Dopamine


 Share

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, ViperAFK said:

Settings | Behavior | check Minimize to Notification area and/or Close to notification area

I have those checked, but the program still shows in the taskbar while playing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Zagadka said:

I have those checked, but the program still shows in the taskbar while playing

Strange, I just tried it here and it works as expected (showing system tray icon, not showing in the taskbar)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

I'm a new Dopamine user and I really like the player.

 

I have some questions about it though and how it handles album art.

 

It seems to pick up "folder.jpg" files fine when no album art is embedded in the files (how I like to manage my album art).


When it automatically downloads album art though, what source is it using and where is it storing them? Is it embedding the art into the file?

 

Also, what does "loving"/"hearting" a track do? How does this differ from giving it a rating? Do any of these properties alter the ID3 tags of the files?

 

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2017 at 0:43 AM, Zagadka said:

I have those checked, but the program still shows in the taskbar while playing

Strange. Do you have more details about the steps you're performing while trying to get Dopamine in the tray? Which build are you using?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2017 at 11:42 PM, quaffle said:

Hello,

 

I'm a new Dopamine user and I really like the player.

 

I have some questions about it though and how it handles album art.

 

It seems to pick up "folder.jpg" files fine when no album art is embedded in the files (how I like to manage my album art).


When it automatically downloads album art though, what source is it using and where is it storing them? Is it embedding the art into the file?

 

Also, what does "loving"/"hearting" a track do? How does this differ from giving it a rating? Do any of these properties alter the ID3 tags of the files?

 

Thank you!

It's indeed programmed to pick up folder.jpg/png, cover.jpg/png, front.jpg/png when there is no embedded art. I plan to add customization options in the next version (1.3), so you can force it to look for any file name.

Automatic album art download is using Last.fm.

 

Loving track just marks them as loved. There is currently no way to automatically create playlists based on loved tracks. But version 1.3 will add that. Love is more useful if you use Last.fm. Once you log in to your last.fm account in Dopamine, loving a track sends a "love" request to Last.fm. That track will appear in you last.fm profile as being loved. Love/unlove is not stored into ID3 tags. It is just stored in the Dopamine database.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/22/2017 at 7:30 AM, Nick H. said:

I have a tiny request. Can you set it so that when Dopamine is in focus, the space bar is play/pause?

I had this request a lot. And tried to add it multiple times. I fail each time, because of the search field. Space is an allowed character in the search box, because you can search for multiple terms. It's hard to make a distinction between pressing space for play/pause or for searching. Both conflict with each other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Raphaël G. said:

I had this request a lot. And tried to add it multiple times. I fail each time, because of the search field. Space is an allowed character in the search box, because you can search for multiple terms. It's hard to make a distinction between pressing space for play/pause or for searching. Both conflict with each other.

i'm not sure if this would help with implementation but why not disallow pressing space as the 1st character in the search box?

There should be no reason to start with a space when searching so if there's nothing in the search box it could continue to the next possible action and play/pause

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

I had this request a lot. And tried to add it multiple times. I fail each time, because of the search field. Space is an allowed character in the search box, because you can search for multiple terms. It's hard to make a distinction between pressing space for play/pause or for searching. Both conflict with each other.

That's a shame. I love the work that you've done on this, it's truly amazing. I do have moments though where I automatically go to the space bar to stop the music, and I get a tad annoyed that it doesn't pause the track.

 

You've made this open source now, though? I don't pretend to have the knowledge of you guys, but maybe someone could find a way to make it work and then send you the coding? I don't plan on moving away from this as my default player, but that functionality would be great for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

i'm not sure if this would help with implementation but why not disallow pressing space as the 1st character in the search box?

There should be no reason to start with a space when searching so if there's nothing in the search box it could continue to the next possible action and play/pause

But what about when there's a space in between two words?

 

I know video players like MPC-HC use space to play/pause but do any other music players? I'm not disagreeing by the way as it would be handy some times as a quick way to pause.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dakn said:

But what about when there's a space in between two words?

 

I know video players like MPC-HC use space to play/pause but do any other music players? I'm not disagreeing by the way as it would be handy some times as a quick way to pause.

I find "space" it useful for video players. For audio players not so much. This is the link to the Dopamine work item: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/142

From my research back then:

  • Winamp: doesn't react on space
  • Foobar2000: doesn't react on space
  • MusicBee: space automatically triggers a search
  • Groove: doesn't react on space

It's not the code which is the problem: I can handle code. It's coming up with workable logic which is. I give priority to the search box for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dakn said:

But what about when there's a space in between two words?

