Dopamine

Hi people,

Small status update. This has been done since the last build (no new build yet, needs more testing):

- Sound is now played by a separate process called "Axon"
- Adjusted some timings for a smoother experience
- Fixed several small bugs
- Added total song duration and size information

And a screenshot, notice something?

New dopamine.png

• Like 2

I had to restore my music folder from a backup recently I didn't have it all backed up... now my music database is all messed up, how do I reset it? Does it adjust and reset itself?

9 hours ago, Ravensky said:

I had to restore my music folder from a backup recently I didn't have it all backed up... now my music database is all messed up, how do I reset it? Does it adjust and reset itself?

It depends what changed. Files which Dopamine cannot find on disk anymore, are automatically removed from the collection, new files will be added. Files which have a last modification date which is different from the one in the database, will be updated. To manually reset your collection, you'll have to delete Dopamine.db. I've been meaning to provide a reset button, but delayed it :)

10 hours ago, Ravensky said:

8NsYmmA.png

Looks nice =)

Yes i needed that info lately when creating a playlist for a party and making sure I have enough hours of music. I'm not 100% sure about the positioning yet. Still killing brains cells over that.

20 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Hi people,

Small status update. This has been done since the last build (no new build yet, needs more testing):

And a screenshot, notice something?

New dopamine.png

Damn! I can't notice what's new on the screenshot, except total song duration and size information, which is really convenient!

2 hours ago, Ravensky said:

so you have a music player for OSX, and a music player for Windows, are you going to make one for Linux next? lol

OSX?  have never seen anything like that on his site.

21 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

OSX?  have never seen anything like that on his site.

That's right...   Windows only.

Which shown in his bio on his site that says: windows enthusiast.

19 hours ago, TAZMINATOR said:

That was old name which he replaced it with Dopamine.

Indeed :) MusiX was my first attempt at creating a Music player. I began programming in .NET back then and learned a lot by creating that player. Eventually I learned so much, that I realized its internals were crap. So I started from scratch and renamed that new project to Dopamine.

hi, can i ask something that may be a very simple feature, but i can't figure it out.

if i just want to play all of my songs in my library on shuffle, how does one do that? it seems like you have to pick an album, artist, or song to play, but there's no master play button just to start playing everything.

thanks

7 hours ago, Ravensky said:

From the artists page, click the shuffle icon, and click play... at least that works for me.

Yeah, that way, or: when no artist or album is selected, all songs are shown on the right. Double click a song and all songs a queued. The rule is: when you start playing a song by double click, all shown songs are queued.

Work in progress. New build soon.

Work in progress.png

- Updated the French translation
- The spectrum analyzer on the Now playing screen becomes taller when the controls are hidden
- The spectrum analyzer is more responsive
- Added cover background on the now playing screen

• Like 4

And here it is! A new build is available:

17-01-2016: Dopamine 1.0.0.547 (Preview)

• Sound is now played by a separate process called “Axon”
  • Adjusted some timings for a smoother experience
  • Fixed several small bugs
  • Added total song duration and size information
  • Updated the French translation
  • The spectrum analyzer on the Now playing screen becomes taller when the controls are hidden
  • The spectrum analyzer is more responsive
  • Added cover background on the now playing screen

Download and info over here: http://raphaelgodart.tumblr.com/dopamine

• Like 3

The previous version and this update are both causing my system to slow down, and my screen to go fuzzy, like very fine white noise on a TV.

This only happens while Dopamine is in the foreground.

I'll do a fresh install in a bit.

I just updated.  It's still working great.  I did finally try out the tag editor, and it edited the tags but the changes didn't appear in the library; I had to delete and recreate the database to refresh it.

While I like the sorting by year I still wish I could group it by year and sort each group by album artist like I did in Zune.

Thanks for your hard work.  This is still the most fantastic audio player for Windows by a mile.  If you ever move forward on the mobile app you might want to consider adding support for OneDrive streaming so it can replace Groove, though, but that is an entirely different project.

2 hours ago, Darrian said:

I just updated.  It's still working great.  I did finally try out the tag editor, and it edited the tags but the changes didn't appear in the library; I had to delete and recreate the database to refresh it.

While I like the sorting by year I still wish I could group it by year and sort each group by album artist like I did in Zune.

