Windows 10 build 10041 - System/hard locks

I don't believe an ISO has been released for build 10049. I downloaded and installed the ISO for 10041 and upgraded to 10049. Have not had any lockups during the time 10041 was running, before the upgrade, and continue to not have lockups afterwards.

I made my own ISO from the ESD file downloaded to my disk drive after it was downloaded through Windows Update.

After a clean install of build 10049, I can now confirm that the system hard lockups I was suffering with build 10041 are gone :)

PS: and 'sfc /scannow' works out of the box with build 10049 as well :)

I have updated some chipset drivers and bios, so I'm waiting for any issues to appear again.

Next step is to disable HWA in my browser. Because I have not experienced this when only having a game up and running. So far only with a browser (chrome) running at the same time.

This worked for me, so far.  I didn't actually see the problem until I did a clean install.  My assumption is that I installed the latest chipset drivers when I installed 8.1 and it has just been merrily using them through all the upgrades of Windows 10.  I didn't think to install them when I did the clean install and things would get pretty ugly.  Perhaps the default 10 drivers have some problems with certain chipsets.  My MB is new, but really old (a new Intel DP43 bought surplus to go with an old Core 2 Quad I had laying around).

I did another clean install and had the latest chipset drivers (latest was 2011!) ready to install first thing and haven't seen the problem again.

I confess that I have nothing really to add to this because I'm not even running Windows 10 but after reading through the posts, I was just thinking that if things seem to run for awhile and then lock up, a lot of times it's a memory leak. I had this once on Vista with a Sound Blaster driver. If you go into Performance Monitor and track Memory, a memory leak will often show a (more or less) linear increase in memory used. Memory use will keep increasing until it crashes. This won't tell you what is leaking but it would tell you that a leak was occurring. Just a thought...

• 5 weeks later...

I have been experiencing the lockup issue in Build 10074.  It has locked up three times this week so far.  Usually the same pattern as reported by the OP - I am running Chrome on one monitor, and playing a graphics-intensive game (MineCraft) in the other.  I've tried Windows+L, CTRL+ALT+DELETE, etc. it is completely locked up, and if sound is playing through the speakers it will start looping rapidly the last split second of audio.

System Specs:

- i5-2500 CPU (64-bit)

- 16 GB Ram

- AMD Radeon HD 5670, AMD Driver version 15.200.1018.1 (released 4/1/15) - I typically roll back the WU drivers because of known issues with Skype.

When I check the event log, there is nothing about the shutdown, just entries for the startup post-shutdown about the shutdown being unexpected and yada yada.  What is really curious though is the following entry:

"The previous system shutdown at 11:57:35 PM on ?5/?13/?2015 was unexpected."

Because the lockup and forced shutdown occurred at around 12:20 AM, almost 25 minutes afterward!

It's starting to get very annoying...

~ mellamokb

I have been experiencing the lockup issue in Build 10074. It has locked up three times this week so far. Usually the same pattern as reported by the OP - I am running Chrome on one monitor, and playing a graphics-intensive game (MineCraft) in the other. I've tried Windows+L, CTRL+ALT+DELETE, etc. it is completely locked up, and if sound is playing through the speakers it will start looping rapidly the last split second of audio.

System Specs:

- i5-2500 CPU (64-bit)

- 16 GB Ram

- AMD Radeon HD 5670, AMD Driver version 15.200.1018.1 (released 4/1/15) - I typically roll back the WU drivers because of known issues with Skype.

When I check the event log, there is nothing about the shutdown, just entries for the startup post-shutdown about the shutdown being unexpected and yada yada. What is really curious though is the following entry:

"The previous system shutdown at 11:57:35 PM on ?5/?13/?2015 was unexpected."

Because the lockup and forced shutdown occurred at around 12:20 AM, almost 25 minutes afterward!

It's starting to get very annoying...

~ mellamokb

Try cleaning your video drivers using DDU on safe mode, and then install the latest drivers through Windows Update, there's a new version that was released yesterday.

I ran DDU in safe mode.  But I'm not sure how to get the latest driver through Windows Update?  It says there are no new drivers available, so I installed the latest AMD beta which is about a month old.  How do I get the latest driver?

Also, since I did that Minecraft crashes on startup :/

Thanks!