Falcon 9: NASA Jason 3 mission thread

Yes...and the beefed up legs and locks may have worked if FT used...

edit...NASA TV off now

Jason-3 is Healthy, Receiving Commands

ason-3’s solar arrays are out, the spacecraft is power positive and engineers are beginning to send it commands, reports Spacecraft Mission Director Parag Vaze.

“The spacecraft looks great,” he confirmed.

The satellite’s arrival in orbit came on the heels of a successful countdown and launch today aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9, with liftoff at 10:42:18 a.m. PST / 1:42:18 p.m. EST from Space Launch Complex 4 at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.

“Getting to today was a long journey,” said NASA Launch Manager Tim Dunn, pointing out that this was the first time the agency’s Launch Services Program flew a mission on a SpaceX rocket.

It was an active countdown, Dunn said, but the NASA and SpaceX teams worked together, culiminating in an on-time launch and a healthy spacecraft in orbit.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/jason-3/2016/01/17/jason-3-is-healthy-receiving-commands/

• Like 1

/s   at one point during the video loss on landing...both u-tube SpaceX channels had almost 50,000 people listening to space elevator music...

1 minute ago, DocM said:

Yeah, baby! Hit that bulls eye!!

I had 2 feet off port side with flag pointing north, on reddit pool, and outer circle starboard on NSF.....:D

Landing stage 1 almost worked; I'm pretty sure they'll get it right at the next attempt. What SpaceX are doing here is nothing short of impressive.

Plus the stage they managed to land works for the most part: http://gizmodo.com/spacexs-returned-rocket-still-fires-mostly-1753442217

• Like 2

That's one tough deck....sweep her off, throw some paint at it...and we're off to the races again.

On another note, there are a lot of parts to obtain data from analysis...I feel real confident on the SES-9 landing, weather permitting.

:)

Looks like the explosion after the topple blew entire engine section overboard or something, with the legs to. Except maybe the failed one that could be underneath the rubble.

I presume there will have been backup cameras so we might just see what happened with the landing and how close it was?