Thanks for your hard work.  This is still the most fantastic audio player for Windows by a mile.  If you ever move forward on the mobile app you might want to consider adding support for OneDrive streaming so it can replace Groove, though, but that is an entirely different project.

Thanks for the feedback. Could you tell e exactly which tags you changed and from which one of the screens? I'd like to reproduce that issue.

I was in the Album view.  I changed tags on two albums.  To do this I highlighted all the tracks in the playlist and right-clicked>edit.  The only tag I changed was the year.  One album had extra digits appended to the year and the other album didn't have the year tagged.  They are all aac audio in the m4a container.

17 minutes ago, Darrian said:

I was in the Album view.  I changed tags on two albums.  To do this I highlighted all the tracks in the playlist and right-clicked>edit.  The only tag I changed was the year.  One album had extra digits appended to the year and the other album didn't have the year tagged.  They are all aac audio in the m4a container.

Thanks! I'll try that out tonight.

8 hours ago, FiB3R said:

The previous version and this update are both causing my system to slow down, and my screen to go fuzzy, like very fine white noise on a TV.

This only happens while Dopamine is in the foreground.

I'll do a fresh install in a bit.

Let me know how the clean install goes. That's some strange things you got there.

Could you give me some details about your system? (mostly interested in cpu, gpu, windows version, gpu driver).

Hey there!

I got an error with build 547 when i tried to play my first song with this release. When i tried again, it worked (FYI my files are on a NAS and i use last Insider Preview of Windows 10). Here is the log, if it can help :).

