Formula 1 World Championship 2014 Season Discussion

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the 2014 World Driver's Championship?

• Sebastian Vettel
    • Daniel Ricciardo
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Kimi Raikkonen
    • Romain Grosjean
    • Pastor Maldonado
    • Jenson Button
    • Kevin Magnussen
    • Nico Hulkenberg
    • Sergio Perez
    • Adrian Sutil
    • Esteban Gutierrez
    • Jean-Eric Vergne
    • Daniil Kvyat
    • Felipe Massa
    • Valterri Bottas
    • Jules Bianchi
    • Max Chilton
    • Kamui Kobayashi
    • Marcus Ericsson
  2. 2. Who do you think will win the World Constructor's Championship?

• Infiniti Red Bull Racing
    • Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
    • Scuderia Ferrari
    • Lotus F1 Team
    • McLaren Mercedes
    • Sahara Force India F1 Team
    • Sauber F1 Team
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso
    • Williams Martini Racing
    • Marussia F1 Team
    • Caterham F1 Team

I really don't mind the new sound, at least while watching tv, i'll tell you what i think of the sound in person after the Canadian GP.

I like that we can hear other stuff snow, like the tire when the lock up the brakes.

I'm fine with the new engine sounds, though I've only heard them on TV. Now you can actually hear the squeal of the tires as they pull away from pit stops. The last time I went to a Grand Prix was Belgium a few years back and it required earplugs - you could hear the cars from miles away. This year I'm hoping to get out to at least one race, possibly Italy, and then I'll be in a better position to judge the difference. Personally I think the sport needed to move forward with fuel efficiency and if that has resulted in quieter engines then so be it. This season has barely begun and it's already shaping up to be one of the most exciting in recent history - the pre-season build-up was unlike any other I've known, thanks in large part to Sky's excellent coverage.

PS - I love all the whirring and whistling coming from the cars because of the ERS. The Ferrari cooldown sound is awesome.

• Like 2

I'm fine with the new engine sounds, though I've only heard them on TV. Now you can actually hear the squeal of the tires as they pull away from pit stops. The last time I went to a Grand Prix was Belgium a few years back and it required earplugs - you could hear the cars from miles away. This year I'm hoping to get out to at least one race, possibly Italy, and then I'll be in a better position to judge the difference. Personally I think the sport needed to move forward with fuel efficiency and if that has resulted in quieter engines then so be it. This season has barely begun and it's already shaping up to be one of the most exciting in recent history - the pre-season build-up was unlike any other I've known, thanks in large part to Sky's excellent coverage.

PS - I love all the whirring and whistling coming from the cars because of the ERS. The Ferrari cooldown sound is awesome.

+1 I'm not sure what all the fuss is about as a TV viewer infact i think less engine noise is a bonus for us, its much more involving to hear the turbo spin up.down, tire squeal etc etc....rather than the monotone engine noise constantly......And nobody is moaning about this in Formula-E and that really is getting some steam behind it now with big name drivers wanting a piece of the action.

But it has always been this way with F1 for being at the bleeding edge of engineering Berni & co. are positively archaic in some of their thought patterns, if they had there way we'd still be watching V12's! I want a relevant modern F1, not some blast from the past [engine] that no one uses or cares about anymore

• Like 1

My girlfriend doesn't understand why someone (me) would skip going out on Saturday night so I can get up very early Sunday morning to watch most of the races. Very few are at an acceptable time in Canada.

I do hope its a wet race tomorrow, tho im abit shocked Vettel managed to place 2nd in qually 

post-1302-0-99660700-1396172993.png

Man of the race: Lewis Hamilton - flawless drive.

Reject of the race: The RBR pit crew for buggering up Ricciardo's pit stop and in the end the race.

Massa defends decision to disobey team orders

Felipe Massa defended his decision to ignore orders from Williams to let his team mate overtake him in the closing stages of the race.

Massa was leading Valtteri Bottas in the closing stages when Williams repeatedly told him to let his team mate past.

Among the messages given to Massa were ?Valtteri?s got better tyres we need to let him go? and ?Felipe you?re slower than Valtteri, let him past?. Meanwhile Bottas was being told ?You?re faster than Felipe, overtake him.?

However Massa refused to give up the position and finished the race ahead of his team mate.

?I think I did the best I could with my race,? he told reporters afterwards. ?I was fighting to the end and my target was to score as many points for the team and me. We?re only in the second race.?

The pair were following Jenson Button and Williams wanted to release Bottas so he could go after the McLaren.

?Valtteri couldn?t pass me so it was going to be difficult to pass Jenson as well,? said Massa. ?I don?t think that would?ve changed.?

Bottas disagreed, saying ?I think there was a really good chance for me to get Jenson?, but did not comment on Massa?s refusal to let him by.

Williams eventually told both drivers to cool their engines and instructed Bottas to hold position, telling him: ?We really need to cool the car, no overtake.?

