Formula 1 World Championship 2014 Season Discussion

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the 2014 World Driver's Championship?

• Sebastian Vettel
    • Daniel Ricciardo
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Kimi Raikkonen
    • Romain Grosjean
    • Pastor Maldonado
    • Jenson Button
    • Kevin Magnussen
    • Nico Hulkenberg
    • Sergio Perez
    • Adrian Sutil
    • Esteban Gutierrez
    • Jean-Eric Vergne
    • Daniil Kvyat
    • Felipe Massa
    • Valterri Bottas
    • Jules Bianchi
    • Max Chilton
    • Kamui Kobayashi
    • Marcus Ericsson
  2. 2. Who do you think will win the World Constructor's Championship?

• Infiniti Red Bull Racing
    • Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
    • Scuderia Ferrari
    • Lotus F1 Team
    • McLaren Mercedes
    • Sahara Force India F1 Team
    • Sauber F1 Team
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso
    • Williams Martini Racing
    • Marussia F1 Team
    • Caterham F1 Team

Just a quick question, am I the only person on here who couldn't care less about F1 anymore?

I use to love F1, went to Silverstone 4 times on a trot, would never miss a race.  This season I've only seen 1 race and just generally bored of all the politics that come with it, as it's no longer racing anymore.

Anyone else in the same boat? 

Just a quick question, am I the only person on here who couldn't care less about F1 anymore?

I use to love F1, went to Silverstone 4 times on a trot, would never miss a race.  This season I've only seen 1 race and just generally bored of all the politics that come with it, as it's no longer racing anymore.

same here. my interest in f1 has gone downhill over the last few years. i still watch the races, but just.

same here. my interest in f1 has gone downhill over the last few years. i still watch the races, but just.

did you guys watch the bahrain GP 2 weeks ago? fantastic wheel to wheel action -- team mates allowed to race each other pretty much throughout the pack! what can be more exciting than that?

• Like 1

post-1302-0-86672600-1397983713.png

Man of the race: There are two for me this time - Lewis Hamilton for a flawless performance, and Daniel Ricciardo for once more beating Sebastian Vettel by a large margin.

Reject of the race: The marshal who waved the chequered flag one lap early.

• Like 2

This has been one of the most exciting seasons in a long while, thanks in large part to the major technical changes. Certainly it looks like Hamilton will win the championship, so it's not as competitive as I would have liked, but that's really little different to the previous years where Vettel did the same.

I'm loving the 2014 season.

that was well boring. :|  with so many drs and power differences this year, reverse grids could be worth a try i think.

Man of the race: There are two for me this time - Lewis Hamilton for a flawless performance, and Daniel Ricciardo for once more beating Sebastian Vettel by a large margin.

Alonso, for bringing that Ferrari to third place.

It's amusing to see Seb getting roundly beaten and chucking his toys out of the pram in the process.

And those fools that think Lewis is winning easily because he has the best car, watch a re-run of the Bahrain GP and marvel at your ignorance.

• Like 2

Spot on Seb is looking less the amazing champ with every beating buy a new guy in the same machinery 

Well done Daniel! keep smiling and keep beating Seb :D

Special mention to Alonso, boy can that dude drive but why-o-why can't he have a decent car 

After the past few years, it's refreshing to not see Vettel absolutely dominating. In the last two races, Vettel has been outclassed by Ricciardo, which is pretty amusing, to say the least.

Also, Mercedes has really done their homework with this car. Unless other teams step up their game, Mercedes are going to run away with things this year, just like Red Bull has done the past two seasons. I have a feeling everyone will be fighting for second place in the constructors' championship this year.

• Like 1

Hamilton looks like a lock for the WDC this season, and F1 looks like a lock to win as well. Thanks to Mercedes allowing the drivers to race, it's set to stay interesting even when the Mercs get out front.

Man of the race - Rosberg for the recovery through the pack after his bad start and then impact with the Williams (and no telemetry).