Spoiler

2016-01-18 19:28:45.7271|Info|Dopamine.Application.ExecuteStartup|### STARTING Dopamine, version 1.0.0 (Build 547). IsPortable = False ###
2016-01-18 19:28:46.2810|Info|Dopamine.Views.Splash+VB$StateMachine_15_InitializeSettingsAsync.MoveNext|Upgrading settings
2016-01-18 19:28:47.2480|Info|Axon.Axon.Main|CorePlayerService was started successfully
2016-01-18 19:28:47.6479|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeWCFServices|CommandService was started successfully
2016-01-18 19:28:47.6629|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeWCFServices|IndexingService was started successfully
2016-01-18 19:28:47.6629|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeWCFServices|FileService was started successfully
2016-01-18 19:28:47.6754|Info|Dopamine.Bootstrapper.InitializeShell|Showing Main screen
2016-01-18 19:28:47.7199|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Indexing.IndexingService.TryStartIndexer|Trying to start the indexer.
2016-01-18 19:28:48.1082|Info|Synapse.Synapse.Main|<<< Synapse indexer started >>>
2016-01-18 19:28:48.1317|Info|Synapse.Synapse.Main|Validating process
2016-01-18 19:28:48.1432|Info|Synapse.Synapse.ValidateProcess|Commandline argument 1: IgnoreRemovedFiles = True
2016-01-18 19:28:48.1432|Info|Synapse.Synapse.Main|Initializing WCF proxies
2016-01-18 19:28:48.1753|Info|Synapse.Synapse.Main|Notifying the main application that the indexer is started
2016-01-18 19:28:48.1913|Info|Synapse.Synapse.Main|Waiting for the database
2016-01-18 19:28:48.1913|Info|Synapse.Synapse.WaitForDatabase|C:\Users\antho\AppData\Roaming\Dopamine\Dopamine.db was found. Proceeding.
2016-01-18 19:28:48.2068|Info|Synapse.Synapse.Main|Initializing the Indexing Worker
2016-01-18 19:28:50.2482|Error|Dopamine.Common.Services.Indexing.IndexingService.CheckLifeBeatTimerElapsed|There was no Indexer LifeBeat for more than 1 seconds. Stopping the indexing.
2016-01-18 19:28:51.2627|Info|Synapse.Synapse.Main|Initializing the LifeBeat Timer
2016-01-18 19:28:51.2627|Info|Synapse.Synapse.Main|Starting the LifeBeat Timer
2016-01-18 19:28:51.2707|Info|Synapse.Synapse.Main|Indexing collection
2016-01-18 19:28:51.2707|Info|Dopamine.Core.Indexing.Indexer+VB$StateMachine_15_IndexTracksAsync.MoveNext|+++ STARTED INDEXING COLLECTION +++
2016-01-18 19:28:55.3091|Info|Dopamine.Core.Indexing.Indexer+VB$StateMachine_15_IndexTracksAsync.MoveNext|Tracks removed: 0. Time required: 4023 ms +++
2016-01-18 19:28:56.8353|Info|Dopamine.Core.Indexing.Indexer+VB$StateMachine_15_IndexTracksAsync.MoveNext|Tracks updated: 0. Time required: 706 ms +++
2016-01-18 19:28:56.8568|Info|Dopamine.Core.Indexing.Indexer+VB$StateMachine_15_IndexTracksAsync.MoveNext|Tracks added: 0. Time required: 16 ms +++
2016-01-18 19:28:57.0297|Info|Dopamine.Core.Indexing.Indexer+VB$StateMachine_15_IndexTracksAsync.MoveNext|+++ FINISHED INDEXING COLLECTION: Tracks removed: 0. Tracks updated: 0. Tracks added: 0. Time required: 5744 ms +++
2016-01-18 19:28:57.0497|Info|Dopamine.Core.Indexing.Indexer+VB$StateMachine_16_IndexArtworkAsync.MoveNext|+++ STARTED INDEXING ARTWORK +++
2016-01-18 19:28:57.1318|Info|Dopamine.Core.Indexing.Indexer+VB$StateMachine_16_IndexArtworkAsync.MoveNext|+++ FINISHED INDEXING ARTWORK: Covers deleted from database: 0. Covers deleted from disk: 0. Covers updated: 0. Time required: 74 ms +++
2016-01-18 19:28:57.1693|Info|Synapse.Synapse.Main|Notifying the main application that the indexer is stopped
2016-01-18 19:28:57.1833|Info|Synapse.Synapse.Main|Stopping the LifeBeat Timer
2016-01-18 19:28:57.1898|Info|Synapse.Synapse.Main|<<< Synapse indexer NORMAL stop >>>
2016-01-18 19:29:17.8631|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService.EnableUpdateCheck|Update check: checking for updates. AlsoCheckForPreReleases = False
2016-01-18 19:29:17.8815|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService+VB$StateMachine_16_CheckForUpdatesAsync.MoveNext|Update check: current version = 1.0.0.547
2016-01-18 19:29:19.4620|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService+VB$StateMachine_16_CheckForUpdatesAsync.MoveNext|Update check: latest online version = 0.0.0.0
2016-01-18 19:29:19.4620|Info|Dopamine.Common.Services.Update.UpdateService+VB$StateMachine_16_CheckForUpdatesAsync.MoveNext|Update check: no newer version was found.
2016-01-18 19:30:17.4680|Error|Axon.Axon.LifeBeatTimer_Elapsed|There was no LifeBeat for more than 1 seconds. Stopping now.
2016-01-18 19:30:17.5221|Error|Dopamine.Common.Services.Playback.PlaybackService.LifeBeatTimerElapsed|Could not send lifebeat to player application. Exception: L'objet de communication System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel ne peut pas être utilisé pour la communication car il est dans l'état Faulted.
2016-01-18 19:30:17.5221|Error|Dopamine.Common.Services.Playback.PlaybackService.TryPlay|Could not stop the Player
2016-01-18 19:30:17.6073|Error|Dopamine.Common.Services.Playback.PlaybackService.TryPlay|Could not play the file \\Diskstation\mp3-m4a\Albums\I\In Flames\In Flames-Soundtrack To Your Escape-CD-2004-M4A\03-in flames-dead alone.m4a. LoopMode=None, Shuffle=False. Exception: Une erreur s'est produite lors de la lecture du canal : Erreur non reconnue 109 (0x6d).. StackTrace:
Server stack trace:
   à System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnection.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, TimeSpan timeout)
   à System.ServiceModel.Channels.DelegatingConnection.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, TimeSpan timeout)
   à System.ServiceModel.Channels.SessionConnectionReader.Receive(TimeSpan timeout)
   à System.ServiceModel.Channels.SynchronizedMessageSource.Receive(TimeSpan timeout)
   à System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportDuplexSessionChannel.Receive(TimeSpan timeout)
   à System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportDuplexSessionChannel.TryReceive(TimeSpan timeout, Message& message)
   à System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DuplexChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
   à System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   à System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   à System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   à System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   à System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   à Dopamine.Core.Audio.IPlayer.Play(String iUri)
   à Dopamine.Common.Services.Playback.PlaybackService.TryPlay(TrackInfo iTrackInfo)

However, i love the new version!