Dopamine

4 hours ago, intrnl said:

I do have a suggestion though:

• I have many songs that doesn't have an artwork on it, and Dopamine likes to stick an artwork from other songs. (I have some songs that are clumped into one folder since I was lazy to sort through all of it :pinch:)
    Is there any way to make it so that Dopamine only grabs artwork from the file itself?
  • It would be nice to have a folder view since it's hard for me to pick out folders to add on a playlist.

Dopamine is designed to work with properly tagged music.

As you only have 325 files I would highly recommend spending an hour or so correcting your tags and putting them in the correct folders. This way you wouldn't have to look for a not-so-nice-way to view your music collection and everything would have artwork - making Dopamine look that much better. :)

4 hours ago, intrnl said:

Been using this for a couple of hours, feel so fun with Dopamine since I could finally get a fully functional music player that mimics Metro design language :p

Indexing my 3 gigabytes (325 files) music collection only took 8 seconds which is pretty amazing :D

I do have a suggestion though:

• I have many songs that doesn't have an artwork on it, and Dopamine likes to stick an artwork from other songs. (I have some songs that are clumped into one folder since I was lazy to sort through all of it :pinch:)
    Is there any way to make it so that Dopamine only grabs artwork from the file itself?
  • It would be nice to have a folder view since it's hard for me to pick out folders to add on a playlist.
  • Going through the first row of tabs (Collection, Settings and Info) is hard since the text are quite small.
  • Dopamine takes 128 megabytes of RAM, sure it wouldn't have been a problem for most users, but considering there are people with less RAM on their computers it would've been great to have the RAM usage lessened down.
  • EDIT: I would like the playlist to be saved on another location.
  • EDIT: The 1px window border should've been invisible when maximising the window.

Otherwise, Dopamine is a top-notch for me, definitely would try recommending it to friends :rofl:

3 minutes ago, dakn said:

Dopamine is designed to work with properly tagged music.

As you only have 325 files I would highly recommend spending an hour or so correcting your tags and putting them in the correct folders. This way you wouldn't have to look for a not-so-nice-way to view your music collection and everything would have artwork - making Dopamine look that much better. :)

I'm afraid dakn is right about that. Dopamine targets an audience which has properly tagged music. At that point it doesn't even matter how scattered your files are: they'll always be correctly organized in categories inside Dopamine. For an audience that uses a folder based structure, there is no need to have a full blown organizer. A very lightweight click-in-explorer-and-play UI (for example like the Mini players) would suffice. I've been thinking to add a Lite version of Dopamine to the installation, just for this purpose. Double clik in explorer and BAM, lightweight UI would start very quickly and play your file. I could even let in enqueue the rest of the files from the same folder to make thing easier. Would such thing help?

I haven't weighed in for a while, and these days I only check for new updates every couple of weeks, because I have been spending more time in my car listening to music on my phone than at home on my PC.  I just wanted to stop in and let you know that Dopamine is still the best (by far) music player on Windows.  I have had zero issues with it for months now.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I was wondering if you still planned on making an app for Windows Mobile.  I haven't the time to read through the thread now that it has become so massive to see if there has been any progress there.

13 hours ago, Darrian said:

I haven't weighed in for a while, and these days I only check for new updates every couple of weeks, because I have been spending more time in my car listening to music on my phone than at home on my PC.  I just wanted to stop in and let you know that Dopamine is still the best (by far) music player on Windows.  I have had zero issues with it for months now.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I was wondering if you still planned on making an app for Windows Mobile.  I haven't the time to read through the thread now that it has become so massive to see if there has been any progress there.

Hi! Good to hear from you! And thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to have reached such a level of quality. The last couple of months I've throttled back a bit on Dopamine development. I have some minions on GitHub :) and they are doing a fantastic job. I still code here and there, but mostly accept new features and fixes written by others, and I make sure everything fits the general idea I have for Dopamine. It takes away some stress and gives me time for side projects :). So Dopamine for the Windows desktop is still alive and kicking and I'm not planning to stop. For mobile, that's another story. I abandoned the Dopamine UWP app. With Microsoft's current attitude towards Windows Mobile, it just doesn't make sense to continue. That's sad, because UWP coding is fun. It's a fun and powerful platform. But, as I want to create mobile app which matter, I'm now learning Android development. Not sure yet if I'll port Dopamine to Android though. It won't be the same.

• Like 3

I'm not surprised to hear you dropped UWP, though it is sad to hear. Personally, though, if you ported it to Android and kept the "Metro" look instead of changing it to "Material" I would love that. I can't speak for anyone else, though, so that project just may not be worth it, either. I'm currently using an Android phone so that I can drive for Uber, but was still hoping to move on to a Lumia 950 XL at some point (or even have a "personal" phone and a "work" phone), but with the way Microsoft's platform appears to be dying and they are doing nothing to stop it I don't know if I still want to go back, even though I love it. I'm waiting to see what happens once we get Windows 10 on ARM, I guess.

1 hour ago, Raphaël G. said:

Hi! Good to hear from you! And thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to have reached such a level of quality. The last couple of months I've throttled back a bit on Dopamine development. I have some minions on GitHub :) and they are doing a fantastic job. I still code here and there, but mostly accept new features and fixes written by others, and I make sure everything fits the general idea I have for Dopamine. It takes away some stress and gives me time for side projects :). So Dopamine for the Windows desktop is still alive and kicking and I'm not planning to stop. For mobile, that's another story. I abandoned the Dopamine UWP app. With Microsoft's current attitude towards Windows Mobile, it just doesn't make sense to continue. That's sad, because UWP coding is fun. It's a fun and powerful platform. But, as I want to create mobile app which matter, I'm now learning Android development. Not sure yet if I'll port Dopamine to Android though. It won't be the same.

