they need to improve it and not ignore it while working on improving the Start Screen.

Athernar - most of those insisting on that pointing-device-bias would likely be in favor of exactly such a requirement, as silly as it sounds.

As much as I loathe virtual keyboards (and as indifferent as I am to touch support), I am NOT in favor of outright banning (or binning) such usage altogether - in any OS, let alone Windows.

Do you know why it sounds silly? Because no one would be in favour of that at all - not even the most diehard "Windows XP excites my special place"-esque user would think that.

I don't even know where you get these bizarre notions from.

Obviously, if it was mass produced, things would be reconfigured for use. I could point out a nice BMW concept too, that doesn't have doors. The initial picture was meant to be something modern and forward looking, but this conversation went sour fast.

So in other words, Windows 8 is still in the alpha testing stage? I completely agree. 

I'd really like to know what you people are going to do when 10-20 years from now, the classic UI is no longer part of your day.

Run Linux.

Serious question: What does this "lol" mean? lol you just totally trolled DM or lol I'm not intelligent enough to figure out how an os works therefore it sucks?

I think it's a case of "lol look how many android devices there are and how few run WP8 lol NT rekt".

Serious question: What does this "lol" mean? lol you just totally trolled DM or lol I'm not intelligent enough to figure out how an os works therefore it sucks?

I think it's a case of "lol look how many android devices there are and how few run WP8 lol NT rekt".

It's a case of Linux already being a backwards thinking OS. Imagine how backwards it'll be in 2020.

It's a case of Linux already being a backwards thinking OS. Imagine how backwards it'll be in 2020.

Linux isn't an OS, it's a kernel.

GNU/Linux however is the future of computing, you just need to stop being resistant to change.

• Like 2

Neither really. More like an "Lol people have been implying that Linux will take off for literally decades and it's still no closer to being used by everyday people that make up 98% of the consumer market."

Much like windows 8.x with its flat, dull and uninspired looking start screen and its hostile user environment compared to windows 7 with it's friendly, shiny and easy environment.

Obviously microsoft is thinking backwards far more than linux.

• Like 3

Much like windows 8.x with its flat, dull and uninspired looking start screen and its hostile user environment compared to windows 7 with it's friendly, shiny and easy environment.

Obviously microsoft is thinking backwards far more than linux.

Again, lol. The comments in this thread are pretty rich.

Also if you find W8 difficult in any way, you're doing it wrong. My mom's workplace upgraded to W8 and she managed to figure out how to use it just fine (to my surprise, tbh). She's not the most computer literate person. It's not hard or hostile unless you make it that way.

• Like 2

Again, lol. The comments in this thread are pretty rich.

Also if you find W8 difficult in any way, you're doing it wrong. My mom's workplace upgraded to W8 and she managed to figure out how to use it just fine (to my surprise, tbh). She's not the most computer literate person. It's not hard or hostile unless you make it that way.

The irony in this post is hilarious.

If you find GNU/Linux difficult in any way, you're doing it wrong.

• Like 3

Alright, this thread has fallen apart, about time to close it up. Once you guys start making silly attacks against Win 8, Linux, etc, its over.

The last few pages offer little if any useful info or suggestions, just people talking about how great Linux is, or how its a joke, or how utterly terrible 8 is and all sorts of just crap throwing. Can't control yourselves. The way you guys act is what is really backwards.

There's no "bashing" about it, simply stating a documented fact.

I don't deny the facts, but its clear you guys take it far beyond that. Don't shy away from it. Your in the majority here. This place that has been called so pro-MS is anything but from what I have seen.

• Like 2

Do you know why it sounds silly? Because no one would be in favour of that at all - not even the most diehard "Windows XP excites my special place"-esque user would think that.

I don't even know where you get these bizarre notions from.

Athernar - you may not think so, but it is surprising exactly how many otherwise sane folks have a silly and quite extreme bent toward an idea that others simply dismiss.

Remember - as many eggs short of an egg sandwich Hitler was (and it was evident enough merely from the "Beer Hall Putsch" - where he was arrested/convicted and jailed), he would STILL get elected chancellor of Germany.

Athernar - you may not think so, but it is surprising exactly how many otherwise sane folks have a silly and quite extreme bent toward an idea that others simply dismiss.

Remember - as many eggs short of an egg sandwich Hitler was (and it was evident enough merely from the "Beer Hall Putsch" - where he was arrested/convicted and jailed), he would STILL get elected chancellor of Germany.

Oh, and exactly how many is that? Do you have any numbers?

Interesting.  Hopefully MS listens to their customers and makes some changes for the better.  I didnt care much for Windows 8 but I liked the changes in 8.1 and why when I ordered my new system at work, I installed 8.1.

lets play a game and see if anyone can put 2 and 2 together

Microsoft restructures into One Microsoft, transforming into a devices and services company(where is software??)

Microsoft purchases nokias phone hardware division

Microsoft builds their own computers

Microsoft builds new API and UI in OS,same for phone,pc,xbox(interesting,3 things they will sell)

Default landing UI in Windows is Metro

"Windows" now by default refers to Metro and not desktop

Microsoft turning their software into subscription services hosted in the cloud (ex:office)

Microsoft offering their software and services on multi platforms

Microsoft kills off TechNet and maybe soon TechEd

Bonus question:

Will Microsoft still be selling copies of windows in 5 years?