Honorable mention - Pastor Maldonado for NOT hitting someone else this time.

Reject of the race - Vettel for having such a tantrum. I said it a couple of weeks ago with Massa and I'll say it again; the driver should be following team orders in most situations. Vettel held his teammate up even though his teammate was overtaking him on a 2-stop while SV was on a 3-stop. That's exactly why he should have listened and trusted his team.

• Like 1

Well I missed the days when F1 cars didn't sound like golf carts :-)

I've always been of the opinion that F1 needs to be the most technically advanced form of motorsport, not the loudest. And these new cars are very advanced. What's more the reliability the teams are getting is very impressive.

Well I missed the days when F1 cars didn't sound like golf carts :-)

The cars sound better than ever to me. They don't need to be loud to be impressive. The cars are 40% more fuel efficient than last year and despite the reduced downforce are actually faster than ever - that's a technological marvel. If that means quieter cars then so be it.

The main thing about the new engines is shown in the below image. F1 is becoming relevant in the auto industry once again.

HXwlGs2.jpg

• Like 2

In total the merc is only producing ~50 BHP or so less than it produced when they were using V10 engines, and using substantially less fuel. I think that's a damn impressive feat of engineering

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Nigel Stepney. :wacko: He wanted to write a book about what really happend in 2007, it never happend and now he took all his secrets to the grave...

Red Bull Formula 1 team set for Renault engine boost for Spanish GP

The Red Bull Formula 1 team's hopes of launching a serious challenge on Mercedes from the Spanish Grand Prix have received a boost, with engine supplier Renault expecting 'promising' progress.

The reigning F1 champion outfit has struggled with a power deficit against pacesetter Mercedes so far this year, but still thinks it can make the steps needed to get itself back in the title hunt.

Following a rapid recovery from testing woes by Renault, and with the RB10 chassis having shown itself to be so strong, even small steps could be enough for it to cause a big headache for Mercedes.

So with the next tracks in Spain and Monaco not being so power dependent and therefore better playing to the strengths of the Red Bull package, the upbeat talk from Renault could be significant.

Remi Taffin, Renault's head of track operations, said: "I would not say optimism, as we are still on realism.

"But it is fair to say that coming into Barcelona or Monaco, they are not going to be massively power sensitive.

"They are energy sensitive, though, so in the race it is always going to be important to have the power unit working right.

"But ahead of Montreal we want to have something that is very close to 100 per cent.

"All in all, it is looking promising. But we mustn't forget about reliability.

"However, I think Renault has never been as pushy as we are at the minute looking at reliability."

Software tweaks key

Even though F1's current power units are homologated, Taffin thinks that decent improvements are still possible.

That is because a great deal of laptime comes not from the out-and-out power of the turbo engine, but from better management of F1's new energy recovery systems.

"Performance is going to come from software evolution, and a bit coming from the hardware," he said.

"If we solve some issues we have got on the V6 for example, then you can maybe take a bit more out of it.

"If you unlock something, it gives you a double or triple effect. It is the way the power unit is being run these days."

However, other areas - like fuel performance - could become more important over the remainder of the season.

"There is more than just the V6 turbo and electrical machine to get performance out of the power unit," added Taffin.

"We can talk about oil, and we can discuss about fuel. We still have a good work in progress with Total in terms of fuel, so definitely there is more to come."

Source: Autosport

If Lewis Hamilton didn't have the problem in the Australian Grand Prix, I reckon he would win every Grand Prix this season.

given a normal race, this weekend will be another mercedes 1-2 with hami probably winning it. it also shows that this years mercedes is something like the williams in 92 or ferrari in 2002 or 2004 where even a mediocre teammate can win/finish 2nd everytime.

hami should win this years wdc also because i would love to see alonsos reaction, if he is still so friendly with him or not anymore after he matches the ammount of titles. :laugh:

So much for the merc lacking downforce. Ominous pace from Hamilton again here.