Dopamine

Just now, jasondefaoite said:

How does the auto lyrics download work? I have it enabled under settings/online but it doesn't appear to be working.

If no lyrics appear, it probably didn't find lyrics for that artist/title combination. The source for the lyrics is http://lyrics.wikia.com/wiki/Lyrics_Wiki. You could try a manual search for that artist and title to verify if they have lyrics.

Thanks Raphaël.

Once enabled, does it scan the entire library at once, or only when I play a song does it attempt to perform a look up.

If it finds lyrics, does it embed them into the mp3/mp4 file?

Cheers!

1 hour ago, jasondefaoite said:

Thanks Raphaël.

Once enabled, does it scan the entire library at once, or only when I play a song does it attempt to perform a look up.

If it finds lyrics, does it embed them into the mp3/mp4 file?

Cheers!

It only performs a lookup when playing a song. Once it got lyrics, they are not automatically stored in the files. On the lyrics screen, right click, and choose "Save in audio file".

1 hour ago, Raphaël G. said:

– [Changed] Removed song covers from playlists. They were in fact albums covers and were confusing for users.

The irony...   (I hate the change and find it confusing)

Anyway, I had the lyrics editor crash on the same song three times in a row...

Dopamine crashes if the lyrics have an empty line at the end of the song that you're putting time stamps in.

2 hours ago, Ned said:

Dopamine crashes if the lyrics have an empty line at the end of the song that you're putting time stamps in.

You have no idea how many times I got the question why the cover wasn't updated after the user updated the cover in the file :rofl:. It was not change for the sake of change though. Keeping those covers up to date was a complicated job, and a performance hit.

I'll look into the lyrics editor issue.

7 minutes ago, Kronephon said:

But wouldn't replacing the tag with various artists just erase all the info I have there?

Not necessarily. Be sure to alter the "Album artists" tag, not the "Artists" tag. Those are two different fields.

For example, take a compilation album. Each track is from a different artist, therefore the "Artist" tag will be different for every file. If you put "Various Artists" in the "Album Artists" tag, Dopamine will group the tracks in that album and still keep the artists information in every song.

6 hours ago, Ned said:

Personally I prefer it not showing the album art in the playlist. To me it makes no sense to show the album art up top, and then also show the same album art for every track.

EDIT: Although I guess my logic breaks down a bit if you have more than one album in your playlist. What I've seen some players do is showing an album art/album information 'header' above each album in the playlist (musicbee has an option for this as an example)

• Like 2

Yet another build of Dopamine is available: 1.2 build 793 (Preview)

It fixes some bugs, and this is the change log:

- [Fixed] Refreshing of covers is more fluid
- [Fixed] Lyrics editor causes crash when the lyrics end in an empty line
- [Fixed] Lyrics timing now has an accuracy of milliseconds instead of seconds

Get it while it's hot!

• Like 5

Comment on the lyrics support... is there a way to differentiate between songs which already have lyrics embedded in the file, versus ones Dopamine downloaded? Just trying to understand when I should 'save in audio file'. Cheers!

39 minutes ago, jasondefaoite said:

Comment on the lyrics support... is there a way to differentiate between songs which already have lyrics embedded in the file, versus ones Dopamine downloaded? Just trying to understand when I should 'save in audio file'. Cheers!

I would never save anything that  I don't have to inside my music files, the smaller they are and more light weight they are the better they are usually as far as that kind of stuff goes.  If Dopamine does it automatically then why save it in the file?

15 hours ago, jasondefaoite said:

There's is currently no indication. I could add some subtle element that would make that clear for the user.

Edit: this is the issue on GitHub: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/203

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ravensky said:

I would never save anything that  I don't have to inside my music files, the smaller they are and more light weight they are the better they are usually as far as that kind of stuff goes.  If Dopamine does it automatically then why save it in the file?

The text from lyrics probably ads around 1.5kB to the file. Yes, kilobyte. You won't notice it. If smaller was better we'd all be using 64kbit/s mp3 encodes.

I prefer to have album art, metadata and lyrics embedded into the file if possible. The reason is I share the library across devices, and the capability of the players vary. There is no Dopamine for iOS yet ;) 

2 hours ago, jasondefaoite said:

The text from lyrics probably ads around 1.5kB to the file. Yes, kilobyte. You won't notice it. If smaller was better we'd all be using 64kbit/s mp3 encodes.