 

I know video players like MPC-HC use space to play/pause but do any other music players? I'm not disagreeing by the way as it would be handy some times as a quick way to pause.

yes my thought is just the 1st character would disallow the space but if there are already characters typed into the search then space would work as intended in the search box

 

edit: thought on my logic:

if Search = null

    Space = Play/Pause

else

    Space = Space

on paper it seems possible but what do you think @Raphaël G.?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

I find "space" it useful for video players. For audio players not so much. This is the link to the Dopamine work item: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/142

From my research back then:

  • Winamp: doesn't react on space
  • Foobar2000: doesn't react on space
  • MusicBee: space automatically triggers a search
  • Groove: doesn't react on space

It's not the code which is the problem: I can handle code. It's coming up with workable logic which is. I give priority to the search box for now.

Yeah I find most video players respond with space, but I have trained my brain to use my media keys on my keyboard which is much better and is supported by pretty much everything...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Other things...

 

First, the "song now playing" notification that lets you target which corner of the monitor doesn't work on dual monitor displays (to my knowledge)

 

Cross fading?

 

And still having the problem with the taskbar. It does minimize to the tray properly (ie, without the entry on the taskbar), but if the app is visably open in any mode, it pops back onto the taskbar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zagadka said:

Other things...

 

First, the "song now playing" notification that lets you target which corner of the monitor doesn't work on dual monitor displays (to my knowledge)

 

Cross fading?

 

And still having the problem with the taskbar. It does minimize to the tray properly (ie, without the entry on the taskbar), but if the app is visably open in any mode, it pops back onto the taskbar.

Ohw, that's a known "issue". When removing the icon also when the window is visible, some breakage occurs. More of a windows limitation (if I remember correctly). I tried that once, but there appears a small window title at the bottom left of the screen when minimizing a second time. A bit like when minimizing in the old windows 3.1 days, like on this mock up. You tell windows not to use the task bar, so windows puts it on the desktop. I didn't find a solution back then and stopped looking.

 

 

 

mockup.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2017 at 2:28 AM, Zagadka said:

Using 1,3 (871)

 

I have everything in Settings > Behavior set for enabled

Do you have Dopamine pinned to the taskbar by chance?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2017 at 10:47 PM, Brandon H said:

yes my thought is just the 1st character would disallow the space but if there are already characters typed into the search then space would work as intended in the search box

 

edit: thought on my logic:


if Search = null

    Space = Play/Pause

else

    Space = Space

on paper it seems possible but what do you think @Raphaël G.?

 

OK, I decided to do it that way. That should make everyone happy. Details here: https://github.com/digimezzo/Dopamine/issues/142

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've released a new preview. This is the change log:

 

2017-02-01: Dopamine 1.3 Build 884 (Preview)

 

- [Added] The keyboard space bar now toggles play and pause when there is no search being performed

- [Changed] 'Cloud' screen was renamed to 'Frequent'

- [Changed] Updated the Spanish translation

- [Changed] Updated the Russian translation

- [Changed] Updated the French translation

- [Fixed] Fixed an occasional crash which happened when automatically scrolling to the playing song

- [Fixed] Mini player windows are buggy in Windows 10 tablet mode

- [Fixed] Playback bug when queuing the same track multiple times by using 'Play next'

- [Fixed] A possible startup crash caused by the tray icon

- [Fixed] A conflict with the search box when changing the volume by pressing - or +

 

Download here

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your product has greatly progressed since preview build 145, and I very much appreciate your efforts.

 

I don't know when this problem appeared, but it was present in release build 1.2.862.4 and is in 1.3.884. The issue arises when you encounter a "collection" (i.e., sampler) CD where there are various contributing artists but the album name, artist -- in this case, Chip Davis -- and the embedded cover image is constant in each track/mp3 file. Instead of showing all tracks under one album, in numerical order, they are grouped into 'different' albums by their contributing artist(s). In the particular case (image attached) there are seven 'albums' displayed, each with two tracks (in numerical order), based upon the contributing artist's name. This is obviously a case of sorting based upon album artist vs. contributing artist.

 

Should there be a "Setting" which controls the order by which folder/album contents are grouped or have I missed a change in the way the ID3 tags should be defined?

Dopamine 1.3.884.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, uninet said:

Your product has greatly progressed since preview build 145, and I very much appreciate your efforts.

 

I don't know when this problem appeared, but it was present in release build 1.2.862.4 and is in 1.3.884. The issue arises when you encounter a "collection" (i.e., sampler) CD where there are various contributing artists but the album name, artist -- in this case, Chip Davis -- and the embedded cover image is constant in each track/mp3 file. Instead of showing all tracks under one album, in numerical order, they are grouped into 'different' albums by their contributing artist(s). In the particular case (image attached) there are seven 'albums' displayed, each with two tracks (in numerical order), based upon the contributing artist's name. This is obviously a case of sorting based upon album artist vs. contributing artist.

