Falcon 9: NASA Jason 3 mission thread

Watching both streams :)  Listening to the NASA stream (more into the technical stuff without all the SpaceX commentary)...but like the informational layout given in the SpaceX stream.  Yay for triple monitors. :)

Though there is about a 18 second difference between the streams :(

Edit:  Was able to "rewind" the SpaceX stream to make it sync.

20160117_122944.jpg

• Like 2

The Falcon 9's second stage with the Jason 3 satellite reached an orbit with a high point of 1,321 kilometers, a low point of 75 kilometers and an inclination of 66 degrees. SpaceX reports those figures are close to preflight targets.

http://spaceflightnow.com/2016/01/17/falcon-9-jason-3-mission-status-center/

• Like 1

:( hopefully they'll be able to gather plenty of data from it if it is still on the ship even if its in a bad way.

Just now, DocM said:

Sea state broke landing leg

Downloading data from it (?)

Well, at least it hit the target.  Landing on land is hard...landing on a moving barge out in the middle of the ocean...ooof... they'll get it though.

I'm assuming that it is now in the ocean (or in a lot of pieces)?  Any other information about the Falcon 9 aside from hard landing/broken leg.

Just now, Draggendrop said:

?   maybe time for a set of "sea legs" with "damped independent suspension"...?

I was actually thinking... why don't they balance it with gyroscopes and such so that the waves have little effect on the platform? I assume the reason would be that it would either weaken of overcomplicate the ASDS but at least then you'd have a stable landing surface.

The suspension sounds like a good idea though probably difficult to fit into the fuselage of the first stage for liftoff.

• Like 2