I prefer to have album art, metadata and lyrics embedded into the file if possible. The reason is I share the library across devices, and the capability of the players vary. There is no Dopamine for iOS yet ;) 

I didn't mean to sample down the file for less quality obviously, I just prefer to keep my files top quality with no album art, etc saved to the file...  in fact I prefer .flac files which are just amazing sound quality with nothing else added.

Another build of Dopamine is available: 1.2 Build 804 (Preview)

It fixes several bugs and adds some small handy features.

This is the change log:

– [Added] Possibility to re-order songs by drag and drop in playlists and Now Playing
– [Added] A more visible tray icon for systems which are not running Windows 10
– [Fixed] It is now possible to edit tags in Now Playing screen and Mini Player
– [Fixed] Scaling of Now Playing screen background is incorrect
– [Fixed] Embedded lyrics only shown when “Download lyrics automatically” option is enabled
– [Fixed] Unable to fetch album covers if artist name or album title contain “&”
– [Fixed] Unrating a song is now easier

As usual, download here.

The search online musicmatch and youtube links don't seem to do anything anymore.

hmm...looks like it depends on the song?

yep, found a song that I can't edit/add lyrics.

(After refreshing the database the problem file seems to have fixed itself, so I can't really figure out what was going on there.)

Actually, I think I just killed my playlist...

"Open playlist" crashes dopamine if the playlist already exists in the database.

2 hours ago, Ned said:

The search online musicmatch and youtube links don't seem to do anything anymore.

hmm...looks like it depends on the song?

yep, found a song that I can't edit/add lyrics.

(After refreshing the database the problem file seems to have fixed itself, so I can't really figure out what was going on there.)

Actually, I think I just killed my playlist...

"Open playlist" crashes dopamine if the playlist already exists in the database.

The search providers (musicmatch, youtube) and lyrics search need tags "artist" and "title" filled in. Otherwise they don't know what to look for. If you ever have an issue with those again, coudl you check if those tags are filled in?

As for the open playlist issue. Indeed, I could just reproduce it. Thanks for reporting it! This is the issue on github: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/211

A nother preview of Dopamine is available: 1.2 build 806 (preview)

It fixes multiple bugs:

– [Fixed] Opening a playlist causes a crash
– [Fixed] Multiple metadata editing issues
– [Fixed] Fixed “Username” and “Password” are not translatable
– [Fixed] Songs ordered randomly when adding to playlists
– [Fixed] Notification options unreliable
– [Fixed] Improved online lyrics search. It will now provide results for more songs.

Download here

• Like 3

Question, does shuffle all on the right side above the song lists in Artists/Genre/Albums areas shuffle all the songs in the entire collection or just the currently visible songs in the list?

For instance, I clicked shuffle all when I had a Christmas genre selected, but it looks to shuffle all songs in the entire collection instead.  I wasn't sure if that is a bug or the intended action.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, jackslade said:

Question, does shuffle all on the right side above the song lists in Artists/Genre/Albums areas shuffle all the songs in the entire collection or just the currently visible songs in the list?

For instance, I clicked shuffle all when I had a Christmas genre selected, but it looks to shuffle all songs in the entire collection instead.  I wasn't sure if that is a bug or the intended action.  Thanks!

It's intended behavior to shuffle all songs. However I had multiple reports that this is confusing. I have to find another location for the shuffle all button. See https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/218

1 hour ago, Raphaël G. said:

It's intended behavior to shuffle all songs. However I had multiple reports that this is confusing. I have to find another location for the shuffle all button. See https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/218

Thanks, I thought it did all and when you added it you asked where the best place was :)  I just used it for the first time and realized it did all songs instead.  

I think it is a little confusing since it is part of that area, so you would think the shuffle button would only apply to that current list of songs and not all.  Looking at the current interface, perhaps moving that shuffle all song button the left next to the current tabs main filter (Artists, Albums, Genre) would be better since it would apply to all of those.  You could leave the other so that it would shuffle just the current list.  Just a thought, however, that would mean 3 shuffle options in the interface though.

31 minutes ago, jackslade said:

Thanks, I thought it did all and when you added it you asked where the best place was :)  I just used it for the first time and realized it did all songs instead.  

I think it is a little confusing since it is part of that area, so you would think the shuffle button would only apply to that current list of songs and not all.  Looking at the current interface, perhaps moving that shuffle all song button the left next to the current tabs main filter (Artists, Albums, Genre) would be better since it would apply to all of those.  You could leave the other so that it would shuffle just the current list.  Just a thought, however, that would mean 3 shuffle options in the interface though.

I would think only one would be needed to shuffle only the current list as that would be what you are currently listening to anyway...right?