 

Should there be a "Setting" which controls the order by which folder/album contents are grouped or have I missed a change in the way the ID3 tags should be defined?

Dopamine 1.3.884.jpg

Dopamine ignores the track's folder when grouping by album. Tracks are grouped into albums when tag Album title and album artist is the same. So for compilation albums, make sure to have 1 common album artist, e.g.: "Various artists".

 

Note: when there is no album artist, Dopamine uses the track artist as album artist. 

 

More info in the FAQ under Why are some of my songs not grouped in one album?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a general note, Avast threw a Win32:Evo-gen error on Dopamine auto updating (it hasn't done this on updates before)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Just a general note, Avast threw a Win32:Evo-gen error on Dopamine auto updating (it hasn't done this on updates before)

Don't take this personally. The following rant is aimed at Avast and other anti virus junk: I stopped caring about anti virus reports. Reasons stated in the Dopamine F.A.Q. It contains a link to an interesting blog post which explains why Anti virus software is a pain for the small developer.

 

Edit: and indeed, from the Virus-total report, the 2 same crappy engines flag it as suspicious again:

 

 

 

Untitled.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, jasondefaoite said:

Hi Raphael, just fyi the FAQ link goes back to the first post in this thread.

 

Better link here ... FAQ

Thanks! I'm not sure how I did that :rofl:. It's now fixed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

    • By Usama Jawad96
      Windows 11 Dev Channel gets a new Media Player app
      by Usama Jawad

      A couple of months ago, Microsoft inadvertently showed off a new media playing experience that it was working on. However, little was known about it due to the fact that only a screenshot of it had appeared online. Today, Microsoft has confirmed the existence of a new "Media Player" app for Windows 11, and it is rolling it out to those on the Dev Channel right now.

      Microsoft has noted that the Media Player app will replace Groove Music on Windows 11 eventually and all existing libraries and playlists will seamlessly and automatically migrate to the new experience. Apart from that, Media Player will obviously be able to play local music and video content as well. Microsoft has noted that the new app has been designed with Windows 11 aesthetics in mind, so do expect rounded corners and other design elements related to the OS.

      Other features that Microsoft has touted are album art and "rich artist imagery" that will be visible both in the full screen mode as well as the mini player. Keyboard shortcuts and accessibility-focused enhancements are in tow too.

      The legacy Windows Media Player will apparently co-exist with the new Media Player app for now though, if you would rather use that. Microsoft has noted that it is already aware of issues related to playing content stored in network locations, and those related to editing metadata or UI components not respecting app theme preferences. That said, the company will be looking to fix these problems and add new features to the app with the passage of time. Microsoft has not committed to a general release date for Media Player on Windows 11 yet, and has not indicated that it will arrive on Windows 10.

    • By Copernic
      foobar2000 1.6.8
      by Razvan Serea



      foobar2000 is an advanced freeware audio player for the Windows platform. It features the simplest, most minimalistic interface you'll ever see in this kind of program. Other features include full unicode support, ReplayGain support and native support for several popular audio formats.

      foobar2000 features:

      Supported audio formats: MP3, MP4, AAC, CD Audio, WMA, Vorbis, FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, Musepack, Speex, AU, SND... and more with additional components. Gapless playback. Full unicode support. Easily customizable user interface layout. Advanced tagging capabilities. Support for ripping Audio CDs as well as transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component. Full ReplayGain support. Customizable keyboard shortcuts. Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player foobar2000 1.6.8 changelog:

      Fixed visual glitches when scrolling lists horizontally with mouse wheel through Logitech software. Improved output format negotiation with exclusive output. Fixed failure to install components from store-mode (uncompressed) zip archives. Improved handling of malformed FLAC files, prevented crash from too many cuesheet entries. Correct reporting of AC3 channel count in MP4 files even without AC3 component installed (before it would incorrectly report stereo). Allowed UTF-8 cuesheets without UTF-8 header. Fixed htmlspecialchars misuse in component update list / component page link. Mapped MP4 @mvn field to "movement name". Prevented the same folder from being added more than once to the Media Library. Properties dialog: deferred logging of user-entered field names for the dropdown list until the tags are saved, effectively preventing typos from being remembered. Fixed a bug causing alt+f4 (and possibly other keyboard events) to be disregarded if mouse pointer is above specific interactive portion of a window (list controls, buttons in editboxes). Improved handling of files with malformed APE tags - some files were entirely unplayable. More thorough 'remove tags' for Vorbis, Opus and Musepack. Fixed text truncation in ReplayGain Scanner preferences page. Made possible to add attached pictures by drag and drop to relevant Properties dialog page. Download page: foobar2000 1.6.8 | 4.5 MB (Freeware)
      Links: Home Page | foobar2000 for Mac | Windows Store | Android

      Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

    • By Copernic
      iTunes 12.12.2
      by Razvan Serea



      iTunes is a free application for Windows PCs. It plays all your digital music and video. It syncs content to your iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV. And it's an entertainment superstore that stays open 24/7.

