Windows 10 build 10041 - System/hard locks

Well, update on mine, I created a Windows 8.1 usb drive, was ready to do away with Windows 10, started to install Windows 8.1 but instead of that setup coming up, the refresh wizard for Windows 10 came up instead, it must've been because I had upgraded from Windows 8.1 it wanted that recovery instead of the Windows 10 one.

So proceeded with the refresh and it completed after a while, back to a default of Windows 10 but it's still on build 10041 and the network and usb are working, not being offered the Nvidia update again so I'm assuming it's still in there.

Really think Microsoft should be giving the option to ignore updates as we could before, especially if it's known a particular Windows 10 update will "brick" the install.

FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=b45a3db5-d8

:)

Awesome :) Thanks for pushing on to find a solution. I've gone back to Windows 8.1 for now, but I will give this a go when I get Fibre installed. Still on 5Mb with a data cap for another 2 weeks. Microsoft may have released another build by then :p

• Like 1

Awesome :) Thanks for pushing on to find a solution. I've gone back to Windows 8.1 for now, but I will give this a go when I get Fibre installed. Still on 5Mb with a data cap for another 2 weeks. Microsoft may have released another build by then [emoji14]

Well, I don't want to claim victory yet and will keep on testing throught the weekend. I'll keep you posted, guys ;)

Guys, pardon me for the double post, but I want to add the info I've shared on Windows Insiders' Forums here as well on the matter of the system hard lockups:

Apart from repairing the system files, I've performed some other tweaks on the system, and it's been stable on my end for the last 24 hours (I keep on testing intensively, of course):

I've got a Radeon R9 290X and I'm using the Windows Update drivers that get installed with build 10041. Then on CCC->Video->Global Video Quality I've unchecked the three options there (enable AMD Video Quality features in supported video player applications, Enforce Smooth Video Playback and Apply current video quality settings to Internet video).

Apart from that, I uninstalled Sapphire TRIXX v4.8.2 (upper versions are buggy even on Windows 7/8.1) and currently I'm not using any other similar software to create custom fan profiles (that is the only reason why I use TRIXX, anyway).

I'm using Firefox v36.0.3 with hardware acceleration enabled and so far so good for the last 24 hours. I've been playing videogames and using video applications that previously would hang up my system such as Youtube or Twitch apps.

Let us hope, the next build from MS will come more polished and with better graphics drivers from both AMD and NVIDIA.

Regards!

Let's see if we can figure the whole thing up together!!!

I had the same issue. Probably caused by the NVIDIA driver. I've downloaded and installed 347.88 driver for W8.1 from their website and the problem seems to be fixed.

• Like 1

I had the same issue. Probably caused by the NVIDIA driver. I've downloaded and installed 347.88 driver for W8.1 from their website and the problem seems to be fixed.

Glad to know. I'm more and more likely to believe the hangs have something to do with the graphics card drivers and video hardware acceleration.

Glad to know. I'm more and more likely to believe the hangs have something to do with the graphics card drivers and video hardware acceleration.

I had the same issue. Probably caused by the NVIDIA driver. I've downloaded and installed 347.88 driver for W8.1 from their website and the problem seems to be fixed.

Yea, that was my original guess. I sadly had to switch to Win8 because of alot of minor issues with this build. Hopefully people can install the driver and see if that fixes the issue.

But that would also degrade the WDDM to 1.3 I guess. Not a big issue ofc.

OK, guys, so I had some time on my hands yesterday and I went for another clean installation of Windows 10 build 10041. This time I was unsuccessful to prevent the problems. Once again I could repair the system files with the method I described here. However I got a hard lockup while watching a film as I opened GPU-Z. Now I'm utterly sure that the culprit here is the DX12 driver we get through Windows Update. I even had my very first black screen since I bought my 290X - something I had never experienced for myself before. I'll give it another go later today and I'll install a different graphic driver to see what happens.

Regards.

I can remember Gabe Aul saying on Twitter they identified and fixed a DX12 issue that caused games to crash. Will probably be in the next build. I wouldn't bother too much with this build.

I have had no problems with this build, but I am using Intel HD Graphics.

I have to agree with the others, I think this is definitely graphics related.

I had it on 2 PCs, one with Nvidia graphics and one with Intel graphics, issue is present immediately on the Nvidia machine but never happens on the Intel machine.

I can remember Gabe Aul saying on Twitter they identified and fixed a DX12 issue that caused games to crash. Will probably be in the next build. I wouldn't bother too much with this build.

Thanks for that. Still, I think it has more to do with the drivers we're receiving through Windows Update for both NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards drivers.

I have had no problems with this build, but I am using Intel HD Graphics.

Indeed, it seems it doesn't affect Intel HD graphics cards users.

I have to agree with the others, I think this is definitely graphics related.

I had it on 2 PCs, one with Nvidia graphics and one with Intel graphics, issue is present immediately on the Nvidia machine but never happens on the Intel machine.

Thanks for that, it definitely seems we've found a pattern here.

Guys, remember to report all the issues through the Windows Feedback application.

One last thing, do you think the problem will affect only those of us who have hardware fully or partially compatible with DX12? For example, I've got a Radeon R9 290X which is apparently partially compatible with DX12.

What graphics cards do you have, guys?

Regards.

Thanks for that. Still, I think it has more to do with the drivers we're receiving through Windows Update for both NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards drivers.

Indeed, it seems it doesn't affect Intel HD graphics cards users.

Thanks for that, it definitely seems we've found a pattern here.

Guys, remember to report all the issues through the Windows Feedback application.

One last thing, do you think the problem will affect only those of us who have hardware fully or partially compatible with DX12? For example, I've got a Radeon R9 290X which is apparently partially compatible with DX12.

What graphics cards do you have, guys?

Regards.

I'm using a GeForce GTX 670 which is apparently partially compatible with DX12

• Like 1

I'm using a GeForce GTX 670 which is apparently partially compatible with DX12

OK, and what about the rest of you suffering the hard lockups? What graphics card do you have?

Getting it as well with an AMD too.  Its always IE that locks up first though, games have been stable for me.  IE is clearly still a work in progress as site compatibility is all over the place, even from the last build.

• Like 1

Getting it as well with an AMD too. Its always IE that locks up first though, games have been stable for me. IE is clearly still a work in progress as site compatibility is all over the place, even from the last build.

I've got lockups using the latest version of Firefox, both stable and nightly builds, and with Internet Explorer, as well as with video related applications, Game Streams (Twitch), Hyper for YouTube, etc.

What AMD card do you have, Dashel?

Anyhow with an ASUS ROG laptop (2014-2015 model) around here and using Windows 10 build 10041? When I installed it, it nuked my sound throughly (would make it scratchy if I turned up the subwoofer any at all). Reverted to 8.1 for the time being.

Hi

I have the continuous beep and laggy mouse problems once in a while and the dwm errors. I'm using Windows 10 build 10041 with an nvidia card. My screen flashes like something is wrong with the driver then BOOM here's my beeping and mouse problem. I can use the keyboard though..

There's a post on the Windows Insiders Forum on this if you search for dwm on that site. I can't post links here for some reason.  

Build 10041 seems to have terrible driver support, as it doesn't work with my soundcard (earlier builds did) and installing nVidia graphics drivers actually broken my install. I'm going to wait until a stable build is released, as right now it's a joke. :no:

I've performed yet another clean install of build 10041. This time, however, I disabled WU driver download at the end of the installation. I've installed the drivers I needed from the hard disk and I'm using Catalyst 14.12 Omega for Windows 8.1; which means no WDDM 2.0 driver, but that's something I did want on purpose.

So far, no hard lock-ups, but I'll keep on testing throughout the following days.

PS: And yes, I used the same trick again to restore the functionality of SFC because, once again, it found corrupted system files after an utter clean install process.

Me too.. My Wifes pc running Fine no issues.

AMD FX-8350
Amd Saphire HD 7750

8Gig Rip Jaws Ram. + some Samsung ram 4Gig (12 Gig total (Mismatched speed (i was thinking that was why so removed ram same issue)

120Gig SSD / 2TB Data/Game HDD

Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 MB.

9926 and Windows 7 64Bit run fine no issues.

Me too.. My Wifes pc running Fine no issues.

AMD FX-8350

Amd Saphire HD 7750

8Gig Rip Jaws Ram. + some Samsung ram 4Gig (12 Gig total (Mismatched speed (i was thinking that was why so removed ram same issue)

120Gig SSD / 2TB Data/Game HDD

Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 MB.

9926 and Windows 7 64Bit run fine no issues.

Well, I didn't have any issues with build 9926 either, but we're discussing build 10041 here, mate ;)

Well, I didn't have any issues with build 9926 either, but we're discussing build 10041 here, mate ;)

The common factor seems to be the DX12 drivers - be they for either AMD or NVidia hardware.

I have two 10041 installs -  one Pro, and one Enterprise.  Both were updates via WU (and to identical-otherwise 437 GB partitions of the same 937 GB (formatted capacity) WD 10EADS ex-MyBook HDD - it was originally my 8.1 boot drive).

The other difference between them was that the Pro update was from 10036, while the Enterprise update was from 9926.

The driver (update from NVidia) is currently 347.88 across 8.1, both 10 Technical Preview installs, and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview.  (My GPU is currently a GTX550Ti - still usable, but older than jello-mold salad.)

I AM looking hard at Maxwell (either GTX750Ti OR GTX960) - however, it's the driver issues that have thrown me into a stall.

• Like 1

Yeah, if you want to get a brand new Maxwell and use it on the current build of Windows 10, take it easy and look for a good bargain. Hopefully, you'll get one by the time these issues are sorted out ;)