Out of curiosity did Windows S make you wonder if it would be worth a UWP.  

2 hours ago, Xenon said:

Well, he can release the win32 app in the store and it will run on S fine, just not on Mobile.

13 minutes ago, Darrian said:

Well, he can release the win32 app in the store and it will run on S fine, just not on Mobile.

Are they allowing win32 apps in the store? I thought only UWP. I don't use the store. 

Win32 apps can now be packaged for the Store and "converted" to "apps." One of the selling points for Windows 10 S is that Microsoft is going to release the "full" Office in the Store.

It is minor, but a default missing album art would be nice. Half of my list looks like other artists, so it makes the album art view pointless.

6 hours ago, Xenon said:

No:) I don't believe in Windows 10 S.

Edit: in the sense that I don't believe it brings any added value. Let's see if OEM's like it...

3 hours ago, Darrian said:

That's is something I have thought about. Last time I tried, it was a tedious process to get a win32 app in the store (it even failed to "convert" Dopamine. I'll soon try again. Hopefully the tools have improved.

3 hours ago, Zagadka said:

It is minor, but a default missing album art would be nice. Half of my list looks like other artists, so it makes the album art view pointless.

Can you show a screenshot of your album view?

Sorting songs in an album seems to stop working after clicking back and forth between Artist and Album etc. Clicking the toggle does nothing.

Also, there is no option to sort by track number!?

17 minutes ago, FiB3R said:

Sorting songs in an album seems to stop working after clicking back and forth between Artist and Album etc. Clicking the toggle does nothing.

Also, there is no option to sort by track number!?

Could you check the version and build number? There was a bug some time ago where sorting in the albums screen was broken. That has since been fixed.

Sorting by track number is done when you select 1 or more albums in one of the album panes. Once you selected albums, there appears an option "by album" in the track pane, which sorts the songs by track number (might be confusing :rofl:)

Yep, "by album" confused me. Not a hard thing to do :p

Still have the sorting issue though... 

2017-05-04_16-32-38.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FiB3R said:

Yep, "by album" confused me. Not a hard thing to do :p

Still have the sorting issue though... 

2017-05-04_16-32-38.gif

Thanks for the GIF, that cleared it up. It was indeed broken and I just fixed it for the next build.

• Like 3

hello, first of all let me say this is the most beautiful music player i've ever seen on pc, i've been looking for a player like that for a while and was really impressed. just wanted to ask if it's possible to add two things in the future.

the first one is support for cue sheets for flac music. at first i thought i'll just re-encode it and split into single tracks, but then i found out i've got around 500 of those big flac files with a cue sheet, so it would be a rather painful proccess, so i hope it's possible to add support for it in the dopamine

i love to study the cover art while i listen to the music and i was a little disappointed that you can't really make it big enough in dopamine. would be great to have an option to have a showcase view where it takes like 70% or more of space horizontally. or maybe to just zoom it in when you click on the cover art

thanks for the great player and i hope it gets really popular in the future

18 hours ago, beingboring said:

hello, first of all let me say this is the most beautiful music player i've ever seen on pc, i've been looking for a player like that for a while and was really impressed. just wanted to ask if it's possible to add two things in the future.

the first one is support for cue sheets for flac music. at first i thought i'll just re-encode it and split into single tracks, but then i found out i've got around 500 of those big flac files with a cue sheet, so it would be a rather painful proccess, so i hope it's possible to add support for it in the dopamine

i love to study the cover art while i listen to the music and i was a little disappointed that you can't really make it big enough in dopamine. would be great to have an option to have a showcase view where it takes like 70% or more of space horizontally. or maybe to just zoom it in when you click on the cover art

thanks for the great player and i hope it gets really popular in the future

Maybe increase the album size in Showcase mode of now playing on mouse hover?  This would do it I think...

On 5/4/2017 at 6:18 AM, FiB3R said:

Have we got gapless playback yet? :)

Is there a plan for this? (I hope there is :rofl:)

9 minutes ago, jasondefaoite said:

Is there a plan for this? (I hope there is :rofl:)

Not quite :rofl: :(. It's so complicated I didn't have the courage to look at it yet.

On 5/3/2017 at 3:02 AM, Raphaël G. said:

I've been thinking to add a Lite version of Dopamine to the installation, just for this purpose. Double clik in explorer and BAM, lightweight UI would start very quickly and play your file. I could even let in enqueue the rest of the files from the same folder to make thing easier. Would such thing help?

This would be a nice feature. On my desktop pc I like having a 'full' player/organizer like dopamine, but on my laptop I don't store any of my music locally so I usually just browse to my network share in explorer and use the context menu to play an album in dopamine

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2017 at 9:51 PM, Raphaël G. said:

Can you show a screenshot of your album view?

Don't know how it'd help, just a pic of the wrong cover (band and song). Every other track without artwork shows the same album.

cover.jpg

21 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

Don't know how it'd help, just a pic of the wrong cover (band and song). Every other track without artwork shows the same album.

cover.jpg

Are these files in a same folder (with no sub folders)? Could this cover be an image file (png or jpg) in that folder? When there is no embedded cover, Dopamine looks for specific (cover.jpg, cover.png, front.jpg, front.png,...) in the folders where the files reside. The logic is not optimal, as I cannot know to which audio files a specific image file applies. But that's how it works right now. Please look for hidden files if you cannot find any image file in that folder.

Nope, folder contains only mp3s, and other playlists that use multiple folders without cover.jpg etc have the same problem

25 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

Nope, folder contains only mp3s, and other playlists that use multiple folders without cover.jpg etc have the same problem

Definitely no hidden folder.jpg when you enable viewing hidden system files?