      Organize your music into playlists Edit file information Record compact discs Copy files to an iPod or other digital audio player Purchase music and videos on the Internet through the built-in iTunes store Run a visualizer to display graphical effects in time to the music Encode music into a number of different audio formats. Download: iTunes 12.12.2 (64-bit) | 201.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: iTunes 12.12.2 (32-bit) | 171.0 MB
      Links: Apple iTunes Website

      Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

    • By MJacobs
      20th Anniversary of iPod and a look at an early prototype
      by Moshe Jacobs

      October 23rd, 2021 marked the 20th anniversary of the most iconic music player in history, the iPod. Apple's once leading music product has seen sales of over 400 million units to date as reported by Cult of Mac. Although there had been rumors swirling about a Fall 2021 revision of the iPod Touch, nothing has come of it quite yet. Even though the iPad has been relegated to a product buried in the Apple Store online not immediately apparent to purchase, it has seen such popularity through the years that more than 10 models in total ranging from the original iPods, iPod minis, iPod shuffles, and iPod nanos have been released.

      Blog writer from Panic, Cabel Sasser, has shared a first look at a very early prototype of the original iPod intended to mask the actual product design while development was occurring. Having seemingly aged through the years, what was most likely a white body has now taken on a yellowish appearance.



      Despite the behemoth size of this unit, it shares a display identical in size to the original consumer iPod. The prototype unit also included a standard headphone port as well as FireWire like the original iPod. A large scroll wheel was featured at the top left of the unit which, according to one of the founders of the iPod Tony Fadell, was poorly functional.

      Other parts of the button interface include an Up, Down, Left, and Right selection that may have corresponded to Menu, Play/Pause, Back, and Forward respectively.

      Despite the lack of similarity in physical aesthetics between this prototype and the original iPod released, the unit does date to September 3rd, 2001 indicating a date close to the release of the original iPod on October 23rd, 2001.

      For more pictures, and a much more detailed look at the prototype unit, check out the Panic's blog.

    • By Copernic
      foobar2000 1.6.8 Beta 1
      by Razvan Serea



      foobar2000 is an advanced freeware audio player for the Windows platform. It features the simplest, most minimalistic interface you'll ever see in this kind of program. Other features include full unicode support, ReplayGain support and native support for several popular audio formats.

      foobar2000 features:

      Supported audio formats: MP3, MP4, AAC, CD Audio, WMA, Vorbis, FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, Musepack, Speex, AU, SND... and more with additional components. Gapless playback. Full unicode support. Easily customizable user interface layout. Advanced tagging capabilities. Support for ripping Audio CDs as well as transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component. Full ReplayGain support. Customizable keyboard shortcuts. Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player foobar2000 1.6.8 Beta 1 changelog:

      Fixed visual glitches when scrolling lists horizontally with mouse wheel through Logitech software. Improved output format negotiation with exclusive output. Fixed failure to install components from store-mode (uncompressed) zip archives. Improved handling of malformed FLAC files, prevented crash from too many cuesheet entries. Correct reporting of AC3 channel count in MP4 files even without AC3 component installed (before it would incorrectly report stereo). Allowed UTF-8 cuesheets without UTF-8 header. Fixed htmlspecialchars misuse in component update list / component page link. Mapped MP4 @mvn field to "movement name". Prevented the same folder from being added more than once to the Media Library. Properties dialog: deferred logging of user-entered field names for the dropdown list until the tags are saved, effectively preventing typos from being remembered. Fixed a bug causing alt+f4 (and possibly other keyboard events) to be disregarded if mouse pointer is above specific interactive portion of a window (list controls, buttons in editboxes). Improved handling of files with malformed APE tags - some files were entirely unplayable. More thorough 'remove tags' for Vorbis, Opus and Musepack. Fixed text truncation in ReplayGain Scanner preferences page. Download page: foobar2000 1.6.8 Beta 1 | 4.5 MB (Freeware)
      Links: Home Page | foobar2000 for Mac | Windows Store | Android

      Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware