5 Million Gmail Passwords Leaked, Check Yours Now

Draconian Guppy

According to the Daily Dot, nearly 5 million usernames and passwords to Gmail accounts have been leaked on a Russian Bitcoin forum. Here's what you should know.

The list has since been taken down, and there's no evidence that Gmail itself was hacked?just that these passwords have been leaked. Most sources are saying that lots of the information is quite old, so chances are they were leaked long ago?though others are claiming 60% of the passwords are still valid (not to mention really, really horrible).

Update: Looks like the IsLeaked tool is having some trouble due to unusually high traffic?if you get an error message, try reloading the page or checking back later.

Update 2: We still aren't sure how these passwords were leaked or when?but some folks over on Reddit discovered that these may not, in fact, be Gmail passwords, but passwords leaked from other web sites over the years that were associated with Gmail addresses. And, as we know, many people used the same password for multiple accounts?which is why some of you may find that your old Gmail password was leaked (while others are seeing passwords not from Gmail).

We still don't know the full details, but the lesson remains the same: stay safe out there!

Sauce:

+Zlip792

Already checked, mine didn't.

Geoffrey B.

found a copy that had stripped out the passwords and only had email addresses, checked everyone in my address book and none of them were on it

Draconian Guppy

Site to check:

https://isleaked.com/en.php

found a copy that had stripped out the passwords and only had email addresses, checked everyone in my address book and none of them were on it

Please share so I can search mine?

crap:

Is my email leaked?

More than 5 million passwords of Google accounts has been leaked[ru] today. Check your account in database.

Yes! There is 2 matches in database! Immediately change your password!

- See more at: https://isleaked.com/en.php#sthash.Pzv7KVf8.dpuf

+Zlip792

Site to check:

https://isleaked.com/en.php

Please share so I can search mine?

crap:

Is my email leaked?

More than 5 million passwords of Google accounts has been leaked[ru] today. Check your account in database.

Yes! There is 2 matches in database! Immediately change your password!

- See more at: https://isleaked.com/en.php#sthash.Pzv7KVf8.dpuf

Download from: https://mega.co.nz/#!ewU1wCKA!P52rdL5tMcugRxi8ALyZlGnfE_KSB4pERGIJjsPsyCQ

shared here: http://www.ghacks.net/2014/09/10/find-out-if-your-gmail-password-was-stolen/

simonlang

###### russia! :angry:

my mail was in the list. only the backup old mail i don't use that often but still ....

DConnell

Mine wasn't on the list, but I changed my password recently anyway.

• Like 1
Max Norris

Doh.

Not on the list either, but better safe than sorry, generated another random one, been a while anyway.

• Like 1
Draconian Guppy

Mine isn't on the list, but scary how random emails related to my are.  Creepy.

metallithrax

Mine is on the list, but with an old password - probably 2-3 years old.

LimeMaster

Even know it claims mine wasn't leaked I still changed mine anyway. Didn't want to take any chances.

• Like 2
simonlang

Even know it claims mine wasn't leaked I still changed mine anyway. Didn't want to take any chances.

probably the best way dealing with this. never trust the russians! :)

• Like 1
Boo Berry

Mine wasn't on the list, but I changed mine anyways. You should should enable two-factor authentication if you can.

Draconian Guppy

Was the password your old gmail password?

Some sites claims it's not gmail passwords, but rather sites  where the email was used. Eg if I used it on neowin, the password leaked would be the one associated with neowin? (As an example, according to lifehacker anyway)

LimeMaster

probably the best way dealing with this. never trust the russians! :)

Yup, especially those busty Russian woman who are apparently in everyone's area. :laugh:

simonlang

Yup, especially those busty Russian woman who are apparently in everyone's area. :laugh:

they are all the same. would even suspect they could have released a false positive list so that everyone changes their password to a very actual one and then they hack it again.

Pupik

Same with mine. Going to be interesting to find out from where the leak came and why it's so old.

ichi

Not on the list, and I have two-step authentication anyway.

metallithrax

Was the password your old gmail password?

Some sites claims it's not gmail passwords, but rather sites  where the email was used. Eg if I used it on neowin, the password leaked would be the one associated with neowin? (As an example, according to lifehacker anyway)

Well, it says it started with the 1st 2 letters of one of the passwords I used for just about everywhere.  I used to use 2 passwords for just about everything - apart from ebay, paypal and others like that.  About 3-4 weeks ago I started using LastPass with random passwords for all sites, 2 factor authentication where possible, and grid to access LastPass.

LimeMaster

they are all the same. would even suspect they could have released a false positive list so that everyone changes their password to a very actual one and then they hack it again.

I would hope they were not that cunning. :s

+Audioboxer

Mine says its leaked but the first 2 characters it gives me are totally wrong?

simonlang

I would hope they were not that cunning. :s

me too, but just look at ukraine.

LimeMaster

me too, but just look at ukraine.

I guess, but I'd prefer to think positively rather than think I've walked right into a trap. 

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Gmail on the web now lets you resize the Chat and Rooms sections
      by Jay Bonggolto

Google recently introduced a major overhaul for Gmail for G Suite (now Google Workspace) users last year that merged video, chat, email, files, and tasks under a single roof. The integrated workspace experience allows you to access your chat conversations within an organization as well as your shared files and tasks.

Today, Google announced a new update for Chat and Rooms for Gmail on the web. The new experience now lets you resize the Chat and Rooms sections in the left-side navigation of Gmail.

Google says the latest update provides a faster way to keep track of your conversations and open certain chat windows. There's also a straightforward way to use the new resizing option. You can simply click on the header and adjust the size of a Chat or Room section by dragging according to your desired dimension.

The new capability is available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus customers. If you're using G Suite's Basic, Business, Education, Enterprise for Education, or Nonprofits version, you can also use the new update.

• By News Staff
      Save 97% off the Complete Google Master Class Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store where for only a limited time, you can save 97% off the Complete Google Master Class Bundle. Amp up your productivity and brand visibility with 35 hours of content on GSuite, Google Ads, Analytics, and other amazing apps.

This bundle consists of the following courses:

Ultimate Google Ads Training 2020: Profit with Pay Per Click
      Increase Your Pay Per Click Profitability on the World's Most Popular Advertising Platform G Suite – Google Docs Introduction: Increase Productivity
      Tips & Demo of G Suite Google Docs to Help You Save Time and Get More Tasks Done Google Trends for Insane Growth for Your Business & Brand
      Make Better Business Decisions by Using Tailored Solutions & Free Online Data Tools Marketing Analytics in Google Data Studio
      Use Google Data Studio & Work with Web Performance Data Efficiently By Earn and Excel Google Analytics Course
      Understand Methods & Techniques for Measuring, Monitoring & Analyzing Web Traffic

Google Analytics for Beginners: Hands-On Training Course
      Grow Your Business & Career with the Best-Selling Google Analytics Course and Hands-On Exercises

Google Analytics Certification: Become Certified & Earn More
      Become Google Analytics Certified to Land a Job, Get Promoted, or Start a New Career in Digital Marketing

Google Analytics
      Navigate & Gain Insight from Vast Amount of Data Found in Google Analytics

Google Docs Part Of G Suite: Learn Google Docs in 1 Day
      Master the Scope of Google Docs & See How Much Time You Can Save When Writing Documents

Google App – Gmail: Increase your Email Productivity
      15+ Tips to Save Time & Be More Productive with Your Emails

Good to know
      Length of time users can access after purchase: lifetime Certificate of completion included Updates Included Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For a full description, specs, and instructor info please click here.

Here's the deal:
      This Complete Google Master Class Bundle normally costs* $1,990 but it can be yours for just $39.99 for a limited time, that's a saving of $1,960.01 (97%) off the price.

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it here <<
      See all Online Courses on offer. This is a time limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out the following offers:

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $0.99 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off +3 months for free! Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By indospot
      Google services face outage, making it impossible to login [Update]
      by João Carrasqueira

Google services appear to be experiencing outages today, as account information fails to sync, or users are unable to login. We've been noticing issues syncing our Gmail inbox due to a connection error, marked with error code 2014.

The outage appears to be hitting more than one service, and affecting Google accounts in general. On devices not logged in, attempting to do so will result in an error stating the Google account could not be found. Devices that were previously logged in may be signed out if you visit them, with an error code 500 displayed went trying to sign back in.

It's unclear what could be causing the problems, and Google has yet to acknowledge any issues with its services. Meanwhile, DownDetector.com is showing numerous reports of outages in a wide range of services dependent on Google, including Pokémon GO, which uses Google accounts as a login method. Communication service Discord is also apparently affected by the outage.

It seems that the issue affects Google accounts more so than the services themselves, so things like YouTube and Google Search still work if you're not logged in.

Google has since acknowledged the widespread issues through the Team YouTube account on Twitter, saying the company is looking into it. However, a fix doesn't yet seem to be in sight.

Update: Services appear to slowly be coming back online, and we're able to login again. Some elements may still have some problems loading for now, with profile pictures and some thumbnails missing. Things should get back to normal over time.

Update 2: Everything seems to be functional again now, though Google has yet to confirm services are back online. Reports on Downdetector.com also seem to be declining.

Update 3: Google has confirmed the issues have been fixed and everything should be back to normal.

• By indospot
      Gmail now lets users edit Microsoft Office files in attachments
      by João Carrasqueira

Google has announced a handful of new capabilities for the tools in Google Workspace, formerly known as G Suite. The improvements are coming to Gmail, Google Docs, and Sheets, and they're rolling out today, for the most part.

The first notable improvement is related to Gmail, and it allows users to edit Microsoft Office files directly in Gmail, without converting them to Google Docs' file format. Google already lets users do this, but you'd have to open Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides to open the specific file you wanted. Now, you can open Office files directly from Gmail and edit them without changing their file format.

Additionally, Google is adding support for new formatting options in Docs. For example, the company is adding support for mixed page orientation documents on Google Docs, both for its own file format and Word documents. Next year, the company will also be adding the ability to insert images behind text, as well as watermarks.

Finally, for Excel users, there's yet another new capability - the Macro Converter add-on. If you typically use Excel macros and want to be able to work with them in Google Sheets, this add-on can help you convert the VBA code in Excel macros to Apps Script, which is used by Google's tool. You can install the add-on from the Google Workspace Marketplace.

• By News Staff
      Gmail - Quick Reference Guide - Free download
      by Steven Parker

Claim your Free Tips and Tricks Guide today, before this offer expires.

This Gmail reference provides shortcuts, tips, and tricks for this popular email provider.

Use this reference to brush up on the basics and to find alternative methods to your favorite commands. This printable quick reference is yours to use, distribute, and share at your organization!

Along with this free reference card, you will also receive more information from CustomGuide regarding their innovative interactive training and learning solutions to help improve the software skills of you and your staff for success in today's workplace.

How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last!

>> Gmail - Quick Reference Guide - Free download <<
      Offered by CustomGuide, view other free resources. Limited time offer.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.