Asked whether it had been unfair of him to disobey the team?s instruction Massa said: ?Is it fair to do the best we can??

?We have two championships, I respect my job, we need to respect each other.?

Source: F1 Fanatic

Ricciardo gets ten-place grid drop

Daniel Ricciardo will be moved back ten places on the grid for the Bahrain Grand Prix.

The team were given the penalty after Ricciardo was released from his pit box with the front-left wheel not attached properly.

Ricciardo was also given a ten second stop and go penalty during the race, which he did not finish.

Bed Bull remain under investigation by the stewards as a member of their team was observed not to be wearing protective headgear during Ricciardo?s stop.

Source: F1 Fanatic

Massa was right and Lewis Hamilton is tha Daddy!

I'm not a huge fan of F1, but Massa was right.  If the other guy is quicker, then let him overtake in the race and not by team orders.

I wasn't a fan of the whole don't-let-your-teammate-past-when-you're-told-to thing when Vettel did it, and I'm still not a fan of it with Massa doing it. It doesn't matter that Bottas wasn't able to get past Massa, Jenson Button isn't Felipe Massa - you can't say he wouldn't have got past Button.

The real issue I have with it though is that had Bottas managed ti get past Button then that's fine, he clearly would have been faster. However, if he hadn't got past, then they can just switch them back on the last lap and it's no harm done. Instead, Massa endangered two top-10 finishes for Williams, a team who are in rebuild-mode, and who brought him in to be a sensible, level-headed veteran to help them.

If he lets Bottas past, the worst-case scenario is that they have to swap back and they finish up in the same positions, and the best-case is that Bottas passes Button and picks up more points. Instead, he chose an option where the best-case is that they end up as they are, and the worst-case is that they both hit each other and DNF. That's not good racecraft.

I wasn't a fan of the whole don't-let-your-teammate-past-when-you're-told-to thing when Vettel did it, and I'm still not a fan of it with Massa doing it. It doesn't matter that Bottas wasn't able to get past Massa, Jenson Button isn't Felipe Massa - you can't say he wouldn't have got past Button.

The real issue I have with it though is that had Bottas managed ti get past Button then that's fine, he clearly would have been faster. However, if he hadn't got past, then they can just switch them back on the last lap and it's no harm done. Instead, Massa endangered two top-10 finishes for Williams, a team who are in rebuild-mode, and who brought him in to be a sensible, level-headed veteran to help them.

If he lets Bottas past, the worst-case scenario is that they have to swap back and they finish up in the same positions, and the best-case is that Bottas passes Button and picks up more points. Instead, he chose an option where the best-case is that they end up as they are, and the worst-case is that they both hit each other and DNF. That's not good racecraft.

I don't agree with that.  If you are the faster driver, you overtake whoever is in front.  You can't ask other teams to let you by because you are faster.

Saying " he's faster than you, let him past" is ######.  If he is faster than you, he will(should) get past.  If he doesn't, then he isn't faster.

I agree with that. There should be no teams orders, just a warning to both drivers that they're racing each other and to take extra care.

Massa was right, if he let Bottas through he wouldn't have caught Button. Even if he did, he would have had to get round him. If he was that much quicker, he should have done him in the DRS zone.

I don't agree with that.  If you are the faster driver, you overtake whoever is in front.  You can't ask other teams to let you by because you are faster.

Saying " he's faster than you, let him past" is ########.  If he is faster than you, he will(should) get past.  If he doesn't, then he isn't faster.

That's all very well and good, but what if your faster driver sends it up the inside of a corner, slightly misjudges his braking and ... oops, goodbye ten points. The whole "he's faster" interestingly doesn't really come into the logic and tactics of the situation. Massa had shown for several laps that he couldn't close up on Button. The best thing from the team's perspective is to see if their other driver can. Even if he can't, they can just orchestrate the switch-back on the last lap, and they get the same result with none of the risk.

I'm personally against team orders, but if they're allowed, the team will want to utilise them in the best possible way. This is the best possible way, and what Massa chose to do was the worst possible way for the team.

That's all very well and good, but what if your faster driver sends it up the inside of a corner, slightly misjudges his braking and ... oops, goodbye ten points. The whole "he's faster" interestingly doesn't really come into the logic and tactics of the situation. Massa had shown for several laps that he couldn't close up on Button. The best thing from the team's perspective is to see if their other driver can. Even if he can't, they can just orchestrate the switch-back on the last lap, and they get the same result with none of the risk.

I'm personally against team orders, but if they're allowed, the team will want to utilise them in the best possible way. This is the best possible way, and what Massa chose to do was the worst possible way for the team.

###### happens, it's called racing.  If you are faster, prove it.

I can understand the situation if we were in the closing stages of the Championship, but not in the second race.

3 points in race #2 are worth just as much as 3 points in the last race ;) OK, so you don't know for sure that it'll come into play, but if Williams miss out on a +1 in the Constructor's because of it, they know exactly who cost them a couple of points where. That's a lot of money at the end of the year.